Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    megasaver
    Are we getting short changed.....
    • 5th Oct 06, 1:46 PM
    Are we getting short changed..... 5th Oct 06 at 1:46 PM
    I have heard about this phenomenen(SP) twice today, once on the TV and once on the radio. Apparently to keep their profit margins up and keep supermarkets happy manufacturers are putting "less" into their products.

For example people have noticed that packets don't contain as much at they did before but the packaging outside is still the same. The one that really shocked me was (don't laugh) Toilet rolls. Apparently the tubes inside have been made "bigger" so less paper is put on the rolls, but they can still offer us "6 for the price of 4" or even the standard 6 sand charge what we think is a good price, but we are all getting much much less for our money!

Anybody out there read the article or got any ideas about this. Are there any other OS products which we should know about?

Mega xx

Last edited by MSE Martin; 24-10-2006 at 8:28 PM.
Page 1
  • flufff
    • 5th Oct 06, 2:08 PM
    • 5th Oct 06, 2:08 PM
    noticed tesco did this with their value washing powder now 1kg instead of 1.2
  • megasaver
    • 5th Oct 06, 2:38 PM
    Baby wipes
    • 5th Oct 06, 2:38 PM
    Baby wipes was something else that hadn't really registered. They used to contain 80 wipes in a pack, now they have 72. Have been told they will go down to 64 soon..... I so hope that isn't true .....I cut mine in half as it is to make them go further!
    Last edited by megasaver; 05-10-2006 at 7:22 PM.
  • beetrootjuicer
    • 5th Oct 06, 2:44 PM
    • 5th Oct 06, 2:44 PM
    I've been wondering something similar about cat food. I've noticed that the space our local Tesco allocates to all brands of 400g tins of cat food is diminishing whilst that given over to foil pouches is increasing all the time. Are they trying to phase out tins, I wonder? To my mind foil pouches are an expensive alternative especially as one of our boys (feline, that is) is awaiting an op for an over-active thyroid and is eating 2 x 400g tins a day all on his own At this rate the £300 op will be an economy measure!!!
    Last edited by beetrootjuicer; 05-10-2006 at 4:48 PM.
  • seraphina
    • 5th Oct 06, 2:47 PM
    • 5th Oct 06, 2:47 PM
    I always use the price per 100g/1kg/100 sheets or whatever to compare prices - that way it doesn't matter how much is in the box, you can still keep track of the "real" price.
    • Jet
    • By Jet 5th Oct 06, 2:54 PM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 974 Thanks
    Jet
    • 5th Oct 06, 2:54 PM
    • 5th Oct 06, 2:54 PM
    To my mind foil pouches are an expensive alternative especially as one of our boys (feline, that is) is awaiting an op for an over-active thryroid and is eating 2 x 400g tins a day all on his own At this rate the 300 op will be an economy measure!!!
    by beetrootjuicer
    Wow, that's one hungry moggy!
  • livalot
    • 5th Oct 06, 3:35 PM
    • 5th Oct 06, 3:35 PM
    I sometiimes open a bag of multipack crisps (I can assure you it does not happen very often!) and ask where the crisps are, as there only seem to be fewere and fewer lurking in the bottom of a very very big bag - I can't be bothered buying the multipacks anymore as I end up eating at least two bags just for the odd crisp "fix".

I always use the price per 100g/1kg/100 sheets or whatever to compare prices - that way it doesn't matter how much is in the box, you can still keep track of the "real" price.
    by seraphina
    I do this too.... but the point is your money is not stretching as much as it did. The 100g/1kg/100sheets is costing you more now than it did a year ago.....but we are not aware of this so much. Especially when manufacturers use these subtle "packaging" tricks.
    Last edited by livalot; 05-10-2006 at 3:53 PM.
  • floridadreamin
    • 5th Oct 06, 3:56 PM
    • 5th Oct 06, 3:56 PM
    Blimey no wonder my shopping doesn't last as long any more. Just thought it was greedy kids!!
  • emilyt
    • 5th Oct 06, 4:33 PM
    • 5th Oct 06, 4:33 PM
    Think we should go back to the old days where we could take our own container and buy how much we want by the weight of the item. Not only would we know exactly how much we were getting but it would bring the cost down as we wouldn't have to pay for pacckaging.Thats the problem with packaging as it always look like we are getting a lot more than we are.
    When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile
    • twink
    • By twink 5th Oct 06, 4:58 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    i have noticed the same with cat food in asda, less space for tins

this was in the mail today

pringles was 200g now 170g
    ovaltine 400g 300g
    heinz beans 450g 420g
    yorkie bar 7 chunks 6 chunks
    rolo 11 10
    bowyers sausages 475g 400g
    foxs glacier mints 226g 200g
    palmolive naturals soap 125g 100g
    • Quasar
    • By Quasar 5th Oct 06, 5:44 PM
    • 114,212 Posts
    • 235,129 Thanks
    Quasar
    I'm afraid that is a widespread practice. Unless you read the weight which must be stated if the item is sold by weight, you are none the wiser and think you are buying the old quantity.

In the case of toilet rolls, as they are sold by number then it's easier to make them look the same size.

