Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 18th Aug 04, 5:55 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Credit Card Security Hint
    • 18th Aug 04, 5:55 PM
    Credit Card Security Hint 18th Aug 04 at 5:55 PM
    Note for the Great Shredder Hunt click here

QUICK HINT FOR BAR GOERS, EATERS AND CLUBBERS: Nope, sorry, not cheap booze, just a security note. !Pay by credit card & annoyingly many pubs/clubs receipts print the full credit card number. !Its ridiculous frankly. !Leaving these receipts hanging around makes fraud easier. !Always check to see if the numbers there, if it is just rip the right hand edge off the receipt, getting rid of the last through numbers, stuff that bit in your pocket (so theres only a little rubbish) and leave the rest on the bar.

To dicscuss this or other security hints, click reply
Page 1
  • Galstonian
    • 18th Aug 04, 6:04 PM
    Re: Credit Card Security Hint
    • 18th Aug 04, 6:04 PM
    Don't drink and charge is my advice!

I'd hate to count the number of times in the US - where bars actually take your card when you start a tab - I've had to return the next day to settle the bill.

• realaledrinker
    • By realaledrinker 19th Aug 04, 3:08 AM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    realaledrinker
    • 19th Aug 04, 3:08 AM
    • 19th Aug 04, 3:08 AM
    If you look at your credit card slips, many retailers for some inexplicable reason show the full 16-digit card no. and expiry date!!

Insane!
  • webmasterpolo
    • 19th Aug 04, 10:44 AM
    • 19th Aug 04, 10:44 AM
    I bought a shredder a couple of years ago, and l shred all my receipts regardless of the data on them apart from ones l may need for guarantees of course.

I also shred anything that has my name or address on, l'm very careful with this. !

The shredder l have is this one:

http://www.office-world.co.uk/livp/webliv.pgm/wwgoto=web503/wwsku=207010/wwtab=SHOP/wwsubmenu=1/wwcatg=030070002000/wwsearch=shredder

It is quiet expensive compared to others but it is a cross cut which means it cuts the paper not only vertically but also horizonatally so it is more secure. !Plus it has a 5 year guarantee. !I'm very happy with it. !If you shred less things you may be tempted to do for a cheaper option - l can warn you off the Fellowes P400C-2 - this is a cheap cross cut shredder but there is a high percentage of faulty ones and it only comes with 12mths guarantee. !

My advice would be to buy from a shop where returns are easy, shredders can develop faults esp the cheap ones and so returning them easily should be considered.
  • archived user
    • 19th Aug 04, 11:47 AM
    • 19th Aug 04, 11:47 AM
    An employee of Office World no doubt.

This is a site aimed at money saving - unless you have more money than common sense, I'd be surprised to find many people who would fork out nearly 80 for a shredder.

I have two hands. When I destroy receipts, statements etc, I use them. I make sure I tear right through the relevant information.

If necessary I get a pair of scissors, and cut it up so it can't be read.

No way would I waste 80.
  • bpyoung
    • 19th Aug 04, 12:17 PM
    • 19th Aug 04, 12:17 PM
    It's also a bit cumbersome to take clubbing with you.
    • Woby_Tide
    • By Woby_Tide 19th Aug 04, 12:33 PM
    • 5,202 Posts
    • 1,965 Thanks
    Woby_Tide
    • 19th Aug 04, 12:33 PM
    • 19th Aug 04, 12:33 PM
    "Oi, are you looking at my shredder?"
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 19th Aug 04, 3:46 PM
    • 8,111 Posts
    • 42,248 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 19th Aug 04, 3:46 PM
    • 19th Aug 04, 3:46 PM
    Hmmm. The above got me thinking - next weeks tip - i may do a great shredder hunt. (supermarkets are very cheap)

PS. Woby_Tide i laughed out loud at the above! Stonking!
    • Sooler
    • By Sooler 19th Aug 04, 4:47 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 2,107 Thanks
    Sooler
    • 19th Aug 04, 4:47 PM
    • 19th Aug 04, 4:47 PM
    If you shred less things you may be tempted to do for a cheaper option - l can warn you off the Fellowes P400C-2 - this is a cheap cross cut shredder but there is a high percentage of faulty ones and it only comes with 12mths guarantee. !

My advice would be to buy from a shop where returns are easy, shredders can develop faults esp the cheap ones and so returning them easily should be considered.

This may be down to people not keeping the cutters oiled as per the instructions and the temptation to stuff too many peices of paper through at once.

If you buy a Fellowes at Argos and it fails, after the Argos return period but within the gaurantee period, even if it's your fault for not oiling the cutters, phone Fellowes and they tell you to return it to Argos for a full replacement. So no problems there.

I don't know what happens if you buy a Fellowes elsewhere.

• Galstonian
    I believe Argos sell a cross cut shredder for under 30.
  • martinc
    QUICK HINT FOR BAR GOERS, EATERS AND CLUBBERS: Nope, sorry, not cheap booze, just a security note. !Pay by credit card & annoyingly many pubs/clubs receipts print the full credit card number. !Its ridiculous frankly. !Leaving these receipts hanging around makes fraud easier. !Always check to see if the numbers there, if it is just rip the right hand edge off the receipt, getting rid of the last through numbers, stuff that bit in your pocket (so theres only a little rubbish) and leave the rest on the bar.

To dicscuss this or other security hints, click reply
    Don't let your card go out of sight. I have heard of people being offered to take cards and photograph them with a phone camera or similar.

Hey presto, instant signature, 3-digit security code etc. Photos passed on to people that clone cards...
  • Gotabiscuit
    Watch out for 'pay at the pump' petrol stations. The receipts issued by them often don't blank out any digits, either.
    • Sooler
    • By Sooler 19th Aug 04, 10:08 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 2,107 Thanks
    Sooler
    Any retailer printing the full card number should be named and shamed >
  • manthatcan
    As far as I'm aware, the terminals' default setting is to have the full card number. All it would take is for the retailer to read their terminal's instruction manual, or contact their helpline to ensure that only the last 4 digits are visible on receipts.

If you are unhappy with a retailer who displays your full number, then you could always request that they change their terminal settings.

Beyond that, I would definitely recommend everyone takes their receipts home with them. Shredders are available in Argos for about 20
    • mrtickle
    • By mrtickle 20th Aug 04, 12:29 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    mrtickle
    As far as I'm aware, the terminals' default setting is to have the full card number. All it would take is for the retailer to read their terminal's instruction manual, or contact their helpline to ensure that only the last 4 digits are visible on receipts.
    In that case whoever designed the terminal should be shot. The default should be to hide the full number, it's security programming 101 . Relying on the frontline staff to make those configuration changes is wishful thinking, with the results that we have mentioned in this thread.

• divvy

Morrisons have a hand shredder (for paper, not hands) at 2.99. Only had it a few days but seems OK. Max 2 sheets, but I only shred the relevant bits: credit card slips, top of c.c. bill, etc. And in winter it all goes on the fire anyway.
    They also have an electric model at 9.99. Too expensive for me, as retirement looms and must rein in spending ready for unwaged status.
    Great site, but what's it doing to my electricity bill? ;D
  • trafalgar
    "Great site, but what's it doing to my electricity bill?"

Good point, my electric bill has shot up ;D ;D

I can't keep away from here :
  • Juicy_Tube
    Hmmm. !The above got me thinking - next weeks tip - i may do a great shredder hunt. !(supermarkets are very cheap)
    Yes please, was going to go out & buy one this weekend, but think I'll wait now for reccommendations!
  • bench
    Lidl put full digits on the Debit card voucher, have contacted customer service and claim that they cannot hide the full digits.
    So demand receipts, as mine was thrown into their waste bin yesterday. :'( :'(
  • Juicy_Tube
    How many times do we hand over cards in restaurants as well...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,494Posts Today

9,372Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin