Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CathT
    • By CathT 2nd Sep 10, 10:22 AM
    • 5,999Posts
    • 41,844Thanks
    CathT
    CT's attempt at being mortgage free
    • 2nd Sep 10, 10:22 AM
    CT's attempt at being mortgage free 2nd Sep 10 at 10:22 AM
    Hi all,

Originally came across this forum and had the idea of OP in the short term while interest rates so low but have been so inspired to make being MF a realistic goal.
    Initially was inspired by Financial Bliss's diary and then read many others taking in lots of tips and posting the occasional comment.

So, a bit about me. Live with DH and DD (aged 2) with outstanding mortgage of just over 119,000 with about 19.5 years left on the term. We are young ish! and would hope to be MF by time i'm 40 (DH 45) so pretty much a 10 year ish plan.

We have a fair income (about 40k joint) but have been used to living on a lot less so am hoping to direct disposable income at mortgage)

Thanks for reading so far and I hope you will join me on my journey to keep me motivated!!
    Last edited by CathT; 20-12-2011 at 12:49 PM.
    April 2019 - part 1 - £69,838 part 2 - £43,960
    Total - £113,798 103 months to go!
Page 251
    • CathT
    • By CathT 11th Apr 19, 9:17 PM
    • 5,999 Posts
    • 41,844 Thanks
    CathT
    Had a very productive morning today, a repeat would be welcome in the morning! Also managed to squeeze in a home weights workout after work, it's easy enough to do shoulders at home so hoping this will become a regular habit as an extra gym session currently isn't!

Small top up shop of £3.72 and £30 fuel so have been able to do some more stoozing. Realistically I think I can only stretch this out until Monday but that also means payday is only a week away.

Still no Tilly tidies though
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 12th Apr 19, 6:51 AM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 18,214 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Great work Cath even without opportunities for TT. Can I ask is the 103 months for the main mortgage or for both? Just asking as ours is very similar to yours albeit the main one is a bit higher but kind of like the idea of massively overpaying one to be rid and let the smaller one run in the background as that repayment is very doeable and if we did get to overpay that anything would make a massive difference

Liking your gym work too, I'm back running, not been to the gym in too long must get back on it when back from hols. Hoping for lots of runs and steps there though
    • Lois_E
    • By Lois_E 14th Apr 19, 9:05 AM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 15,079 Thanks
    Lois_E
    Hi Cath
    Thrilled to see my spreadsheet still in use! Happy to help with any problems you are having with it.
    Starting again 13/4/19
    Home loan 1: £21,102.50 Home loan 2: £7,698.99
    Total owed: £28,801.49
    • CathT
    • By CathT 14th Apr 19, 12:38 PM
    • 5,999 Posts
    • 41,844 Thanks
    CathT
    Hi PF, sounds like our balances/terms/goals sound similar. The remaining term is just for the original mortgage. The original end date when we bought the house was 2030 and over the years for various reasons we haven't been able to overpay and even extended the term back to original 25 years when I went back to uni. However we continued to overpay at a rate to keep us on our original end date. I had a quick look at our spreadsheet and even if we paid off the first one in December 2027 by making no more overpayments on it, we would still owe £30k on the second part (without overpayments). We've only 0.44% difference in interest rate between the two mortgages aswell. Will have to pop over to your diary and see where you're up to.

Hey Lois, good to see you back. I'd mentioned you on here the other day actually.

Had a productive weekend so far. Gym yesterday and today, have done a very small HIIT session when I got back. Am looking to maintain my weight loss now but managed to lose a tiny amount this week. I am eating so much but think my metabolism is on fire as was ravenous one day. Thankfully that's settled now.

House lovely and clean and tidy, I've a candle burning and am home alone. Dh has done an overtime shift, the food shop and now taken the children to a party. I'm roasting a chicken to do wraps for dinner as I don't think they'll want much afterwards.

Also trying to get the garden a little more preloaded for warmer weather. Did debate cutting the grass but it's freezing so that can wait until the sun comes out and the wind chill drops. Have stripped the covers off the garden furniture to wash them (we had no storage to bring them in over the winter and despite the cover they have got pretty dirty). Popped them on a long wash so crossing my fingers they come out looking okay.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 15th Apr 19, 5:43 AM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 18,214 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Thanks Cath, that's really helpful. We're just beginning to build so have some way to go until we're in a position to overpay (as I don't want to overpay until it's done) but that's the plan although we're currently overpaying our BTL and just going to increase that, so we have that to figure too in the equation but trying not to muddy the two.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 15th Apr 19, 9:47 PM
    • 5,999 Posts
    • 41,844 Thanks
    CathT
    It's just awful seeing the events in Paris this evening

Glad it didn't just make sense in my head PF, sounds sensible for you to keep some cash flow in case contingency money is needed.

Well the hunger kicked in after my workout (took myself off to bed at 9pm!) have been on a rest day today and felt like I ate my final calories for the sake of it (but I know it's necessary).

Quickly checked accounts and we've finally gone overdrawn. Bit annoying as there's a credit going in tomorrow but we have done well as I did leave us pretty short this month. Will see what the balances are like in the morning as just made another cc payment and see if a shuffle will keep the £1 daily overdraft charge at bay.

Cheap meals today, curry using the chicken I roasted yesterday (that my mum got us from M&S), stir fry for me which was leftovers from yesterday. Have enough curry for dinner tomorrow and I shouldn't need much as have a nice lunch planned.

Covers for the garden furniture have washed surprisingly well although we do appear to have lost a couple of zips. It's nothing safety pins won't fix and they're stain free which is the main thing. Rain forecast tomorrow so will put them back out on Wednesday as good weather is forecast.

Right, best get to bed as hoping to do a weights workout before work. It seems very doable in my head but requires less 'snoozing' than usual in the morning
    • CathT
    • By CathT 15th Apr 19, 9:51 PM
    • 5,999 Posts
    • 41,844 Thanks
    CathT
    April spends

Supermarket £103.22
    Fuel £91.01
    • CathT
    • By CathT 17th Apr 19, 6:18 AM
    • 5,999 Posts
    • 41,844 Thanks
    CathT
    Mid month is so dull without overpayments. Have realised update needed on the MFiT thread too so will get that sent through. I do have a credit in tcb but as I'm still unsure which mortgage to send it to I won't request it just yet.

Still working our way through leftovers so no food spends the last couple of days. We have done really well with the food budget this month which is an improvement on previous months. I just think we have been more disciplined but if it works, it works.

Last working day of the week for me and weather is starting to brighten up. Let's hope we're in for a lovely long weekend of sunshine.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 17th Apr 19, 7:37 PM
    • 5,999 Posts
    • 41,844 Thanks
    CathT
    Just a quick post.

I've had a productive day in work and dh has had a productive day at home. I came home to see downstairs hoovered, hedging cut in back garden, cushion covers back on cushions and all furniture out and he'd also cut the grass. He also took the children to the park twice! That's quite a standard to live up to for me tomorrow where I'm just hoping to have gone to the gym with the children and then do a small food shop before he finishes work at 12!

April spends

Food £106.77
    Fuel £91.01
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 17th Apr 19, 8:19 PM
    • 8,630 Posts
    • 66,222 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Hopefully he's tired them out enough for them to be grateful for a less active day tomorrow...?!
    NST April Spring #7; NSD 2/12; Ex 12/16; craft (12); remove 5 bagfuls (14)

Mortgage £16,231 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
    • CathT
    • By CathT 18th Apr 19, 9:56 PM
    • 5,999 Posts
    • 41,844 Thanks
    CathT
    They're pretty high maintenance Apple and the bickering hit a peak today! However we managed a good shop and the gym together (they've made some changes to the family area which they both enjoyed. I managed 45 minutes of weights even though the layout doesn't really suit my workout and it doesn't have a machine I like. I've taken some more progress pictures today to keep an eye on muscle definition.
    Dh took the children and two friends to a local park and national trust property whilst I got organised for our weekend away.

Thought I'd pamper myself a little this evening, hairwash, fake tan on milk bottle legs and painted my nails. Couldn't even do that in peace, dd was brushing my hair and ds painting my toenails!

Apparently today was a day off??

I still haven't paid anything off the mortgage this month :rofl
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 19th Apr 19, 8:55 AM
    • 6,690 Posts
    • 46,449 Thanks
    newgirly
    Oh dear I hope the nails turned out ok, donít let them fake tan your legs whatever you do
    MFW 21

£75,073.14 left, target £10k/ £3926k in 2019
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

30Posts Today

1,532Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin