Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • earwig
    • By earwig 4th Oct 06, 12:08 PM
    • 1,050Posts
    • 693Thanks
    earwig
    Is your heating ON or OFF?
    • 4th Oct 06, 12:08 PM
    Is your heating ON or OFF? 4th Oct 06 at 12:08 PM
    hi
    just wonder how many of you have put the heating on yet i was going to wait untill november but my 7 year old dd woke me up at 430 this morring saying she was cold i swear i saw steam coming from her mouth so i got up and put it on the house was cold though and my ds has woken up a few time durring the night to (his only two) i now wonder if it was because he was cold too

If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 11-11-2014 at 5:43 PM.
Page 609
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Oct 17, 11:31 PM
    • 13,746 Posts
    • 18,031 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Is this a DIY job or must it be done by a CORGI-registered plumber? (Sorry to be a bit thick, but I assume flushing it through means the tank and radiators are cleared of sludge, and the boiler is unaffected apart from the obvious efficiency gain).
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Flushing a vented system through (including the boiler) and cleaning out the radiators can be a DIY job. The only fluids involved are water so no need for a Gas Safe plumber. Likewise, with my old boiler, after ensuring that the system is correctly refilled with water and inhibitor mix, relighting the boiler just involves turning on the gas cck and pressing the piezo igniter following the instructions printed on the inside of the boiler casing.

If in doubt, always call in a professional.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 07-10-2017 at 12:13 AM.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • Dm79
    • By Dm79 26th Oct 17, 4:14 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Dm79
    Ours is still off but temperature is due to drop over the weekend and our windows are covered in condensation in the mornings
    • Grannymolly
    • By Grannymolly 27th Oct 17, 7:29 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    Grannymolly
    Still off but noticeably colder.

Hoping to put it off until November at least.....

Luckily we!!!8217;re mid terrace so kept warm by either side !!!55357;!!!56834;
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 27th Oct 17, 8:12 AM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 20,131 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Ours is off and still no log fires (but the logs are stacked in the fireplace, ready for a cold spell) - like EssexHebridean we are in East Anglia and it is still warm and dry this Autumn. DH has shut the bedroom window as of the night before last.

As we are out all day I am hoping we can go a bit longer and we have a tiny electric radiator in the bathroom in case the mornings are chilly. One year we waited until my Mum came down for Christmas (from Scotland) before turning CH on and she then observed how warm our house was! We do live in a very warm area in a very cosy thatched cottage.

We also have all replacement DG windows that were fitted in Oct 16 and they have made a huge difference. Front and back doors are on my list to save for next.
    MFiT T4 #2 update 51.75% after Q8 5,203 behind where I should be
    Save 12k in 2018 #53 - after Feb 13.3%/10,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent 452.64/3,000 including stores so far
    My DFD is here
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 27th Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    • 5,744 Posts
    • 39,774 Thanks
    Caterina
    It's been so warm in London, we never needed to put the heating on for warmth. But it has been on for a couple of hours now and then to take the damp out of the air when it rains outside and we have laundry drying indoors.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 27th Oct 17, 10:23 AM
    • 3,913 Posts
    • 13,324 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    It's been a sweltering inferno on the Tube this week in London; it was a welcome relief to feel a bit chilly early this morning.

I survive with very minimal heating in winter; I mainly need it for drying clothes in reasonable time.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 27th Oct 17, 1:19 PM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 20,131 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I use one of those old-fashioned pulley system clothes airers (GNU clothes airer) and hang my clothes on hangers, on the rail, above the warmest point (my stove or airing cupboard) - so the tiny bit of heat that heats hot water also dries our clothes
    MFiT T4 #2 update 51.75% after Q8 5,203 behind where I should be
    Save 12k in 2018 #53 - after Feb 13.3%/10,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent 452.64/3,000 including stores so far
    My DFD is here
    • Dm79
    • By Dm79 27th Oct 17, 8:35 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Dm79
    Had it on for a couple of hours tonight whilst we had our baths
    • SmartHome
    • By SmartHome 28th Oct 17, 7:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SmartHome
    Heating came on last week, I'm not so concerned as I'm using a smart thermostat for past 2 years. Already seen massive savings v's using my old manual thermostat, gas energy bill dropped by 25%.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 29th Oct 17, 11:08 AM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 12,334 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Ours went on last night, along with a winter duvet on the bed. I woke up feeling lovely and warm this morning.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 22/60
    • kittie
    • By kittie 29th Oct 17, 12:02 PM
    • 11,801 Posts
    • 73,611 Thanks
    kittie
    never in a million years would I have a smart meter or thermostat in my home. Most of us are perfectly able to regulate our own heating systems according to what we need and can afford. I, thankfully, am in an area without mobile phone signal and the fewer the wireless technologies and spies in the home, the better

I had the pellet stove on for an hour yesterday, I had just returned from a short holiday and was full of cold. As soon as the hall temperature reached 21, then it turned itself off. I have not needed the stove to come on today, solar gain plus I am feeling much better. I simply use a timer plus old fashioned electronic hall thermostat. Btw my pellet fuel bill is <200 pa for heating and hot water top up and my electricity bill is 308 pa
    Last edited by kittie; 29-10-2017 at 12:04 PM.
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 29th Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    • 1,481 Posts
    • 11,339 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    I have finally cracked and ours is now on for a couple of hours in the evening (from 7pm) and for a 90 minutes in the morning. Hubby is not too happy but I do not appreciate being totally chilled to the bone with a thick jumper on.
    We once left it off for so long that I got mildew on a dress that was next to the wall in my wardrobe. I do not want that again.
    Originally posted by Gem-gem

Yep, I often have to put ours on to take the damp out of the air as opposed to being too cold.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 9433.44
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 29th Oct 17, 6:14 PM
    • 6,148 Posts
    • 29,493 Thanks
    pineapple
    I have an old stone cottage and no central heating. I have a couple of storage heaters plus a multifuel stove. I've had that on in the evening for ages now! In my defence I usually have a kettle on the go and often I cook on it too.
    • beautiful_ravens
    • By beautiful_ravens 29th Oct 17, 6:44 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    beautiful_ravens
    I havent put the heating on much yet, but the multifuel burner has been going for a few weeks [one warm room and all that] ..
    In my defence, I live in a completely detached old damp cottage in a valley which is a frost pocket. Awesome. So winter is longer here.

Also the fire is new, so the novelty of having it back after 2 winters without one is another reason its been on early, plus the extra novelty of being able to burn coal on this one.

Most years I find that once youve started with the fires/heating, thats it you can't stop!
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
    • LadyhavershamLost
    • By LadyhavershamLost 30th Oct 17, 6:06 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    LadyhavershamLost
    Gone on here in Berkshire this morning...

It's blooming cold!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 30th Oct 17, 7:24 AM
    • 11,801 Posts
    • 73,611 Thanks
    kittie
    we had a frost last night, SW and even now at 7.15 it is only 1 degree outside. I am leaving my hall thermostat as is, at 20, still at 20.8 from yesterday. No rad in the hall and none in any downstairs open living area, one large master rad in the utility and a small rad in the n facing study. My house is like self contained compartments.

No heating came on this morning but it is now time to leave the timer on for twice a day and if needed then the stove will light itself. With this comes the need to scrape the burner and clean the stove inside. Scraping the burner box is the most important, the air holes need to be kept free. It isn`t a difficult job and I try and do it every time I lift a new 10kg bag of pellets into the stove. I should think a bag will last at least a week as long as we get some sun in the day

So, I am looking to move, needs must, getting older and I need to be a bit closer to the bus and the shop and to activities, won`t be far but I am confessing to looking at epc as very important. I have seen old homes but far too much maintenance needed and then I also see the epc, last one was only 32, mine is over 80. I don`t even go and look at the property when so low. Not been to see a property yet, am biding my time
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 30th Oct 17, 7:40 AM
    • 375 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    maisie cat
    We have underfloor heating downstairs and it had come on this morning, it is 17 degrees in the family room at the moment. I am of the "put a jumper on if you're cold" brigade and get hot really quickly anyway. Yesterday I was wearing shorts, but last year I was wearing them until early December
    • BOBS
    • By BOBS 30th Oct 17, 7:55 AM
    • 2,785 Posts
    • 2,125 Thanks
    BOBS
    Only on an hour or two when really needed - timer not set yet. Mind you car had layer of frost this morning so might soon need heating on more.
    • Spamtastic
    • By Spamtastic 30th Oct 17, 9:23 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    Spamtastic
    We had the first frost of the season this morning but the hallway was still 18.5 degrees when I got up. As such I think we will make it to November at this rate. Last year it only became noticeable at 17 degrees so I'll see when that happens.
    • Dm79
    • By Dm79 30th Oct 17, 4:43 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Dm79
    Ours is on now on a a timer twice a day at 17 degrees, we had our first frost this morning and it only got to 10 degrees all day!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,559Posts Today

5,817Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin