Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    Landlord Made BR - lost deposit, but OR said we could get it back? HELP
    • #1
    • 13th Sep 10, 4:25 PM
    Landlord Made BR - lost deposit, but OR said we could get it back? HELP 13th Sep 10 at 4:25 PM
    Hi All,

    We moved into our house 3 years ago. A year after we moved in our landlord whne bankrupt. He hadn't put our deposit in a secured scheme so it went down with him. After it happened we spoke with the official receiver for his estate and he said that we could still live in the property and when we moved out they would let us off the last months rent as a way for us to recoup our deposit.

    Unfortunately we never got this in writing. Since then they have appointed a managing agent. We are not sure what our current position is now. Our original tenancy agreement shows the deposit we paid and Shelter advised (at the time) that as they never issued us with a new contract they would be bound by the agreement of our original one.

    Can anyone offer any advice on this situation?

    Sorting my life out to give a better life to my
    2 gorgeous boys
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Sep 10, 4:35 PM
    • 49,220 Posts
    • 60,900 Thanks
    • #2
    • 13th Sep 10, 4:35 PM
    • #2
    • 13th Sep 10, 4:35 PM
    The Official receiver is now your landlord. They have the same obligations as any other landlord, including protecting your deposit in a scheme. Assuming your tenancy started after April 2007, the OR should place your deposit (for which you say you have a receipt) in a scheme.

    Write politely and suggest this is done.

    If you moved in before April 07, then the scheme is not obligatory. Write politely (or ring and discuss but then ask for written confirmation) outlining the agreement you reached with the OR and asking the managing agents to confirm this arrangement still applies in lieu of the deposit being protected.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

2,074Users online

Martin's Twitter