Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CathT
    • By CathT 2nd Sep 10, 11:22 AM
    • 5,874Posts
    • 41,079Thanks
    CathT
    CT's attempt at being mortgage free
    • 2nd Sep 10, 11:22 AM
    CT's attempt at being mortgage free 2nd Sep 10 at 11:22 AM
    Hi all,

Originally came across this forum and had the idea of OP in the short term while interest rates so low but have been so inspired to make being MF a realistic goal.
    Initially was inspired by Financial Bliss's diary and then read many others taking in lots of tips and posting the occasional comment.

So, a bit about me. Live with DH and DD (aged 2) with outstanding mortgage of just over 119,000 with about 19.5 years left on the term. We are young ish! and would hope to be MF by time i'm 40 (DH 45) so pretty much a 10 year ish plan.

We have a fair income (about 40k joint) but have been used to living on a lot less so am hoping to direct disposable income at mortgage)

Thanks for reading so far and I hope you will join me on my journey to keep me motivated!!
    Last edited by CathT; 20-12-2011 at 1:49 PM.
    Jan 2019 - part 1 - 73,109 part 2 - 44,433
    Total - 117,542 109 months to go!
Page 246
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 12th Jan 19, 2:10 PM
    • 2,879 Posts
    • 14,442 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    The first proper week of the New Year is done. Energy levels will steadily rise now through January, especially when the light starts creeping in in the morning. I am basking in a few hours of no kids in the house... so I'm determined to snooze!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2025...
    46 out of 120 Payments - Total Reduction: 49,398.48
    Current Balance: 86,601.52
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 80.74% of 41,000
    • CathT
    • By CathT 13th Jan 19, 8:59 PM
    • 5,874 Posts
    • 41,079 Thanks
    CathT
    I had a quick nap Jimmy, it's becoming a habit. Managed to get though today without a snooze but I didn't get up uni till 9am. Smashed the gym again and enjoyed treats in moderation today. Had no alcohol for Ofer 3 weeks, can't say it's doing anything for my energy levels though.

Had to brave the supermarket today, it was shockingly busy and I was struggling to find anything as had to go to a different branch as ours being refurbished. Accidentally deleted my shopping list off my phone and had to go back to Mr S to get everything else off my list. Tried to meal plan so we can try and survive this week on the cash we have which will just about cover milk,bread and fruit top ups. If we can do this we will have shaved 100 off our budget which can be put to better use.

Rounded that account down to make a 2.63 overpayment as tilly tidies been a bit slow.

Had a lovely afternoon with the children after getting them off technology and played old fashioned games. Ds tells me that was his favourite part of the day so I'm hoping the message is getting through to them.

January spends
    Supermarket - 138.42
    Fuel 48
    • CathT
    • By CathT 14th Jan 19, 10:25 PM
    • 5,874 Posts
    • 41,079 Thanks
    CathT
    Very quick uneventful update from me. Managed a nsd, no reason we can't achieve the same tomorrow. I've done over 15k steps (managed almost 8k by 8:30am which I think was key) and hit calories and macros. Y0ugov is quiet at the moment but a survey popped up so 50 points earned on there.

House tidy, just one load of washing to put away tomorrow but daily activity is helping keep on top of things. I don't have time to spend most of a weekend day cleaning and would much rather do it gradually throughout the week.

Watched a film with ds after work today. We sometimes fall into the trap of 'living for the weekend' and just trying to get through the week. Dh is working particularly rubbish hours at the moment and we literally see each other for 20 minutes a day. Hoping these awful hours come to an end soon.

Well this ended up being a fairly long post considering I had nothing to report!
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 15th Jan 19, 8:00 AM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 17,096 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Very quick uneventful update from me. Managed a nsd, no reason we can't achieve the same tomorrow. I've done over 15k steps (managed almost 8k by 8:30am which I think was key) and hit calories and macros. Y0ugov is quiet at the moment but a survey popped up so 50 points earned on there.

House tidy, just one load of washing to put away tomorrow but daily activity is helping keep on top of things. I don't have time to spend most of a weekend day cleaning and would much rather do it gradually throughout the week.

Watched a film with ds after work today. We sometimes fall into the trap of 'living for the weekend' and just trying to get through the week. Dh is working particularly rubbish hours at the moment and we literally see each other for 20 minutes a day. Hoping these awful hours come to an end soon.

Well this ended up being a fairly long post considering I had nothing to report!
    Originally posted by CathT
    Wow! 8k steps by 8.30. I've been up since 6.30 and despite only sitting down for 2 minutes for some porridge I've only managed 394. Do you go out for a walk first thing?
    • CathT
    • By CathT 16th Jan 19, 7:44 AM
    • 5,874 Posts
    • 41,079 Thanks
    CathT
    It surprises you doesn't it PF when you feel you've been really active but your tracker says otherwise. I do a lot of walking/jogging on the spot. Don't get the steps done much faster on the treadmill and this is an easy way of getting them done in the morning. I've got an inactive job so have to try and make the most of non-work time.

We have had 2 NSD's, should manage today without a food top up shop but will have football fees 2 later. Had 1.75 payable on tcb this morning so have already overpaid that. It's definitely a quiet time of the month money wise for us, all will change next week.

Plan for next few days is no un-necessary spending and to really consider if we actually need something or could manage with what we already have. Tonight's dinner is leftovers for me and a curry for dh and the children with chicken out of the freezer. May have to get a little more creative over the next few days. As a family we're no longer eating pork (health conscious decision, saw a scary (to me) infographic so have had to make changes to lunches but children adjusting well and chicken sausages for the odd meal are a hit with them.

Right, need to blast some more steps out!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,121Posts Today

8,646Users online

Martin's Twitter