Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • bambam0074
    • 31st Jul 10, 7:29 PM
    OS Preparations for Christmas 2010!!
    • 31st Jul 10, 7:29 PM
    I know its still a while until Xmas, but have started to think what I can make for Xmas presents for friends and family..

Numerous ideas have come to mind such as..

Home made wine
    Home made chocolate truffles
    Home made pate
    Home made preserves
    Home made pickled veg
    Home made flavoured oil
    Home made Xmas fruit cake

All home made as you can tell

Anybody else any ideas? The other half took off with fits of laughter as he thought it was a pants idea, and likened me to his mother. Apparently a guy of 35 shouldnt be thinking this way, and I should join the WI with his mom !
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 31st Jul 10, 7:55 PM
    • 9,332 Posts
    • 60,090 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    • 31st Jul 10, 7:55 PM
    • 31st Jul 10, 7:55 PM
    Tell your OH that Gordon Ramsey and Jamie Oliver have been doing stuff like this for years and it hasn't done them any harm!

Try home made fruit liqueurs, biscuits, mince pies.
    Also there are plenty of ideas around for non-edible home made stuff (clothing, cosmetics, soaps etc)
    One life - your life - live it!
  • seraphina
    • 31st Jul 10, 7:58 PM
    • 31st Jul 10, 7:58 PM
    Home made Granola
    Home made sweets eg peanut brittle?

never too early for Christmas planning
  • funtime.franki
    • 31st Jul 10, 10:01 PM
    • 31st Jul 10, 10:01 PM
    I'm tryint to con my mother into making raspberry vodka for uni life

That could be an idea?
    Two thumbs fresh!
  • jaxx46
    • 1st Aug 10, 3:54 PM
    • 1st Aug 10, 3:54 PM
    Have a look on the special occasions forum, loads of ideas on there such as hampers, pots of gold and snowman soup amongst many other things.
    Sometimes not moving backwards is as much an achievement as moving forwards is on other times. (originally posted by kidcat)
    It's only a bargain if you were going to buy it anyway!
  • noynoy
    • 1st Aug 10, 5:01 PM
    • 1st Aug 10, 5:01 PM
    oooh dear im 32 and in the wi but then ive been raised from a farming background ..luckily i think lol

learn to knit and crochet you can make loads then..get yarn from a charity shop i bought 6 large balls of lovely purple yarn for just 2 enough to make sil i squashy cosy jumper
    total debt 4711.00 at lbm (4217.31) dfd aug 2012 overdraft 800 (400.00) kill overdraft first, loan 1500.00 ,creditcard 2411.00
    • DianneB
    • By DianneB 1st Aug 10, 7:22 PM
    • 794 Posts
    • 1,658 Thanks
    DianneB
    • 1st Aug 10, 7:22 PM
    • 1st Aug 10, 7:22 PM
    Go for it!! If my sons made any of those gifts I'd be delighted and very proud!! Get some beer brewing while your at it!!

Sorry just read your post again, I thought YOU were the guy of 35!! As your not, ignore him and get on with it!!
    Last edited by DianneB; 01-08-2010 at 7:24 PM.
    • babyshoes
    • By babyshoes 1st Aug 10, 8:23 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    babyshoes
    • 1st Aug 10, 8:23 PM
    • 1st Aug 10, 8:23 PM
    Jam is easier than most people think, as well as preserved fruit. This time of year you can find free fruit if you go foraging, and blackberry/bramble jelly is lovely!
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
    • thevicster
    • By thevicster 1st Aug 10, 8:31 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 8,143 Thanks
    thevicster
    Bit of a lurker on this board but thought I'd add this;

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2920/christmas-muffin-mix

Seemed to go down quite well last Christmas
    I want a perfect body, I want a perfect soul, I want you to notice when I'm not around[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    • Gers
    • By Gers 1st Aug 10, 8:32 PM
    • 7,402 Posts
    • 50,274 Thanks
    Gers
    Last year I made loads of snowman soups and Nigella's puddini - both were well received and I've had requests for repeats this year.

