Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Penny-Wise
    Bulk buying bread flour?
    • 19th Sep 06, 1:49 PM
    Bulk buying bread flour? 19th Sep 06 at 1:49 PM
    I know a lot of us make home made bread - does anyone bulk buy flour? I donít know where to get it from. :confused: Iíve tried doing a google search but havenít found what I want. Iím really getting into making my own bread again & I want good quality stone ground unbleached white bread flour.

We go through a large loaf of bread every couple of days so can use 2-3kg of flour a week. OH eats sandwiches/toast for lunch & we also have bread with our dinner, esp. with stews, naans with curry, etc.

Now that the colder weather is coming & the risk of getting crawlies in my cupboard is reduced (& having got rid off all crawlies I had before ) I want to look into buying in sacks to see if it is any cheaper/better quality than that I can get at Tescos, etc.
    Your home is at risk if you do not keep up repayments on a mortgage or other loan secured on it.
Page 1
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 19th Sep 06, 2:31 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 19th Sep 06, 2:31 PM
    • 19th Sep 06, 2:31 PM
    I've looked into this Penny-wise.The only suppliers I managed to come up with were organic like Shipton Mill. They do supply in bulk but it was cheaper to buy it from Tesco :rolleyes: I just buy about 4 bags every week from Tesco and stick it in the freezer overnight to kill any .
  • Biddyrolo
    • 19th Sep 06, 3:22 PM
    • 19th Sep 06, 3:22 PM
    I get mine from www.graigfarm.co.uk but I find the white flour doesn't have the oomph of others but the wholemeal has a lovely flavour. I'm still tweaking the recipe to get a loaf that rises nicely.
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 19th Sep 06, 4:23 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    • 19th Sep 06, 4:23 PM
    • 19th Sep 06, 4:23 PM
    Do you have a windmill or watermill nearby? Luckily I am within 3 miles of two that both sell organic flour in bulk - or just the wheat if you want to grind it yourself.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 19th Sep 06, 7:03 PM
    • 6,967 Posts
    • 46,644 Thanks
    Gers
    • 19th Sep 06, 7:03 PM
    • 19th Sep 06, 7:03 PM
    I know a lot of us make home made bread - does anyone bulk buy flour? I donít know where to get it from. :confused: Iíve tried doing a google search but havenít found what I want. Iím really getting into making my own bread again & I want good quality stone ground unbleached white bread flour.

We go through a large loaf of bread every couple of days so can use 2-3kg of flour a week. OH eats sandwiches/toast for lunch & we also have bread with our dinner, esp. with stews, naans with curry, etc.

Now that the colder weather is coming & the risk of getting crawlies in my cupboard is reduced (& having got rid off all crawlies I had before ) I want to look into buying in sacks to see if it is any cheaper/better quality than that I can get at Tescos, etc.
    by Penny-Wise
    Think I may have mentioned them before http://www.fwpmatthews.co.uk/ - brilliant flour and brilliant delivery.

I get the organice white bread flour and the Cotswold Crunch and mix them together. All lovely tasty stuff. I'd never use anyone else now.

hope that helps.
    • jimbo_the_jetset
    • By jimbo_the_jetset 30th Jan 08, 12:58 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    jimbo_the_jetset
    • 30th Jan 08, 12:58 PM
    Breadmaking - bulk buying flour
    • 30th Jan 08, 12:58 PM
    As I tend to use 500g of bread flour per loaf the small bags you get in the supermarket don't tend to last long. Any ideas where I might be able to get 5kg or 10kg bags? Or any recommended brands/websites?
    • Willowx
    • By Willowx 30th Jan 08, 1:04 PM
    • 1,889 Posts
    • 4,595 Thanks
    Willowx
    • 30th Jan 08, 1:04 PM
    • 30th Jan 08, 1:04 PM
    flourbin.com is good they do all types of flour as well as yeast herbs and other bits and bobs. The prices are good however delivery is a bit expensive (either £4.95 or £6.95 can't remember for sure) but this is for up to 28kg so if you can bulk buy this is actually quite cheap.

Hope this helps.

