Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pollyzanna
    • By pollyzanna 25th Sep 10, 5:22 PM
    • 75Posts
    • 108Thanks
    pollyzanna
    Vendors EA given her our email address!
    • 25th Sep 10, 5:22 PM
    Vendors EA given her our email address! 25th Sep 10 at 5:22 PM
    We made an offer on a house and had to "confirm in writing" so we sent an email to the EA.
    The EA then forwarded this email straight to the vendor without taking out our email address.
    Last night the vendor emailed us direct asking us to increase our offer by £5k!!

Is there any kind of legal thing that says the EA has done something wrong? I mean, I know we didn't explicitly say "please don't forward this directly to the vendor, because we don't want them to have our personal email address" but surely that's a given?

PS No, we're not increasing our offer!!!!
    Last edited by pollyzanna; 25-09-2010 at 5:22 PM. Reason: more info.
    Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 25th Sep 10, 5:32 PM
    • 47,991 Posts
    • 58,725 Thanks
    G_M
    • 25th Sep 10, 5:32 PM
    • 25th Sep 10, 5:32 PM
    Pretty bad practice but I don't think illegal.

Ignore the vendor and give the agent a piece of your mind.

If you're really angry, and not too bothered about this property, why not say in view of the bad practice you are reducing your offer by £1K and the offer is good for 48 hours. And cc the vendor so they know what you think of their agents and their counter-offer!

Then go find different agents.
  • DVardysShadow
    • 25th Sep 10, 5:55 PM
    • 25th Sep 10, 5:55 PM
    Who do you want to poke in the eye? The agent or the vendor?

I think I would feel inclined to email back that the only reason you confirmed by email was because the agent indicated that the deal was in the bag and that the email was just final confirmation of verbal negotiations - particularly if there was the least indication along these lines and that therefore you are not minded to continue negotiation, although the offer remains open for 72 hours [I would leave a little more than 48 hours, unless you are now minded to walk away]
  • firstaspect
    • 25th Sep 10, 6:01 PM
    • 25th Sep 10, 6:01 PM
    I'd be pretty annoyed but it's not worth taking further. I would either ignore the mail or reply stating all communication should be through the EA
    • tawse57
    • By tawse57 25th Sep 10, 6:20 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    tawse57
    • 25th Sep 10, 6:20 PM
    • 25th Sep 10, 6:20 PM
    So you're The Masked Turnip. Yet another HPC vulture.
    Originally posted by MadnessOfHPC

You flatter me.

I know to whom you are referring but TMT is not I for, although I would be proud to be likened to TMT, I am fairly new to understanding the madness of house prices.

I am another one of your nemesis's from HPC.

Look for a HPC newbie and there you will find me, look for an over-priced asking price and there you will find me, look to estate agent and seller greed and there you will find me, look to... oh, you get the point.

Question is, why do you appear to lurk constantly over on housepricecrash?

Are you really that Bruno Prozi whatshisname on Youtube?
    This is not financial nor legal nor property advice. Consult a paid professional if in doubt.
  • tbs624
    • 25th Sep 10, 6:42 PM
    • 25th Sep 10, 6:42 PM
    I generally view it as discourteous for someone to forward an email to a third party, without the writer's permission, but in this case the EA is acting for the vendor so would think nothing of passing your email on to them. If you don't want to be contacted via email then use snail mail and/or phone calls.

It safest to assume that people will hit forward without thought. My own bugbear is the group email which uses cc instead of bcc

Look at this from another angle - you now have the vendor's email address becuse they contacted you direct :-) When I buy/sell a property I like to have direct contact info for the other party but perhaps that's because I distrust EAs
  • WardwarkOwner
    • 25th Sep 10, 6:44 PM
    • 25th Sep 10, 6:44 PM
    The constant diatribe on HPC about MSE is getting a bit tiresome don't you think?

If you think your better off not buying, don't. There's no need to be so unpleasant.

If I'd taken HPC's advice I'd have STRed (Sold to Rent) expecting a huge fall back in 2003 and I'd now be in the situation where:
    it would cost me much more to buy one

I'd have spent a lot more on rent over the last 7 years

Rents are increasing whilst interest rates are very low (I have a
    property which currently costs me less than £17 per month with a balance of approx £200K, I get £1250 per month rent on this)

During the last 7 years that HPC has been going, inflation has been eating away at the value of the interest only mortgages I have and my repayments mortgages got through more than a quarter of the term of the mortgages. Meanwhile tenants were paying the bulk (occasionally only the majority) of the costs.

Given the above I wonder why HPC members feel that they are qualified to give advice let alone abuse on their site.
  • Sambucus Nigra
    • 25th Sep 10, 6:52 PM
    • 25th Sep 10, 6:52 PM
    We made an offer on a house and had to "confirm in writing" so we sent an email to the EA.
    The EA then forwarded this email straight to the vendor without taking out our email address.
    Last night the vendor emailed us direct asking us to increase our offer by £5k!!

Is there any kind of legal thing that says the EA has done something wrong? I mean, I know we didn't explicitly say "please don't forward this directly to the vendor, because we don't want them to have our personal email address" but surely that's a given?

