Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 9th Sep 10, 11:42 AM
    • 8,397Posts
    • 29,517Thanks
    Primrose
    Cutting down consumption of loo paper
    • 9th Sep 10, 11:42 AM
    Cutting down consumption of loo paper 9th Sep 10 at 11:42 AM
    Does anybody have any imaginative suggestions on how to reduce toilet paper consumption? It's a VATable item and is one of those essentials we unfortunately can't eliminate from our shopping bills.

(I'm convinced that the advice to eat your "Five a Day" doesn't help. High consumption of fruit and veg does seem to lead to half a loo roll being consumed on every visit )

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Deborah; 14-09-2010 at 8:51 PM.
Page 1
    • bryanb
    • By bryanb 9th Sep 10, 11:43 AM
    • 4,804 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    bryanb
    • 9th Sep 10, 11:43 AM
    Use both sides!
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
    • thepenniescount
    • By thepenniescount 9th Sep 10, 11:43 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    thepenniescount
    Squash the roll so it doesn't come off as quickly and easily.
    Last edited by thepenniescount; 09-09-2010 at 11:55 AM.
  • MummyOfTwo
    • 9th Sep 10, 11:47 AM
    • 9th Sep 10, 11:47 AM
    have you got a home bargains near you? they do 18 rolls for 2.99
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 9th Sep 10, 11:48 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 9th Sep 10, 11:48 AM
    • 9th Sep 10, 11:48 AM
    Hi Primrose

These threads may give you some ideas:

toilet rolls ? best way of saving

any alternative to loo roll...................

that whole loo roll thing

I'll add your thread to the first link later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 9th Sep 10, 11:54 AM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 9th Sep 10, 11:54 AM
    • 9th Sep 10, 11:54 AM
    (I'm convinced that the advice to eat your "Five a Day" doesn't help. High consumption of fruit and veg does seem to lead to half a loo roll being consumed on every visit )
    Originally posted by Primrose
    I believe the opposite to be true - hige fibre and a healthy diet should give firm stools, which need minimal wiping Hope this isn't TMI, but what so you expect reading a thread about loo roll
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • celyn90
    • By celyn90 9th Sep 10, 12:03 PM
    • 3,225 Posts
    • 15,221 Thanks
    celyn90
    • 9th Sep 10, 12:03 PM
    • 9th Sep 10, 12:03 PM
    Don;t have new ones in plain sight - people are normally a bit more careful if they think it's the last one left!
    beware of geeks bearing .gifs...

Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree
  • kunekune
    • 9th Sep 10, 12:26 PM
    • 9th Sep 10, 12:26 PM
    When I was a child my dad rationed it. We were allowed two squares per toilet visit.
    I think the washable wipes idea is quite good - not very different from using washable wipes for babies.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : 129,600
    Overpayments to date: 3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 9th Sep 10, 2:07 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 9th Sep 10, 2:07 PM
    • 9th Sep 10, 2:07 PM
    When I was a child my dad rationed it. We were allowed two squares per toilet visit.
    Originally posted by kunekune
    Two - seriously, my parents were convinced that one sheet per visit was plenty

I'm going to look into usable wipes, too
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • debtdesperado
    swap to that stuff which is like tracing paper... Izal, I think it's called? Much cheaper, much stronger so you only need one sheet...

But don't forget to scrunch it up first to soften it up a bit, otherwise it's not the most comfortable thing to use
    • lauren_1
    • By lauren_1 9th Sep 10, 2:59 PM
    • 1,984 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    lauren_1
    Get rid of men for a week?
    doubles my supply instantly
  • Hellyboo
    So, there are these boys,
    They kinda stole my heart,
    They call me Mummy

WW 37lb (2 STONE 9lbs! ) lost since July, 11tybillion to go...
    • Liquorice Twirls
    • By Liquorice Twirls 9th Sep 10, 4:35 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 531 Thanks
    Liquorice Twirls
    We use cut up rags for wee's in my house and paper for poo. Most of the rags are from old flannelette sheets and I haven't bothered hemming them. When they get too scrappy round the edges they get trimmed again till too tiny to use. We also have some made from old tshirts which although not so thick are great cos they don't fray.

The rags get stored in a bin with a lid and then thrown in the washing machine once a week or so. Our consumption of toilet roll has gone down considerably since doing this and I am happy that I am using less trees. Obviously you have to factor in the washing of the rags but I am more than happy to throw them in with other washing as its only wee.
    Originally posted by fayhare
    Great for you that you are able to economise in this way, but I have to say eugh!
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 9th Sep 10, 4:37 PM
    • 9,710 Posts
    • 58,552 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    Great for you that you are able to economise in this way, but I have to say eugh!
    Originally posted by Liquorice Twirls

me too

one way to cut down would be to go at work
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • MrsBartolozzi
    • By MrsBartolozzi 9th Sep 10, 4:49 PM
    • 6,209 Posts
    • 48,801 Thanks
    MrsBartolozzi
    Originally posted by Liquorice Twirls

But what's the difference between this and washable nappies, baby wipes, hankies, and sanitary towels?? It's just wee, not poo,bacteria infested snot, or blood.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • jackieglasgow
    Not that I am advocating theft, but when I was younger and lived abroad one of our favourite things to do to save our meagre pennies for beer was helping ourselves to loo rolls. The only place you could get them easily was an Irish pub, so we always took one whenever we went there. We even had a song to accompany it.

Other then that, I too am contemplating reuseable wipes for the bathroom, I will leave real paper for the guests in the downstairs loo though, and I also squash the roll.
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
    • northwest1965
    • By northwest1965 9th Sep 10, 5:05 PM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 4,630 Thanks
    northwest1965
    As someone who has a stepdaughter that uses 6 or 7 sheets just for a wee, it annoys me. I've tried squeezing the roll but that doesnt work. I'm going to start handing her 2 sheets before she goes
    Home Bargains is a really great for loo paper. I've just been converted to it.
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • parsonswife8
    Fayhare, what can I say? You must be the most money saving person I know, saying that, what the hell did they do in the old days?
    Must have been something similar, surely....well, maybe not the mooncup....

Felines are my favourite
  • parsonswife8
    swap to that stuff which is like tracing paper... Izal, I think it's called? Much cheaper, much stronger so you only need one sheet...

But don't forget to scrunch it up first to soften it up a bit, otherwise it's not the most comfortable thing to use
    Originally posted by debtdesperado

OMG, my MIL uses that.

Felines are my favourite
  • Hellyboo
    I find that the value stuff is a false economy tbh. It's so thin you need to use more for it to do it's job and be absorbent. I pay a little bit more and get the next step up and it lasts much longer.
    So, there are these boys,
    They kinda stole my heart,
    They call me Mummy

WW 37lb (2 STONE 9lbs! ) lost since July, 11tybillion to go...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,833Posts Today

10,207Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin