Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ruby Pudding
    • By Ruby Pudding 29th Sep 06, 6:09 PM
    • 888Posts
    • 1,239Thanks
    Ruby Pudding
    Parkin Recipe - by request
    • 29th Sep 06, 6:09 PM
    Parkin Recipe - by request 29th Sep 06 at 6:09 PM
    225g SR Flour
    1 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp bicarb of Soda
    1 lightly beaten egg
    115g caster sugar
    60g butter
    116g golden syrup
    225ml milk

Grease a 25cm x 18cm cake tin and line with greased greaseproof paper.

Sift the flour, ginger & bicarb and stir in the sugar. Melt the butter and golden syrup together and add to the flour along with the egg and the milk. Mix until the batter is smooth. Bake for 1 hour at 150c or until the cake starts to shrink away from the sides of the tin. Leave to cool and then store for a couple of days before eating to allow the cake to become extra moist and sticky.

Mods please feel free to merge/remove/add to index
Page 1
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 29th Sep 06, 6:15 PM
    • 19,651 Posts
    • 20,477 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 29th Sep 06, 6:15 PM
    • 29th Sep 06, 6:15 PM
    Can I ask about storage? Is it better to store it in a plastic container (very airtight) or a cake tin (dries it out a bit more so presumably it becomes stickier than in plastic) ???
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • Ruby Pudding
    • By Ruby Pudding 29th Sep 06, 6:23 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    Ruby Pudding
    • 29th Sep 06, 6:23 PM
    • 29th Sep 06, 6:23 PM
    Can I ask about storage? Is it better to store it in a plastic container (very airtight) or a cake tin (dries it out a bit more so presumably it becomes stickier than in plastic) ???
    by jobbingmusician
    I've only ever stored this in a plastic container so I wouldn't really know - it certainly develops and retains it's moistness very well in plastic but I guess either could be used - can anyone else advise?
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 29th Sep 06, 8:07 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    • 29th Sep 06, 8:07 PM
    • 29th Sep 06, 8:07 PM
    225g SR Flour
    1 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp bicarb of Soda
    1 lightly beaten egg
    115g caster sugar
    60g butter
    116g golden syrup
    225ml milk

Grease a 25cm x 18cm cake tin and line with greased greaseproof paper.

Sift the flour, ginger & bicarb and stir in the sugar. Melt the butter and golden syrup together and add to the flour along with the egg and the milk. Mix until the batter is smooth. Bake for 1 hour at 150c or until the cake starts to shrink away from the sides of the tin. Leave to cool and then store for a couple of days before eating to allow the cake to become extra moist and sticky.

Mods please feel free to merge/remove/add to index
    by Ruby Pudding

Is that 150c because its a fan oven?
    2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
    • CLARABEL
    • By CLARABEL 29th Sep 06, 8:31 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    CLARABEL
    • 29th Sep 06, 8:31 PM
    • 29th Sep 06, 8:31 PM
    thanks

mmmmm
    • Ruby Pudding
    • By Ruby Pudding 29th Sep 06, 8:34 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    Ruby Pudding
    • 29th Sep 06, 8:34 PM
    • 29th Sep 06, 8:34 PM
    Is that 150c because its a fan oven?
    by Rikki
    I don't think it's a fan oven - just been to check and no sign of a fan. 150c is the temp I was given along with the recipe so I just assumed that would be the same for both types. I did begin checking to see if it was done after about 40 mins but it did take the full hour to cook right through.
  • Jo138
    • 29th Sep 06, 9:39 PM
    • 29th Sep 06, 9:39 PM
    Does anyone have a VEGAN Parkin recipe please?
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
    George Bernard Shaw

• Ruby Pudding
    • By Ruby Pudding 29th Sep 06, 9:53 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    Ruby Pudding
    • 29th Sep 06, 9:53 PM
    • 29th Sep 06, 9:53 PM
    Does anyone have a VEGAN Parkin recipe please?
    by Jo138
    From Vegan News..............

* 90 ml sunflower oil or groundnut oil
    * 225 g medium oatmeal
    * 115 g wholemeal flour
    * 55 g soya flour
    * 2 tsp ground ginger
    * 1/2 tsp mixed spice
    * 1 level tsp cream of tartar
    * 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    * 140 g blackstrap molasses

Method

1. Place the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix in the oil.

2. Add the treacle and enough water to beat. Beat well.

3. Transfer the mixture to a 7" lined, square cake tin (or a lined baking tray) and smooth the mixture down.

4. Bake at Gas 6 (400 degrees F) for 30 minutes, then lower the gas and bake on Gas 4 (350 degrees F) for another 45 minutes. Test with a scewer - when done the scewer will come out clean.
  • Jo138
    • 29th Sep 06, 10:11 PM
    • 29th Sep 06, 10:11 PM
    Thanks Ruby Pudding That recipe looks YUMMY!
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
    George Bernard Shaw

• Ruby Pudding
    • By Ruby Pudding 29th Sep 06, 10:21 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    Ruby Pudding
    Thanks Ruby Pudding That recipe looks YUMMY!
    by Jo138
    It does, doesn't it? I'll be having a go at making it myself I think
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 30th Sep 06, 1:31 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    Bump! .
    2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 30th Sep 06, 1:56 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample
    Ahhh...there it is!

I thought parkin had treacle in? :confused:

I haven't got any ground ginger, but I've got a bit of root in the freezer. Could I use that?

And have I got to go and buy a loaf tin now? I'm running out of space, I've only got a little kitchen.
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
    • Ruby Pudding
    • By Ruby Pudding 30th Sep 06, 2:08 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    Ruby Pudding
    Ahhh...there it is!

I haven't got any ground ginger, but I've got a bit of root in the freezer. Could I use that?

And have I got to go and buy a loaf tin now? I'm running out of space, I've only got a little kitchen.
    by mrbadexample
    I certainly have seen Parkin recipes with treacle and/or black molasses in but I think (and I am willing to be corrected) that basically golden syrup, treacle and molasses are all roughly the same kind of thing so as long as you use one of them you should be fine.

Root ginger has a different taste to ground so I'm not sure how successful that may be in this recipe - I would invest in a little jar of ground for about 99p as you can use in it so many different recipes. In curry for instance you could use a little alongside the root to really add some gorgeous flavours.

No need to go and buy a loaf tin - have you any tins at all around that you could use instead? In fact you may be able to use that ceramic pie dish as long as you line in with the greaseproof paper.
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 30th Sep 06, 2:23 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample
    No need to go and buy a loaf tin - have you any tins at all around that you could use instead? In fact you may be able to use that ceramic pie dish as long as you line in with the greaseproof paper.
    by Ruby Pudding

That's yer lot.
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
    • Ruby Pudding
    • By Ruby Pudding 30th Sep 06, 2:35 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    Ruby Pudding
    Use one of the deep cake ones - they look ideal
    • jessicamb
    • By jessicamb 30th Sep 06, 3:00 PM
    • 10,066 Posts
    • 5,985 Thanks
    jessicamb
    Ahhh...there it is!

by mrbadexample

Should we take this as notice that you are cooking again?
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 30th Sep 06, 3:08 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample
    Should we take this as notice that you are cooking again?
    by jessicamb
    I might have a go at this one.

Probably won't do a thread on it though, as it looks a doddle for a cook of my calibre.
    • Ruby Pudding
    • By Ruby Pudding 30th Sep 06, 3:44 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    Ruby Pudding
    Probably won't do a thread on it though, as it looks a doddle for a cook of my calibre.
    by mrbadexample
    Cheeky boy
  • Edinburghlass
    I don't think it's a fan oven - just been to check and no sign of a fan.
    by Ruby Pudding
    Now this really worries me, I have visions of you opening the oven door expecting to see an desk top fan in your oven
    • Ruby Pudding
    • By Ruby Pudding 30th Sep 06, 3:58 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    Ruby Pudding
    Now this really worries me, I have visions of you opening the oven door expecting to see an desk top fan in your oven
    by Edinburghlass
    Is that not what I should be looking for then??

I checked the manual eventually and it's not a fan oven and cooking the parkin at 150c seemed to work out fine
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

729Posts Today

6,711Users online

Martin's Twitter