Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 18th Sep 06, 4:31 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    Great Kids' Car Seat Hunt
    • 18th Sep 06, 4:31 PM
    0 WOW
    Great Kids' Car Seat Hunt 18th Sep 06 at 4:31 PM
    As you may have seen in the news, the new child car seat rules came into force on 18 September.

The New Rules

Booster seats are now compulsory for kids under 12 who are less than 4ft 5in tall, and drivers who break the rules can be given an on the spot fine of £30 or fined up to £500 in court. See the Department for Transport’s website for a full rundown on the new law.

How do I know if a booster seat is compliant?

Boosters must meet the “UN ECE Regulation 44.03” standard. To check this look for a label showing an "E" and "44.03" or ".03".

The label should also show the weight range of child it's designed for. If you need help, the retailer should be able to help you chose the right one.

What's this hunt about?

So as many are now in the market for new car seats, I thought I'd tap MoneySavers' collective knowledge find the best value for money deals around. Of course the primary concern here is about safety as much as the cash, and it's important to check that your booster seat is compliant.

Sadly there's huge demand at the moment - so its important to be aware stock are low.

What this hunt isn't about?

I'm aware there is some disquiet about these new rules, however this isn't the place for that discussion - this thread is about how to comply cheaply and safely.

Martin

REPORT YOUR BEST FINDS BY CLICKING REPLY

And do include where you found the booster seat, the cost, the age of the children and a web link if possible.

Last edited by MSE Martin; 20-09-2006 at 12:15 AM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • apples1
    • By apples1 18th Sep 06, 6:39 PM
    • 1,178 Posts
    • 687 Thanks
    apples1
    • 18th Sep 06, 6:39 PM
    • 18th Sep 06, 6:39 PM
    Whilst the safest option is a full seat with head protection etc if you are going to purchase a booster cushion (as opposed to one with back & sides) it is well worth getting one with the strap that holds the top part of the seat belt in the correct position (i.e away from your child's neck). This link http://www.kiddicare.com/invt/gracboostseatrug?No=0&N=365+27
    shows the strap that I am referring to.

This one is available online for under £15 although many places are now sold out and taking pre-orders for next delivery. My local independent retailer still has them for just under £13 so may be worth checking local stockists of car seats if you need one asap! Whichever make you go for the strap with the "D" ring to hold the belt is really worth having to ensure the belt is not in a dangerous position too close to your child's neck. Most good makes offer this.
    Last edited by apples1; 18-09-2006 at 6:41 PM.
  • thriftyjo
    • 18th Sep 06, 8:13 PM
    • 18th Sep 06, 8:13 PM
    This is typical - I gave my 7 year old daughters seat away a few months ago because our car seats raise up in the car so she is at a safe height - However the law does not consider this and I now have to buy a new one because I haven't got the heart to ask for mine back!!!!! AAARRRGGGHHHHHHH Have also tried every shop and they are all aklmost double the price they used to be and sold out ARARRaaggghhhhagain
    • mrnomoneybags
    • By mrnomoneybags 19th Sep 06, 10:44 AM
    • 556 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    mrnomoneybags
    • 19th Sep 06, 10:44 AM
    • 19th Sep 06, 10:44 AM
    Netto are selling them for £2.99
    • mrsyorkie
    • By mrsyorkie 19th Sep 06, 11:25 AM
    • 926 Posts
    • 1,703 Thanks
    mrsyorkie
    • 19th Sep 06, 11:25 AM
    • 19th Sep 06, 11:25 AM
    Is that the booster cushion and what are they like Tom? I need one for ours and i was going to buy a booster cushion a fortnight ago from halfords for £10.99 and then i forgot and now they've sold out!!! Our 6 year old only has to grow 3" before he doesn't need one. he'll grow that quite soon so i don't want to spend a bloomin fortune on one!
  • bugly
    • 19th Sep 06, 1:58 PM
    • 19th Sep 06, 1:58 PM
    Netto, phone customer services . number on netto website most of them seem to have sold out , no doubt on e bay next week. might save you a journey wasted.
  • terriblesaver
    • 19th Sep 06, 2:47 PM
    I can't find seats anywhere in the high street at the moment! Argh! I too gave away 3 of these about Christmas time
    Terriblesaver - hoping to improve!!! Unsecured debt ... 57938 51453
    Official DFW Nerd no 176
    Reclaimed and won Capital One 224, Paragon 758, GE Capital 63 and 135
    • mrsyorkie
    • By mrsyorkie 19th Sep 06, 2:47 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 1,703 Thanks
    mrsyorkie
    Thanks for that. I've rang Netto and my branch have sold out and so have another branch 10 miles away
  • ms01ma
    • 19th Sep 06, 3:02 PM
    woolworths
    • 19th Sep 06, 3:02 PM
    woolworths have some - free instore collection