PS No, we're not increasing our offer!!!!
    Originally posted by pollyzanna
    I haven't got a clue what the others are on about but just reply and say so!
    • papalimabravo
    • By papalimabravo 25th Sep 10, 7:07 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    papalimabravo
    • 25th Sep 10, 7:07 PM
    • 25th Sep 10, 7:07 PM
    pollyzanna,

If you were to end up buying this place then, by definition, the vendor would know where you live.

What's the big deal with them knowing your email address?
    • Running Horse
    • By Running Horse 25th Sep 10, 7:08 PM
    • 10,571 Posts
    • 21,268 Thanks
    Running Horse
    Does every discussion have to be invaded and taken over by nutters from the other place?
    I was present at wreath-laying but don't think I was involved.
    • Running Horse
    • By Running Horse 25th Sep 10, 7:13 PM
    • 10,571 Posts
    • 21,268 Thanks
    Running Horse
    I don't care.

The OP asked us for help and advice.

Not another slanging match between the usual suspects.

Jeez. Get a life.
    • tyllwyd
    • By tyllwyd 25th Sep 10, 7:14 PM
    • 5,405 Posts
    • 4,393 Thanks
    tyllwyd
    Last night the vendor emailed us direct asking us to increase our offer by £5k!!...
    Originally posted by pollyzanna
    I think it was unprofessional of the estate agent to have given the vendor your email address without your permission. I think from his point of view it might open up a can of worms if the two of you start talking direct rather than through him, especially if it comes to negotiating offers.

If I were you, I'd email the estate agent explaining the situation, and asking him to apologise to the vendor but that you think that at this stage it is best if communication is via him to avoid any misunderstandings. And make it clear to him exactly your position regarding your offer. BUT keep it all very polite and neutral and don't say anything you wouldn't want forwarded on by mistake to the vendor!
    Last edited by tyllwyd; 25-09-2010 at 7:16 PM. Reason: to add in the quote
    • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    • By HAMISH_MCTAVISH 25th Sep 10, 7:16 PM
    • 26,028 Posts
    • 59,300 Thanks
    HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    Does every discussion have to be invaded and taken over by nutters from the other place?
    Originally posted by Running Horse
    It seems so.....

This thread has been linked to from the nuthouse.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=151683
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
    -- President John F. Kennedy”
    • Running Horse
    • By Running Horse 25th Sep 10, 7:17 PM
    • 10,571 Posts
    • 21,268 Thanks
    Running Horse
    You mean the house price forum? Oh wait, the other nuthouse.

Two sides of the same coin. A plague on both your houses.
  • Super Ted
    like the Winner says ....
    ....calm down dear.

HPC senior veteran/mentalist reporting for duty.

You might have a case of sorts under data protection but I'm not sure what material harm has or could possibly come to you due to the disclosure of your email address?

Although agents can be useful they are an extra member in the chain of comunication and are used to negotiating (on their clients behalf) unless the vendor is involved in negotiation of salesfor a living you are probably better off battering them direct.

Given the piddly amount they are asking you to raise the offer by I would suggest they want to accept but need a little ego massaging to get over the mental hurdle of taking an amount under asking price. My advice would be let the offer stand and wait for them to accept, any amount you give them wont matter a bean later and don't forget you still have post survey negotiations yet.

Good luck with the purchase.

ST

Now the rest of you coupon cutters can stop giving HPC a roasting and come play with the big boys if you are up to it.
    • Brallaqueen
    • By Brallaqueen 25th Sep 10, 10:29 PM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 2,477 Thanks
    Brallaqueen
    At least you know the EA is passing the offers on and not just pretending to increase the price as some other posts suggest they do. You can now also copy in the vendors with any proof/backing up of your offer and be sure that they are aware. I think many people would agree that EAs have a reputation for massaging the figures...
    Emergency savings: 4600
    0% Credit card: 1965.00
    • neverdespairgirl
    • By neverdespairgirl 25th Sep 10, 11:22 PM
    • 16,072 Posts
    • 71,580 Thanks
    neverdespairgirl
    I don't quite see why the EA wouldn't pass it on. the EA is the agent for the vendor, that's all.
    • neverdespairgirl
    • By neverdespairgirl 25th Sep 10, 11:41 PM
    • 16,072 Posts
    • 71,580 Thanks
    neverdespairgirl
    they have a habit of not passing on low offers, it doesnt do them any favours.
    Originally posted by the realist
    Sorry, I meant the email address, not an offer.
    • vectistim
    • By vectistim 26th Sep 10, 6:42 AM
    • 610 Posts
    • 420 Thanks
    vectistim
    It was a bit dodgy passing on the email in its entirety.

_Be careful_ if you start dealing with the vendors directly. What often happens is that buyer and seller start becoming friendly and talking to each other all the time and then end up falling out over the number of lightbulbs or somesuch. Keeping all communications via the agent might slow things up a little, but it helps to keep communications professional, and if there is some sort of issue (eg: mortgage down valuation) it gives time for people to consider the options at a distance rather than fly off the handle at each other.
    IANAL etc.
  • Jojo1daffy
    Were you confirming an accepted offer in writing? When I accepted an offer on my house I got written confirmation from the EA detailing the offer and the conditions of that. They may have received written confirmation from the buyer but that wasn't passed to me. Sounds like your EA made an admin error to me, but it's not a big deal, just ring them and ask if what happened is usual and you would rather deal with the EA rather then the vendor directly. After all thats what the EA is there for.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,238Posts Today

5,657Users online

Martin's Twitter