Willow
  • julbags
    • 30th Jan 08, 2:16 PM
    • 30th Jan 08, 2:16 PM
    Wessex mill sell bulk flour:

http://www.wessexmill.co.uk/

A friend of mine gets all his flour from there and recommended it, I don't have masses of space to store flour but I and another friend shared a 10kg bag of wholemeal recently. I haven't actually got round to using it yet as I bought quite a bit of the Dove's farm wholemeal when it was first on at 60p.
  • Gingernutmeg
    • 30th Jan 08, 2:18 PM
    • 30th Jan 08, 2:18 PM
    If you live near an Indian/Asian supermarket, you can often get huge bags of bread flour very cheaply.

• Angelina-M
    • By Angelina-M 30th Jan 08, 2:39 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 4,206 Thanks
    Angelina-M
    Wessex mill sell bulk flour:

http://www.wessexmill.co.uk/

A friend of mine gets all his flour from there and recommended it, I don't have masses of space to store flour but I and another friend shared a 10kg bag of wholemeal recently. I haven't actually got round to using it yet as I bought quite a bit of the Dove's farm wholemeal when it was first on at 60p.
    Originally posted by julbags
    Another vote for wessexmills. I buy my wheat for home milling from them and it makes the bread rise brilliantly. (see my pic on the panasonic thread!)Customer service is brill as well.
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 30th Jan 08, 3:59 PM
    • 4,169 Posts
    • 10,051 Thanks
    Seakay
    If you want organic flours in bulk then I can recommend Salkeld Mill as being very reliable:
    http://www.organicmill.co.uk/shop1.htm
    • JoeyEmma
    • By JoeyEmma 30th Jan 08, 4:26 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 1,499 Thanks
    JoeyEmma
    Does Costco sell bread flour in bulk? If so what is it like and is it any cheaper than the supermarket?
    • Whitefiver
    • By Whitefiver 30th Jan 08, 6:06 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    Whitefiver
    Does Costco sell bread flour in bulk? If so what is it like and is it any cheaper than the supermarket?
    Originally posted by JoeyEmma
    Well ours certainly does, sacks of Canadian (Manitoba?) bread flour (20kg?). I use mainly wholemeal, so I ahve never checked price/value etc., but if you use white flour, and you re a member, definitely worth a look.

Regards,

White.
  • Gingernutmeg
    I don't know about the quality of Costco, but Canadian bread flour is generally regarded as some of the best in the world, because the growing conditions creates wheat with a high gluten content. It'd definitely be worth trying.

• righter
    • By righter 30th Jan 08, 7:18 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    righter
    be careful about buying large amounts of wholemeal/granary/brown flour as it goes off quicker than white because of the oils in the bran (whole) part of it...i know to my cost. i have stored it in freezer,which works but takes up to much space.so i bulk buy white and buy brown regulary. We formed a whole food co-op and buy twice a year from Suma wholefoods in leeds....excellent company and very eco.
    • JoeyEmma
    • By JoeyEmma 30th Jan 08, 8:04 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 1,499 Thanks
    JoeyEmma
    I was thinking about buying white as we seem to go through more of this than the brown.

Will have a look at Costco's next time I'm there.
    • Swan
    • By Swan 30th Jan 08, 8:33 PM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    I used to get 56 lb sacks of it when I ran a wholefoods co-op many years ago, after that folded (supplier stopped doing wholesale) my 'local' health food store would order me a sack, & even after his markup, it worked out quite well for me pricewise

not sure how much it would cost now, as I don't live in the farmhouse with the cool pantry for storage any more so haven't bought in bulk for a while, but it might be worth asking your nearest healthfood place
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 30th Jan 08, 10:59 PM
    • 5,781 Posts
    • 40,093 Thanks
    Caterina
    Have you checked Doves Farm? They have 16kg bags, have a look at their website, www.dovesfarm.co.uk

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • catkinq
    flour by the sack
    Does anyone know where I can buy (mail order or in Somerset near Cheddar) sacks of strong wholemeal bread flour? We get through loads but are finding it harder and harder to get - Asda don't seem to stock own brand stuff any more and the branded stuff costs a fortune now.
    Thanks in advance,
    Hayley
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 27th Apr 08, 8:20 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    try this

http://www.freebake.co.uk/acatalog/Strong_Breadmaking_Flours.html

it's about 59p per kg /5.90 per 10kg
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,473Posts Today

8,508Users online

Martin's Twitter