Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    kinkyjinks
    Letter writing
    • 28th Sep 10, 7:12 PM
    Letter writing 28th Sep 10 at 7:12 PM
    Until today I forgot all about the art of letter writing. I received a proper hand written letter today from a friend I never kept in touch with when I left Scotland 10 years ago. I'm more of one of those kind of people who will text or email you and as soon as the hand written envelope fell through my door today, I realised how odd it was to get a proper hand written letter through the letterbox.

I have to admit that I just had to send a letter back on paper that reflected who I am now so went looking everywhere in my home town. I tried Wilkos, B & M, home bargains, Tesco but when I tried W.H. Smith and still never found anything other than plain lined paper I knew I was on a losing cause It's all too easy to pick up a phone/write an email/send a text now and it makes me slightly sad we've forgotten how to send 'real' letters.

I've found some lovely writing paper on amazon for my next letter, which I'm really looking forward to writing, but it's a bit sad that we've forgotten how to write letters, even children writing thank you letters twice a year. I've found it so hard not to resort to LOL and all the usual acronyms, that I've felt old/young before my time. I've had a mobile phone for about 15 years, the internet for maybe 10, but in all that time, I've never realised how 'old fashioned' it is to write a plain old letter. Have we really forgotten the art of letter writing?
    "Whos that tripping over my bridge?" roared the Troll.
    "Oh, its only me, the littlest Billy-goat Gruff and Im going off to the hills to make myself fat"
Page 1
    • JulieGeorgiana
    • By JulieGeorgiana 28th Sep 10, 7:53 PM
    • 2,467 Posts
    • 12,987 Thanks
    JulieGeorgiana
    • 28th Sep 10, 7:53 PM
    • 28th Sep 10, 7:53 PM
    I get hand written letters from a friend of mine... and I send them to my gran from time to time.

My son and I always make AND write Thank you letters for Christmas and Birthdays.

We also make and send Birthday Cards (although we get very few in return)!

I hate that for my birthday I got more texts and facebook messages then I did cards!!!!

I love what you wrote... it's an art that we are losing... and we should try and regain this lovely art x
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!

Mortgage Free Wannabe
    Overpayments Made: 5400 - Interest Saved: 11,550 - Months Saved: 24
    • poppett
    • By poppett 28th Sep 10, 7:58 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    poppett
    • 28th Sep 10, 7:58 PM
    • 28th Sep 10, 7:58 PM
    I have actually been penpalling for around 20 years and although a few of my pals have chose to email their "letters" the majority still like good old snail mail. It is so much nicer to receive a handwritten letter through your letterbox than a dreaded bill.

I have noticed over the years though that nice writing paper has almost disappeared but I am now in touch with an old school friend who is an agent for a good stationary/card company and I ordered some beautiful paper from her recently.

And KinkyJinks I love your avatar.....the green fairy....I love absinthe too
    2 savers club. No.90. Aim 500.
  • kinkyjinks
    • 28th Sep 10, 8:44 PM
    • 28th Sep 10, 8:44 PM

I hate that for my birthday I got more texts and facebook messages then I did cards!!!!

I love what you wrote... it's an art that we are losing... and we should try and regain this lovely art x
    Originally posted by JulieGeorgiana
    Ditto with the cards. I really do feel like we're losing something with social networking. The instantaneous nature of the internet is fine for all the people who are only my friend on Facebook because we share playing the same game.

It was really nice reading a hand written letter, catching up on 10 years, it was more personal because I knew it took longer to write than it did to type. Hmmmm maybe I'll need to find myself a writing slope
    Last edited by kinkyjinks; 28-09-2010 at 9:57 PM.
    "Oh, its only me, the littlest Billy-goat Gruff and Im going off to the hills to make myself fat"
  • kinkyjinks
    • 28th Sep 10, 8:56 PM
    • 28th Sep 10, 8:56 PM
    I have actually been penpalling for around 20 years and although a few of my pals have chose to email their "letters" the majority still like good old snail mail. It is so much nicer to receive a handwritten letter through your letterbox than a dreaded bill.

I have noticed over the years though that nice writing paper has almost disappeared but I am now in touch with an old school friend who is an agent for a good stationary/card company and I ordered some beautiful paper from her recently.

Originally posted by poppett
    It was lovely getting a real letter As for the nice writing paer, I'm going to stock up on some nice stuff because I've realised it's such a dying art. I've never thought about getting a pen pal (not a penpal account) I might look into it. I was really disappointed not to be able to buy nice writing paper in the regular shops though

And KinkyJinks I love your avatar.....the green fairy....I love absinthe too
    Originally posted by poppett
    Thanks I love my avatar. It sums me up just about right
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 28th Sep 10, 9:01 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    • 28th Sep 10, 9:01 PM
    • 28th Sep 10, 9:01 PM
    I noticed this a few weeks ago when I wanted to send a letter/card to my Uncle. I looked in a lot of different places for some nice notelets which I really struggled to find (and when I did they were all covered in flowers/fluffy animals/chocolates which wasn't really what I wanted!)

I almost gave up and bought writing paper but it was all cheap looking white lined paper. I ended up getting a mixed pack of notelets and sent a letter on a 'daisy' card which i'm sure he loved I could have quite easily typed a letter, but I just don't think it's the same.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
  • babybug
    • 29th Sep 10, 10:50 AM
    • 29th Sep 10, 10:50 AM
    I tend to write to my grandmother, who loves to get handwritten notes as she hates using the phone.

The best place I find for writing supplies as paperchase (I love their stuff) - not cheap though!
    Nobody I'd rather be
    • kerleytops
    • By kerleytops 29th Sep 10, 10:51 AM
    • 339 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    kerleytops
    • 29th Sep 10, 10:51 AM
    • 29th Sep 10, 10:51 AM
    You could design your own using templates from the web eg a border, your address at the top then a motif and hand write your letter in the space left. Easy to personalize too.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 29th Sep 10, 11:07 AM
    • 4,942 Posts
    • 28,346 Thanks
    foxgloves
    • 29th Sep 10, 11:07 AM
    • 29th Sep 10, 11:07 AM
    I still write letters to family & friends. It isn't a case of one or the other as I use emails & texts too but I know how lovely it feels to get in from work to find a real letter from a friend or my sister with all the latest news & gossip which I can settle down on the sofa to read with a big mug of coffee. I still like to receive a thankyou letter or note from people to whom we've sent presents. I do get texts from some people but it's the lazy way out to tap in 'Thanks for the present, hope you had a good Christmas' & just send it to everyone. I kind of think if people can't be bothered to drop me a proper little note to say thanks (or make the effort to phone me) then I'm not sure I want to be bothered spending much time choosing & sending a gift. So I'll continue writing to my Mum every couple of weeks which I've been doing since I moved away from home and to my sister who is 150 miles away and to friends I don't see very often.....& I know I'll continue to enjoy getting their long chatty letters back. I've also kept the letters I received from my husband before we were living together. They were very romantic times & it's hard to believe there are going to be people who have conducted all their correspondence completely in text & won't ever have written or received a real soppy or sexy love letter!
    Last edited by foxgloves; 29-09-2010 at 11:10 AM.
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 29th Sep 10, 7:25 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    , Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move discussions from the MoneySaving boards if they’re not related to MoneySaving to help everyone find the MoneySaving tips and discussion quicker (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to Discussion Time/The Arms. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.

thanks
    Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Oblivion
    • By Oblivion 29th Sep 10, 7:39 PM
    • 19,247 Posts
    • 58,472 Thanks
    Oblivion
    I do find it very sad that the beauty and personal quality of a hand written letter will almost certainly be lost on a 'keyboard generation'.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 13th year of leisure

I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • ben500
    Until today I forgot all about the art of letter writing. I received a proper hand written letter today from a friend I never kept in touch with when I left Scotland 10 years ago. I'm more of one of those kind of people who will text or email you and as soon as the hand written envelope fell through my door today, I realised how odd it was to get a proper hand written letter through the letterbox.

I have to admit that I just had to send a letter back on paper that reflected who I am now so went looking everywhere in my home town. I tried Wilkos, B & M, home bargains, Tesco but when I tried W.H. Smith and still never found anything other than plain lined paper I knew I was on a losing cause It's all too easy to pick up a phone/write an email/send a text now and it makes me slightly sad we've forgotten how to send 'real' letters.

I've found some lovely writing paper on amazon for my next letter, which I'm really looking forward to writing, but it's a bit sad that we've forgotten how to write letters, even children writing thank you letters twice a year. I've found it so hard not to resort to LOL and all the usual acronyms, that I've felt old/young before my time. I've had a mobile phone for about 15 years, the internet for maybe 10, but in all that time, I've never realised how 'old fashioned' it is to write a plain old letter. Have we really forgotten the art of letter writing?
    Originally posted by kinkyjinks
    The art of letter writing is somewhat a negative to texting, never use one word when five will do the same job.
  • ben500
    I do find it very sad that the beauty and personal quality of a hand written letter will almost certainly be lost on a 'keyboard generation'.
    Originally posted by Oblivion
    There is hope on the horizon I hear they are developing a ball point pen with spellchecker fitted.
  • Middy
    I have written a letter to my dear friend thanking her for her love, understanding and support she has given me over some personal issues earlier this month. She says that the handwritting brings out the phyiscal warmth etc that a typed letter/email cannot. She did shed the odd tear (bless!)
    • poorly scammo
    • By poorly scammo 29th Sep 10, 8:59 PM
    • 32,062 Posts
    • 66,699 Thanks
    poorly scammo
    I love writing letters but most people prefer email these days *sigh*.

I have been known to write the odd ardent love letter in the past.
    4.30: conduct pigeon orchestra...
  • jessilu1
    I'm the same as poppet, I have had International snail mail pals for years now and we mail back and forth often.

I always love to write on beautiful paper, and my local branch of Staples often has stunning coloured writing paper, so I get mine there.

Also our local Homecraft also do some nice writing paper as well.

I have to say that my American penpals source really pretty writing paper easily, crafts are a huge thing over there, so there's plenty variations.
    Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for the whole cow.
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 29th Sep 10, 9:23 PM
    • 2,727 Posts
    • 4,731 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    There are some young folk who still write 'real' letters - I sent out several to family to thank them for 19th birthday presents I agree, it is lovely to see something with a handwritten address in the post, you know it should be something nice. Typing is somewhat impersonal I find, although its great for speed and instant messaging while doing a dozen other things.
    Slinkies 2018 Challenge - 0/80lb lost
    • Outer Limits
    • By Outer Limits 29th Sep 10, 10:27 PM
    • 10,286 Posts
    • 31,646 Thanks
    Outer Limits
    Originally posted by JulieGeorgiana
    Unless they were from people I only knew on the net I wouldn't count that as a card. I appreciate it when people have thought about me and picked out a birthday card I'll like, and love being able to see them all (bit like having Christmas decorations but all for me!)

Personal letters these days tend to be in cards (the blank inside ones.)
  • jules42
    awww i want someone to write me a letter on proper paper with a proper pen in a proper envelope with a proper stamp delivered by my postman and bills dont count
    sex, drugs and rock n roll - you know it makes sense

"Magic people, voodoo people. The voodoo who do what you don't dare do people." Prodigy
  • jessilu1
    awww i want someone to write me a letter on proper paper with a proper pen in a proper envelope with a proper stamp delivered by my postman and bills dont count
    Originally posted by jules42

lol, send us all your addy Jules and you'll be sorry you said that...
    Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. This is like mistaking a cup of milk for the whole cow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

1,871Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin