Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Sep 06, 2:24 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 26th Sep 06, 2:24 PM
    • 26th Sep 06, 2:24 PM
    I could do with some help with this.....

I have a some beef, leeks, seasoning, cream and white wine in my slow cooker. I'd like to top it with sliced potatoes (hotpot style).

Is it better to take the beef out of the slow cooker, transfer to another dish, top with the potatoes and finish in the oven? Or can it be done successfully in the slow cooker?

Thanks,

Pink
  • PONDSAVER
    • 26th Sep 06, 3:10 PM
    • 26th Sep 06, 3:10 PM
    I have one too

I have only ever used my sc to do braising steak but would like to do a joint - do I add water to this?
    Lightbulb moment 10-06-06
    Total debt £36,996.70 June 2006
    Total debt approx £33,000 Oct 2006
    Jan 07....to be worked out but may have gone up GULP:confused:
    DFD March 2011
    DFW Nerd 111

19 jan 23 feb 5 weeks - grocery challenge £250
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Sep 06, 3:41 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 26th Sep 06, 3:41 PM
    • 26th Sep 06, 3:41 PM
    I have one too

I have only ever used my sc to do braising steak but would like to do a joint - do I add water to this?
    by PONDSAVER
    Hi Pondsaver,

Any time I do a pot roast, I add a little bit of water or stock in the bottom with some onions and/or vegetables.

Pink
  • Peem
    • 26th Sep 06, 3:57 PM
    • 26th Sep 06, 3:57 PM
    oohh

thanks Gingham

I posted this on another thread - but it would be better here.

Hi & help

got my Swan 3.5l SC yesterday and tried to make porridge overnight. It ended up disgusting - top thick and hard, underneath runny and thin, mixed together to become a lumpy mess. And I had to soak the pot to get all the stuck porridge off the bottom.

I did what the recipe said - 250ml porridge, 750ml water (which is the same proportion as my packet of oats said, and the proportion I successfully use on the hob) and some salt. Put in and cooked on low for 8 hours.

What did I do wrong? What should I have done?:confused:

This is making me nervous of using it for cooking food which actually costs money.

thanks in anticipation
    "You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." - C.S. Lewis
    • annie-c
    • By annie-c 26th Sep 06, 4:27 PM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 3,130 Thanks
    annie-c
    • 26th Sep 06, 4:27 PM
    • 26th Sep 06, 4:27 PM
    I could do with some help with this.....

I have a some beef, leeks, seasoning, cream and white wine in my slow cooker. I'd like to top it with sliced potatoes (hotpot style).

Is it better to take the beef out of the slow cooker, transfer to another dish, top with the potatoes and finish in the oven? Or can it be done successfully in the slow cooker?

Thanks,

Pink
    by Pink-winged
    I have done this in the slow cooker and found that the potatoes cook fine, but don't have the same crispy texture as when done in the oven. My slow cooker pot is suitable for use in the oven - is yours? This would save messing round transferring the stuff between dishes.
    • bizzylizzy
    • By bizzylizzy 26th Sep 06, 7:32 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    bizzylizzy
    • 26th Sep 06, 7:32 PM
    • 26th Sep 06, 7:32 PM
    oohh

thanks Gingham

I posted this on another thread - but it would be better here.

Hi & help

got my Swan 3.5l SC yesterday and tried to make porridge overnight. It ended up disgusting - top thick and hard, underneath runny and thin, mixed together to become a lumpy mess. And I had to soak the pot to get all the stuck porridge off the bottom.

I did what the recipe said - 250ml porridge, 750ml water (which is the same proportion as my packet of oats said, and the proportion I successfully use on the hob) and some salt. Put in and cooked on low for 8 hours.

What did I do wrong? What should I have done?:confused:

This is making me nervous of using it for cooking food which actually costs money.

thanks in anticipation
    by Peem
    I had the same problem when I tried porridge overnight. I have successfully cooked casseroles in the SC though so don't let the porridge disaster put you off! Rice pudding is v. easy and delicious too.
    • pinkparrott
    • By pinkparrott 26th Sep 06, 8:16 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    pinkparrott
    • 26th Sep 06, 8:16 PM
    • 26th Sep 06, 8:16 PM
    Hi I am just about to buy a slow cooker, just wondered if i am making chicken casseroles / tagines/ curries etc is it better to use breasts or other cuts like thighs?
    As my neighbour said the thights on the bone have a better flavour and are cheaper.
    any opinions
    • tiff
    • By tiff 26th Sep 06, 8:23 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 26th Sep 06, 8:23 PM
    • 26th Sep 06, 8:23 PM
    I always used to use chicken breasts but started using chicken thighs recently. Cant really tell much difference except the meat falls off the bone in the slow cooker so you just have to fish the bones out.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 27th Sep 06, 3:20 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    When I was working all the hours of the day that god invented, and a few more he'd never heard of, I was one of very few people in the world who had an account at a local Indian restaurant. They were firm believers that meat cooked on the bone is better. It does seem more flavoursome and succulent to me.