Makes me mad when I think of all the profit they make by these underhand but not quite illegal tricks.
    Bread is like the sun: it rises in the yeast and sets in the waist.
    • savvy
    • By savvy 5th Oct 06, 5:50 PM
    • 29,880 Posts
    • 45,564 Thanks
    savvy
    I've noticed the diminishing products for a number of years now, the crips packets are the obvious ones!! :rolleyes:

Think we should go back to the old days where we could take our own container and buy how much we want by the weight of the item. Not only would we know exactly how much we were getting but it would bring the cost down as we wouldn't have to pay for pacckaging.Thats the problem with packaging as it always look like we are getting a lot more than we are.
    by emilyt
    I've had this thought for a while too as it would REALLY help the environment as well!!
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm

I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones

• savvy
    • By savvy 5th Oct 06, 5:54 PM
    • 29,880 Posts
    • 45,564 Thanks
    savvy
    heinz beans 450g 420g
    by twink
    Uh oh 415g on the ones I bought yesterday! Bit of a bind in respect of some recipes now that might ask for a 450g can of something!! :rolleyes:
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm

I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones

• Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 5th Oct 06, 5:58 PM
    • 10,160 Posts
    • 16,592 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    What bugs me is that it is so hard to compare different brands, or even different sizes within brands, because some packs are marked in grams and some in centilitres, so it is impossible to calculate the value per item.

Had a funny find in Tesco the other day though - a small tin of petit pois was 32p, and a large one, twice the size, was 31p :confused: .
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• bulchy
    This is interesting, I hadnt noticed these tricks before, thank you for starting this thread. I usually just check the unit price of everything, thinking I'm safe doing this, I never thought to check the actual weight on packaging. I'll be taking a bit more time next time I go shopping to check weights and amounts.
    Good point about the cat food, our local Asda has a very poor selection of tinned cat food, with more choice in pouches and trays, especially singles With 2 cats to feed, I'm pleased they eat mostly dry, it would cost me a fortune to keep them fed with pouches.
    Sue
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 5th Oct 06, 6:18 PM
    • 6,669 Posts
    • 4,774 Thanks
    Jo4
    i have noticed the same with cat food in asda, less space for tins

this was in the mail today

pringles was 200g now 170g
    ovaltine 400g 300g
    heinz beans 450g 420g
    yorkie bar 7 chunks 6 chunks
    rolo 11 10
    bowyers sausages 475g 400g
    foxs glacier mints 226g 200g
    palmolive naturals soap 125g 100g
    by twink
    When I worked in a grocery shop washing powder makers were constantly changing the weight of the boxes. When I was talking to the office manager she said it was going on for over 10 years and it wasn't just washing powder makers!!
    Last edited by Jo4; 05-10-2006 at 6:27 PM.
    • Quasar
    • By Quasar 5th Oct 06, 6:23 PM
    • 114,212 Posts
    • 235,129 Thanks
    Quasar
    Also please bear in mind that another trick is to vary the proportion of ingredients.

For instance take a can of tuna in brine. It can say 200g and you will find 200g grams of contents in it. But they can put less tuna and more brine and still be within the law.

You get the idea...
    Bread is like the sun: it rises in the yeast and sets in the waist.
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 5th Oct 06, 6:29 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    I've noticed another one of Mr Tesco's tricks recently too.

I used to buy their half-fat butchers choice sasuages - 8 sausages per pack. However, recently they have changed the size of the sausage and the packet - it's now in a plastic tray instead of paper wrapped. The price has gone up and although you get the same weight of sausage (can't remember how much) you only get 6 sausages. Now, most people serve up so many sausages per person, so you have to buy more packs to get the same number of sausages, but everyone gets a little bit more.

BTW - I used to compare not only the number of sheets on the loo rolls, but the size too, cos I wanted to know what square-meterage I was getting. Daft in a way cos you still end up using, say 3 sheets, even if they are slightly bigger
  • kethry
    What i have noticed is things getting more and more expensive; we went onto benefits 2 years ago this christmas, we get just under 500 quid a month income between us, and that has to pay for food/leccy/gas/water/phones/TV licence/House insurance/internet/dog/anyextras. the only thing we don't pay is rent/council tax, and i don't pay for bus fares (as i'm disabled). when we first went on the benefits 2 years ago it seemed fairly easy to cope; these days i'm using every trick i know in the book (even before someone told me about this board) and then some, and am STILL struggling. Part of that is undoubtedly having to buy more to make things stretch further.

tuna i've found is one big rip off. Aldi's own is 35p a tin, and you get a fairly full tin once the water is drained out. I've tried other brands, even the really expensive ones, often, by the time you've drained the water you've less than half a tin left! that makes me really angry, so i won't buy tuna from anywhere but aldi now, cos at least i know what i'll get when i open the tin.

does anyone else find this?

keth
    xx
    • kiwichick
    • By kiwichick 5th Oct 06, 8:22 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    kiwichick
    by emilyt
    We have places like this in NZ called Bin Inn. Everything from flour/cereal/laundry powder/cat or dog food/coffee/dried fruit/milk powder/all baking requirements even liquid bits like golden syrup are in drums with taps as is shampoo/conditioner/washing up liquid. We ALWAYS shopped there when I was a kid.
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,054Posts Today

7,014Users online

Martin's Twitter