Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • apple_mint
    • 13th Oct 06, 9:10 PM
    • 13th Oct 06, 9:10 PM
    Slice some bananas into a bowl (or some small bowls) and pour over the custard. Banana custard ... lovely
    Enjoying an MSE OS life
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 13th Oct 06, 9:15 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    • 13th Oct 06, 9:15 PM
    • 13th Oct 06, 9:15 PM
    You need to not stir it too much or it will go all thin and runny. I would do the banana custard thingie or pour it over some drained fruit cocktail.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • liz..
    • 13th Oct 06, 10:26 PM
    • 13th Oct 06, 10:26 PM
    could make a pastry case and put some pureed apple in the bottom and cover with the custard, bit like a french flan?
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    • 13th Oct 06, 10:45 PM
    • 13th Oct 06, 10:45 PM
    Hummm I'm batting for the banana idea so far. I did pastry last week, took hours, and I cant face it again so soon for doing the apple flan - will remember that idea for another time though. I still have a vanilla pod left so there will be more fresh custard in the house at some point very soon!
    • Churchmouse
    • By Churchmouse 13th Oct 06, 10:48 PM
    • 2,974 Posts
    • 20,708 Thanks
    Churchmouse
    • 13th Oct 06, 10:48 PM
    • 13th Oct 06, 10:48 PM
    How about, freeze it for a couple of hours, give it a good beat, freeze again, good beat, freeze again, luxury ice-cream!!
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    • 13th Oct 06, 10:53 PM
    • 13th Oct 06, 10:53 PM
    How about, freeze it for a couple of hours, give it a good beat, freeze again, good beat, freeze again, luxury ice-cream!!
    by Churchmouse
    Would that really work? I've actually got an icecream maker with its own freezer unit so this would be no trouble at all. Hummmm.
    • Churchmouse
    • By Churchmouse 13th Oct 06, 10:57 PM
    • 2,974 Posts
    • 20,708 Thanks
    Churchmouse
    • 13th Oct 06, 10:57 PM
    • 13th Oct 06, 10:57 PM
    Never used an ice-cream maker, but the recipe for custard seems rich enough for ice-cream to me!! Maybe someone "in the know" will be along soon enough to confirm or deny!!
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 13th Oct 06, 11:24 PM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    • 13th Oct 06, 11:24 PM
    • 13th Oct 06, 11:24 PM
    Ice-cream will be just wonderful with your custard mixture in your ice-cream maker! If you also have some pureed fruit/ground nuts, you can add that too
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 14th Oct 06, 8:23 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Ice cream is usually a custard mixture plus more cream and flavouring. Ice cream will definitely work with your leftover custard. I'd make a trifle
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    Thankyou all, as you can see I did the icecream in the end with some chopped wallnuts and had it with the leftover apple crumble. Very nice, but I probably wont sleep tonight with all that sugar in my veins!

• carlih1
    Hand a friend round tonight, so made some apple crumble with proper HM custard from Jamie Oliver new book (sugar, milk, 8 egg yolks, huge tub of double cream and a vanila pod). Was lovely... if a little expensive. But worth it!

Anyway, got half of the custard left, and dont want to waste it. But I'm not sure what to do with it. Any idea?
    by HappyIdiotTalk

Ooh was thinking of investing in the jo book, whats it like???

C
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    Only had it a day so I've not had a really good read of it yet, but so far I like what I've seen.

This is my first Oliver book so I cant compare with any of his other stuff, but this one caught my eye. Most of the recipes have images of what the finished product will look like which I really like in a recipe book as I think its important to get an idea of what your making.

The descriptions for the recipes are really staightforward and easy to follow. Also the recipes themselves are quite interesting and I'm already planning to try a few.

Yeah I'd probably recommend it, but only if you can find it cheap somewhere. It says 26 on the sleeve! But I got my copy in Sainsburys for 12.99.
  • HappyShopper3
    That looks absolutely delicious Happy. Is that waffles you've put with it? (I've only ever bought the shop made ones, so do you heat them up first?)
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    That looks absolutely delicious Happy. Is that waffles you've put with it? (I've only ever bought the shop made ones, so do you heat them up first?)
    by HappyShopper3
    Those were shop bought too, got them in Aldi last week as they were on offer. They were a bit too sweet and almondy, so I wont be getting them again. Might try and make my own next time.

Everything else was HM though.

It was nice, but my portions were a bit big and I'm now stuffed!
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 14th Oct 06, 9:35 PM
    • 5,797 Posts
    • 40,247 Thanks
    Caterina
    The look of that icecream made me so hungry I am going to rummage in the freezer now for any (shopbought, alas) leftover icecream!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    The look of that icecream made me so hungry I am going to rummage in the freezer now for any (shopbought, alas) leftover icecream!

Caterina
    by Caterina
    Hehe! Did you find any?

If you like icecream you ought to buy a maker. I have one with a built in freezer unit which I treated myself too a couple of years ago (and it does get used).

However before I bought that one I had one of those cheap one's that you take the bowl off and pop in the freezer for 24 hours before using it. And I have to say the quality of the ice-cream from both machines is identical. I bought the one with the inbuilt freezer because it can be used spontaneously without us having to plan anything other than the ingredients.

I can definately recommend them, they are only about 15 and make superb ice-cream, actually better than Hagan Daz and other premium ice-creams. It takes about 20 minutes to make the mixture and 40 minutes to turn it into icecream in the machine. Sainsburys do this luxury continental belgium chocolate that makes absolutely fantastic chocolate icecream that will quite simply blow your socks off! Proper showing off material!
  • nixinix
    inspire me....
    I have a tub of ready made custard (I know not very OS but I ALWAYS curdle hm custard!! lol!) that I need to use in the next couple of days.

I have in SR and plain flour, egg, sugar, butter, treacle, maple syrup, jam, lemons, ready made pastry puff and short crust, and probably more that I haven't thought of as my cupboards are quite full.

My ideas are jam sponge, treacle sponge, lemon sponge and then I can't think of much and they aren't exciting me, pus today is such a nice warm day they seem a bit 'stodgy' so any other ideas that are more exciting....to feed a fussy DH and fussy 3 year old and 1 year old for pudding tonight...?
    Boo!
  • floyd
    I would fold the custard into some whipped cream and use to fill shortcrust pastry cases then top with fresh berries to make a nice summery fruit tartlet
  • nixinix
    sounds beautiful - but I don't have any cream or fresh berries and I was trying to avaoid going to the shops as I always buy more than I go for! So I'll use that for another time
    Boo!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

14Posts Today

4,040Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is why I wrote the guide to financial abuse. It's tough to know when it's happening to you. It's also worth? https://t.co/XGI2sI7hOU

• RT @David_Challen: Really happy @MartinSLewis is raising awareness of economic/financial abuse. My mother cleaned her cousins home for poc?

• Has anyone successfully reclaimed PPI on behalf of a deceased relative. I'm doing a blog on how to do it, and I'd? https://t.co/PHXJXCzvc6

• Follow Martin