Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • growingafamily
    • 13th Oct 06, 3:39 PM
    • 13th Oct 06, 3:39 PM
    check out this thread on the new Christmas and winter festivals board http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=281136
    HTH !!
    • Austin Allegro
    • By Austin Allegro 21st Aug 08, 3:24 PM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 4,072 Thanks
    Austin Allegro
    • 21st Aug 08, 3:24 PM
    Poor Man's Christmas Pudding
    • 21st Aug 08, 3:24 PM
    I know it's a bit early for Christmas but I made this by accident. Sorry I didn't make a note of the measurements so you'll have to experiment:

Ingredients

Stale bread
    Blackberries
    Mixed fruit
    Brown sugar
    Milk
    Water

Method
    Soak/mash the bread in a little milk and water until soft, add the berries and mixed fruit and sugar and mash it all up. There should be enough berries for it to be really dark and juicy. If it gets very soggy mix a bit of cornflour in. Put a bit more sugar on top and bake it (I just zapped it in the microwave for a few minutes until crusty on top). Serve with cream in front of the Queen's Speech!
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
    • Ishtar
    • By Ishtar 29th Oct 08, 1:31 PM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 11,332 Thanks
    Ishtar
    • 29th Oct 08, 1:31 PM
    Help! Looking for Christmas Pudding recipe (from Prima 2005)
    • 29th Oct 08, 1:31 PM
    Hi All
    Title says it all really....I've misplaced a load of recipes during my recent move and wondered whether any of you lovely people could lay your hands on the Prima magazine recipe for Christmas pudding (I'm pretty sure it's from 2005).

It's the one I've used every year since it was published and it makes a fairly light, moist pud. Off the top of my head I can recall a couple of the ingredients - 1/4pt rum, grated carrot, and (I think) it included a bag of luxury mixed fruit (not that I'd use this particular ingredient).

I would be eternally grateful if anyone can help!
    Many thanks
    D
    • ellie14
    • By ellie14 29th Oct 08, 3:21 PM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 12,011 Thanks
    ellie14
    • 29th Oct 08, 3:21 PM
    xmas puddng
    • 29th Oct 08, 3:21 PM
    Hi,I have just made mine I used the Delia one its very good ,its on her web page or I could give it to you.There is no carrot grated apple,leave to absorb flavours for a day .Checked a few web sites found them to be all very similar ingredients,mine are boiling as we speak.
    • Ishtar
    • By Ishtar 29th Oct 08, 4:46 PM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 11,332 Thanks
    Ishtar
    • 29th Oct 08, 4:46 PM
    • 29th Oct 08, 4:46 PM
    Thanks for the offer - I've got the Delia one, which I used to make in the past, but it just gives too much pud....

Never mind....we'll have to have a change this year!

Cheers
    D
    • Scarlett25
    • By Scarlett25 29th Oct 08, 6:50 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    Scarlett25
    • 29th Oct 08, 6:50 PM
    • 29th Oct 08, 6:50 PM
    Maybe you could try emailing Prima mag and ask if they have a copy of the recipe Ishtar? It's worth a go!
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 29th Oct 08, 9:39 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    • 29th Oct 08, 9:39 PM
    • 29th Oct 08, 9:39 PM
    It is on their website just click this link x
    http://www.allaboutyou.com/index.php?module=articles&func=recipe&action=searc h&phrase=christmas+pudding
    • Ishtar
    • By Ishtar 30th Oct 08, 8:16 AM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 11,332 Thanks
    Ishtar
    • 30th Oct 08, 8:16 AM
    • 30th Oct 08, 8:16 AM
    Thanks guys...I'd looked on their website, ButterflyBrain, but couldn't see it - there's some great alternatives there though, so I'll give one of these a try

Great suggestion Scarlett25 - I'll give it a go. Nothing ventured, and all that.

It's maddening, I'd kept it somewhere safe, but in the chaos of moving it's somehow become lost. No doubt it'll turn up - either when I've made an alternative, or sometime in the new year...:rolleyes:

Thanks again for looking....
    D
    Last edited by Ishtar; 30-10-2008 at 8:22 AM.
  • Daisymac
    Is this not the one ?, this was from the website Butterflybrain referred so TY Butterfly:

125g (4oz) each sultanas, currants and raisins
    50g (2oz) ready-to-eat dried figs, chopped
    11/2tbsp brandy
    50ml (2fl oz) brown ale
    Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon and 1/2 orange
    50g (2oz) plain fl our
    1/4tsp each mixed spice and cinnamon
    Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
    125g (4oz) fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
    50g (2oz) shredded suet
    75g (3oz) dark brown sugar
    40g (11/2oz) blanched almonds, chopped
    1 small carrot, grated
    1 apple, peeled and grated
    2 medium eggs, beaten
    A little butter to grease

1. Put the dried fruit into a non-metallic bowl with the brandy, ale, zest and juice. Cover and soak overnight.

2. Add the remaining ingredients, apart from the butter, to the bowl and stir well.

3. Grease a 1 litre (1 3/4 pint) pudding basin and line with a 61cm (24in) square piece of muslin. Spoon the mixture into the basin, packing it down fi rmly, and level the top. Gather the muslin together and secure with string, trimming any excess cloth.

4. Tie string round the basin just under the rim and knot. Make a handle by bringing the ends over the top of the bowl and tying them to the string on the other side.

5. To cook the pudding, put the basin on an upturned saucer in a deep pan. Pour in enough water to reach halfway up the sides of the basin, then cover and bring to a simmer. Cook for 6hr. Make sure the pan never boils dry by topping it up with boiling water as necessary.

6. Remove the pudding from the pan and leave to cool, then lift it out of the basin, keeping it in its muslin cloth, and wrap in clingfi lm and a double layer of foil. Store in a cool, dark place. The pudding will keep for up to one year if wrapped tightly.
    • Ishtar
    • By Ishtar 30th Oct 08, 3:57 PM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 11,332 Thanks
    Ishtar
    Is this not the one ?, this was from the website Butterflybrain referred so TY Butterfly:
    Originally posted by Daisymac
    Thanks for that, but sadly it's not the one.

The one I had contained no suet and only had rum as the alcohol content - a quarter pint of the stuff..... It also had prunes and dried apricots and a bag of luxury mixed fruit...and the best part was that you only had to steam for 3 hours, with a 1 hour steam on Christmas day.

If I could only remember quantities and the missing ingredients then I'd be all set....

Thanks again.
    D
    • FZwanab
    • By FZwanab 2nd Nov 08, 7:51 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    FZwanab
    Hi, I found one from an old prima circa 2005/2006 and it is called Christmas Figgy pudding and has ready to eat figs in it. If this is the one you are after I will type it out for you.
    Penny xxx
    Old age isn't bad when you consider the alternative.
    • Ishtar
    • By Ishtar 3rd Nov 08, 7:10 AM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 11,332 Thanks
    Ishtar
    Hi, I found one from an old prima circa 2005/2006 and it is called Christmas Figgy pudding and has ready to eat figs in it. If this is the one you are after I will type it out for you.
    Originally posted by FZwanab
    Thanks FZwanab - sounds like it could be the one - I remember it had ready-to-eat dried fruit in it! If you wouldn't mind typing it out that would be great....

Thanks again.
    D
    • FZwanab
    • By FZwanab 9th Nov 08, 5:47 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    FZwanab
    Hi,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, here is the recipe that I hope is the one you wanted:

Christmas Figgy Pudding:

A dark, moist pudding with chewy figs and a hint of ginger.

Serves 12, Prep 15 mins, plus soaking overnight. Cook 3 hours. Cost per portion 37p. Cals per portion 320, fat per portion 14g, carbs per portion 43g.

225g ready to eat figs, roughly chopped
    125g raisins
    125g prunes, roughly chopped
    100ml brandy
    75g plain flour
    75g breadcrumbs
    125g light suet
    125g brown sugar
    50g brazil nuts, chopped
    2 tsp ground ginger
    1tsp ground cloves
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 tblsp black treacle
    You will need a 1.1 litre pudding basin, greased with a circle of grease proof paper on the base.

1. In a bowl add figs, raisins and prunes, and add brandy. Cover and leave to soak overnight.
    2. In another bowl, mix flour, breadcrumbs, suet and sugar. Add nuts, spices, eggs and treacle and mix well. Tip in fruit and stir until combined. It should be a moist dropping consistency. If it is a bit dry add a splash more brandy or orange juice. Pile mixture into prepared pudding basin and use a spoon to level top.
    3. Add a layer of pleated greaseproof paper over mixture and top with a sheet of pleated tinfoil that overlaps rim of basin. Tie a double length of string around rim to secure the foil, adding a loop over top to form a handle. Place basin in a large saucepan and pour in enough hot water to come half way up sides of basin. Cover with a lid and boil gently for 3 hours, topping up the water level as necessary.
    4. Remove and re-top with clean greaseproof paper and tinfoil, and store in a cool, dry place until Christmas.

Hope that helps you and sorry for the delay in posting.
    Penny xxx
    Old age isn't bad when you consider the alternative.
    • Ishtar
    • By Ishtar 10th Nov 08, 5:12 PM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 11,332 Thanks
    Ishtar
    Thank you so much, FZwanab! It's very kind of you to type it out. It's very similar to the one I've lost - I can crack on with it now....

I knew that if I asked on here someone would be able to help. What a great bunch of people you are!

Cheers
    D
    x
  • nannysue
    Christmas Pudding with Carrots????
    :confused: Hi All

Years ago my mum had a recipe for Christmas Pudding made with carrots. Apparently it was issued by the War Ministry. It was absolutley delicious but we seem to have lost the recipe and mum can't remember how she made it (well she is 85 now!)
    Anyone have any ideas on this.

Thanks in advance

Nannysue:confused:
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 11th Feb 09, 11:41 AM
    • 7,474 Posts
    • 24,351 Thanks
    newlywed
    Was it war and peace pudding?

http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/ww2leaflet.html

Word document download: http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/ww2words.doc
    Last edited by newlywed; 11-02-2009 at 11:44 AM.

DMP support thread (member #32)

• nannysue
    Originally posted by newlywed
    Just had a read. It could well be. I'll run it past mum.

Thanks for your help.

Nannysue
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 1st Oct 09, 9:32 AM
    • 942 Posts
    • 3,750 Thanks
    angelpye
    Desperately seeking Guardian/ Observer Christmas pudding recipe from 2 years ago
    Hi all,
    Just wondering if any of you have a recipe for Christmas Puddings that was in the Guardian/ Observer recipes two years ago. It was a fab recipe with almonds etc and I think it was by someone like Nigel Slater.

We made loads and gave them as part presents and I would really like to do it again - problem is the recipe is gone!!!

I know its a long shot but thought if anyone would have it then it would be one of you!

many thanks in advance
    angelpye
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 1st Oct 09, 12:22 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Hi all,
    Just wondering if any of you have a recipe for Christmas Puddings that was in the Guardian/ Observer recipes two years ago. It was a fab recipe with almonds etc and I think it was by someone like Nigel Slater.

We made loads and gave them as part presents and I would really like to do it again - problem is the recipe is gone!!!

I know its a long shot but thought if anyone would have it then it would be one of you!

many thanks in advance
    angelpye
    Originally posted by angelpye
    I make this one, and it's delicious The only Guardian one I can find is from 2005 :confused: I seem to remember one from last year, but can't find it :confused:

I'll add this to the exisitng C*** pudding thread later (sorry, my keyboard won't type the C-word before December )

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,540Users online

Martin's Twitter