Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    • 16th Mar 06, 5:02 PM
    • 16th Mar 06, 5:02 PM
    Great for soup. Be careful if it's a bit salty so don't add any until you've checked. Lentil and tomato would be nice but a carrot soup using a bacon and apple stock would be fine.
    • jan59
    • By jan59 16th Mar 06, 5:05 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    jan59
    • 16th Mar 06, 5:05 PM
    • 16th Mar 06, 5:05 PM
    Today I tried a gammon in the slow cooker. I hadnt any apple juice so I covered the bottom of the slow cooker with water, added two sliced apples and drizzled the lot with honey.

The gammon is in the oven crisping up now but I am left with this lovely smelling stock that I cant bear to throw out. Does anybody have any ideas how I could use it? It is very appley.
    by Izzy.

I often buy a ham hock (or ham shank as they are called around here, but you do get funny looks asking for them in other parts of the country............!) I use the meat for pies, sandwiches (or ham egg and chips on a 'naughty' day) and bits go back into the following soup:

Equal quantities of yellow split peas and red lentils ( I use a mugful each in a pressure cooker) - leave overnight to 'steep', or cook up in pressure cooker and leave to cool. Add finely chopped onion, then grate in carrots, parsnips and swede. Bring to low simmer if cooking on the stove, otherwise pressure cook for about 15 mins. Lovely thick broth - my family call it Gashouse broth in honour of the times when they had to queue at the local gas works for the cinders to go on the fire........ Bit of a family heirloom thing.
    Everything in moderation..............including moderation..............
  • ladygrey
    • 16th Mar 06, 6:10 PM
    • 16th Mar 06, 6:10 PM
    carrot soup using gammon/apple stock sounds scrummy
  • Wonder_Girl
    • 13th Oct 06, 6:50 PM
    Gammon water...
    • 13th Oct 06, 6:50 PM
    I bought a shiny new slowcooker the other day, and i have cooked in it for the first time

I cooked a gammon joint and now have gammon juice left over, i was planning on making a beef stew tomorrow, can i use the gammon stock as the base for my beef stew? or will it not taste nice?

Thank you
    All comments and advice given is my own opinion and does not represent the views or advice of any debt advice organisation.

DFW Nerd #132
  • gerretl
    • 13th Oct 06, 7:18 PM
    It probably wont. The water is very salty. If you are cooking gammon agin, seriously consider cooking it in Coca Cola. I kid thee not. We marinated one in coke, and baked it last christmas. It was great
    "Don't critisise what people look like, how they speak, where they are from, and what they are called. They cannot help it.
    Do critisise what they say, and what they do, especially if what they say is different to what they do. They can help that"

Anon

"Life is the three weeks and six days between paydays" - gerretl

£2 savers club =£42
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 13th Oct 06, 7:18 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    TBH it might taste a bit iffy if you use the gammon water - much better would be to chop an onion, a couple of carrots, a bit of celery and a mug of lentils and throw them into the slow cooker with the gammon water and you will get a bit pot of lovely lentil soup. Or you could make a kind of meatless hotpot with shredded cabbage, sliced onions and finely sliced potatoes. Season with white pepper, pour the gammon water over, dot with butter and bake in the proper oven for about an hour and a half. Will be lovely served with the gammon itself.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 13th Oct 06, 7:25 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 13th Oct 06, 7:25 PM
    • 13th Oct 06, 7:25 PM
    I always cook my gammon in apple juice then use what's left over as a base for veg soup (with or without bits of ham in it) It tastes deelish and in fact I made another HUGE pan full today.

