Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 11th Feb 05, 8:54 PM
    • 5,482Posts
    • 3,081Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Parsnips!!!
    • 11th Feb 05, 8:54 PM
    Parsnips!!! 11th Feb 05 at 8:54 PM
    For some reason I have a rather large quantity of parsnips in my fridge!

(Ok, I do know how they got there ... I ordered 2 parsnips from Tesco, not realising it meant 2 bags of parsnips ) ... ok, you can stop laughing over there )

Soooo ...... apart from roasting them, do any of you have any other tasty recipes that I can use them up in before they go too soft? Maybe even a soup, although I don't think I've ever tasted a parsnip soup before so not sure how that would turn out. I've already thought about half-cooking then freezing them but my freezer is busting at the seams atm :rolleyes:
Page 1
    • MATH
    • By MATH 11th Feb 05, 9:29 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    • 11th Feb 05, 9:29 PM
    • 11th Feb 05, 9:29 PM
    How about fusing the two dishes and make Roasted Parsnip Soup. (Don't laught - I ate it in a restaurant once and it was nice). I don't know how to make it but if I were to have a stab I would follow a recipe for potato soup and substitute pots for roast parsnips. HTH

I once order what I thought was 1 BAG of potatoes from tesco and received one very sad and lonely ONE Potato. sniff sniff
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    • aycor
    • By aycor 11th Feb 05, 9:36 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    aycor
    • 11th Feb 05, 9:36 PM
    soup
    • 11th Feb 05, 9:36 PM
    curried parsnip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Glad
    • By Glad 11th Feb 05, 9:40 PM
    • 17,946 Posts
    • 39,873 Thanks
    Glad
    • 11th Feb 05, 9:40 PM
    • 11th Feb 05, 9:40 PM
    curried parsnip soup is lovely

500g parsnips, sliced
    50g carrots, diced
    1 large leek, sliced
    1 onion, chopped
    1 chicken stock cube
    1 vegetable stock cube
    1 tbsp curry paste
    1 tsp cumin powder
    1 tbsp half fat creme fraiche or cream
    Seasoning
    Enough water to cover the vegetables

Bring to the boil and simmer for 30-35 mins or until the vegetables are tender. Liquidise until smooth along with the creme fraiche. Add extra water to achieve the consistency you prefer
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 11th Feb 05, 9:44 PM
    • 9,813 Posts
    • 24,060 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    • 11th Feb 05, 9:44 PM
    • 11th Feb 05, 9:44 PM
    or, if you have the freezer space, you could always wash, peel and chop them and then freeze them until you are ready to use them
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 11th Feb 05, 11:53 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 11th Feb 05, 11:53 PM
    • 11th Feb 05, 11:53 PM
    Curried parsnip soup sounds yummy!!!

I also have all the ingredients listed (glad I saved some creme fraiche earlier) so I'm going to be making some tomorrow! I did wonder if something like cumin might compliment the parsnips so I'm pleased to see it in the recipe
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 11th Feb 05, 11:57 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 11th Feb 05, 11:57 PM
    • 11th Feb 05, 11:57 PM
    How about fusing the two dishes and make Roasted Parsnip Soup. (Don't laught - I ate it in a restaurant once and it was nice). I don't know how to make it but if I were to have a stab I would follow a recipe for potato soup and substitute pots for roast parsnips. HTH
    by MATH
    Great idea!!!

I made a Roasted Butternut Squash & Tomato soup recently so could use the same method for the parsnips. It was absolutely delicious and if anyone wants the recipe I'll post it. Also very low-fat and healthy

I once order what I thought was 1 BAG of potatoes from tesco and received one very sad and lonely ONE Potato. sniff sniff
    PMSL!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
    • crana999
    • By crana999 12th Feb 05, 7:37 AM
    • 572 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    crana999
    • 12th Feb 05, 7:37 AM
    • 12th Feb 05, 7:37 AM
    add to stews or casseroles
    • elona
    • By elona 12th Feb 05, 10:10 AM
    • 11,145 Posts
    • 63,420 Thanks
    elona
    • 12th Feb 05, 10:10 AM
    • 12th Feb 05, 10:10 AM
    Make a vegetable curry - just add onions and any odds and ends with some tomatoes and curry spices . I did this in the slow cooker and it was lovely.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • The_Biff
    • By The_Biff 12th Feb 05, 11:19 AM
    • 397 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    The_Biff
    crisps (use a peeler to get them thin) or chips.
    Nice to save.
  • aussielle
    I love parsnips, sometimes I add them to casseroles or soup. They are nice boiled and mashed, but my favourite has to be
    peeled, rolled in honey and sesame seeds, then roasted in the oven
    Laughter is the sun
    that drives winter
    from the human face
    • MimiJane
    • By MimiJane 12th Feb 05, 3:30 PM
    • 7,628 Posts
    • 49,803 Thanks
    MimiJane
    crisps (use a peeler to get them thin) or chips.
    by The_Biff
    I make "healthy" parsnip chips all the time. Just cut into large chip shape chunks, boil for 3 minutes, spray a baking tray with olive oil/frylight, cover with a little more oil and bake for 20/25 minutes on the highest setting. (I also sprinkle paprika on before they go into the oven).

A great favourite with the family.
    Wins since 2009 = 16,880

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS. - xx
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 12th Feb 05, 3:31 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Some excellent ideas there, thanks everyone
    • Yoga Girl
    • By Yoga Girl 12th Feb 05, 7:12 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Yoga Girl
    PARSNIP PATTIES

2 large parsnips (or 4 small ones) peeled and quatered
    1 tbsp margarine
    50g (2oz) plain flour
    oil

- Steam the parsnips until tender then turn into a bowl and mash.

- Add the margarine and enough flour to thicken the mash and mix well.

- Form into small patties. (about 4).

- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the patties on both sides until crisp and golden brown.

- Serve with a selection of lightly-steamed green vegatables or a large salad.

• ravenlooney
    [QUOTE=Curry_Queen]For some reason I have a rather large quantity of parsnips in my fridge!

(Ok, I do know how they got there ... I ordered 2 parsnips from Tesco, not realising it meant 2 bags of parsnips ) ... ok, you can stop laughing over there )
    QUOTE]
    LOL!! I did exactly the same thing, ordered what I thought was 3 parsnips and received 3 bags of the things. I just sent 2 of them back with the driver and made a lovely pot of carrot and parsnip soup!!
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 12th Feb 05, 8:08 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    Can i come for tea? I love them and am the only person in the house who does
    Have you tried putting some mashed parsnip in with some bread mixture to see what happens? It works with potato...
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Queenie
    Parsnip Suet Pudding: Instead of filling a Steak n Kidney pudding with meat, use the following:

2lb parsnip (diced), grated cheese (about lb) 1 leek, sliced; seasoning. Steam for 2hrs.

Parsnip Rosti: Make as for potato rosti but use parsnips! Or, use half potato and half parsnip

I love, love, LOVE parsnips, but my family don't
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Lillibet
    If any have gone soft boil up with potatoes & mix in with the potato mash, it's particaully lovely on a shepherds or cottage pie or in a cheesy potato pie.
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 14th Feb 05, 2:58 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    Seems to be happening all over the place. I was chatting to a friend yesterday who out of the blue said his wife was waiting for the Tesco.com order, but once she ordered 1 bag of parsnips, got 1 single parsnip, so next week ordered 4, and you've guessed it - got 4 bags!

Off to make a shepherds pie with a swede/carrot middle layer, unless I've any parsnips lounging around the place...
  • Lucie
    I like parsnip mash - just peel & cut into chunks along with equal quantity of potato. Treat exactly as mash.

As for soup try apple & parsnip - scrummy. Use cooking apples - again equal amounts of apples & parsnip, peeled & cut into chunks. Soften in a bit of butter, add plenty of stock, simmer until parsnips soft (apple may well have disintegrated into mush). Whizz in a blender & add milk/cream as desired.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,124Posts Today

6,508Users online

Martin's Twitter