Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Queenie
    The Gift Cupboard!
    • 7th Feb 05, 8:13 AM
    The Gift Cupboard! 7th Feb 05 at 8:13 AM
    My dMother taught me to keep a Gift Box. Throughout the year, if she saw something which would be a great gift idea for so-and-so, she would buy it and tuck it way in her Gift Cupboard. Same if she saw something in the sales and also with cards and giftwrap.
    It was also where, throughout the year, she would tuck away her HM (homemade) items for gift giving.
    She would keep a notebook so she would always know who she had bought what for.

This was a very "moneysaving"

Come Christmas, her time was freed up from Christmas Shopping so she could get on with the baking, attending school productions etc., that eat into your time!

She was never caught short either, she would keep a stock of generic gifts for just such "emergencies".

Do you keep a Gift Cupboard? How do you organise yours?

If you have joined us from the book:-

Welcome

Pull up a nice comfy chair, have a drink of your choice
    beside you, and be prepared for a long and interesting
    read. Many new visitors frequently find that they have
    all spent hours browsing the fascinating posts and help
    that is to be found here on Moneysaving Old Style.

If you'd like to read more on all sorts of subjects then do
    please click on the link below:-

Money Saving Old Style

Please scroll down for more on gifts

(Board Guides are asked not to merge these threads in order to preserve links from the book)
    Last edited by squeaky; 23-01-2007 at 6:08 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Page 1
  • Sofa_Sogood
    • 7th Feb 05, 8:22 AM
    • 7th Feb 05, 8:22 AM
    After wrapping up what I've bought (in the sales), I usually end up forgetting what's what and opening them all again

This year, I've bought them, saved a picture from the websites, (where applicable) and stored it on the pc. (No printer - yet! )

They're slowly being wrapped up (paper bought in the sales) but I haven't labelled them yet. Just plonked a number on them. Then I write the number on the name of the image of whatever I've bought, and from thereon, I'm keeping my fingers crossed lol.

Not buying Christmas cards this year, but sending gifts via World Vision.

Think I'm nearly done now ... till I spot another 'bargain' !

Just need somewhere to store them now lol.
  • Edinburghlass
    • 7th Feb 05, 8:28 AM
    • 7th Feb 05, 8:28 AM
    You pair put me to shame! I do have a gift cupboard but the only thing is its all over the place and I never remember where I have put things and what I have bought?

Christmas 1999 I bought a Millennium 5 coin for my daughter's stocking, couldn't fine it to put in the bottom of her stocking and have STILL never found the thing! Probably just as well I haven't found it as she would just want to spend it
  • Sofa_Sogood
    • 7th Feb 05, 8:34 AM
    • 7th Feb 05, 8:34 AM
    Not totally organised edinburghlass

I've got a candle burner that I bought for my sis that's been there a couple of years!

Might send it to her for her birthday, now that I've remembered it again

Bought most birthay presents too. Soooo, thinking ahead, which isn't like me at all lol, I bought gift wrap that's not Christmassy either, it's just plain gold.

P.S. Bet the 5 coin turns up when you least expect it to.
  • Lillibet
    • 7th Feb 05, 8:58 AM
    I keep a spreadsheet with the names of everyone I buy gifts for , both Xmas & birthdays & the maximum ammount I would like spend on each. Whenever I buy a gift (started in the Janaury sales) I write details of the gift under the recipent, the cost (and how much it was originally if it was reduced) and any notes such as additional items to go with it too look out for. That way I always have an upto date list of who I have bought for and who I still need to buy for and I know not only how much I have spent, but how much I have saved!!! I don't wrap them until nearer the time though as I find wrapping them early leaves them looking crushed & shoddy by the time the date arrives.
  • Queenie
    Great idea to take/keep a pic!

Wrapping in advance becomes a risky business if you aren't so organised on keeping a record!

I have a page per person in my notebook. On the front of the page I write:

Person:
    Birthday:
    Clothing Size
    Favourite Colours:
    Hobbies:
    Present Ideas: (a list of things I'll either look out for in the sales, or something they have mentioned in passing that they would like; or my own thoughts on the matter)

On the reverse side I keep a running record of what was given and for which occasion:

I also keep a note of who gave me what when I need to "recycle" a gift - heaven forbid if I should give a "recycled" gift back to the original giver!!

This way, I am able to keep track of what I have wrapped and what's inside.

edinburghlass - LOL - it'll turn up when you least expect it. Now, you're half way there by having a "gift hideaway", you simply have to amalgamate all those hidey holes. Is there space under your bed for storage, that you could use? Perhaps a box in the bottom/top of your wardrobe where they can be kept in one place? Understairs cupboard? Loft? Shed?

The obvious danger is that someone will stumble across your stash and will suss out their own gifts (hmmmm, nosey child/hubby syndrome - very common!).
  • Queenie
    • 7th Feb 05, 9:00 AM
    • 7th Feb 05, 9:00 AM
    You sound very organised Lillibet! Good point on the pre-wrapping; it's not a problem I've encountered myself, but yes, it is a possibility.
  • Sofa_Sogood
    • 7th Feb 05, 9:06 AM
    • 7th Feb 05, 9:06 AM
    I feel a bit disorganised, (unorganised?) after reading all that

Think I'll make my one of my jobs for the day, to wrap the wrapped presents in the free bubble wrap that came with all last years deliveries, and numbering on top of the bubble wrap!

I've never thought about keeping a book, I'd probably lose it :rolleyes: , but like the idea of keeping the sizes of people
    • Glad
    • By Glad 7th Feb 05, 9:13 AM
    • 17,915 Posts
    • 39,687 Thanks
    Glad
    • 7th Feb 05, 9:13 AM
    • 7th Feb 05, 9:13 AM
    I always kept a present box when the children were younger, both were in classes of 20 and through primary school seemed to have 1 birthday party a week, so whenever I saw items at bargain prices I'd get it for the present box, January was a great time for stocking up as the supermarkets have clearouts of all xmas presents, I also had a box of assorted value/cheap cards and some sticky numbers to put on them, I bought large value rolls of wrapping paper [smartprice is really good value] that would be suitable for boy or girl.

This way I was never caught out by "mum it's jack/jane's party today and I forgot to give you the invite"
    and I was saving too
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
  • Sarahsaver
    I have a box under my bed, I have saved the free toys from boots, the things I bought to get points, freebies from catalogues... I made a goody bag for a friend's daughter and she was delighted
    My elderly neighbour was extremely happy with the christmas cake I made her, and one of the best received presents was some chickens I bought for friends via Oxfam.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • hilstep2000
    • By hilstep2000 7th Feb 05, 9:29 AM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 17,709 Thanks
    hilstep2000
    I've kept one for years. You are so right Glad, my kids used to come home and say "I've got a party today, I forgot the invitation was in my tray!" So then I started a present, card and wrap box. Got some great stuff in the Boots sale this year. My daughter wwas 18 in November, and all her friends turn 18 this year, so I've got a lot of those already!

I always buy cards when I see them, as I've found that if you go back later they're not always there!

Can't see why everyone doesn't do it!
    I Believe in saving money!!!
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• tiff
    • By tiff 7th Feb 05, 9:37 AM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    My two are 7 and 4 and always going to parties. In January I started buying presents, bought 5 bead kits to make necklaces and bracelets. They were 1.65 each and for the boys bought 5 hardback question and answer books for 99p each. We would usually spend about 5 on each childs present so I'm pleased. Our local newsagent sells birthday cards for 59p each, and they're all really good ones so I have bought 5 girls and 5 boys ones. Thats as far as I got though lol
    A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
  • Lillibet
    I don't bother with cards except for elderly/ long-distance relatives. My experience is : Children only appreciate them if there is money in them & whats the point of giving them to adults who you are going to see on/around the day anyway? I send free e-cards to adults who I am not going to see to wish many happy returns, the sentiment is the same & I haven't just spent 2 on a tacky card & 24p on a stamp. It really annoys me that the marketing men are now inventing more and more celebratory days to spend cards on. Now we have Grandparents day (but there are already cards available for them on mothers & fathers days), Boss day (like I'm going to send a card to my boss!), St Patricks day (I'm not Irish, forgive me if I don't celebrate it, I have nothing against it but I don't see why I should be expected to send a card over it) and goodness only knows what else being pushed at us. The Victorians invented Christmas Cards as a way of communicating with people a great distance away, not for the person you sit next to at work & can wish a merry Christmas to on Christmas eve! I stick with the origianl intention behind greetings cards (thats my excuse for being too tight to buy them, anyway!)

Sorry, will get off my soap box now. Just one of my pet hates, being pushed around by advertisers creating an expectation!!!!!
    • Leothecat
    • By Leothecat 7th Feb 05, 10:09 AM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 11,292 Thanks
    Leothecat
    Edie's House
    My granny had a part of her (walk in) wardrobe that was called Edie's house. This was where she kept all her pressies and goodies. As kids we used to love getting there to see if there was anything for us! As we got older, it became a big family joke as she used to 'recycle' the gifts that she received and of course we found this totally hilarous!
    Now, to my horror I am slowly becoming my granny and have an Edie's house of my own BUT can now understand why she did it. LOL
  • Sofa_Sogood
    Just had another item arrive that'll go really well with something else that was bought. Spent 2 on a Winnie the Pooh 2005 Organiser, (2 quid - no wonder M&S are down on profits - that's all that was delivered!), but it's lovely and it'll go with a sleep suit I bought, also 2, for a friend who's baby's due any day.

How good is that?

Agree about the cards too, that's why I'm only sending via World Vision. And talking of hampers, I got one of the Boots 75% off ones for an OAP friend, but it wasn't suitable, so I emptied it, gave away the olives and kettle crisps etc, things that she wouldn't have liked, and saved the packaging. So I'll make a hamper with things like biscuits, maybe port etc, later on in the year.

Might need to send someone up to the loft with it all
  • ejh1977
    Wrapping is brave...
    [QUOTE=Sofa_Sogood]After wrapping up what I've bought (in the sales), I usually end up forgetting what's what and opening them all again

I also like to buy Xmas gifts throughout the year - and used to wrap as I went along. But you know how you tend to go through phases of buying clothes in a particular colour? This apparantly influenced my choice of presents too. By Christmas Day, my mother unwrapped not one, not two, but three green silk blouses (different shades and styles but... still all undeniably green.) To this day she thinks it was a deliberate joke. Nope - I'm just that blonde.

I no longer wrap until December!!!
  • Galtizz
    Great idea to take/keep a pic!
    The obvious danger is that someone will stumble across your stash and will suss out their own gifts (hmmmm, nosey child/hubby syndrome - very common!).
    by Queenie
    Hide it in the washing basket that's one place kids and husbands never look

I get really organised in about September and write a list out for Christmas but for birthdays I just put stuff in a draw and hope I'll remember I bought it for their birthday, if I forget, they get it for Christmas!
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
  • Sofa_Sogood
    [QUOTE=ejh1977]
    After wrapping up what I've bought (in the sales), I usually end up forgetting what's what and opening them all again

I also like to buy Xmas gifts throughout the year - and used to wrap as I went along. But you know how you tend to go through phases of buying clothes in a particular colour? This apparantly influenced my choice of presents too. By Christmas Day, my mother unwrapped not one, not two, but three green silk blouses (different shades and styles but... still all undeniably green.) To this day she thinks it was a deliberate joke. Nope - I'm just that blonde.

I no longer wrap until December!!!
    by Sofa_Sogood
    Hadn't thought about that to be honest. (Made me laugh though )

The clothes I've bought as presents are mainly cream, lilac or black though (M&S main colours in the sales) but when I get the printer, I'll print the pictures out, if it's cost-effective, and stick those on too. The rest are mainly toiletries that don't tend to change colour

This is all looking a bit disorganised now lol.
  • Edinburghlass
    Hide it in the washing basket that's one place kids and husbands never look
    by Galtizz
    Ah my favourite hiding place, exposed
  • jeryth
    I'd love to have a gift cupboard, but I would use it only for the few children in my family, and godchildren. I thought really carefully about buying in advance for family, and, my personality being what it is, decided that if I had a gift for a special someone, and that SS was not there at the appointed time (ie Death had come to collect them), it would be unbearable. But, like Lillibet, I keep a spreadsheet for Christmas and Birthday budgetary matters.

Ignore all the above tho; I was SOOOOO lucky in Argos Extra the other day. I spent Christmas searching high and low for Magic Sand for my neice, and it was beyond my meagre budget. BUT I got exactly what I/she wanted, at the weekend, for 6.50! I am SO pleased!
    I am an MSE addict; therfore I have a weekly rota. So please do not be offended if I do not reply to a post immediately. But you are welcome to send a Private Message.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,324Posts Today

8,156Users online

Martin's Twitter