Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    bluejeans53
    Time To Sort My Life Out
    • 22nd Sep 10, 11:20 AM
    Time To Sort My Life Out 22nd Sep 10 at 11:20 AM
    Hiya, just wanted to pop on and say "hello and thankyou for sharing"

I am 53yr old female, who's attitude to money as far back as I can remember is "easy come easy go" . Needless to say that attitude has got me in to big trouble over the years.

So here I am to sort my life out.

I have been logging on to this site for about a week now. what an amazing bunch of people, some living from day to day facing tremendous odds. Your stories threads and determination has inspired me to join you all and once and for all become debt free.

I am very lucky in the fact that both myself and my DH work full time and have quite decent earnings between the two of us. So with some re arranging, organising, phone calls, letters and a block on my very wastefull spending I CAN DO THIS.

I intend to post here daily, so my story will unfold as I go. Very ashamed to say I do not know exact amount of my debt, as I have not worked it out or sorted out any paper work (another of my bad habits, I procrastinate terribly) But I think they must be in the region of about 6000.

Well I will post now and then get down to do some sorting out, back later with today's "Have done's" instead of today's "should do's but have not done's"

Do I need this or just want it.
    If you always do what you always do...You will get what you always get.
    Debt Free since 16/12/10
    Starting Weight 14-7 Current 13-7-0 total -14lb
Page 1
    • winner12
    • By winner12 22nd Sep 10, 11:30 AM
    • 426 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    winner12
    • 22nd Sep 10, 11:30 AM
    • 22nd Sep 10, 11:30 AM
    Hi there
    Good for you ! you can save quite a bit by swopping electric gas etc if you have not done this before you can follow the links at the top of the page if you write down everything you pay out debts included mortgage food fuel clothing emergency fund(never had one just used a credit card big mistake) you will shock yourself into getting sorted its a great leveler
    Good Luck
  • bluejeans53
    • 22nd Sep 10, 11:59 AM
    Rent Arrears Phone Call
    • 22nd Sep 10, 11:59 AM
    Just a quick update,

I have just rang my rent company and must admit they were very friendly and helpful. I have been putting off that particular job for about 3 weeks.

Rent 72.92 per week
    Arrears 526.72
    they would ask for a minimum of 80 per week.

I think that is a very reasonable minimum amount to ask for. I am going to ring them back tomorrow with a proposal, as I am currently doing my budget on this site. I did tell them too that i was getting help through this site

Right, back to sorting stuff out.

Thankyou winner12 for your input and advice. All constructive advice and comments welcome. and the occasional kick up the but when I'm slacking

Debt Free since 16/12/10
    • winner12
    • By winner12 22nd Sep 10, 12:47 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    winner12
    • 22nd Sep 10, 12:47 PM
    • 22nd Sep 10, 12:47 PM
    Hi again
    It feels good to get started and you must keep going even when you hit that brick wall and you will because someone or something wont play ball and your master plan may wobble on the track but good luck and I hope all works out ok
  • bluejeans53
    • 22nd Sep 10, 12:56 PM
    Wobble
    • 22nd Sep 10, 12:56 PM
    Hiya winner12,

Oh I will most deffinatley wobble, there is no doubt about that. I am at the moment full of determination and resolve but its keeping it going when it wains (and it will) that will be the test. I'l just keep posting, talking and listening and hope I can steer my way through it.

Debt Free since 16/12/10
  • bluejeans53
    • 22nd Sep 10, 1:03 PM
    local supermarket v loacal large supermarket
    • 22nd Sep 10, 1:03 PM
    Ok, I would usually have took my car on a 6-8mile round trip (I'll clock it next time) to my local asda. Picked up lots of bargains, that I do not need ! and spend 10-15-20 + the petrol money ?

Just been to my local supermarket, which is a Nisa, although things are a little bit more exspensive. I just got what I needed and spent 4.85

Debt Free since 16/12/10
  • sofababe
    • 22nd Sep 10, 1:14 PM
    • 22nd Sep 10, 1:14 PM
    Ok, I would usually have took my car on a 6-8mile round trip (I'll clock it next time) to my local asda. Picked up lots of bargains, that I do not need ! and spend 10-15-20 + the petrol money ?

Just been to my local supermarket, which is a Nisa, although things are a little bit more exspensive. I just got what I needed and spent 4.85

Originally posted by bluejeans53
    Well done. A great start. As u say the local shop may be a little more expensive than Asda but the money u save on not picking up all those rollbacks etc. is more. I shop online for my main shop now for exactly that reason, even with 4 delivery its still cheaper than letting myself loose on all those "bargains". Its only a bargain if you actually needed it in the first place
    • winner12
    • By winner12 22nd Sep 10, 1:16 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    winner12
    • 22nd Sep 10, 1:16 PM
    • 22nd Sep 10, 1:16 PM
    Hi food budget was my biggest challenge i now try to shop once a week I cut my bill down from 140 a week to 75 feeding 5 of us then i hit the clothes budget with 3 growing youngsters but I ask my family to give money for birthdays and christmas so it helps and i save for the big stuff uniforms etc all of which i used to bung on the credit card oh and i sold my car and paid off my loan and used the excess towards my other debts ie my overdraft still owe loads but I manage it now and i feel a little less stressed
  • bluejeans53
    • 22nd Sep 10, 1:28 PM
    • 22nd Sep 10, 1:28 PM
    Well done. A great start. As u say the local shop may be a little more expensive than Asda but the money u save on not picking up all those rollbacks etc. is more. I shop online for my main shop now for exactly that reason, even with 4 delivery its still cheaper than letting myself loose on all those "bargains". Its only a bargain if you actually needed it in the first place
    Originally posted by sofababe
    Hiya sofababe (lurrv that name, it should be mine)

Never done online shopping but can see the advantages. It would stop DH putting in this and that too, always half dozen things he sneaked in, when my back turned.

Only a bargain if you need it, soooo true, should put that in your sig or can I pinch it for mine. 1 shop a nightmare. OO thats handy and that and that, get to the till spent at least a fiver but noo more.

Thankyou for your input

Debt Free since 16/12/10
  • bluejeans53
    Hi food budget was my biggest challenge i now try to shop once a week I cut my bill down from 140 a week to 75 feeding 5 of us then i hit the clothes budget with 3 growing youngsters but I ask my family to give money for birthdays and christmas so it helps and i save for the big stuff uniforms etc all of which i used to bung on the credit card oh and i sold my car and paid off my loan and used the excess towards my other debts ie my overdraft still owe loads but I manage it now and i feel a little less stressed
    Originally posted by winner12
    Hiya Winner, 75 a week for 5 of you WOW I need some tips from you. I am in the middle of my budget and I have put 50 for two of us and 3 or 4 days a week I can eat at work for free. Making Shepperd's pie for today.

Mince from shop
    potatoes, onions and carrots from our allotment (its a waste we do not use it ti its full potential) something else I must stop procrastinating about and it will keep me away from the shops

I must have some of you recipes and tips, think I'll be posting to you soon lol

Debt Free since 16/12/10
    • winner12
    • By winner12 22nd Sep 10, 1:51 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    winner12
    Hi you have already started with only buying what you need love your allotment I did have a veg patch at my old place and only grew what we would eat but between homes at present while tackling my debt mountain so I have to penny pinch a little bit more.
    The supermarkets are very good at getting you to buy but I dont shop by brand anymore I buy cheaper meat and plan in advance we eat lots of Fruit and Veg which is cheap I dont buy stuff for the freezer like Fishfingers Smiley Faces or Ready Meals I can plan a nourishing meal for 5 for a fraction of the cost and I only let the kids have a few biscuits and cakes its cheaper to bake I know most people work but I have 3 small children and a workaholic OH I rarely see Im trying to find a job that works around the kids childcare is so expensive but with all the other millions looking for work its not easy its been and still is an education for me .
    Hope Im not rabbiting on too much will have to pick the kids up soon and now my car has gone i have a 4 mile walk a day just doing the school run but I am fitter and slimmer than I have been for years
    • Jinx
    • By Jinx 22nd Sep 10, 2:07 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 2,882 Thanks
    Jinx
    Well done on joining! I think this site is quite simply a life-saver and pretty much addictive!!

If your debts are in the region of 6k and you both have good jobs then you'll be chopping lumps off that debt in no time...

My signature has remained static for the last few months while Ive finished a contract and been jobhunting but now Ive been offered a new job its like that light at the end of the tunnel has got brighterThe time passes really quickly once you start...
    Light Bulb Moment - 11th Nov 2004 - Debt Free Day - 25th Mar 2011
  • bluejeans53
    DH taken aback a bit
    Picked DH up from work ( a wasted 28 mile journey today).

He walked in the door and said "Mmmmm" something smells nice. Shepperd's pie and home made biscuits winner12 inspired me. Looked in the BeRo book and found I had all the ingredients needed ? amazing !. Then informed him, he could take my car to work tomorrow . This has always been a no no, due to me having to go shopping for things "I need" !!!

He asked me what was up I replied I am rearranging our lives, he replied for the better it looks like. He is in for another shock after tea, when I pick up the allotment keys and walk round there too.

I took DH to work, then came on here and as you know, never got to Asda for those things I so needed (never missed the trip at all) then of course had to go back for him, so two 7 mile journeys I did not need to to do.

