Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CathT
    • By CathT 2nd Sep 10, 11:22 AM
    • 5,586Posts
    • 38,884Thanks
    CathT
    CT's attempt at being mortgage free
    • 2nd Sep 10, 11:22 AM
    CT's attempt at being mortgage free 2nd Sep 10 at 11:22 AM
    Hi all,

Originally came across this forum and had the idea of OP in the short term while interest rates so low but have been so inspired to make being MF a realistic goal.
    Initially was inspired by Financial Bliss's diary and then read many others taking in lots of tips and posting the occasional comment.

So, a bit about me. Live with DH and DD (aged 2) with outstanding mortgage of just over 119,000 with about 19.5 years left on the term. We are young ish! and would hope to be MF by time i'm 40 (DH 45) so pretty much a 10 year ish plan.

We have a fair income (about 40k joint) but have been used to living on a lot less so am hoping to direct disposable income at mortgage)

Thanks for reading so far and I hope you will join me on my journey to keep me motivated!!
    Last edited by CathT; 20-12-2011 at 1:49 PM.
    June 2018 -
    part 1 - £77,571
    part 2 - £45,272
    Total - £122,843
Page 219
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 7th Jan 18, 9:15 AM
    • 6,324 Posts
    • 43,594 Thanks
    newgirly
    Morning cath, one of the guys at work went to Rome last year for three nights and said he got lots of tips from "that Martin Lewis off the telly's website" so somewhere here is a section on being mse in Rome , my guess is the main site
    MFW 21
    Target for 2018 £40k/£13,632 paid so far

Mortgage £36,319 4yrs left. Total owed £48,358 plan to clear in 14 months
    • CathT
    • By CathT 7th Jan 18, 9:57 AM
    • 5,586 Posts
    • 38,884 Thanks
    CathT
    Haha Alex, it would definitely help! We had a lovely evening without wine, it really is just a habit. I will miss Peaky Blinders once we get to the end though!

Thank newgirly, I'll have a look. Someone has mentioned a Rome card but as we're only there a short time I don't know if we would maximise its use.

Dh has just taken the children to football (even though he's just got back from having to go into work) so I'm going to mop the floors and carry on with my decluttering. 25 items to find today and I might need a plan for the rest of the week as won't be as easy to do around a full day in work. I do also plan to finish my book today to strike a bit of balance.

Have a lovely Sunday, remember...

'A Sunday well spent brings a week of content'
    June 2018 -
    part 1 - £77,571
    part 2 - £45,272
    Total - £122,843
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 7th Jan 18, 6:17 PM
    • 6,085 Posts
    • 32,212 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Definitely is just a habit. We watch very little TV but my wife wants to watch Peaky Blinders, someone at work told her about it.

What does Martin Lewis do on TV?

It's a long time since I've been to Rome but there's lots and lots to do. You won't be bored. Worth looking into the Rome card and think about how much you can fit into a day.

Sounds like you're super productive as always.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £7,600
    Mortgage Overpayments £1,750
    • CathT
    • By CathT 7th Jan 18, 9:36 PM
    • 5,586 Posts
    • 38,884 Thanks
    CathT
    It is worth a watch. We've got a couple of episodes left to watch and each one has been excellent.

I definitely need to do more research for Rome, fingers crossed my books arrive tomorrow.

Achieved a bit today whilst managing to relax. De-cluttered another 25 items, finished off building ds lego police station set, upgraded my phone and saved some money on internet and almost finished my book! Dd who has always been a bit of a tomboy went to a pamper birthday party today and came home desperate to paint my toenails with her new blue nail varnish so I am sporting blue toenails! No food spends today and we've also eaten cheaply. Other spends were money in a birthday card and football subs. Dh is planning on taking the children out somewhere tomorrow using his own spends. Last day of the holidays for them and ds is already complaining about going back to school! I'll
    be trying to sort out half term childcare before I know it.
    June 2018 -
    part 1 - £77,571
    part 2 - £45,272
    Total - £122,843
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 7th Jan 18, 9:58 PM
    • 6,324 Posts
    • 43,594 Thanks
    newgirly
    What does Martin Lewis do on TV?

Not sure what programme is on currently but general mse tips
    MFW 21
    Target for 2018 £40k/£13,632 paid so far

Mortgage £36,319 4yrs left. Total owed £48,358 plan to clear in 14 months
    • CathT
    • By CathT 8th Jan 18, 10:20 PM
    • 5,586 Posts
    • 38,884 Thanks
    CathT
    Quick update from me. Dh has had a fairly
    Expensive day off with the children, childcare would have been cheaper but they all had fun. It does feel like they have been off school forever and neither of them seem keen on returning tomorrow! Ds has really turned a corner with his reading over the holidays and seems to have developed into a mature reader before my eyes! It's lovely to see as dd was a much more able reader at this age but his enthusiasm and desire to read is wonderful.

Busy day at work and more decluttering when I got home.
    24 work related items will be making their way to the office tomorrow. I had books at home with the intention of reading them but it's not happening so I'll take them to live in a drawer at work where I also won't get time to read them!

Small food shop done so spends now at 37.12/100 I do wonder if we'll hit our goal!
    Last edited by CathT; 09-01-2018 at 10:41 PM.
    June 2018 -
    part 1 - £77,571
    part 2 - £45,272
    Total - £122,843
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 9th Jan 18, 11:01 AM
    • 785 Posts
    • 4,336 Thanks
    michelle09
    Least they all had a good time.

Wonderful news with DS, enthusiasm for reading is better than any forced teaching, sure he will keep improving. My mother found libraries very useful to keep up with enthusiastically reading children!
    • CathT
    • By CathT 9th Jan 18, 10:54 PM
    • 5,586 Posts
    • 38,884 Thanks
    CathT
    I absolutely agree Michelle. Once they are free reading it doesn't matter how old they were when they finished the 'staged' reading and I am confident he will be a more keen reader than dd. She frustrates me as she is so bright and able but really inconsistent with a desire to read! We have time yet, she is only 9.

NSD for both dh and me. I did pay for piano lessons but that was pre-budgeted and allocated so doesn't count. She hasn't practised much over Christmas but had some pieces 'ticked off' today and her teacher has set her a goal for her prep test in March. There was also £18 leftover in 'piano' account so that has been paid off the cc holiday balance. 25p on y0ugov so that's increasing steadily.

70 items decluttered today (mostly paperwork and work related resources) so I can now have a couple of days off the process if I wish as target was 23. So glad I have done the challenge in reverse to see quicker results and in theory it gets progressively easier. Also having the challenge has made it easier to get rid of stuff. I would like to get some new storage for ds bedroom as also want to decorate it but that would involve an ik3a trip!
    June 2018 -
    part 1 - £77,571
    part 2 - £45,272
    Total - £122,843
    • CathT
    • By CathT 10th Jan 18, 5:41 PM
    • 5,586 Posts
    • 38,884 Thanks
    CathT
    Very quick update from me. Small food shop takes us to 43.88/100 so we are still on target for our goal.

Rome guide books have arrived off 3bay so can start researching our trip now time permitting! Work and our evenings are just crazy at the moment!
    June 2018 -
    part 1 - £77,571
    part 2 - £45,272
    Total - £122,843
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 10th Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 10,206 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Great result on your grocery budget Cath and all that decluttering - well done
    • CathT
    • By CathT 13th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 5,586 Posts
    • 38,884 Thanks
    CathT
    So relieved it!!!8217;s the weekend with no real plans so we can all recharge a little.

Plumber calling back this weekend to finish last bit of tiling and ceiling in bathroom. We!!!8217;ve been overcharged by bathroom company so need to sort out a refund when we take leftover tiles back. Hope they!!!8217;re ok about refunding especially as I had told them previously they had undercharged me by about £400! Any refund will be paid off mortgage/cc.

Food shop yesterday so current spends now at £58.24/100 for January. That £100 challenge is looking very achievable!

Dh and I are trying to commit to eating more healthily (we are both smackers) so at least with both of us on board there will be less biscuits in the house and he may do less baking!

Pleased with our finances at the moment especially as dh payday is 9 days later this month and although they have sent an early one off payment we haven!!!8217;t needed to use it. Fingers crossed we can put this to good use on payday.

Quick healthy living tips for me this weekend is to drink at least 2 litres of water as I easily do this in the week but forget at the weekend and to do more steps.

I also need to get back on the decluttering mission as had got ahead of myself so had a few days off. 19 items today to find and dispose of!
    June 2018 -
    part 1 - £77,571
    part 2 - £45,272
    Total - £122,843
    • CathT
    • By CathT 13th Jan 18, 9:06 AM
    • 5,586 Posts
    • 38,884 Thanks
    CathT
    Can!!!8217;t edit post on phone, we are snackers!!
    June 2018 -
    part 1 - £77,571
    part 2 - £45,272
    Total - £122,843
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 13th Jan 18, 10:14 AM
    • 785 Posts
    • 4,336 Thanks
    michelle09
    Sometimes they're not. Neither my brother nor my father are big readers - I think Dad has read 2 fiction books as an adult? And he's probably the smartest person I know, so it's not always a problem.

I just don't get it, I read every day almost without fail. I am also an awful person who borrows travel guides from the library for the maps and returns them when I get home. (I figure that I've borrowed so many that if I end up losing one and paying for it I'm still doing well).

I'm the opposite - I drink far more on days I'm not working (not able to drink at work, have to wait for breaks) but do far less steps as my job has me on my feet all shift.

Your decluttering sounds wonderful. After the kitchen I'm going to get going on ours, rejig all the house storage.
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 14th Jan 18, 8:52 AM
    • 2,736 Posts
    • 13,572 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Loving the decluttering challenge. About 18 months ago i crazily decluttered every room in the house over 2 weekends. So extreme that i even decluttered some of the storage units figuring we'd only refill them. Mrs SJ has her dads traits and she can be a terrible hoarder, grrr... She is a fabulous cook though so its a fair trade off .

Our other problem is that we have older brothers and sisters that like to declutter their kids stuff into out house, and just yesterday we gained a toy storage unit for DS2 plus a load of old toys. DS2 was thrilled when he answered the door to his favourite auntie and her latest gifts. So i now how to stealth declutter the broken ones! (I'm not totally ungrateful as we've done very well out of clothes that have been in fantastic condition and i cant remember the last time we had to buy DS1 and jogging pants)!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2025... 39//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £42,061.17
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £93,938.84 // Avg Daily Interest £4.22
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 74.24% of £41,000
    • CathT
    • By CathT 14th Jan 18, 10:44 PM
    • 5,586 Posts
    • 38,884 Thanks
    CathT
    Not easy with little ones is it Jimmy. We have been gifted lots of clothes for ds in the past but they did clutter up his room until he was big enough to wear them. I have bought hardly anything new though which has defnitely helped especially at the rate ds goes through the knees in his trousers.

A day at home today, dh took dd to her football match and I deep cleaned the kitchen inbetween 'playing' 'beauty and the beast' with ds who got annoyed with me as I couldn't remember the exact script and what I needed to do/say next!!

19 items declutted and it really was a mix of random items and I've no idea what to tackle tomorrow after work. Paid £18 for lawn treatment today, we did cancel it a few years ago but the lawns soon got in really poor condition so it's worth the spend. We have enough food to last a few more days and I've made a huge pan of veggie chilli which will provide lunches for me for a few days.

We have planned some of our Rome trip and have worked out transport from airport and how to get from the train station to our hotel. I have seen a blog for 48 hours in Rome and I think one of the days we will do the suggested walk which takes in around 10 main sites/attractions. The walk is about 10k so should fill the day. We're going to 'eat on the go' during the day to maximise site seeing time. I still need to investigate going to the Vatican for the other day and we are also going to invest in the Rome card.

Busy week ahead so I best get to bed!
    June 2018 -
    part 1 - £77,571
    part 2 - £45,272
    Total - £122,843
    • 21katy
    • By 21katy 15th Jan 18, 7:24 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    21katy
    Well done on the decluttering. You've inspired me too. Feel better for doing that today. Been on my list for ages.
    Sounds like you are still on target with your food budget. That is really impressive too. Think everyone is counting down until the end of Jan. Long month!
    I'm excited for you going to Rome. We ended up getting a coach from airport to central rome. Cost about 5 euros I think. I would recommend. Taxi drivers could sometimes rip you off. We learnt that on day 1. Ended up walking from then on but turns out everything was in walking distance anyway. You are going to love it there. The food is incredible!
    1st competition win ever happened this year 2017. £250 on channel 5 competitions wooo! Comp for fun, anything I do win is a bonus
    Mortgage OP 2017 - 4900/6000
    • CathT
    • By CathT 17th Jan 18, 7:24 PM
    • 5,586 Posts
    • 38,884 Thanks
    CathT
    Food spends now at £75.56/100 so not a bad effort.

Thanks Katy, I!!!8217;m really looking forward to it. I think we will do lots of walking soaking it all up. At least the time of year we are going avoids the crowds and boiling hot weather which is difficult to walk in.

Decluttering is so therapeutic. I!!!8217;ve sorted out 29 items of clothing dd no longer wears. They are ready to go to the charity shop and I can have a day off the challenge tomorrow. I couldn!!!8217;t be bothered doing it but was really into it once I got started.

Dh has just returned home with dad after football training with more shopping! I best go and assess the damage!
    June 2018 -
    part 1 - £77,571
    part 2 - £45,272
    Total - £122,843
    • CathT
    • By CathT 17th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    • 5,586 Posts
    • 38,884 Thanks
    CathT
    Dd, not dad. I need to learn to check my posts when typing on my iPhone!
    June 2018 -
    part 1 - £77,571
    part 2 - £45,272
    Total - £122,843
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 17th Jan 18, 8:58 PM
    • 785 Posts
    • 4,336 Thanks
    michelle09
    If you're staying in the middle of Rome - just off the square from the Pantheon is an amazing gelato shop. The guy insisted on us trying several flavours and gave us an extra scoop so we could have 'the proper Italian mix'. Will see if I wrote down the name!

Be careful of all the scammers. They're not aggressive, but just turn down any offers of favours.
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 17th Jan 18, 9:30 PM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 10,206 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Rome sounds lovely - definitely on my bucket list.
    Ive also decided my next box set will be Peaky Blinders XE
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,846Posts Today

8,079Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin