Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misty
    • By misty 18th Aug 04, 4:20 PM
    • 1,031Posts
    • 700Thanks
    misty
    Free scheme to help with insulation and heating
    • 18th Aug 04, 4:20 PM
    Free scheme to help with insulation and heating 18th Aug 04 at 4:20 PM
    As we head towards winter I thought this may be of interest to some people. I did a search but couldn't find any previous post about it. Basically it is a scheme to help people who rent(privately) or own their own home to improve the heating in their house. It is available to those on benefit (s)and some in receipt of tax credits there is an income cut off up to 14.500. Council tenents aren't eligible though for some reason.

More info and to see if your eligble

http://www.powergen-warmfront.co.uk/asp/eligibility.asp

Phone the Warm Front grant line free on 0800 952 1555. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm or

Write to the Warm Front Team free at:
    POWERGEN WARM FRONT LTD
    FREEPOST ANG20756
    MILTON KEYNES
    MK9 1BR

The Warm Front Team is a Government funded scheme managed by Powergen Warm Front to help people in receipt of income or disability related benefits to improve the insulation and heating in their home.

If you own your home or privately rent, you could have a range of insulation and heating improvements installed in your home. If you are under 60, this could be up to the value of 1,500 or 2,500 if you are 60 or over.
Page 1
    • Dustykitten
    • By Dustykitten 5th Apr 07, 8:22 PM
    • 16,409 Posts
    • 281,332 Thanks
    Dustykitten
    • 5th Apr 07, 8:22 PM
    • 5th Apr 07, 8:22 PM
    The above link comes up as 'cannot be found'

The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • mum_of_one!
    • 9th Apr 07, 4:49 PM
    • 9th Apr 07, 4:49 PM
    Can't use link either.

Is everyone entitiled to this grant, regardless of your electricity supplier?
    My 3 year old has cerebral palsy so I have my heating on more than most as she is non mobile she is unable to contain her body heat & is suceptable to illness.
    Would be grateful if anyone could advise.
    Many thanks x
    • TOBRUK
    • By TOBRUK 9th Apr 07, 5:03 PM
    • 2,293 Posts
    • 2,757 Thanks
    TOBRUK
    • 9th Apr 07, 5:03 PM
    • 9th Apr 07, 5:03 PM
    Can't use link either.

Is everyone entitiled to this grant, regardless of your electricity supplier?
    My 3 year old has cerebral palsy so I have my heating on more than most as she is non mobile she is unable to contain her body heat & is suceptable to illness.
    Would be grateful if anyone could advise.
    Many thanks x
    Originally posted by mum_of_one!
    I wonder if you have noticed that this was posted in 2004! However there is a warm front scheme, one is through 'eaga' the website here where you can check your eligibility etc and grants of up to around 2700.

http://www.eaga.com/grants/warmfront/qualify.htm

Hope this helps
  • Flash
    • 9th Apr 07, 6:03 PM
    • 9th Apr 07, 6:03 PM
    Here are some more useful links:
    http://heatproject.uknetweb.com/index.php
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Bfsl1/BenefitsAndFinancialSupport/DG_10018661
    http://www.eaga.com/
    • paul.nikki
    • By paul.nikki 9th Apr 07, 7:04 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    paul.nikki
    • 9th Apr 07, 7:04 PM
    • 9th Apr 07, 7:04 PM
    As we head towards winter I thought this may be of interest to some people. I did a search but couldn't find any previous post about it. Basically it is a scheme to help people who rent(privately) or own their own home to improve the heating in their house. It is available to those on benefit (s)and some in receipt of tax credits there is an income cut off up to 14.500. Council tenents aren't eligible though for some reason.

More info and to see if your eligble

http://www.powergen-warmfront.co.uk/asp/eligibility.asp

Phone the Warm Front grant line free on 0800 952 1555. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm or

Write to the Warm Front Team free at:
    POWERGEN WARM FRONT LTD
    FREEPOST ANG20756
    MILTON KEYNES
    MK9 1BR

The Warm Front Team is a Government funded scheme managed by Powergen Warm Front to help people in receipt of income or disability related benefits to improve the insulation and heating in their home.

If you own your home or privately rent, you could have a range of insulation and heating improvements installed in your home. If you are under 60, this could be up to the value of 1,500 or 2,500 if you are 60 or over.
    Originally posted by misty
    Warm front

Be careful

I had them around they told me I was entitled to a grant of 2700 for central heating. Great you might say It would be if the whole system did not cost over 6700 for a 3 bedroom house. but it was ok as they could help me get a loan for the reminding 4000. Ok the interest rate was through the roof and it would take me 10 years to repay it at 92 a month and would have to pay back over 11000 over the ten years (less if I paid more than the minimum payment) but I would have heating and in the reps word I desperately needed it his patter was very good and I feel for it Ok I'd signed up ( I have a son with disabilities and has wet beds every night. In the winter it is hard to get up 2 and three times on both him and me and I thought this would be the answer to help him) the next day I regretted my choice and contacted the company They told me due to my bad credit rating I could not get the loan (the only time having a bad credit rating has gone in my favour) So I was very relived they then went on to try and get me to take out a secured loan I said no and put the phone down with a smile. I had had a lucky escape.

I know we are still going to have this problem every winter but at lease I will not have to pay 11000.00 for it and you never know something good might happen one day.

Take care before signing up with them you could be signing 10 years of your life away

Nikki
    xxxx
    • TOBRUK
    • By TOBRUK 9th Apr 07, 9:11 PM
    • 2,293 Posts
    • 2,757 Thanks
    TOBRUK
    • 9th Apr 07, 9:11 PM
    • 9th Apr 07, 9:11 PM
    As I previously noted the original post was from 2004, I can't go from other people's information/experiences, but over two years ago someone came to the door telling me that there was a government scheme to help people with heating etc. As I was disabled and was also on benefit I was told that I was eligible for this scheme and they made an appointment for someone to come round to look over the house to see what was needed. I had never heard of such a scheme!

A week later someone came round and I was told that I would get the loft re-insulated and the walls insulated, as the boiler, although old was working I didn't need this doing - I would be given a date in the near future.

Three days after this visit my boiler broke down I phoned them up to say that my boiler had broken and was told someone would come and see me. The following day the chap that had made reccommendations to have insulation done came and took one look at the boiler and said that it needed changing and now I would have that done also.

Within a week or so I had a new combi boiler, new attic insullation and walls insulated and I did not pay a penny.
  • James123
    • 2nd Apr 08, 10:37 PM
    • 2nd Apr 08, 10:37 PM
    I've had a generally good experience of Warmfront who replaced my boiler last month at a cost of 2450. As such, it was completely covered by the grant. However, I have heard of folk having similar work done where the quote has been much higher. My only advice is to pre-warn the assessor that there would be no way that you could afford above the 2700 grant - I'm sure they lump a few on top if they can. I left the assessor in no doubt that I was skint. Also, Warmfront automaticlly put you down for cavity wall heating which comes out of the same fund and is usually allocated before any heating work. This then eats into your boiler grant. HOWEVER, there are other sources of finance for this type of work - so keep the Warmfront for your heating works! The Iguana contract work is very thorough!
    • sunshine124
    • By sunshine124 20th Apr 08, 2:49 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    sunshine124
    • 20th Apr 08, 2:49 PM
    Money for grant?
    • 20th Apr 08, 2:49 PM
    Hi all,

just a quick question - my parents qualify for the home insulation grant, but does anyone know how they get the money for the grant? I mean do the government put the money in the bank account and then take it from there? or do they give you a quote whereby you pay for it and then claim it back?

many thanks for any replies
  • laura122
    Hi all,

just a quick question - my parents qualify for the home insulation grant, but does anyone know how they get the money for the grant? I mean do the government put the money in the bank account and then take it from there? or do they give you a quote whereby you pay for it and then claim it back?

Originally posted by sunshine124
    I also would be very interested in this....
    • TOBRUK
    • By TOBRUK 20th Apr 08, 2:57 PM
    • 2,293 Posts
    • 2,757 Thanks
    TOBRUK
    Hi all,

Hi sunshine,
    When I had it done by 'EAGA' I did not pay a penny - no money changed hands. I qualified for a grant for wall insulation, attic, and new boiler, it was all carried out and I was not given a bill to pay. I think the contractors were paid directly by the scheme.
    Have your parents had an assessor out yet to see what needs to be done? If they qualifiy for home insulation, what about central heating, draft and attic?
  • laura122
    Hi sunshine,
    When I had it done by 'EAGA' I did not pay a penny - no money changed hands. I qualified for a grant for wall insulation, attic, and new boiler, it was all carried out and I was not given a bill to pay. I think the contractors were paid directly by the scheme.
    Have your parents had an assessor out yet to see what needs to be done? If they qualifiy for home insulation, what about central heating, draft and attic?
    Originally posted by TOBRUK
    Have you got a link to the guys that did it / maybe a telephone number?

Is the inital assessment free?

How long did it take to do the work?
    • sunshine124
    • By sunshine124 20th Apr 08, 3:05 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    sunshine124
    Thanks guys for the replies, no my parents haven't had an inspector out yet, it's just i checked the website to see if they qualified.