As for using it with beef - probably not the best idea. Just freeze it until you want to use it
  • Wonder_Girl
    • 13th Oct 06, 7:27 PM
    • 13th Oct 06, 7:27 PM
    It probably wont. The water is very salty. If you are cooking gammon agin, seriously consider cooking it in Coca Cola. I kid thee not. We marinated one in coke, and baked it last christmas. It was great
    by gerretl
    Well I would have never thought if that! So next time just chuck it in the slow cooker and cover in coke? Iíll give anything a try once

TBH it might taste a bit iffy if you use the gammon water - much better would be to chop an onion, a couple of carrots, a bit of celery and a mug of lentils and throw them into the slow cooker with the gammon water and you will get a bit pot of lovely lentil soup. Or you could make a kind of meatless hotpot with shredded cabbage, sliced onions and finely sliced potatoes. Season with white pepper, pour the gammon water over, dot with butter and bake in the proper oven for about an hour and a half. Will be lovely served with the gammon itself.
    by recovering spendaholic
    Ohh i like the sound of that last thing! I might do that to serve with it next time it sounds lovely

Thank you both
    All comments and advice given is my own opinion and does not represent the views or advice of any debt advice organisation.

DFW Nerd #132
  • Wonder_Girl
    I always cook my gammon in apple juice then use what's left over as a base for veg soup (with or without bits of ham in it) It tastes deelish and in fact I made another HUGE pan full today.

As for using it with beef - probably not the best idea. Just freeze it until you want to use it
    by Ticklemouse
    Oh thats a great idea! I'll make a veg soup overnight then do my stew from scratch tomorrow

I didn't think it would be a good idea but i thought "heck, these OS's have come up with things a lot stranger"

DFW Nerd #132
    • liz545
    • By liz545 13th Oct 06, 9:36 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 16,706 Thanks
    liz545
    by gerretl
    I did this, based on the recipe in Nigella Lawson's Feast and it turned out really well - moist, and kind of spicy tasting. She suggests using the cooking water to cook red cabbage, which I haven't tried, but it's very OS!
  • Rachel021967
    I used to put the gammon juice in my liver and onion casserole. My mum and I used to love this but unfortunately my husband and children turn their noses up at liver.
  • Trishh
    I use it for making Lentil & Bacon soup.
    Also great for pamphrey & gammon soup. Just save some of the gammon chopped up. Gorgeous!
    • Becles
    • By Becles 14th Oct 06, 7:19 AM
    • 12,878 Posts
    • 26,242 Thanks
    Becles
    I put a bag of yellow split peas in and leave it cooking in the slow cooker until it forms a mushy paste, called Pease Pudding.

It's a traditional Northumbrian food and tastes gorgeous spread in ham sandwiches.
    Here I go again on my own....
    • FunkyFairy
    • By FunkyFairy 14th Oct 06, 7:21 AM
    • 844 Posts
    • 1,960 Thanks
    FunkyFairy
    I always use the gammon water as a type of gravy over the dinner.
    • emg
    • By emg 14th Oct 06, 7:49 AM
    • 1,377 Posts
    • 4,515 Thanks
    emg
    I love gammon in coke too - highly recommended! I think Nigella also uses her left over Coke to make a black bean soup so its still OS and MSE!
  • Brassic
    I love gammon in coke too - but I love the London Particular much better (the water cooked with some yellow split peas, fried onions etc and the remainders of the ham (or some normal fried bacon) - ooooooh yummmmmy.
    Debts @ lightbulb moment (13/06/2006) - £59,842.23 All commercial debts now clear!!! Debts April - £20,000 to family (incl extra £10k borrowed for house deposit). DFD - Aug 2014
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    Goal of the month - £500 on groceries for family of 5 - Apr 2011 - £620! May - £454.85 so far.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 14th Oct 06, 8:39 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    I use it for making Lentil & Bacon soup.
    Also great for pamphrey & gammon soup. Just save some of the gammon chopped up. Gorgeous!
    by Trishh
    What's that ?

I'd definitely make soup of some kind with the gammon stock. Any pulse will be great with it
  • Trishh
    hi thriftlady ... It's like a Savoy cabbage .... can't really see/taste any difference in the two ... and I have used both for the soup. Maybe, what they're called, depends where they're bought? I'm N.Ireland and have seen them both, with different names :confused:
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 14th Oct 06, 6:14 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Thanks Trish , I have never heard of pamphrey in my life and I'm pretty well informed on all things edible Anyone else know anything about this ? Sounds abit like the swede/turnip question
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,143Posts Today

7,509Users online

Martin's Twitter