Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pauleyc
    • By pauleyc 26th Aug 10, 10:24 AM
    • 131Posts
    • 175Thanks
    pauleyc
    Snacks for the whole family
    • 26th Aug 10, 10:24 AM
    Snacks for the whole family 26th Aug 10 at 10:24 AM
    Hi there

I am a SAHM with 3 boys (12, 22 months and 7 months)
    Now I, along with my eldest, am very partial to chocolate and anything else that is bad.
    My almost teenage son is also starting to eat all the time and is constantly peckish - he also eats fruit so its not just rubbish he eats.

This "habbit" i realise is costing a bomb.

So i am looking for any ideas for snacks that the whole family can have, which are HM rather than bought. I do bake but it all gets eaten in a flash ( i am probably the most guilty for that) Also i was thinking maybe he could do with an extra small meal when he comes home from school.
    Would be really greatful of any suggestions

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Deborah; 31-08-2010 at 8:39 PM.
Page 1
    • midnightraven3
    • By midnightraven3 26th Aug 10, 10:38 AM
    • 2,755 Posts
    • 6,691 Thanks
    midnightraven3
    • 26th Aug 10, 10:38 AM
    • 26th Aug 10, 10:38 AM
    tray bakes go down well in our house
    2 teens and a sweet toothed OH

nigellas rocky road is good
    but i use smart price choc rather than her suggestion

less than 1.50 ish for a whole hooge slab of rocky road
    we experiment with things to add rather than mallows too

ooh and we use smart price digestives instead of tea biscuits for the base as well
    makes it more substantial
    • midnightraven3
    • By midnightraven3 26th Aug 10, 10:41 AM
    • 2,755 Posts
    • 6,691 Thanks
    midnightraven3
    • 26th Aug 10, 10:41 AM
    • 26th Aug 10, 10:41 AM
    forgot link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/rockyroadcrunchbars_87104
    • pauleyc
    • By pauleyc 26th Aug 10, 10:43 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    pauleyc
    • 26th Aug 10, 10:43 AM
    • 26th Aug 10, 10:43 AM
    Brilliant, thank you
  • jcr16
    • 26th Aug 10, 10:50 AM
    • 26th Aug 10, 10:50 AM
    i agree tray bakes are a fantastic way to cook. also flapjacks, jam tarts, bakewell tarts , mini apple pies, twinks hobnobs, smartie cookies, infact any type of biscuit made at home is always delish. I often find tho because home amde is so nice it doesnt' last long.

Rock cakes are easy , cheap and nice aparently( i make them, hubby says i make the best ever,lol. but i don't like them ) ginger bread people/shapes . choc brownies .

what about home amde cheese scones, sausage rolls, cheese and tomatoe swirls. i know it is savory but it still is snack type food. or lunch box food's.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
    • Bitsy Beans
    • By Bitsy Beans 26th Aug 10, 10:55 AM
    • 9,433 Posts
    • 65,784 Thanks
    Bitsy Beans
    • 26th Aug 10, 10:55 AM
    • 26th Aug 10, 10:55 AM
    I like to have cheese scones or cheese straws, twinks Hobnobs, HM Sponge Cake, fairy cakes.
    Try searching for Weezl's Weetabix brownies - very nice

Not so cheap but just as lush are cinammon buns - but very very very very more-ish
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife Louise Brooks

All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.

Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
    • narabanekeater
    • By narabanekeater 26th Aug 10, 10:56 AM
    • 1,867 Posts
    • 2,758 Thanks
    narabanekeater
    • 26th Aug 10, 10:56 AM
    • 26th Aug 10, 10:56 AM
    as for the small meal I was having this idea with DD I found a piece of toast and a piece of fruit filled her up just enough to get through to dinner. I dimagine cornflake cakes would be quite cheap to make and filling as well
    Mad Mum to 3 wonderful children, 2 foster kittens and 2 big fat cats that never made it to a new home!
    Aiming to loose 56 pounds this year. Total to date 44.5 pounds 12.5 to go. Slimming World Rocks!
    • babyshoes
    • By babyshoes 26th Aug 10, 11:11 AM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    babyshoes
    • 26th Aug 10, 11:11 AM
    • 26th Aug 10, 11:11 AM
    Rice crispy treats are so easy, and you could add dried fruit to make them a bit healthier, or chocolate for a treat.

All you need is a big bag (approx 250-300g) of marshmallows, a blob (approx 1 tablespoon, but I never measure) of butter or marg, and a packet of (value) crispies, plain or choc. In a BIG pot, melt together the mallows and butter on a low to medium heat, stirring constantly. When melted, stir in your crispies (and anything else you are adding) until you can't get any more in - usually about 3/4 of a value bag. Do this quickly coz the mallows start to set and go sticky quite quickly. Dump it into a big, deep sided baking tray which has been lightly greased, smooth it over and press it quite firmly down and into the gaps with a lightly greased spatula and allow to set. Cut into squares and enjoy! If I am making this to take somewhere, I use the disposable foil trays for convenience - it usually fills 2 of the medium square ones. They seem to last a few days, but I have never kept them longer than this!

Useful home made snack, which is low on fat - marshmallows have no fat in them, so the only fat is the bit of butter in the recipe which stops it setting too hard - the more you use the stickier the final squares will be! I am guessing you could do this with other cereals too if you have a healthier favourite.
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • mummyslittleboy
    • 26th Aug 10, 12:17 PM
    • 26th Aug 10, 12:17 PM
    As a snack afterschool or for supper before bed, I usually make my girls a couple of crackers and cheese or a sandwich and a mug of hot chocolate in the winter as it warms them through.

I make twinks hobnobs they are delicious but dont last long and a sponge cake and small fruit buns or a tray bake.
    member of the thrifty gifty 2011
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Aug 10, 8:00 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi pauleyc,

These threads may help give you some ideas:

cheap/ healthy snacks

Really quick and easy/alternative snacks?

Healthy snacks for kids

Cheap snacks to fill up teenagers

I'll add your thread to the first link later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 26th Aug 10, 8:28 PM
    • 8,404 Posts
    • 29,530 Thanks
    Primrose
    Savoury Whirls
    Make up a batch of short crust pastry. (8 oz plain flour, 4 oz of mixed marg & lard)
    Roll out into a thin rectangle.
    Smear the surface with very thin layer of Bovril and sprinkle on a little grated cheese.
    Roll the pastry up into a lengthways Swiss roll. Cut into small circles.
    Bake on a tray in a hot oven for about 20 minutes until lightly brown.
  • pickle
    Scones
    Cupcakes

You could make these up in big batches and freeze.
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 27th Aug 10, 9:36 AM
    • 4,429 Posts
    • 16,462 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    Savoury Whirls
    Make up a batch of short crust pastry. (8 oz plain flour, 4 oz of mixed marg & lard)
    Smear the surface with very thin layer of Bovril and sprinkle on a little grated cheese.
    Originally posted by Primrose
    You could also do these with a sweet filling of cinnamon, sugar and butter-eating one of these now mmmmmm. Use either homemade pastry or you could use bought flaky pastry-I usually have some in the freezer stocked up on when on offer.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

Make up to 10 a day-November 610.22/750

Make up to 10 a day-December 73.84/620
  • clumsymoo
    OMG do I know how you feel.
    My 14yr old DS is hungry ALL THE TIME!

He comes in from school and wants something sweet, He has his tea about 5.30/6pm then by about 9 he has a sandwich and crisps then he will appear again about 10 for an apple and he might try his luck a third time by which time I don't know what to suggest. Cereal? popcorn?
    My OH complains about it all the time but I don't know what to do.

I bake too. Banana bread is quick and easy and hopefuly a little nutritious. There are always old banana's in the fruit bowl to use up.

When does this hollow legs phase end???
    'Experience is the name everybody gives to their mistakes' Oscar Wilde
  • Kittendreich
    HM Flapjacks with loads of oats, dried fruit, seeds & nuts - a wee bit fo fat is needed to bind them and there will be quite a bit of sugar (from the syrup/honey to bind plus the fruit), but the oats & nuts will help fill up for longer...
    • mama67
    • By mama67 1st Sep 10, 9:01 AM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 16,230 Thanks
    mama67
    OMG do I know how you feel.
    My 14yr old DS is hungry ALL THE TIME!

He comes in from school and wants something sweet, He has his tea about 5.30/6pm then by about 9 he has a sandwich and crisps then he will appear again about 10 for an apple and he might try his luck a third time by which time I don't know what to suggest. Cereal? popcorn?
    My OH complains about it all the time but I don't know what to do.

I bake too. Banana bread is quick and easy and hopefuly a little nutritious. There are always old banana's in the fruit bowl to use up.

Originally posted by clumsymoo
    My boys are both like this though DS1 (15) more so.

They have cereal or eggs and toast for breakfast, a school canteen lunch or packed lunch; then
    they have a mini packed lunch when they get in from school,(sandwiches, fruit and hm cake) then a cooked dinner and then he will have either dessert if made or yogurt and fruit approx 9pm then be back again at 11pm for cereal or toast or more sandwiches (often just bread and butter).

I sometimes do egg & bacon muffins as a change to the hometime sandwich (toasted english muffin, rasher of bacon for each then an egg made omelette style and split between)
    2 adults, 2 boys ( sportsmad-big eaters) (21 & 18)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • seasalt
    I am also trying to wean my teens and OH from the chocolate/crisps/biscuits etc altho found I was baking practically every single day during the school holidays! I make flapjacks, traybakes, biscuits (bit like twinks hobnobs) also jam s/ws, fruit, peas at the mo (from the garden - they eat them straight out of the pod!), cherry toms. Cheese and crackers for DS as soon as they get home from school, DD has HMsoup (I always have a pot on the stove). Toast, cheese on toast, beans on toast, "pizza" toast (smear of tomato paste/red pesto/sliced tom etc on bread under the cheese, chocolate toast - sprinkle cocoa and sugar onto buttered toast and grill very briefly - don't burn it - or your mouth(!), left overs eg sausage sarnie, cold potatoes, HM pasties (my grandma often used to roll last offcuts of pastry up wirh a bit of jam or marmalade or just butter and sugar - my lot just like it plain!) fruit, HM yoghurt, altho do sometimes (often!) find that leftovers I was planning to make into another meal have been eaten! I know some of these snacks are more like light meals but OH has hard physical job and DS(15) has hollow legs!

If mine want eg chocs/crisps they have to buy their own!
    Jan 2011 GC 300/150.79 (2 adults, 2 teens, working dog, includes food/cleaning/toiletries)
    • julie777
    • By julie777 1st Sep 10, 4:44 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    julie777
    Popcorn
    Popping corn is really cheap and filling and you can experiment with sugar, syrup or whatever.................
  • JayJay14

Originally posted by clumsymoo

My OH is 53 and it hasn't ended yet
  • Hippeechiq
    Savoury Whirls
    Originally posted by Primrose
    These sound lovely Primrose thank you
    Aug11 193.29/240

Oct10 266.72 /275 Nov10 276.71/275 Dec10 311.33 / 275 Jan11 242.25/ 250 Feb11 243.14/ 250 Mar11 221.99/ 230
    Apr11 237.39 /240 May11 237.71/240 Jun11 244.03/ 240 July11 244.89/ 240
    Xmas 2011 Fund 220
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,085Posts Today

7,473Users online

Martin's Twitter