PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What can I do with custard

Hand a friend round tonight, so made some apple crumble with proper HM custard from Jamie Oliver new book (sugar, milk, 8 egg yolks, huge tub of double cream and a vanila pod). Was lovely... if a little expensive. But worth it!

Anyway, got half of the custard left, and dont want to waste it. But I'm not sure what to do with it. Any idea?
SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"

Comments

• apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Slice some bananas into a bowl (or some small bowls) and pour over the custard. Banana custard ... lovely :D
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • You need to not stir it too much or it will go all thin and runny. I would do the banana custard thingie or pour it over some drained fruit cocktail.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • liz.._4
    liz.._4 Posts: 300 Forumite
    could make a pastry case and put some pureed apple in the bottom and cover with the custard, bit like a french flan?
    :)
  • Hummm I'm batting for the banana idea so far. I did pastry last week, took hours, and I cant face it again so soon for doing the apple flan - will remember that idea for another time though. I still have a vanilla pod left so there will be more fresh custard in the house at some point very soon!
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • Churchmouse
    Churchmouse Posts: 3,004 Forumite
    How about, freeze it for a couple of hours, give it a good beat, freeze again, good beat, freeze again, luxury ice-cream!!
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
  • How about, freeze it for a couple of hours, give it a good beat, freeze again, good beat, freeze again, luxury ice-cream!!

Would that really work? I've actually got an icecream maker with its own freezer unit so this would be no trouble at all. Hummmm.
  • Churchmouse
    Churchmouse Posts: 3,004 Forumite
    Never used an ice-cream maker, but the recipe for custard seems rich enough for ice-cream to me!! Maybe someone "in the know" will be along soon enough to confirm or deny!!
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
  • Ice-cream will be just wonderful with your custard mixture in your ice-cream maker! If you also have some pureed fruit/ground nuts, you can add that too
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Ice cream is usually a custard mixture plus more cream and flavouring. Ice cream will definitely work with your leftover custard. I'd make a trifle ;)
  • Thankyou all, as you can see I did the icecream in the end with some chopped wallnuts and had it with the leftover apple crumble. Very nice, but I probably wont sleep tonight with all that sugar in my veins!

custard.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure