Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • earwig
    • By earwig 4th Oct 06, 12:08 PM
    • 1,052Posts
    • 693Thanks
    earwig
    Is your heating ON or OFF?
    • 4th Oct 06, 12:08 PM
    Is your heating ON or OFF? 4th Oct 06 at 12:08 PM
    hi
    just wonder how many of you have put the heating on yet i was going to wait untill november but my 7 year old dd woke me up at 430 this morring saying she was cold i swear i saw steam coming from her mouth so i got up and put it on the house was cold though and my ds has woken up a few time durring the night to (his only two) i now wonder if it was because he was cold too

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 11-11-2014 at 5:43 PM.
Page 614
    • littlemoney
    • By littlemoney 11th Sep 18, 7:16 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    littlemoney
    Ok then, a couple of nights of cold followed by warmth again so I donít have to chop any more wood! 😄
    Originally posted by vacheron
    A much better idea
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 11th Sep 18, 9:54 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 3,167 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    Highlands of Scotland here - heating still off. It's been a bit chilly but nothing a jumper hasn't sorted out yet
    Originally posted by ninnoodle
    I have a couple of friends in Fort William and they're telling me that it's getting colder up there - you have my deepest sympathy as the autumn gets colder .
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Sep 18, 9:55 PM
    • 26,672 Posts
    • 56,807 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Today's high was supposed to be 21įC in Basildon (not a million miles away) but it was quite fresh during the day, so I was happy to be stuck inside. It improved in the evening when the sun came out, perfect walking weather in fact.
    Quick question - will net curtains make much difference to the room temp? I feel like it could potentially block heat in the day (reflecting back out?), but would they help retain heat in the evening, or just too thin?
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    Nets are better than a poke in they eye with a sharp stick, just. Personally I hate the look of nets, voiles are a more elegant option.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 12th Sep 18, 7:42 AM
    • 1,131 Posts
    • 7,569 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    I hope mine will stay off well into October. I aim for November, but never get there!
    I was a bit chilly yesterday morning but a hot drink fixed it. This morning I dug out the vests. Honestly, a vest worn tight-ish to your body makes all the difference. I just have the cheapy vest tops from Primark in a mix of black and white.
    Because it's fun to have money!

£23.62/£70 November Grocery Challenge
    £47.19/£70 October GC
    £44.32/£70 September GC
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 12th Sep 18, 7:57 AM
    • 354 Posts
    • 3,167 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    ............. This morning I dug out the vests. Honestly, a vest worn tight-ish to your body makes all the difference. I just have the cheapy vest tops from Primark in a mix of black and white.
    Originally posted by flubberyzing
    Very true, flubberyzing! I've got four Thermal Vests bought in A$DA a few years ago - two of them have long sleeves and two are sleeveless - wouldn't be without them in the middle of winter. They get worn underneath other tops and sometimes to sleep in under pj or nighties .
    • mummygems
    • By mummygems 12th Sep 18, 10:24 AM
    • 335 Posts
    • 3,935 Thanks
    mummygems
    Today's high was supposed to be 21įC in Basildon (not a million miles away) but it was quite fresh during the day, so I was happy to be stuck inside. It improved in the evening when the sun came out, perfect walking weather in fact. Nets are better than a poke in they eye with a sharp stick, just. Personally I hate the look of nets, voiles are a more elegant option.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I'm in Basildon and I think its quite warm still. Its raining today so had to do the school run in my rain mac and was a sweaty mess when I got home lol Too wet not to wear it but far too hot wearing it!

Our heating is firmly off still. I usually try to get to get to 1st November before needing it on. Windows are still open and t shirts are being worn so its definitely not cold here. Obviously if the kids get ill or the temperature really drops then I would put the heating on but for now its off and will stay that way I hope until 1st November.

Our fuel bill has gone up again (I assume from the fans running in the hot weather) so hoping it evens out between the gas and electric as currently we use 4-5 times as much electric as we do gas!
    2 adults and 3 children DD (12), DD (10) & DS (7) and 2 mental beagles
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 12th Sep 18, 12:13 PM
    • 2,943 Posts
    • 3,065 Thanks
    Stoke
    Still off
    • Mee
    • By Mee 12th Sep 18, 12:14 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 1,056 Thanks
    Mee
    Off.
    Aiming for November like flubberyzing.
    Put my winter duvet back on last Sunday, and back to wearing long sleeves in bed.
    Saved lots over the summer by not putting on the hot water everyday - thank you sun.

P.S East of England. I like to wash my duvet in the summer, and I have a cold north facing bedroom with three external walls, and feel the cold easily, hence the long sleeves
    Last edited by Mee; 13-09-2018 at 1:07 PM.
    Free thinker.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 12th Sep 18, 3:00 PM
    • 2,943 Posts
    • 3,065 Thanks
    Stoke
    Am i the only one who uses the same duvet all year round and doesn't change what he sleeps in? (basically my boxers lol)
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 12th Sep 18, 3:27 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 3,038 Thanks
    purpleybat
    Am i the only one who uses the same duvet all year round and doesn't change what he sleeps in? (basically my boxers lol)
    Originally posted by Stoke
    i have the same duvet all year round too, tho i don't wear boxers... prefer Chanel No5
    gc 2017 £1841.27.
    2018 jan £124.69/£130 feb £157.97/£150 mar £221.33/£200 apr £223.04/£250
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 12th Sep 18, 3:39 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    maisie cat
    I wonder where people are in the country compared to me, I'm in shorts and a vest top at present!
    The heating has not been on since March although it's set to 15-17 degrees when it is on. I have noticed it's chillier in the morning the last week or so, I got up at 2am today and didn't open the doors as I often do. I think we may have managed until early November last year
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 12th Sep 18, 10:41 PM
    • 2,943 Posts
    • 3,065 Thanks
    Stoke
    I wonder where people are in the country compared to me, I'm in shorts and a vest top at present!
    The heating has not been on since March although it's set to 15-17 degrees when it is on. I have noticed it's chillier in the morning the last week or so, I got up at 2am today and didn't open the doors as I often do. I think we may have managed until early November last year
    Originally posted by maisie cat
    I was wearing shorts until this week. Decided at some point I had to stop, something arbitrary about it. Noticed the temperature on my car dash read 12 degrees so figured the air was getting colder and now was about right. I've not felt uncomfortable wearing them (like on a hot day) so it's about right.... however I could quite easily wear shorts.
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 13th Sep 18, 1:15 AM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 9,204 Thanks
    Living proof
    Still off, but I doubt for much longer. Went for a meal in local Wetherspoons tonight and the aircon was so furious I had to sit and eat in a fleece. House 19C but outside just 9C at 10pm.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Sep 18, 1:39 AM
    • 26,672 Posts
    • 56,807 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I am with HWB

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Sep 18, 3:05 AM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 13,635 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    No heating on yet - but now wearing trousers & fleeces rather than skirts & t-shirts But still wearing my Crocs

Every year I aim for 1st November & have been successful for the last few years
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Sep 18, 8:13 AM
    • 16,404 Posts
    • 140,217 Thanks
    JackieO
    No heating as yet for me and today its a beautiful sunny day down south in Kent ,so the more of those the better hopefully.The it will be a wooly blanket over my legs and an extra cardi . I am lucky as I rarely feel the cold much until its gets really cold and can usually put it off until November at least .My house had insulation in the walls and roof which helps and is mid terrace as well.I do have CH and in my sitting room I also have a coal effect type fire but thats only been switched on about 4 times in the past two years.My house is quite small and easy to keep warm far better than my previous house which cost a fortune to heat at times My combined gas heating and electricity d/debits are only £45.00 per month which I think is pretty reasonable over a year.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only( 1st Oct £30.96,15 Oct £14.28 total for month £45.24,) Total end of October since Jan £307.43
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 13th Sep 18, 8:24 AM
    • 354 Posts
    • 3,167 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    Lovely sunny start to the day for us today - and looks set to continue for the remainder of the day .

I'll still need to wear my fleece for going out though, as it'll be around 6.00pm when I come back home - getting quite chilly as the sun starts to set .
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Sep 18, 8:11 PM
    • 26,672 Posts
    • 56,807 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Yes after a cool start it has been lovely today. Was lovely walking weather just now.

• calicocat
    • By calicocat 15th Sep 18, 7:29 PM
    • 4,937 Posts
    • 22,716 Thanks
    calicocat
    Just put mine on as house was cold when I got in. I would think it will only be on for an hour to take the edge off. Then I will probably have a fan on and the windows and doors open.... . Well the windows are always open a bit, and usually wide open in my bedroom.

It is getting a bit cooler up north at times though.

I always used to have the same duvet on all year, but had to throw my nice one out. The covering had split in places and everytime I changed covers it looked like I had gone in for a small bird massacre . So sadly I now have a spare one on, which is horribly thin and must be a very low tog but has been great this summer. It also makes the bed look really flat and I miss the thickness and fluff factor of a down one. I will have to hunt out another spare one soon that is thicker if I donít get to the shops to buy a new down one. The synthetic ones are much easier to make though so there is a bonus, I must kick about under the down ones as too hot and it ends up in a heap and cushions everywhere. .
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early........ Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 15th Sep 18, 7:47 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 3,167 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    We had a decent start to the day, so much that I did two loads of laundry and got it mostly dry outdoors, apart from 'my bigs' - don't have 'smalls' !

At the same time, I had the oven on to bake a cake for DGD1 to take back to Uni with her - that helped to warm the flat up a bit !

This afternoon clouded over quite a lot, and felt 'nippy', so had to put the gas fire on for a while . It's now turned right down to its 'minimum setting', door closed properly and fleece blanket around my shoulders ............. about to get into nightie/dressing gown when Midsomer Murders goes into an 'ad break'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,444Posts Today

4,565Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin