Our attempt at being MF!!

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,113
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I wish DH was as motivated to be MF as me! I found a load of CD's in cupboards (not listened to for years) so uploaded them all onto our I-Tunes and then had them ready to go to Music Magpie. Clearing space, making money and still having the music to listen to seemed a no-brainer to me! However, DH decided he still needed them! grrrr! Peraps i should have just sent them!

Think we have about £200 left for the month but am thinking of sending another £100 OP and living very frugally (food shopping is our down fall) It's funny how you make money last when you have to!

Haven't had any One Poll survey for ages, balance is a grand £5.20! Need to check where i'm up to with Yougov but other than that not sure how to send anymore OP before payday!
    Mar 2024 - part 1 - £31,656 part 2 - £25,019 Total - £56,675 44 months to go!
  • Iris_Blue
    Iris_Blue Posts: 1,421 Forumite
    Give him time Cath...sometimes you just have to plant the seed ! :D

When the time comes TCB does cashback 7.5% on music/pie, I don't know about Quidco though.

Do you check Onepoll several times daily as they have been having a lot of 15p suveys last week. Maybe they are just being done quick. Im nearly on my 2nd lot of £40.

Good luck

Iris
    I can't be bothered updating this anymore
  • CathT
    Forumite
    Thanks Iris, he is on board, just with minimal effort!! I've always been good with money tho. I was only 20 when we bought our first house so he should know what i'm like!

I will keep checking Onepoll, I actually have the app on my I-phone (my one luxury in life!) so it easy for me to check so must get in the habit. You are doing well with it.

I feel like the last few days all i'm doing is trying to find ways to raise funds to send as OP! Been reading too many diaries i think! Brilliant motivation tho and that's what this forum is all about ;-)
  • CathT
    Forumite
    Have been shopping around for home insurance last few days and found competitive quote with Sainsbury's (£50 voucher, £30 through Quidco + double nectar points for 2 years) and as it's my main supermarket seemed a good deal. Existing provider made no attempt to match it or keep my custom. If i pay in full probably eats up most of what I have left for the month but means I can increase regular S/O from £50 to £71 a month.

Currently saving for home improvements but now toying with the idea of moving but really don't want to increase my mortgage! If interest rates stayed at 0.5% forever it would make the decision so much easier!
    So, we are getting stuff done at home de-cluttering, touching up paint work etc to a) make house saleable OR b) actually be happy living here!!

Anyone else constantly feel like they want to move?

Managed a Onepoll survey yesterday, am going to have a look at selling books on Amazon but as they are heavy ones not sure it would be worth it? Apart from not eating the rest of the month not sure how to find anymore OP before payday!
  • wynnvegas
    wynnvegas Posts: 1,377
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hi Cath,

How is the SOA coming? Hope the template helped a wee bit.

I think an MSE swapping / selling forum might not be the worst idea ever. We've had a mass clearout but I'm too chicken to make a mess of things on eBay so it's all now sitting in the spare room cluttering up the house still - just in a different space.

Cheers,

Billy
    Mortgage Free: 28/10/2010
    Time / Interest Saved: 18.5 years / £61,866.50
  • CathT
    Forumite
    Ours is in the spare room too, amazing how much junk you can fit in a box room! It desperately needs sorting out, have managed to fill few charity bags but not much else looks 'ebayable'!

Had a quick look at the SOA (thanks for sending) sorry not got back to you, first day off for few days and 2 year old DD not giving me much thinking time!! Will try and put together soon. There are definitely areas we could cut back I'm sure of it! *please don't take my I-Phone off me!*

Have managed 2 YouGov surveys today, up to £20 on there but am a bit lazy at checking emails so could probably get more.
    Have 10 CD's ready to check for Music Magpie
    Not sure i've got anything to ebay apart from small sales and the fees don't seem worth it then
    Unfortunately overtime been stopped at work which was a big source of my O/P or savings fund, looks like i increased my contract hours just in time!

Determined not to go food shopping but Payday seems very far away right now! We both got underpaid this month but if we 'survive' I can send next months extras as OP's.
  • Yes, I should really do an SOA too, but am a bit chicken. If you do yours, I'll do mine...

Definitely weigh Amazon books - in their packaging, you really don't want to sell for a loss after fees. Sorry to hear about the overtime - times are really tough right now.

Regarding your question on move or improve - we have lovely neighbours, and a house we love. We just need something bigger - and it costs sooo much to buy and sell that improving is the only option for us. But we only bought 2 years ago, with the plan of extending part of the purchase decision...
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
  • CathT
    Forumite
    Hi MW,

If i'm going to sell my books I need to get moving this weekend I think. Uni is about to start again so be the best time to offload it all.

My SOA shouldn't take long to do so may even try and do it this morning - there you go, you have to do it now!

House wise we upgraded from a 2 bed mid terrace (no parking, not the nicest neighbours, noisy location etc) to our current 3 bed detached (brill location) over 5 years ago really thinking it was our forever house. Amazing how quickly you outgrow your space when a baby comes along! Have converted the garage to another room but still not completely settled here. Saving for home improvements is a long slow process tho, maybe I should learn to go without?

TBH I should probably stop watching all these property programmes, they give me delusions of grandeur!!

Registered for TCB yesterday, is this where others do their 'daily clicks' I tried to get some cashback by doing car insurance quotes and ended up being phoned by a firm who had spotted i'd been searching - wasn't too comfortable with that!
  • Iris_Blue
    Iris_Blue Posts: 1,421 Forumite
    Hi Cath,

I always give wrong phone number for insurance quotes. If you wanted to speak to someone you'd phone them in the first place wouldn't you! :)

There's not many daily clicks about at the moment , TCB has a few as does FC. I've given up on them but still getting the money through in dribs and drabs. I buy everything online through TCB. I've had £280 from them since I joined so not bad at all.

You can do car ins quotes through TCB and then through comparethem8rket and get 51p a month for doing it. So if you're looking anyway it's well worth you doing.

HTH

Iris
    I can't be bothered updating this anymore
  • CathT
    Forumite
    Thanks for that Iris. It's like when you get cold callers, i never think to say 'oh, she's not here sorry' when it's me they are after!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback