Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CathT
    • By CathT 2nd Sep 10, 11:22 AM
    • 5,967Posts
    • 41,636Thanks
    CathT
    CT's attempt at being mortgage free
    • 2nd Sep 10, 11:22 AM
    CT's attempt at being mortgage free 2nd Sep 10 at 11:22 AM
    Hi all,

Originally came across this forum and had the idea of OP in the short term while interest rates so low but have been so inspired to make being MF a realistic goal.
    Initially was inspired by Financial Bliss's diary and then read many others taking in lots of tips and posting the occasional comment.

So, a bit about me. Live with DH and DD (aged 2) with outstanding mortgage of just over 119,000 with about 19.5 years left on the term. We are young ish! and would hope to be MF by time i'm 40 (DH 45) so pretty much a 10 year ish plan.

We have a fair income (about 40k joint) but have been used to living on a lot less so am hoping to direct disposable income at mortgage)

Thanks for reading so far and I hope you will join me on my journey to keep me motivated!!
    Last edited by CathT; 20-12-2011 at 1:49 PM.
    March 2019 - part 1 - £70,912 part 2 - £44,104
    Total - £115,016 105 months to go!
Page 246
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 12th Jan 19, 2:10 PM
    • 2,928 Posts
    • 14,731 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    The first proper week of the New Year is done. Energy levels will steadily rise now through January, especially when the light starts creeping in in the morning. I am basking in a few hours of no kids in the house... so I'm determined to snooze!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2025...
    48 out of 120 Payments - Total Reduction: £51,500.83
    Current Balance: £84,499.28
    MFiT-T5 #8 - 0% of £41,000
    • CathT
    • By CathT 13th Jan 19, 8:59 PM
    • 5,967 Posts
    • 41,636 Thanks
    CathT
    I had a quick nap Jimmy, it's becoming a habit. Managed to get though today without a snooze but I didn't get up uni till 9am. Smashed the gym again and enjoyed treats in moderation today. Had no alcohol for Ofer 3 weeks, can't say it's doing anything for my energy levels though.

Had to brave the supermarket today, it was shockingly busy and I was struggling to find anything as had to go to a different branch as ours being refurbished. Accidentally deleted my shopping list off my phone and had to go back to Mr S to get everything else off my list. Tried to meal plan so we can try and survive this week on the cash we have which will just about cover milk,bread and fruit top ups. If we can do this we will have shaved £100 off our budget which can be put to better use.

Rounded that account down to make a £2.63 overpayment as tilly tidies been a bit slow.

Had a lovely afternoon with the children after getting them off technology and played old fashioned games. Ds tells me that was his favourite part of the day so I'm hoping the message is getting through to them.

January spends
    Supermarket - £138.42
    Fuel £48
    • CathT
    • By CathT 14th Jan 19, 10:25 PM
    • 5,967 Posts
    • 41,636 Thanks
    CathT
    Very quick uneventful update from me. Managed a nsd, no reason we can't achieve the same tomorrow. I've done over 15k steps (managed almost 8k by 8:30am which I think was key) and hit calories and macros. Y0ugov is quiet at the moment but a survey popped up so 50 points earned on there.

House tidy, just one load of washing to put away tomorrow but daily activity is helping keep on top of things. I don't have time to spend most of a weekend day cleaning and would much rather do it gradually throughout the week.

Watched a film with ds after work today. We sometimes fall into the trap of 'living for the weekend' and just trying to get through the week. Dh is working particularly rubbish hours at the moment and we literally see each other for 20 minutes a day. Hoping these awful hours come to an end soon.

Well this ended up being a fairly long post considering I had nothing to report!
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 15th Jan 19, 8:00 AM
    • 2,622 Posts
    • 17,921 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Very quick uneventful update from me. Managed a nsd, no reason we can't achieve the same tomorrow. I've done over 15k steps (managed almost 8k by 8:30am which I think was key) and hit calories and macros. Y0ugov is quiet at the moment but a survey popped up so 50 points earned on there.

House tidy, just one load of washing to put away tomorrow but daily activity is helping keep on top of things. I don't have time to spend most of a weekend day cleaning and would much rather do it gradually throughout the week.

Watched a film with ds after work today. We sometimes fall into the trap of 'living for the weekend' and just trying to get through the week. Dh is working particularly rubbish hours at the moment and we literally see each other for 20 minutes a day. Hoping these awful hours come to an end soon.

Well this ended up being a fairly long post considering I had nothing to report!
    Originally posted by CathT
    Wow! 8k steps by 8.30. I've been up since 6.30 and despite only sitting down for 2 minutes for some porridge I've only managed 394. Do you go out for a walk first thing?
    • CathT
    • By CathT 16th Jan 19, 7:44 AM
    • 5,967 Posts
    • 41,636 Thanks
    CathT
    It surprises you doesn't it PF when you feel you've been really active but your tracker says otherwise. I do a lot of walking/jogging on the spot. Don't get the steps done much faster on the treadmill and this is an easy way of getting them done in the morning. I've got an inactive job so have to try and make the most of non-work time.

We have had 2 NSD's, should manage today without a food top up shop but will have football fees £2 later. Had £1.75 payable on tcb this morning so have already overpaid that. It's definitely a quiet time of the month money wise for us, all will change next week.

Plan for next few days is no un-necessary spending and to really consider if we actually need something or could manage with what we already have. Tonight's dinner is leftovers for me and a curry for dh and the children with chicken out of the freezer. May have to get a little more creative over the next few days. As a family we're no longer eating pork (health conscious decision, saw a scary (to me) infographic so have had to make changes to lunches but children adjusting well and chicken sausages for the odd meal are a hit with them.

Right, need to blast some more steps out!
    • CathT
    • By CathT 19th Jan 19, 7:38 AM
    • 5,967 Posts
    • 41,636 Thanks
    CathT
    Good morning, quick post before I get ready for the gym. Dd has an away football much somewhere rural and I don't want ds going to watch as it's so wet and cold. Doubt he'll want to come to the gym and taking him means being in the family area which is hugely busy on Saturdays in january. Aim is to be in the gym for 8am and have the ladies' gym to myself!

Woken with a headache, probably hormonal but have a feeling it will linger as also had one yesterday. Any herbal recommedations? At least it kept me off the wine I was slightly tempted to drink last night though.

Dh did a top up shop yesterday which has really eaten into our remaining spends but the positive is...'there are remaining spends' I was just getting hopeful for lots of food/fuel money leftover to save/overpay.

Payday for me next week and dh the following week. His will be a good one. We've got c/tax free months coming up but also need to offset that large water rates bill so will be some sums.

I think dh and I need to do a financial review together to ensure our money is working the hardest it can for us. I know we should be investing more into pensions but also worry that they are linked to retirement age so assume dh won't be able to access his until 58?

Planning a series of NSD's now to take us up until Tuesday (surely it's not that hard to achieve 3 in a row?). We've not major expenses to start off this months pay so should be more flexible with our spends thank last month where we had to pay over £400 insurance renewal. Even after all my years in here this is still an area I fail to prepare for!

Right, off to get ready for the gym!

January spends
    Supermarket £185.60
    Fuel £48
    • CathT
    • By CathT 20th Jan 19, 9:10 AM
    • 5,967 Posts
    • 41,636 Thanks
    CathT
    Well we didn't even manage a nsd yesterday as I popped to the supermarket after the gym. Ds 'struggling' without ham despite me buying chicken/quorn etc. So I scoured the shelves in Mr S and bought some naked ham. I'm still worried about the level of toxins in pork meat but at least there are no nasties added. Think I've spent too much time watching certai. Netfl1x documentaries.

Am supposed to be going to the gym this morning, dh at work so planning on taking children aswell. However, legs are really hurting from yesterday so be best to rest them and I could probably get away with upper body workout at home so think that will be the plan.

Have checked accounts ready for final 2 days before paydays. Would like to overpay the remaining bank balance (having overpayment withdrawals) as have some cash that would buy emergency bread and milk if needed tomorrow.

Had such a simple afternoon at home yesterday which made me realise even more how lucky we are to have our lovely home and each other and we don't need flash spending to be happy. Dh often comments he'd like more disposable cash but think he's realising simplest things can bring the most happiness.

Today's plan is changing beds/homework and getting the children off technology! Dh will make a soup later which will supply my lunch for a few days.
    Will meal plan so we don't need a food shop at the very beginning of the budget reset which always helps our monthly spends.
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 20th Jan 19, 12:59 PM
    • 6,852 Posts
    • 44,486 Thanks
    Pooky
    I'd love more disposable cash but then if I really think about it, I've no idea what I'd spend it on - it would just get frittered.

I have everything I need, it's just the spendy elves get their "want" hats on now and then.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 20th Jan 19, 2:05 PM
    • 5,967 Posts
    • 41,636 Thanks
    CathT
    That's us pooky, I asked dh what we would have actually done differently throughout the day. We both agreed nothing. Would lunch out or new clothes have made us happier? Definitely not!

Soup made and I'm debating making a chick pea and lentil and sweet potato curry. New challenge is to see how many days after payday we can reach without needed a decent top up shop!
    • CathT
    • By CathT 21st Jan 19, 9:40 PM
    • 5,967 Posts
    • 41,636 Thanks
    CathT
    Good evening all! Today absolutely flew which was a bonus to the start of the working week. Dh dd a top up shop and I've batch cooked some meals for me which should be super filling and frugal. Just made a mix of lentils, chick peas, passata and veg. Would have been vegan but my one stock cube contains milk.

Made a £5.20 overpayment which was the dregs of the account plus 10p from tcb, I won a grand total of 30p in their latest giveaway however it has gone to the mortgage so carefully invested. Spreadsheet updated and around £330 needed to knock off an extra month which doesn't seem such a scary figure. DH has always been on board to an extent with mortgage freedom but he keeps mentioning lately how life could be when we're mortgage free. Maybe he will start giving me his receipt scanning payouts???

January spends
    Supermarket £202.54
    Fuel £79
    • CathT
    • By CathT 22nd Jan 19, 9:19 PM
    • 5,967 Posts
    • 41,636 Thanks
    CathT
    Just a quick update from me. Payday tomorrow so some early money shuffling as child benefit landed in account today. Have divided extras in my wage between mortgage and holiday balance so almost £70 paid off each of those. Got up to date with credit card stopping (try and use it for food spends and pay straight off to help with interest accrual). Once wages land tomorrow will pay another £300 off the holiday. Hopefully the rest of the month can be low spend so we can maximise our disposable spends. Supermarket bill is big for us this month so definitely want to look at this area as I really don't know how we've spent as much as we have. We had a big supply of chicken in the freezer which has made a lot of curries and we mostly cook from scratch. My batch cooking was a success so will make another one at the weekend for some cheap meals for me.

Had a dusting of a sleet/snow/hail mix today which looks like it is going to freeze overnight. At this point I'm really starting to regret not putting the bin/recycling out ready for the morning!

Almost on my 15k steps (200 to go which I'll definitely hit before bed) so am going to have a herbal tea and read for a bit before bed. Definitely need lights out by 10:30 tonight as I stay up late all week and crash on a Friday night which isn't great!

January spends
    Supermarket £202.54
    Fuel £109
    • CathT
    • By CathT 23rd Jan 19, 9:29 PM
    • 5,967 Posts
    • 41,636 Thanks
    CathT
    Another day closer to mortgage freedom. Have overpaid our usual £300 monthly OP plus two tilly tidies of 41p and 19p (check account twice a day) and £2 saved on football subscriptions due to a frozen pitch. We have a regular overpayment of £300 but have found an additional £139.35 so far this month which keeps us on target for an extra £150 a month.

Feel like I am coming down with another cold and am determined to stop it in its tracks. Am eating healthily so will add in some extra supplements the next few days in an attempt to keep it at bay.

The aim for the rest of the month is minimal supermarket spends and zero fuel spends. Small top-up shop needed tomorrow but won't deviate from the list. Having mini goals and targets in mind is definitely helping with our long term goals on our MF journey, however the realisation that this mortgage will be gone in 9 years or less is really starting to get quite exciting!
    • chumpy45
    • By chumpy45 23rd Jan 19, 10:46 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 1,727 Thanks
    chumpy45
    Super inspiring posts. You are really helping get me motivated again both money wise and healthy living wise. Off to dig out my step counter .......
    Starting Mortgage 01.08.08 £171,209.24. Mortgage as at 01.09.15 - £54,780.04; 01.11.15 £49,577.04;01.03.16 £45,799.32; 01.08.16 £42,418.93; 01.10.16 £40,119.5 01.02.17 £36,584.00; 01.04.17 £34,694.71 09.06.17 £32,828.89 MFW Target date Sept 2017; :) 06.08.18 £24,769.47 01.11.18 £23,825.00 22.01.19 £21,990.00 06.02.19 £21,200 03.03.19 £19,862.93
    • CathT
    • By CathT 24th Jan 19, 9:33 PM
    • 5,967 Posts
    • 41,636 Thanks
    CathT
    Ah thanks Chumpy, it definitely helps my emotional well-being aswell.

Slow day on the mortgage free journey today, just under £40 food shop and a 10p Tilly tidy to the mortgage!

Cold progressing so didn't make it to the gym however I have hit all mfp and step goals. One day closer to my fitness goals!

January spends
    Supermarket £243.37
    Fuel £109
    • CathT
    • By CathT 26th Jan 19, 8:42 AM
    • 5,967 Posts
    • 41,636 Thanks
    CathT
    Cold symptoms seem to be on their way out, certainly don't feel rough with it now which is great. Just having another coffee and pre-workout banana before hitting the gym this morning. Might increase the weight I lift on dreaded leg extensions, not that I'm one to constantly push myself!!

Had a nice surprise when I checked tcb this morning to see £22 payable so have already paid that off the mortgage. Dh gets paid Wednesday so will send another overpayment then. Also paid £300 off our holiday balance as have a final payment and deposit remainder due this month! We really are enjoying going away twice a year though whilst we can get away with it.

50p survey on y0ugov yesterday and have been doing some daily clicks on tcb but reluctant to carry on until they change from pending. It only takes a few minutes though and is worth a few pounds a week.

Will do a food shop after the gym but it's mainly so I can batch cook high protein/meat free meals for me. Our food spends have crept up this month so savings needed where we can.

No other real plans for the weekend apart from gym again tomorrow. I bought dh a 100 movies print and framed it for Christmas, he's scratched off all the movies he's seen and it actually looks really good so going to put it up in the snug. Beds stripped and bedding in the washing machine with another load already drying. We like to get an early start at the weekends so am hoping the rest of it will be a lovely mix of relaxation and productivity.

Hopefully catch up on some diaries later too!
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 26th Jan 19, 9:06 AM
    • 6,661 Posts
    • 46,321 Thanks
    newgirly
    We have one of those movie posters too cath - more realistic for us than the “places you have travelled to” ones

Glad you are feeling better, have a great weekend
    MFW 21

£79,000 left, target £16k in 2019
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 27th Jan 19, 9:42 AM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 7,437 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Fingers crossed the lurgy is gone very soon.

I’m going to try a meat free chickpea and peach curry tomorrow. We’ve had a few nice meat free dishes but the last mushroom pasta one was terrible so I hope this turns out ok!

Any chance of sharing your carpet cleaning tips please? Mine could definitely do with a bit of attention.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 27th Jan 19, 9:14 PM
    • 5,967 Posts
    • 41,636 Thanks
    CathT
    Oh that sounds good ELE, had another portion of my veggie bean dish today and it was delicious. I'll eat anything with sweet potato in it though. Am feeling much better thank you, would say am germ free now. Another trip to the gym today, did a 5 minute warm-up run - 40 mins of weights and then another 20 minute run to get my steps in. Smashed 15k steps again today

I weigh daily but my weekly average fat loss this week is 2lb which I am over the moon with and I am super motivated at the moment. Am hoping lighter evenings which make it easier to commit to the gym after a full day at work.

Overpaid another £8.35 today which was money I ended up not spending so thought I would put it to good use. On top of our standard £300 monthly OP we have overpaid an extra £169.80.

ELE, the carpet cleaning consisted of a bowl, bit of washing powder and conditioner and a scrubbing brush. T|hankfully it wasn't a huge room to do but it definitely made a difference as lifted the pile and cleaned.

NSD day today with hopefully another one tomorrow then we will be almost at another payday. Am feeling quite positive about the week ahead, we have stopped 'living for the weekend' and trying to make the most of our time m-f. The children do comment every week though they would prefer to have at least a 3 day weekend!

Right, time for a herbal tea and my book

January spends

Supermarket £251.07
    Fuel £109
    Last edited by CathT; 29-01-2019 at 10:54 PM.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 28th Jan 19, 9:40 PM
    • 5,967 Posts
    • 41,636 Thanks
    CathT
    Just a quick post as meant to be finishing off watching a series on n3tflix. Have been watching it with dh but as he's working so much we're barely seeing each other so we're having to watch it separately!

Ended up doing a £10 food top up shop but also made a 91p tilly tidy so feel like we have made some progress. Planning on the gym tomorrow after work so hopefully the snow will hit once I'm back as a slippy car park would be enough to stop me going and I'm determined to smash every single day to get me to goal. Surely being strong, toned, nourished and mortgage free isn't that much to wish for???
    Last edited by CathT; 29-01-2019 at 10:56 PM.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 29th Jan 19, 11:18 PM
    • 5,967 Posts
    • 41,636 Thanks
    CathT
    Well, I made it to the gym and smashed it! 15k steps hit again today.

Money wise, dh gets paid tomorrow so after seeing his payslip have made some extra payments. Extra £185 to holiday and tomorrow will send £185 to savings and £185 to mortgage. Have amended spreadsheet in advance of tomorrow's payments and this month we have managed to knock off almost a month! Around £55 will take us to Feb 2028
    BG@s rewards club has resulted in a £10 Mr S voucher heading our way. Will use towards a shop and then overpay equivalent from account. No major spends today, £2.95 in Mr S and then £3.99 on childrens p@racetamol as both children have cold symptoms. I think there must be some super bugs around this year as the children have had maybe one minor cold each in the past and I've already felt rough twice this year. Roll on Spring, I bought some daffodils for the kitchen yesterday which may have been a little optimistic.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

918Users online

Martin's Twitter