Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Catbells
    • By Catbells 14th Aug 10, 3:03 PM
    • 746Posts
    • 1,123Thanks
    Catbells
    No fensa certificate and can't exchange without it
    • 14th Aug 10, 3:03 PM
    No fensa certificate and can't exchange without it 14th Aug 10 at 3:03 PM
    I was supposed to exchange yesterday but have just found out that I have no FENSA certification for some replacement windows I had installed 5 years ago. There is a 10 year guarantee on the windows but the buyers lawyer wants the certificate. What can I do as they have already beaten me down on price following their surveys (3 of them). Thanks for any advice.
Page 1
  • Bananamana
    • 14th Aug 10, 3:06 PM
    • 14th Aug 10, 3:06 PM
    Indemnity insurance at a cost of around £30. Cheapest and quickest way.

waste of money to have someone come out to FENSA certify/ building control sign off.

Also do a search of your house on the FENSA website as maybe you never were sent the cert. A new one will cost £12.

This really shouldnt be holding up an exchange.
  • tbs624
    • 14th Aug 10, 3:45 PM
    • 14th Aug 10, 3:45 PM
    The indemnity insurance will only offer cover against the council pursuing for non certification, so your buyers may prefer to have a buildings control officer come out to sign it off - 70/80 quid or thereabouts when we last had one done.
    • Catbells
    • By Catbells 16th Aug 10, 11:36 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    Catbells
    • 16th Aug 10, 11:36 AM
    • 16th Aug 10, 11:36 AM
    Yes the building inspector can do it too at a cost.
    Have contacted the window firm who installed and am trying to initially get them to get one as they are FENSA registered and don't know why they didn't give me one in the first place.

Bananamana -I was surprised at your comment that this shouldn't have to hold up exchange because the buyers wouldn't want to buy my house if there was something the matter with the windows surely? I can understand why they want certification.

Thanks all.
    • hellokitty08
    • By hellokitty08 16th Aug 10, 12:32 PM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 1,299 Thanks
    hellokitty08
    • 16th Aug 10, 12:32 PM
    • 16th Aug 10, 12:32 PM
    Didnt know you could check fensa for the certificates, that might come in usefull one day.
    • Catbells
    • By Catbells 16th Aug 10, 1:45 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    Catbells
    • 16th Aug 10, 1:45 PM
    • 16th Aug 10, 1:45 PM
    Didnt know you could check fensa for the certificates, that might come in usefull one day.
    Originally posted by hellokitty08
    Yes you can call them up and give them your post code for them to search for your FENSA number or reference.
    • Horizon81
    • By Horizon81 16th Aug 10, 1:52 PM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    Horizon81
    • 16th Aug 10, 1:52 PM
    • 16th Aug 10, 1:52 PM
    Interesting read. Do all solicitors during conveyancing check when windows were last replaced and request Fensa certificate accordingly? How do they know when they were replaced? Does the vendor have to declare it?
  • Bananamana
    • 16th Aug 10, 6:31 PM
    • 16th Aug 10, 6:31 PM
    Yes the building inspector can do it too at a cost.
    Have contacted the window firm who installed and am trying to initially get them to get one as they are FENSA registered and don't know why they didn't give me one in the first place.

Bananamana -I was surprised at your comment that this shouldn't have to hold up exchange because the buyers wouldn't want to buy my house if there was something the matter with the windows surely? I can understand why they want certification.

Thanks all.
    Originally posted by Catbells
    They are 5 years old - if there was an issue it probably would have come to light by now. Tbh if there was an issue it would have been flagged on survey. Its a frequent issue in conveyancing as a lot of installers fail to issue the certificate which causes a problem down the line.

I have not for a long time (in fact I can't recall an instance if im honest) seen anyone insist on the council coming out to inspect to delay an exchange.

Yes you can call them up and give them your post code for them to search for your FENSA number or reference.
    Or check the website and type your post code in ^^

Interesting read. Do all solicitors during conveyancing check when windows were last replaced and request Fensa certificate accordingly? How do they know when they were replaced? Does the vendor have to declare it?
    Originally posted by Horizon81
    Its in the property information "have you replaced any windows since 2002". If you lie and the buyer finds out it's a misrepresentation and they can sue .
  • Cashsaver
    • 16th Aug 10, 7:00 PM
    • 16th Aug 10, 7:00 PM
    Does this mean you dont need a FENSA cert if the windows and doors were installed before 2002?
  • Bananamana
    Does this mean you dont need a FENSA cert if the windows and doors were installed before 2002?
    Originally posted by Cashsaver
    correct

The Government's Approved Document L (Fuel Conservation) was issued on 31 October 2001. It extended Building Regulations to cover replacement window and door installation from April 2002.
  • Ankatden
    http://www.fensa.co.uk/asp/certificate.asp

As another poster has said.

Should use as part of due diligence in buying a house anyway.
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 16th Aug 10, 7:26 PM
    • 14,865 Posts
    • 80,776 Thanks
    GDB2222
    Is it illegal not to have a fensa cert then?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • pimento
    • By pimento 16th Aug 10, 7:31 PM
    • 5,568 Posts
    • 7,217 Thanks
    pimento
    Sounds like an excuse for a discount if you ask me.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • Catbells
    • By Catbells 16th Aug 10, 7:40 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    Catbells
    Sounds like an excuse for a discount if you ask me.
    Originally posted by pimento
    I've told them that there's to be no more chipping away at the price even if there isn't a FENSA certificate. Their solicitor is like Jaws. She leaves no stone unturned.

We have a rather nice beam in the kitchen and she has demanded it be clad in 30 minute fire protection plasterboard - ugly stuff. Thats costing me a further £500. The buyers will tear it down as they didn't want it - only their solicitor wanted it.

A bit worrying that I've just had a personal email from the buyers asking for my insurance policy number so they can transfer!! Haven'\t replied to it. Consulting solicitor and EA first.

Whose house is it anyways?!
    • Catbells
    • By Catbells 16th Aug 10, 7:43 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    Catbells
    Is it illegal not to have a fensa cert then?
    Originally posted by GDB2222
    GOOD QUESTION. I don't know. But I think its a lead up to knocking more of the price. I am not knocking any more off. Already gone down since initial offer.
  • Orpheo
    Indemnity insurance at a cost of around £30. Cheapest and quickest way.

waste of money to have someone come out to FENSA certify/ building control sign off.

Also do a search of your house on the FENSA website as maybe you never were sent the cert. A new one will cost £12.

This really shouldnt be holding up an exchange.
    Originally posted by Bananamana
    Bananamana is right. This is usually satisfied by an indemnity insurance policy. If the buyers want more than this then IMHO they are being a bit fussy, but they are entitled to ask for whatever gives them peace of mind.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • vet8
    • By vet8 16th Aug 10, 7:51 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    vet8
    We are completing on Friday and my OH managed to break a pane of glass in the back door as he was moving furniture. I plan to get a new pane tomorrow and reglaze it. It is an external single glazed door. I am only doing it as it was broken after exchange so I think we have to leave the house as it was then. Am I allowed to reglaze this or is there some new rule about FENSA certficates on back doors?

Thanks.
    • Catbells
    • By Catbells 16th Aug 10, 7:57 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    Catbells
    Wouldn't think a single pane of glass would require a FENSA certificate - it only applies to replacement windows ie full windows not individual panes.
    • Catbells
    • By Catbells 16th Aug 10, 7:59 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    Catbells
    Bananamana is right. This is usually satisfied by an indemnity insurance policy. If the buyers want more than this then IMHO they are being a bit fussy, but they are entitled to ask for whatever gives them peace of mind.
    Originally posted by Orpheo
    Is the indemnity only a one off payment of £30 or so?

Would the same apply to a building regulations certificate comprising of 3 points needing correcting including fire resistant material costing £500 being put up around a wooden beam?If so I could save myself a lot of money. I've got a builder coming on Wed to do this.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th Aug 10, 8:00 PM
    • 65,357 Posts
    • 383,574 Thanks
    PasturesNew

Whose house is it anyways?!
    Yours - and it'll stay yours unless you keep jumping through the hoops.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

171Posts Today

1,549Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Turns out this is all Google served. We've been in touch and it's shutting it down which should cut it on many webs? https://t.co/8OYeMjEu4n

• Follow Martin