Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jan59
    • By jan59 22nd Mar 06, 9:41 PM
    • 386Posts
    • 1,045Thanks
    jan59
    best gravy recipe
    • 22nd Mar 06, 9:41 PM
    best gravy recipe 22nd Mar 06 at 9:41 PM
    Anyone have a gravy from scratch recipe, without using meat juices? What do you do when you want to use up the roast meat from Sunday (if theres any left!) and cook a 'dinner' again on the MOnday?

I hate the gravy granules stuff that I've tried and I was in M&S today and their made up gravy was 1.99 a pouch! Ouch!!

Cheers
    Everything in moderation..............including moderation..............
Page 1
  • Jay-Jay
    • 22nd Mar 06, 9:45 PM
    • 22nd Mar 06, 9:45 PM
    If I have enough meat for Monday I make more gravy on the Sunday then add more water on Monday to make it go further and also because it's always thicker the day after.

Or, If we're having something like sausages and hubby wants gravy I'll fry an onion on low until it goes quite dark then stir in some beef stock (water and Oxo), maybe a dash of Lea & Perrins or maybe half a teaspoon of Marmite then simmer for 10 mins. Add cornflour to thicken.

I've recently discovered that Bisto gravy granuals are sort of ok tasting so I add a spoonful to any gravy for extra flavour.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• jan59
    • By jan59 22nd Mar 06, 9:50 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    jan59
    • 22nd Mar 06, 9:50 PM
    • 22nd Mar 06, 9:50 PM

Or, If we're having something like sausages and hubby wants gravy I'll fry an onion on low until it goes quite dark then stir in some beef stock (water and Oxo), maybe a dash of Lea & Perrins or maybe half a teaspoon of Marmite then simmer for 10 mins. Add cornflour to thicken.

I've recently discovered that Bisto gravy granuals are sort of ok tasting so I add a spoonful to any gravy for extra flavour.
    by Jay-Jay
    Thanks for your ideas Jay-Jay, I like the idea of L&P or Marmite (mmmmmm)!

Not sure about the granules though - my old mum had an aversion to Bisto that I never quite understood, but which has obviously affected me deeply!!!!
    • taurusgb
    • By taurusgb 22nd Mar 06, 10:12 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 7,366 Thanks
    taurusgb
    • 22nd Mar 06, 10:12 PM
    • 22nd Mar 06, 10:12 PM
    Most gravy granules contain the dreaded hydrogenated vegetable oil, and oxo contain monosudiam glutamate (spelling??? - it's been a long day!)....Anyway, I either use swiss boullion powder or kelloo vegetable stock cubes, which are organic and not too expensive if you live near an Asda, these dissolved in boiling water, thickened with flour and darkened with a smidgeon of gravy browning, make a very tasty gravy...of course if you have vegetable water left over that adds flavour and nutrition.
    People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
    • jan59
    • By jan59 22nd Mar 06, 10:14 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    jan59
    • 22nd Mar 06, 10:14 PM
    Most gravy granules contain the dreaded hydrogenated vegetable oil, and oxo contain monosudiam glutamate (spelling??? - it's been a long day!)....Anyway, I either use swiss boullion powder or kelloo vegetable stock cubes, which are organic and not too expensive if you live near an Asda, these dissolved in boiling water, thickened with flour and darkened with a smidgeon of gravy browning, make a very tasty gravy...of course if you have vegetable water left over that adds flavour and nutrition.
    by taurusgb

I'll have a look in Asda - cheers
    • CCStar
    • By CCStar 22nd Mar 06, 10:14 PM
    • 6,569 Posts
    • 15,552 Thanks
    CCStar
    I used bisto made with water, add some port and cranberry sauce. I managed to add some beef juices too and it was fab

Be wary of those granules, Oxo stocks, they have MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) in them - my husband is allergic to it - gives him hallucinations
    An average day in my life
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
    • jan59
    • By jan59 22nd Mar 06, 10:18 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    jan59
    • 22nd Mar 06, 10:18 PM
    • 22nd Mar 06, 10:18 PM
    I used bisto made with water, add some port and cranberry sauce. I managed to add some beef juices too and it was fab

Be wary of those granules, Oxo stocks, they have MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) in them - my husband is allergic to it - gives him hallucinations
    by CCStar
    Like the idea of the added port and cranberry sauce

Crikey, MSG a shocker for both of you!! Is it scary when he's having them? Does he remember what he sees??
  • kittiwoz
    • 23rd Mar 06, 3:02 AM
    • 23rd Mar 06, 3:02 AM
    I was a veggie til quite recently and used to make "gravy" like this (think this is from Rose Elliot if I remeber right):

Fry half a sliced onion in a tablespoon of oil. Add a heaped tspn of flour and cook til it browns. Gradually add water in the same way you would add milk to make a white sauce. I flavour it with marmite , mustard and a bay leaf and simmer it for about 10 mins. I also add a splash of red wine if I have any.

If I was having a lighter tasting meal like a mushroom pie I sometimes just used to make up some Swiss Bouillon powder and use that. It makes a vegtable stock that tastes a lot like chicken soup. It's quite expensive but very good. You might also be able to get soup powder for chicken or chicken flavour soup. Telma is a brand that I have tried and thought was very nice. If your supermarket has a kosher section you'd probably find it there but it might be difficult to get hold of otherwise.
  • owey
    • 23rd Mar 06, 5:10 AM
    • 23rd Mar 06, 5:10 AM
    Flour, oxo and use the water from your veg, don't forget to strain yummy .
    • skintchick
    • By skintchick 23rd Mar 06, 6:58 AM
    • 14,668 Posts
    • 23,339 Thanks
    skintchick

by CCStar

My dad's allergic to it as well - makes him puff up
    DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007
    married 21 6 08 Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014!
    • tanith
    • By tanith 23rd Mar 06, 7:32 AM
    • 7,981 Posts
    • 8,589 Thanks
    tanith
    I discovered that on another thread that gravy granules have so much trans fat in , so I threw mine in the bin and got some bisto powder and made my own last week it was much tastier just using the meat juices , potatoe water and bisto powder , thickened a little with flour.... I am making an effort to try and cut out all the rubbish they put in every damn thing.......but sometimes its b----y hard
    • Swan
    • By Swan 23rd Mar 06, 10:23 AM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    soy sauce is a good substitute for oxo etc, I haven't used a stock cube in decades

make sure you check the label first though, some brands have MSG & other additives in them
    • lindadykes
    • By lindadykes 23rd Mar 06, 11:51 AM
    • 398 Posts
    • 1,165 Thanks
    lindadykes
    For chicken I make gravy with cornflour, chicken stock cube and 50% milk and 50% water. Or if I have made yorkshire puds I just thicken the stock with some of the yorkshire pudding mixture, (for beef as well as chicken). Just make sure you add the hot liquid to the left over mixture while stirring constantly, then bring back to the boil, again continuing to stir and simmer for about 2 minutes.
    Linda
  • filigree
    Slightly off-topic but I do miss Bisto Chicken gravy powder. All you can get now is their original gravy powder, which is too dark for my liking. Nowadays I use half/half bisto and cornflour so my chicken gravy is well, chicken coloured! I do use HM stock so at least I don't have evil Oxo to contend with. Gravy granules are OK for an emergency but they make every meal taste the same.

If I can track down a contact address for Bisto I'll email them and ask about bringing back the chicken powder. It can't do any harm and they might even send me some vouchers

The best gravy I ever ate was the time I roasted a chicken and a small ham in the same pan so the meat juices mingled. You wouldn't believe how yummy it was, I could happily have eaten a plate full of just mash and gravy
  • jamescredmond
    the perfect gravy.....please!!!
    I'm fed up of instant gravy and hoping that someone can help me make my own.
    bangers and mash tonight.any help much appreciated and apologies if this question has been asked before.
    miladdo
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 18th Sep 06, 11:18 AM
    • 4,310 Posts
    • 9,437 Thanks
    Linda32
    Hello, I'm not going to be of much help but I think you need the juices from a roast, mainly so these taste and enough juice to start with.

We don't very oftern have a roast, infact I think the last one was Turkey last December
    So I always us Bisto, which I know isn't OS but if you don't have the roast in the first place :confused:

We love bangers and mash with gravy - Hungry now.
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 18th Sep 06, 11:21 AM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    Oxo cube, 1 tbsp Bisto powder, 1tbsp plain flour. Mix into a paste, top up to 1/2 pint, heat in saucepan, stiring all the time. Add meat juices and the drained green cabbage juices to get required thickness.
    2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
    • Pipkin
    • By Pipkin 18th Sep 06, 11:36 AM
    • 583 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    Pipkin
    I'm not a good cook, but I managed to make a really nice gravy the other day:

I took 2 cloves of crushed garlic and gently softened them in some oil,
    added the juices from a roast, one stock cube crumbled up, and some hot water (I think a dash of worcester sauce too),which was then thickened with a paste made from cornflour and water (made like the the bisto paste mentioned in the preceeding post).

I know without roast juices it would not be quite so tasty, but still ok I should think, perhaps made better by adding an extra stockcube?
    • gingin
    • By gingin 18th Sep 06, 11:38 AM
    • 2,887 Posts
    • 8,948 Thanks
    gingin
    I made some yesterday to go with bangers and mash. Off the top of my head it was

2 onions sliced (slowly cooked for 1/2 an hour in a knob of butter).
    Add 1 tablespoon of flour stir for a couple of minutes
    Add 75ml red wine or masala (you can leave this out and just add stock if you wish)
    250ml stock
    A dash of worcester and salt and pepper

Leave to bubble slowly for 15 minutes. It was very thick and rich.
    • dronid
    • By dronid 18th Sep 06, 12:03 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    dronid
    Basic Gravy
    Whatever juices are in the roasting pan
    1pt stock(ideally water from the vegetables)/wine/water and stock cube
    1tbsp Plain Flour and slightly more of fat (hopefully there should be enough in the tin otherwise add some oil/dripping etc.

Put the roasting pan over the heat until it's sizzling, add the flour and stir briskly into the fat and juices. You'll need to be pretty asssertive in your stirring as well as this stops lumps. You should end up with something like a thick paste and it should be sizzling too (this is a roux).
    Start stiring in the stock a little at a time. It should amalgamate with the roux and loosen up. Keep stiring and adding, the mixture should be bubbling all the time, it can't be done cold or cool. Each time you mix in some stock ensure it's all mixed in.

That's gravy.

If it's too thick add a little more stock, if it's too thin simmer it until it reduces and thickens up.

Cheat - use cornflour and do the same thing, it shouldn't form lumps at all. just keep mixing!

if you want it particularly flavoursome add a halved onion to the roast while you cook it. It also makes it darker

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

Current debt 7000 - loan. And a 4000 pound overdraft. That didn't work, did it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

858Posts Today

6,364Users online

Martin's Twitter