Rose's mortgage-free journey!!!

Comments

• poppyoscar_3
    poppyoscar_3 Posts: 1,566 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I would definitely get some savings back up - I have about 8 months worth of 'essential spending' money in ISA's. It's just a buffer in the case that the worst happens ever job/health wise. I know in your position I wouldn't be able to resist starting to OP but I think I'd save some too - do half and half until you have a bit of a back up.
    Good luck with your adventure!
    PO xx
    :D2010 MFW Challenge No. 112 Mortgage paid in full 27/08/10 I was MF!!!:D
    But now I'm not - (Joint) Mortgage £104704.
    New MFW target £5000 overpayments by 31/12/2105 £400/£5000 = 8%
    SAVINGS TARGET - £25000 by 31/12/2015 £13643/£25000 = 55%
    No 17 Lewis Lane
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Do all you peeps who OP your mortgage have the recommended 3-6 months emergency savings.

Not really :o We're currently paying my dad back for a loan he gave us, paying it back into my ISA where I'm allowed to 'keep' the interest earnt. I class this loosely as our emerg fund although should he ever want the money back it has to be available.
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • Welcome Rosie, if it makes you feel any better my mortgage is much bigger and I'm about to take it on by myself:eek::eek:

Long story short we are in negative equity so keeping mortgage in joint names till it goes up in value and I will buy the house off him. As such we are on interest only for the time being and my "mortgage overpayments" will actually be me building it up in my own name so he has no access to the money.

I think from reading on here the general rule is if you can earn more interest with he money in a saving account than your paying on the mortgage then that's the bet option. There are threads on here which will tell you the best option based on your mortgage interest rate and if you are a higher rate tax payer or not.

Also we had no savings. So when I was in your position I was going to save half my op and pay te other half. That way it at least feels u are making a start which motivates me:rotfl::rotfl:

Good luck with everything, you can get loads of advice on here as all the posts above show.
    Mortgage @ 01.06.10 £165,999
    Mortgage @ 31.10.13 £14,664
  • IHateDida
    IHateDida Posts: 1,670 Forumite
    edited 19 August 2010 at 10:33PM
    Hi Rose - your posting sounds like my circumstances - I now owe £122k after buying a larger house and owe my Dad some cash - which I am paying back into an account under my name also (in case of emergencies - we don't have an emergency fund apart from this - which really doesn't in theory belong to us but....!). However...my mortgage was £142k three years ago and through overpaying around £4k a year (its all we can afford at the mo!) we have managed to decrease it by £20k and have halved our repayment period. So I can understand where you are coming from.

The most useful advice I have received on here is to get a mortgage pig - ours is called Porcha (!) and happily gobbles any of our spare change. This month on top of our regular OP, we counted an extra £50 from Porcha and paid it off the mortgage! We've even been known to pay an extra £5 in loose change into the bank....after all its not saving us interest sitting in Porcha! Good luck and keep us updated!
  • Hi
    Time to get my mortgage free journey up and running again.
    Since moving house and having another baby, things have gone a little crazy.
    I want to use my diary to document my successes and failures in making extra cash to pay to my mortgage. Im filling up my mortgage pig, trying to overpay as we have come off our fixed rate.

I have joined TCB with the hope of making a few quid from Christmas shopping. At 20 p at mo......WOW!!
    Here we go....:-)
  • Im feeling very overwealmed at the moment, dont really know where to start.
    Might start on my paper mountain and throw some stuff out. Also need to get OH on board. Although he has a habit of just agreeing with me:(
    This will be my plan:
    Bit of a paperwork sort.
    Put important stuff in my binder.
    Look at Open Office (info from a rather lovely person on here) so I can sort out my spreadsheet.
    Order some xmas presents using TCB.
    Quick look at paypal as have about £80 in there. Earmarked for a play kitchen for LO.

Thats enough for now.

Back to work tomorrow,
    M x
  • Hi
    Ive been to work yesterday and back today so I havent got much done moneysaving wise.
    Tomorrow heading to town to set up the standing order for overpayment of the mortgage. Excited!!!
    I have found a spreadsheet that I dont have to pay for. On google :D

Have made £1.77 on TCB, every little helps. So I will put that to overpayments.
    Also my piggy has yielded £4.50 in small coins. £5 to overpayment. So this week, overpayment comes to £6.77+£100= £106.77. Im really impressed both with the amount and my ability to add up :rotfl:
    Back soon xx
  • Hello everyone.
    I!!!8217;m going to resurrect this diary from 2012 in the hope that I can start on my money saving journey again.
    The mortgage is now at 105,000 give or take a few pennies. We borrowed a little more to do an extension.
    Hubby and I have budgeted last month. We spent £670 on food, this included several trips to the Co-op in the month.
    I go in with the intention of buying a loaf of bread and come out spending £15. Any one else do that?

I have really enjoyed everyone!!!8217;s diaries. I!!!8217;m on a mission.
  • Does anyone know how to correct the random numbers in my post above?
  • Love this diary! You're still determined 8 years down the line! Amazing stuff :)

Proves that it is an up and down journey to be MF but determination is key.......especially as it is a long old slog!!
    Mortgage When Started Over Pay 01/11/2017- £146,500
    Current Total - 10/02/2022 - £6,500 (With Offset
    £10k Savings)
    5 year fix
    MFW hopefully by March 2022
    01/11/17 - £10k / £10k Emergency Savings :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income