I have another question, my parents have a small attic and have stored loads of stuff there, will they have to remove everything before the inspector comes? Also they have a spare room leading to the garden and that is also full of stuff, will they also have to clear the room to have the cavity wall insulation done? And how exactly do they do the cavity wall insulation, i mean will it be done on the inside of the walls or outeside? Sorry that was more than one question!
  • littleg
    We qualified due to having disabled child. The contractors carrying out the work fill in the paperwork, you show prrof of qualification- in our case DLA. They sort out the grant at their end. You don't pay any money.
    • sunshine124
    • By sunshine124 20th Apr 08, 3:07 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    sunshine124
    moving home?
    I also heard that after having the work done you can't sell your home for about 3 years, is this true? coz my parents were thinking of moving
    • TOBRUK
    • By TOBRUK 20th Apr 08, 3:49 PM
    • 2,293 Posts
    • 2,757 Thanks
    TOBRUK
    Have you got a link to the guys that did it / maybe a telephone number?

Is the inital assessment free?

How long did it take to do the work?
    laura21 - I had it done through 'eaga' through the welsh assembly, don't know what the english government uses.
    The assessment is free - everything was free.
    After the assessment, I had a letter soon after to say when the work would be carried out. The wall insulation was done first in my case - took a couple of hours. The attic was done - under 2 hours.
    Fitting a new boiler and checking central heating etc took an afternoon. the tank in the attic was taken out as I had a new combi boiler.

Hi sunshine,
    I have another question, my parents have a small attic and have stored loads of stuff there, will they have to remove everything before the inspector comes? Also they have a spare room leading to the garden and that is also full of stuff, will they also have to clear the room to have the cavity wall insulation done? And how exactly do they do the cavity wall insulation, i mean will it be done on the inside of the walls or outeside?
    I did not have to remove anything from my attic or any room for the inspector.
    When the cavity is done, they do it from the outside, although, I have a conservatory and they came in to do that wall, as it used to be the outside wall.
    They drill holes on the outside and pump stuff into the cavity.

I also heard that after having the work done you can't sell your home for about 3 years, is this true? coz my parents were thinking of moving
    That's the first I've heard of it - I'm sure someone would have said something to me before work was carried out, unless it differs in different parts of the country??
    • TOBRUK
    • By TOBRUK 20th Apr 08, 3:54 PM
    • 2,293 Posts
    • 2,757 Thanks
    TOBRUK
    laura122, I have found the documents and I can tell you that mine was done through 'the Home Energy Efficiency Scheme (HEES) it is the FREE HEATING AND INSULATION FOR WALES, funded by the Welsh Assembly Government in partnership with EAGA. If you live in England, I'm sure they have a similar scheme surely?
  • ohmygosh
    I had my insulation and cavity wall done for free!! Didnt pay a penny and still have money left from my grant to put towards a new boiler and heating system. Am unsure of the top of my head what the company is called but will post it when i find it.
    They were excellent too very quick and very efficient! Great help and a massive improvemnet to my house temperature.
    I got it free because i claim child tax benefit!
    I live in Lancashire just incase anyone thinks its for wales or somewhere after reading previous posts
    • woodbine
    • By woodbine 16th Aug 08, 9:12 PM
    • 18,323 Posts
    • 24,707 Thanks
    woodbine
    Thanks guys for the replies, no my parents haven't had an inspector out yet, it's just i checked the website to see if they qualified.

I have another question, my parents have a small attic and have stored loads of stuff there, will they have to remove everything before the inspector comes? Also they have a spare room leading to the garden and that is also full of stuff, will they also have to clear the room to have the cavity wall insulation done? And how exactly do they do the cavity wall insulation, i mean will it be done on the inside of the walls or outeside? Sorry that was more than one question!
    its done from the outside
  • Chazpots
    I applied to warm Front earlier this week and I'm waiting for an assessment. Was really quick and simple to apply on line and I had a letter of confirmation within a couple of days.

I think it's worth mentioning that my sister received a Warm Front grant for central heating last year. The total cost exceeded £6000 however, she approached her landlord and he came up with the £3300 on top of the grant. At the end of the day he got a £6k heating system at nearly half the price! Guess it's always worth asking eh?

My neighbours also had their loft insulated a couple of months back. They didn't need to clear anything out - in fact it only took about half an hour!

Chaz
    Last edited by Chazpots; 16-08-2008 at 9:36 PM. Reason: bad spelling!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

342Posts Today

2,779Users online

Martin's Twitter