Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WaxiesDargle
    • By WaxiesDargle 10th Oct 10, 3:54 PM
    • 1,056Posts
    • 200Thanks
    WaxiesDargle
    left shopping in car
    • 10th Oct 10, 3:54 PM
    left shopping in car 10th Oct 10 at 3:54 PM
    Hi

did something stupid yesterday and left a bag of shopping on the rear seat of my car and didn't bring it in the house!!

it was in my car from about 1pm yesterday to 3.30 today so over 24 hours

I had stir fry chicken pieces and minced beef in there...is it destined to be thrown away?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 12-10-2010 at 5:40 PM.
Page 1
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 10th Oct 10, 4:04 PM
    • 36,237 Posts
    • 46,693 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 10th Oct 10, 4:04 PM
    • 10th Oct 10, 4:04 PM
    I wouldnt be eating it Im afraid.

Do you know any dog or cat owners who would have it. (so its at least not wasted)
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • WaxiesDargle
    • By WaxiesDargle 10th Oct 10, 4:07 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    WaxiesDargle
    • 10th Oct 10, 4:07 PM
    • 10th Oct 10, 4:07 PM
    yes...could do that cheers
    • nickyhutch
    • By nickyhutch 10th Oct 10, 4:10 PM
    • 6,798 Posts
    • 16,220 Thanks
    nickyhutch
    • 10th Oct 10, 4:10 PM
    • 10th Oct 10, 4:10 PM
    If it's not ok for us, is it ok for dogs and cats? I don't give my cats anything I wouldn't eat myself. I'm talking human food, obviously!
  • zyxd58
    • 10th Oct 10, 4:17 PM
    • 10th Oct 10, 4:17 PM
    Just shove it in the freezer and microwave cook it(kills all bacteria), you can add it to a stir fry straight after, done this lots of times
    1: Lloyds Loan: 1900/0 --- 2: Lloyds CrCa: 700/800 --- 3: Lloyds OveD: 500/0 --- 4: BoS OveD: 500/0 --- 5: Clydesdale OveD: 500/0 All overdraught facilities cancelled
  • skintbint
    • 10th Oct 10, 4:44 PM
    • 10th Oct 10, 4:44 PM
    would be wary of the chicken, but just make sure you boil the mince
    skintbint x
    here's tae us, wha's like us - fell few and and they're a deid"
    10k in 2010/6988.30-69.88%@29/12/10, 11k in 2011/897 07.04.11- fell by the wayside!!!
    12k in 2012 - 204.00 @ 4/1/12

do not confuse me with the other skintbint who joined dec2011 - i am the original bint
    • themull1
    • By themull1 10th Oct 10, 4:49 PM
    • 4,195 Posts
    • 4,113 Thanks
    themull1
    • 10th Oct 10, 4:49 PM
    • 10th Oct 10, 4:49 PM
    Just cook the chicken and freeze in a jar of curry sauce, and do the mince as a bolognaise and freeze that.
    • sweetcheeks33
    • By sweetcheeks33 10th Oct 10, 4:54 PM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 3,378 Thanks
    sweetcheeks33
    • 10th Oct 10, 4:54 PM
    • 10th Oct 10, 4:54 PM
    out of fridge or freezer, unless you want head down toilet then throw away and certainly wouldnt be feeding off food to an animal either, neightbours wont be happy at the upset tummy results!!
    Each to there own tho!!
    • Chocmonster7
    • By Chocmonster7 10th Oct 10, 5:17 PM
    • 2,307 Posts
    • 2,037 Thanks
    Chocmonster7
    • 10th Oct 10, 5:17 PM
    • 10th Oct 10, 5:17 PM
    There are factors to take into account:-

What were the conditons in the car like?
    Are you in one of the areas who are having a warm weekend or in the cold miserable north east of England like me?
    Were the meats in sealed packs from a supermarket or just pastic bags from a local butcher?