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/ww_p2/promotions/index.jhtml?fid=feat6480005

Last edited by MSE Archna; 27-09-2006 at 11:34 AM.
  • outbidder
    Seats In Stock
    I'm not sure how competitive they are on children's seats but they seem to have some in stock and I have always been happy ordering from them in the past.

http://www.nurseryandtoys.com
    • vandanfc
    • By vandanfc 19th Sep 06, 9:22 PM
    • 1,854 Posts
    • 5,291 Thanks
    vandanfc
    This is typical - I gave my 7 year old daughters seat away a few months ago because our car seats raise up in the car so she is at a safe height - However the law does not consider this and I now have to buy a new one because I haven't got the heart to ask for mine back!!!!! AAARRRGGGHHHHHHH Have also tried every shop and they are all aklmost double the price they used to be and sold out ARARRaaggghhhhagain
    by thriftyjo
    Found this, don't know if this would be applicable in your case ???

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/campaigns/childcarseats/childcarseats.htm#01

4. What about rear facing seats in the back of estate cars, or small seats with forward facing seats in sports cars?

Some estate cars have rear facing seats in the luggage compartment for use by children, and some 2 + 2 sports cars or convertibles have small rear seats. Child seats/boosters to the required UN ECE Regulation 44.03 type approval must be used on these seats. However, it may be that such seats are certified to UN ECE 44.03 type approval standards which means that they are in effect type-approved child seats/booster seats themselves and therefore a separate child seat/booster would not be needed. If a seat complies with the type-approval standard, it will have an "E" label, with "44.03" or ".03" and the weight range of the child for which it is designed. You may need to check with the car handbook, or the vehicle manufacturer, whether the seat is so approved.
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 19-09-2006 at 11:48 PM.
  • Ellie
    Boots.com have some of the seats in stock, but all booster cushions out of stock at present. Its worth looking here if you are looking for a seat as if you spend over £50 they are offering 500 points!

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_list_endeca_template.jsp?classificationid= 1034929

(soz i have no idea how to do short links maybe someone would PM me?)

Last edited by MSE Archna; 27-09-2006 at 11:34 AM.
  • atta
    Booster Seats
    I read a previous article regarding Ebay and allternatives such as http://www.freecycle.org/ So I joined. Excellent site. I gave away a booster seat as my first post (just before I realised there was a law change)

So you may be able to pick up a free one if you are lucky. Give it a go. Ps. loads more than just booster seats on there. and its all free.
  • nvv
    Booster seats online at £7.99 from 4WheelPlay.com. I bought a few of them earlier at £6.99 and sold them for £12 outside school!
    http://www.4wheelplay.co.uk/childs-booster-seat-p-25001629.html?osCsid=b4f6be1a4e695cbdc1ef70505153b ff6
  • snap dragon
    Ive just ordered a boaster seat for my daughter from lx direct. it should have cost me 16.99 plus 3.50 delivery but was given a 15.00 voucher for being a new customer. total to pay 5.49, although there is a 3 week wait im sure if i got fined for this i could argue that it was on order.
    so if you go to vouchercodes.com and click on lx direct and you will find all
    codes for this offer and more there.
  • Sarah-Louise
    Mothercare have some in stock starting from 9.99

Click here
    • deanos
    • By deanos 20th Sep 06, 1:01 PM
    • 10,854 Posts
    • 5,566 Thanks
    deanos
    Worth mentioning this device , essential piece of equipment >

http://www.autosafeproducts.co.uk/crashtest.html
  • firespire
    Worth mentioning this device , essential piece of equipment >

http://www.autosafeproducts.co.uk/crashtest.html
    by deanos
    The function of the boster seat is to seat the child so the seatbelt is in the correct position and safe so this product shouldn't be needed.
    • skintarooney
    • By skintarooney 20th Sep 06, 1:48 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    skintarooney
    Our local Argos (Preston) had some booster seats in this morning for £8.99each, but only for collection, have just reserved 2 for a friend as she is at her wits end driving around only to be told that they are all out of stock!
    • deanos
    • By deanos 20th Sep 06, 2:21 PM
    • 10,854 Posts
    • 5,566 Thanks
    deanos
    The function of the boster seat is to seat the child so the seatbelt is in the correct position and safe so this product shouldn't be needed.
    by firespire
    It is to be used in conjunction with a booster seat, as kids are all different heights some kids may require it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,554Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin