Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Trudi_Lavigne
    Overlockers - advice please!
    • 10th Oct 06, 10:06 PM
    Overlockers - advice please! 10th Oct 06 at 10:06 PM
    Hi, I am considering getting a second hand overlocker to recycle old clothes and possibly make up some new ones, but I'm not quite sure what the different models do, ie 3 spool or 4 spool etc. Does anyone know, or know of a good website that could explain.

Also, what makes are good in your opinion? I notice that Sewland seem to be the cheapest on ebay, are they rubbish or acceptable for a beginner?

I have owned and used a sewing machine for years, so am very confident with that, just have no real idea about overlockers.

Any advice greatfully accepted!
    Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 25-09-2007 at 7:40 PM.
    something missing
Page 1
  • npsmama
    • 10th Oct 06, 11:33 PM
    • 10th Oct 06, 11:33 PM
    I've got a Stitchmaster overlocker which is brilliant. It's easy to thread and is very well made.

TBH, I think it's better to get a new one.

A couple of more knowledgable people than me told me this when I was looking to buy - they said most second hand ones have been hammered so it's not worth it. Also some of the older ones are so difficult to thread it's a real nightmare, this has been a real problem in the past with overlockers. As far as I know most new ones are very easy to thread.

I paid £180 for mine I think and apparently it should last for 12 years - even with heavy daily use (not that I use it to that extent!).

It pays to shop around. I got mine from www.jaycotts.co.uk.

Lastly, I would definitely go for a 4 spool.

HTH!
    "Finish each day And be done with it.
    You have done what you could.
    Some blunders and Absurdities have crept in.
    Forget them as soon as you can."

• Rikki
    • By Rikki 26th Apr 07, 3:53 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    • 26th Apr 07, 3:53 PM
    • 26th Apr 07, 3:53 PM
    Which overlocker would you recommend?

Secondhand or new?

All advice grateful.
    2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • haley
    • 26th Apr 07, 3:57 PM
    • 26th Apr 07, 3:57 PM
    Hi. Aldi have them on sale at the moment, not sure of price, £129.99 I think.
    Best of luck.
    • Idiophreak
    • By Idiophreak 26th Apr 07, 4:14 PM
    • 11,636 Posts
    • 15,175 Thanks
    Idiophreak
    • 26th Apr 07, 4:14 PM
    • 26th Apr 07, 4:14 PM
    Oh, OK, this is a topic about overlockers, not overclockers...I'll get me coat
  • csarina
    • 26th Apr 07, 6:14 PM
    • 26th Apr 07, 6:14 PM
    I have used an overlocker for many years, a 3 thread will just edge to prevent it unravelling. A 4 thread will also lock a seam.

Have a look on ebay.................personally I have always had Janome, but then I am baised I used to work for them............ You should also be able to adjust the feed through the machine, the width of the stitch and move the knife down so you do not cut, just overlock the egde.

You can also do narrow hems, etc..........
    • Zed42
    • By Zed42 26th Apr 07, 9:11 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 5,621 Thanks
    Zed42
    • 26th Apr 07, 9:11 PM
    • 26th Apr 07, 9:11 PM
    I have an Elna 744, which is a 4 thread.

I bought this a couple of years ago, and advice that I was given then, was try out the model you want. Do not buy without trying one.

I went on an overlocker course, where we all took our own machines.
    One lady spent all day attempting to thread hers and failed. Just goes to show that some machines are complete pigs to thread

I'm not sure I'd be happy to buy one from eBay, as you won't have the chance of trying it.

Good luck with your hunt
    2017:

GC - Jan -

• the optimist
    • 26th Apr 07, 11:21 PM
    • 26th Apr 07, 11:21 PM
    Right, I'm going to be the brave one who's asking: What's an overlocker???
    He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
    Chinese Proverb
  • reggieq1911
    • 27th Apr 07, 9:15 AM
    • 27th Apr 07, 9:15 AM
    bernina is the best. Try for the 007 second hand perhaps from a reputable shop. Where do you live?
    • dannahaz
    • By dannahaz 27th Apr 07, 9:57 AM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 4,413 Thanks
    dannahaz
    Another person who has to ask: What is an overlocker? How does it differ to a sewing machine?
  • Mrs Flittersnoop
    an overlocker is a 'finishing off' machine really. If you look inside your t shirts at the seams you will see a row of loops on both sides of the seam which enclose the edges of the fabric. An overlocker does this, it trims off the edges and neatens them with the stitches at the same time. Some can also do the double row of stitches round the hem of t shirts and other knitted articles (this is called a cover stitch).

It's a bit like having a microwave in your kitchen as well as a cooker, not absolutely necessary (you can't sew a whole garment with one) but really nice to have (when they work properly ) saves time when finishing off seams and it looks professional.

I have quite an old Elna 704DEX which is temperamental and quite tricky to thread but when it's working well, it's fine. If I was going to get another one (fat chance!) I would buy a Bernina, I have a Bernina sewing machine and guard it with my life

Mrs F xx
  • Mariel
    I bought the Aldi one, it is brilliant. I think it was £100. It is the first one I have owned so I can't really compare it but for the price it is great and has made such a difference to the stuff I make. It is so simple to thread as well and the instructions are good.
  • Mother_Hub
    Having been an overlocker and not an overclocker many moons ago, I know you can sew a whole garment with one. I have only used an industrial overlocking machine so I could not recommend one.
    World of Warcraft Widow No 1
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 30th Apr 07, 5:51 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    I have an Elna 744, which is a 4 thread.

I bought this a couple of years ago, and advice that I was given then, was try out the model you want. Do not buy without trying one.

Good luck with your hunt
    Originally posted by Zed42
    I have found one I like but there is only the demonstaration model left. It will have a good discount and the same guarantee as new one. Should I go for it or should I stay away from ex demonstration models?
    2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • csarina
    There should not be a problem with a demo model, they have usually been well cared for and run in so any little glitches will have been ironed out. I have bought demo models in the past and never had a problem with them.
  • looby-loo
    overclocker! I once watched a demo by a lady who made M&S fully fashioned lambswool jumpers on piecework. Hard to remember but I think each jumper took her about 2 minutes from start to finish to complete

Bernina gets my vote.
    Last edited by looby-loo; 01-05-2007 at 10:52 PM. Reason: b in lamb - dhuuuur!
    Doing voluntary work overseas for as long as it takes .......
    My DD might make the odd post for me
  • Mrs Flittersnoop
    I have found one I like but there is only the demonstaration model left. It will have a good discount and the same guarantee as new one. Should I go for it or should I stay away from ex demonstration models?
    Originally posted by Rikki
    Rikki, if you like the machine and are comfortable with the threading/use etc then why not go for it, I doubt it's been used that much in demonstrations and if it's a good price then it will be a bargain, these things are expensive. good luck!

Realised I should not have jumped the gun and said you couldn't sew a whole garment with an overlocker , well, yes you can, very simple garments etc, but my sewing machine also puts in zips, makes buttonholes and sews on buttons as well as makes fancy stitches and would even embroider my name if I wanted it to. My overlocker (which admittedly is not an industrial one, so I have no idea what they can do) can't do any of these things. I still use it almost every time I make something though, and I love the rolled hem facility, that's a beautiful stitch.

Mrs F xx
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 2nd May 07, 6:48 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    Whats the best way of finding a class in your area?

NPFM 21
  • Mrs Flittersnoop
    Whats the best way of finding a class in your area?
    Originally posted by Rikki
    Does the shop selling the machine not give lessons? If not, try Googling the name of your machine and try and find the main UK dealer and ask them if they run classes in your area.

Hope this helps
    Mrs F x
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 7th May 07, 10:21 AM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    Does the shop selling the machine not give lessons? If not, try Googling the name of your machine and try and find the main UK dealer and ask them if they run classes in your area.

Hope this helps
    Mrs F x
    Originally posted by Mrs Flittersnoop

The shop is only a small affair and they will go through the basics. I am looking for classes which will show me how to get the most from it.
    I pick it up next weekend and I will google for lessons.

NPFM 21
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

849Posts Today

6,058Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: As everyone knows, you're a creative genius with an huge range of highly honed skills.? https://t.co/KV5FHAqK6v

• Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Follow Martin