In the days before fridges people kept their meat in larders (just cooler rooms in their houses) so I wouldn't panic, use your nose.
    Does the meat smell horrible? If yes then throw it away, if not then cook it in something that goes to a high temperature.
    • alwaysonthego
    • By alwaysonthego 10th Oct 10, 7:07 PM
    • 7,915 Posts
    • 10,749 Thanks
    alwaysonthego
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • WhiteHorse
    Chicken, no that's too long. The beef might be okay (good beef is hung for much longer), depending on how old it was when they minced it (meat is sometimes recycled in supermarkets), and how warm it got.
    "Never underestimate the mindless force of a government bureaucracy
    seeking to expand its power, dominion and budget"

Jay Stanley, American Civil Liberties Union.
    • Fruball
    • By Fruball 10th Oct 10, 7:12 PM
    • 5,091 Posts
    • 36,647 Thanks
    Fruball
    Not so long ago nobody had fridges

Unless you think your car got very hot (hahaha) then I would chance it but just make sure its well cooked.

I would def use the mince, but would give the chicken a good sniff
  • Rossy2692
    Smell it, thats what I always go by, bad meat gives off a very distinctive odour.
    Started my weightloss journey, its neverending!!

Weightloss challenge 2/14

"Life is like a box of chocolates....you never know what you are gonna get"
  • jcr16
    no way with the chicken. as i cook for hubby and our children i'd never risk anything if i could make my children or hubby ill. as for the beef. i'd prob do a sniff test, but might just cook it for the cats'. It been very warm down here on the isle of wight. so on back seat of car ( even tho we have blackout windows) it gets very warm in car with sun bearing down on it.

I also hate to waste anything. but a risk of being poorly and ill, then i'm afraid it would have to go.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
  • abi_csi
    To be honest as long as it doesn't smell and wasn't too hot, I'd probably eat it, but I have a very strong stomach and wouldn't recommend it. I just hate waste so would have to find some use for it.
    • wyebird
    • By wyebird 11th Oct 10, 12:07 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 945 Thanks
    wyebird
    If it's not ok for us, is it ok for dogs and cats? I don't give my cats anything I wouldn't eat myself. I'm talking human food, obviously!
    Originally posted by nickyhutch
    Dogs can quite happily scoff their own (not necessarily ) sick and things found at the side of the road, without it upsetting them,
    (And people still let them lick their faces )
    Cats are more picky, and soon err, get rid of anything dodgy.
  • bramble1
    I'd have smelt it and fed it to the dog if it didn't seem okay. He always gets the food that is left in the fridge a bit too long and he's never been ill from it.

Dogs don't get things like salmonella.
    Annual Grocery Budget 364.00/1500
    Debt payments 2012 433.27
    • rosalie-lavender
    • By rosalie-lavender 11th Oct 10, 7:46 PM
    • 1,430 Posts
    • 4,169 Thanks
    rosalie-lavender
    Unless the car was very cool I would bin it.

I wouldn't feed it to an animal either. Our last dog had an emergency admission to the local vets and a two day stay with a 200+ bill. At one point the vet thought she might have to be put down and slept at the surgery to keep an eye on her. After ruling out other things that cause her symptoms the vet said it was a form of gastro enteritis caused by eating something dodgy.
  • valk_scot
    I would bin it. It's not just the bacterial growth you need to worry about...yes, proper cooking will kill these but while they grow they release toxins into the foodstuff and no amount of cooking will remove these. For the sake of the price of a couple of packets of meat, it's just not worth it. And don't feed to to the pets either...that's not fair on them to think that it's more okay for them to risk food poisoning than for you. Pet foods in general are produced to the same or higher hygiene standards as human food, just out of less attractive ingredients.
    Val.
  • valk_scot
    Dogs don't get things like salmonella.
    Originally posted by bramble1
    That's not actually true. Healthy fit dogs are resistant to it, yes, but if a dog is very young or elderly or has one of a range of fairly common health problems then their immune system can be affected and they can suffer from salmonella poisoning.
    Val.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,614Posts Today

7,125Users online

Martin's Twitter