Oh - and Christmas muffin mix in Kilner jars too.
    • SeaBee
    • By SeaBee 1st Aug 10, 8:57 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 1,705 Thanks
    SeaBee
    Another lurker coming out of the woodwork on this board.

In the past I've made hampers, flannel/sock muffins, snowman soup, pots of gold, flannel reindeers and towel cakes for gifts with ideas from the special occasions board as previously mentioned by Jaxx46

Last year I made edible gifts such as Nigellas Christmas Bon Bons, Truffles, Baileys Fudge, Chocolate slabs and shards as well as individual Christmas cakes. All were very well received as people really appreciated the effort that had gone into them.

This year I want to make up homemade edible hampers so am going to try my hand at making jam, chutneys and pickles as well as the above.

May now add some of those muffin in a jars thanks to thevicster
  • upsy-daisy
    Great thread Looking forward to hearing others ideas and pinching them
    Laugh Often, Love Much, Live Well.
  • claire_tink
    upsy-daisy it seems everybody is doing it this year and it's great fun
    i've already made pickled eggs, table place set mats and runners. sweet jars, spice mixes, from razzle dazzle site . for my nephews birthday i made him a cooking set, cake mixes, tubes of icing, spoons bowls etc . he thinks he's the next jaime oliver and he's only 6 ! lol .
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 2nd Aug 10, 9:30 PM
    • 16,730 Posts
    • 48,917 Thanks
    freyasmum
    Have a look on the special occasions forum, loads of ideas on there such as hampers, pots of gold and snowman soup amongst many other things.
    Originally posted by jaxx46
    I made pots of gold for my daughter to give her grandparents and my sis/BIL. The beauty is you can make them as cheap or expensive as you want, everyone still loves them!

I had ferrero rocher, werthers, wispa gold, anything else in a gold wrapper, a scratch card and I added loads of gold coins - some real in my dads case, chocolate in the others All wrapped up in an ikea 40p gold bowl and gold cellophane with ribbons.

They absolutely loved them! I helped her give them all out at the same time and it was like a bunch of big kids all trying to gets theirs opened first

Oh yea, made Baileys fudge for my daughters nursery teacher and it was absolutely gorgeous. I had to make much more than intended 'cos it kept going walkies
    Last edited by freyasmum; 02-08-2010 at 9:32 PM.
    • ladylouise62
    • By ladylouise62 3rd Aug 10, 1:58 PM
    • 726 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    ladylouise62
    I like making fruit gins (like sloe gin, but with whichever berry you can find) - last year it was Damson from the local park, using cheap gin/vodka from Asda etc.

One comment about the food pressies - think about who you are giving them to and what sort of Christmas they plan for themselves - what I mean by that is that a lot of people buy miles too much 'treat' food that all has to be eaten in the next few days, so if you are giving them stuff with a short shelf-life, they may not appreciate it as much as something they can use later on.
  • Wee_Jo
    Oh yea, made Baileys fudge for my daughters nursery teacher and it was absolutely gorgeous. I had to make much more than intended 'cos it kept going walkies
    Originally posted by freyasmum
    Hey FreyasMum,

What is your recipe for Baileys fudge? I think I'd like to try eating making it.

Jo
    LBM 04/05/10 DEBT FREE 30/07/10 I made it!
    CHALLENGES: 0 bought lunches June or July
    Aug SoL: 15/21 June NSDs: 11/14 July NSDs 12/11 Aug NSDs: 5/12 Savings target: 500/5000
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 3rd Aug 10, 2:12 PM
    • 4,172 Posts
    • 10,055 Thanks
    Seakay
    I know its still a while until Xmas, but have started to think what I can make for Xmas presents for friends and family..

Numerous ideas have come to mind such as..

Home made wine
    Home made chocolate truffles
    Home made pate
    Home made preserves
    Home made pickled veg
    Home made flavoured oil
    Home made Xmas fruit cake

All home made as you can tell

Anybody else any ideas? The other half took off with fits of laughter as he thought it was a pants idea, and likened me to his mother. Apparently a guy of 35 shouldnt be thinking this way, and I should join the WI with his mom !
    Originally posted by bambam0074
    Fantastic! Tell him to buy all the presents then, or give you the money to do it. Bet he changes his tune when he realises the inroads this will make on his "guy of 35" recreation budget!

Only thing that I'd say is that truffles and pate should really be in a fridge so are hard to wrap and give, plus they then have to be eaten fairly quickly and Christmas may not be the time when rich foodstuffs are most appreciated as there is so much around!
    Preserves of all sorts have a much better shelf life and can provide a little treat when the excesses of Christmas and New Year are long gone, plus you don't have to worry about them being under the tree or whatever.
    Last year one of my presents to my MIL who lives alone, was a New Year box - some little treats and nibbles, some home made, some not, that she could have New Years Eve, New Years Day. I included home made pickled shallots and chutnies, regional cheese, special biscuits, home made liqueur. I gave it to her as an "unChristmas present" when I arrived to spend Christmas with her, so that she could put it somewhere cool.
    Last edited by Seakay; 03-08-2010 at 2:21 PM.
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 3rd Aug 10, 6:31 PM
    • 16,730 Posts
    • 48,917 Thanks
    freyasmum
    Hey FreyasMum,

What is your recipe for Baileys fudge? I think I'd like to try eating making it.

Jo
    Originally posted by Wee_Jo
    Right:

500g golden granulated sugar
    500ml whipping cream
    50ml Baileys (there was a free mini bottle on the freebies board a while back, this was the exact right size - you might like to try there before you rush out for a bottle )
    150g white chocolate (cheapest available)

1. Butter and line a 22cm x 22cm tin, leaving a small overhang. Put sugar, cream and Baileys in a large pan and, stirring slowly, bring it to a simmer. Make sure the sugar is dissolved (it will stop feeling grainy on the base of the pan), then turn the heat up to a rolling boil.
    2. Adjust the heat until the mixture bubbles without getting too near the top of the pan. Keep bubbling, stirring occasionally, until a small amount of mixture dropped into a glass of cold water will form a soft ball that you can pick up on the end of a teaspoon.
    3. At this stage, the bubbles will have gone from being large and unruly to smaller and more even. Stir in the chocolate and pour the mixture into the tin. Cool and cut.
    I think the portion you can see cut cost a total of 70p.

I cut mine in different sized triangles, dripped with white chocolate and covered in milk chocolate stars. Wrapped in a little cellophane, with some ribbon and you're good to go
  • v8monkeyboy
    I'm currently making and therefore giving away:

Jams
    Marmelades
    Pickled eggs and onions
    Chutneys
    Pickled beetroot
    Cordials
    Fruit vodka
    Ginger beer
    Fruit wine
    Heather ale
    Chocolates
    Chocolate spoons
    Mustards
    Vinegars
    Roast peppers in oil
    Jellies
    Cakes - fruit
    Biscuits
    Scarves
    Socks

All of the above homemade.

I tend to do themes, so last year my MIL got a lavender hamper - HM lavender bookmark, lavender soap (bought cheaply off eBay but from Norfolk Lavender), lavender chocolates, lavender scones (can be frozen) and assorted other bits.

SIL got a book lovers' hamper: box set of 3 books, new, paid 4 , chocolates, scented candles, homemade bailey's biscuits and other things I've forgotten.

You get the idea, anyway. This year, my plan is to have 99% of the gifts homemade. My MIL wants a specific jigsaw as always, so unless I up my game and make one, I'll have to buy it

T x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,272Posts Today

7,809Users online

Martin's Twitter