Honest
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
    • skintchick
    • By skintchick 3rd Oct 06, 10:08 PM
    • 14,668 Posts
    • 23,339 Thanks
    skintchick
    Quick q on SC chicken stock
    Carcass and water with herbs etc (inc the juices I collected fromt eh roasting pan) went into SC about 10pm on low. will overnight be enough to make stock or does it need longer??

I can;t put it on in the day tomorrow cos I am out of the house for 12 hours and that's a bit long to leave it unattended I feel. Will stick it in fridge until I get home.
    DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007
    married 21 6 08 Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014!
  • Lillibet
    Overnight should be fine
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 4th Oct 06, 7:45 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Hi, skintchick

I've added your question onto our "quick questions" thread, and yes, overnight will be fine
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • CoD
    Hi I am just about to buy a slow cooker, just wondered if i am making chicken casseroles / tagines/ curries etc is it better to use breasts or other cuts like thighs?
    As my neighbour said the thights on the bone have a better flavour and are cheaper.
    any opinions
    by pinkparrott
    I'd use thighs or portions, you do have to fish the bones out but the meat is much cheaper, there is much more flavour and its just nicer. you'll also get every little bit of chicken off the bone.
  • TNG
    I have one too

by PONDSAVER
    Being a newbie, and not well versed in matters SC, i just stuck my lamb joint in with no water the other week - turned out fine. the juices from the meat kept it from drying.

HTH
    There's a real buzz about the neighbourhood
  • CoD
    Carcass and water with herbs etc (inc the juices I collected fromt eh roasting pan) went into SC about 10pm on low. will overnight be enough to make stock or does it need longer??

I can;t put it on in the day tomorrow cos I am out of the house for 12 hours and that's a bit long to leave it unattended I feel. Will stick it in fridge until I get home.
    by skintchick
    you could get a timer plug to turn it off so it would sit hot, or to turn it on after a few hours (not if you've browned any of the meat)
    • EagerLearner
    • By EagerLearner 4th Oct 06, 12:21 PM
    • 4,972 Posts
    • 7,922 Thanks
    EagerLearner
    Hi - what brand of 3.5litre slow cooker should I get?
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting
    YNAB lover
    • dronid
    • By dronid 4th Oct 06, 12:54 PM
    • 581 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    dronid
    you could get a timer plug to turn it off so it would sit hot, or to turn it on after a few hours (not if you've browned any of the meat)
    by CoD
    I would really recommend not doing this! The slow cooker ceramic casserole cools down too slowly so the food ends up sitting around warm Ė perfect for food poisoning bacteria! Always, once youíve cooked the food, transfer it as soon as possible to another container if you want to keep/freeze it. Likewise you shouldnít load the food into it and put it on a timer to start.

Itís very difficult to really overcook with the slow cooker and Iíve left it on for 13-14 hours before. Overnight is usually fine. I normally do stock this way.

Also Iíd also suggest always using the cheapest cuts of meat in the slow cooker Ė itís what it was really made for. They always come out at least as tender as much more expensive cuts and have bags more flavour!

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

Current debt £7000 - loan. And a £4000 pound overdraft. That didn't work, did it?
    • salthepal
    • By salthepal 4th Oct 06, 1:10 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    salthepal
    Being a newbie, and not well versed in matters SC, i just stuck my lamb joint in with no water the other week - turned out fine. the juices from the meat kept it from drying.

HTH
    by TNG
    Did the lamb turn out a bit like the Greek Kleftico - meat very tender, moist and falling off the bone.
    I tend to cook this quite often in the oven on a very low heat but it would be easier to use a SC if it works well.

Sally
  • liz..
    Got a turkey leg cheap today, any ideas on recipes please?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,205Posts Today

7,229Users online

Martin's Twitter