OK need to go check tea

Do I need this or just want it
    Debt Free since 16/12/10
  • bluejeans53
    Winner12 carry on chatting on as much as you like, we all in this together. smiley faces etc my granddaughter gets fed on this kind of stuff, not healthy at all, just convenient ! You will have to educate me on "kids meals"

Jinx Thankyou for your input. Fab about your job offer and Wow to you too you have come a long way in reducing your debt. When I have exact figures I will put them in my Sig too.

x
    Debt Free since 16/12/10
    • winner12
    • By winner12 22nd Sep 10, 4:38 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    winner12
    Hi there
    Back from my school run or walk 2 miles thankyou very much and guess what my little one has a rash that looks like chickenpox teacher said she has been off colour this afternoon but when she got home I noticed 1 spot then some more and within the last 1/2 hour more are appearing so she will be off school
    Anyhow back to kids tea my kids like to make their own pizza`s sometimes ,we use any cheap ASDA fresh baked bread 9 times out of 10 its been reduced (pick your shop time for bargains) add cheese fresh tomatoes and anything else they like (think Allotment)it makes a nice snack for their lunches too oh and good o for the Bero book would not be without mine and if your seriously penny pinching that mince you bought for your Sheperds pie you can split and make spaggetti bolognaise(hope i spelt it right)so got to go now to feed the little people its pizza(home made) with fresh salad and homemade colslaw yummy
    • barbiedoll
    • By barbiedoll 22nd Sep 10, 8:33 PM
    • 4,914 Posts
    • 13,488 Thanks
    barbiedoll
    Winner12: At least if little one is off her food, will save a bit on the shopping bill (only joking!)

Chicken pox is nasty for little kids but a really cheap way to ease the itching is to put a couple of tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda into a warm bath and to pour it over her skin and through her hair. It will make her skin and hair look dull but it really relieves the itching. And much cheaper than Piriton and calamine lotion, and a lot less messy! Don't buy Calpol, get the pharmacy/supermarket own brand, it's exactly the same stuff, just cheaper. Hope she feels better soon, although with 3 kids, I reckon you're in for a few weeks of grief indoors

Bluejeans53. It's never too late to get into the MSE ways and it's very addictive...even more so than pointless shopping! An allotment is a great investment and you could always try selling some of your stuff; depending on where you live, maybe you could place your excess veg in a box outside your gate and just ask for contributions? (Unless you live in a town like I do, where they'll steal the veg and the box and probably the garden gate too! )
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • bluejeans53
    Winner12 sorry to hear little one not well and as barbiedoll says, looks like getting worse with other children in the house too. Mmmmm pizza sounds delish, defiantly give that a go.

Barbiedoll Hiya and Thankyou for posting. Yes this is addictive and I am raring to go but it will slow and that will be my test how strong my resolve is ! LOL I live in sort of semi town country, I am on the outskirts of town, but don't think I will be putting at my gate. I have just joined an allotment site tonight, very much like this but veg n stuff instead of money.

Good day for me today

Sorted my rent arrears, going to back to take out two weeks rent (in case someone gobbles it up at the bank) put it in an envelope at home and that is safe till pay day, then put 4 weeks away, oh my never been ahead with anything in my life.

made tea from scratch and made biscuits

Went round to allotment, picked 4 corn on the cobs, 5 Min's in micro and a nob of butter on and that was supper.

DH thinks I wont keep it up.........I will prove him so wrong

Thankyou to all who have read and posted with idea's support and chat

X
    Debt Free since 16/12/10
  • ms_london
    Hello.

Sounds like you are doing really well so far, well done!

I think you have to treat MS as a challenge and challenge yourself to spend as little as possible - it is so rewarding getting items for nothing, like your own grown food I bet?

Keep posting xx
    • winner12
    • By winner12 23rd Sep 10, 8:41 AM
    • 426 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    winner12
    Good Morning
    I hope you are staying positive and good luck with what ever you decide to do today
  • bluejeans53
    Good Morning
    Hiya Ms_London Thankyou for your encouragement, it is a defiantly a challenge thinking "how can I do that for less" or "do I really need that" my aim is to post as much as possible to keep me on track. Somehow writing it down, seems to make it work better.

Hiya Winner12, I am still in a positive mood, thanks. How is your little one today ?

Today I plan to go to the bank and draw out my rent money for the next two weeks, that will take me to payday. I also want to draw out food money for the next 14 days but really have no idea how to set myself daily, as I usually just spend without thinking ! I was thinking of 7, I would rather go a bit higher and save it, than not have enough and go back to the back and find there is no money in there. I also have a part time job, which I will get paid from next Friday but that is bound to be gobbled up by a bill. It should be about 40-50.

Also going too look in the cupboards, freezer and I counted last night 20 cookery books I have lined up on my kitchen bench, never look in them and I can cook no problem

DH as too my car to work he asked me this morning "am I still taking the car". There is a little town about a 20 minute walk from me. Today I am going there, bus fare is 1.30 for about 5 stops, so yes I am walking it (need the exercise, I am also 4 stone overweight thats another story lol). and i get to use the speed bank for free. where I live I pay 1.25 or 1.75 to use speed bank .
    Also have to ring rent office and put in a offer of payment on my arrears, they asked for a minimum of 80 but have worked out I can do 83, which pays a clear 10 per week off my arrears.

Back again later

Debt Free since 16/12/10
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,549Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin