Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bootman
    • By bootman 9th Aug 10, 3:00 PM
    • 1,969Posts
    • 1,343Thanks
    bootman
    How do you make Dahl?
    • 9th Aug 10, 3:00 PM
    How do you make Dahl? 9th Aug 10 at 3:00 PM
    I watched Saturday kitchen this week and they had a lady making sweet Dahl which looked lovely it had coconut in it. I can't find the recipe any where on line, I have never cooked anything like this before.

I just wondered how you make your Dahl?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Bongedone
    • By Bongedone 9th Aug 10, 4:39 PM
    • 2,390 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Bongedone
    • 9th Aug 10, 4:39 PM
    • 9th Aug 10, 4:39 PM
    Have you tried watching it again on iPlayer?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search/?q=Saturday%20Kitchen%20Best%20Bites
    • xxvickixx
    • By xxvickixx 9th Aug 10, 4:47 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 6,451 Thanks
    xxvickixx
    • 9th Aug 10, 4:47 PM
    • 9th Aug 10, 4:47 PM
    That sounds like parippu to me. I make it with red lentils and is quick, easy and cheap. I expect there are a lot of versions online if you search.
  • rachbc
    • 9th Aug 10, 5:09 PM
    • 9th Aug 10, 5:09 PM
    I make a simple tarka dahl by cooking the lentils with a little tumeric, I then fry onions in butter/ ghee with garlic, cumin seeds, chilli until crispy and stir the hot spicy butter into the lentils. Ginger, other spices etc can be added to the tarka. Cheap as chips and so delicious
  • carolinejane
    • 9th Aug 10, 5:10 PM
    • 9th Aug 10, 5:10 PM
    was it this one

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3794/coconut-dhal
  • pigeonpie
    • 9th Aug 10, 5:16 PM
    • 9th Aug 10, 5:16 PM
    if you're worried about your cholesterol, don't use ghee but use olive oil. Works fine. And lots of fresh coriander. I add a tiny bit of fresh lemon juice too. I also sometimes add spinach.
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 9th Aug 10, 5:36 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    • 9th Aug 10, 5:36 PM
    • 9th Aug 10, 5:36 PM
    The Tarka Dahl sounds lovely Rach, when you say you cook the lentils in turmeric do you boil the lentils with turmeric added to the water or what? Sorry if that is a stupid question!
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • rachbc
    • 9th Aug 10, 6:01 PM
    • 9th Aug 10, 6:01 PM
    The Tarka Dahl sounds lovely Rach, when you say you cook the lentils in turmeric do you boil the lentils with turmeric added to the water or what? Sorry if that is a stupid question!
    Originally posted by gunsandbanjos

yes sorry that wasn't vey clear - cook the lentils in water with turmeric added - I tend to use just a smallish amount of water so I can just mash them down without draining
    • bootman
    • By bootman 9th Aug 10, 6:38 PM
    • 1,969 Posts
    • 1,343 Thanks
    bootman
    • 9th Aug 10, 6:38 PM
    • 9th Aug 10, 6:38 PM
    Thanks everyone for the replies, have watched the i player thank you, can't find an ingredients list anywhere so will keep watching and writing what I see.
    • unhappy_shopper
    • By unhappy_shopper 9th Aug 10, 7:34 PM
    • 1,294 Posts
    • 7,062 Thanks
    unhappy_shopper
    http://www.cookingindex.com/recipes/61302/bengali-khatti-mithi-chana-dal-sweet-and-sour-chana-dal.htm

Recipe for avial which appears later in the show:

http://www.indiaexpress.com/cooking//avial.html

sour curds in this recipe is actually natural yoghurt.
    Last edited by unhappy_shopper; 09-08-2010 at 7:43 PM.
    Mortgage: @ Feb. 2007: £133,200; Apr. 2011: £24,373; May 2011: £175,999; Jun 2013: ~£97K; Mar. 2014 £392,212.73; Dec. 2015: £327,051.77; Mar. 2016: ~£480K; Mar. 2017 £444,445.74
  • Stephen Leak
    DAL

Dal (or daal, dahl or dhal) means “pulse”, ie. bean or pea, etc.

Serves 2

INGREDIENTS

1 clove of garlic
    2cm (1 inch) piece of fresh ginger
    1 onion
    250g of split red lentils
    ½ a teaspoon of turmeric
    500ml of water
    1 tablespoon of oil
    1 teaspoon of chilli powder
    1 tablespoon of garam masala

METHOD

Soak the lentils according to the instructions on the packet. Peel the garlic and chop it into tiny pieces. Peel the ginger and chop it into tiny pieces. Peel the onion and chop it into tiny pieces.

Put the lentils, turmeric and water into a saucepan on a medium heat. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat until it is just boiling (simmering). Stir frequently to stop it sticking. Continue to cook for another 30 minutes until the lentils are a smooth paste. Check the liquid level from time to time and top up if it starts to dry out.

While the lentils are cooking, put the oil into a frying pan on a medium heat. Add the chilli powder and garam masala. Fry for just a few seconds. Add the onions. Fry them for 10 minutes until the onions are caramelised and dark brown. Stir frequently to stop them sticking. Then add the garlic and ginger. Continue to fry for another 5 minutes. Stir frequently to stop them sticking.

Serve the lentils in a bowl, and then add the contents of the frying pan, including the oil, in a puddle on top.

ADDITIONS & ALTERATIONS

You can use any bean, pea or pulse. In India, they evidently have over 500 to chose from.

Use dried beans or peas, but these will need to be soaked and boiled first.

Black-eyed beans/peas = Lobhia Dal
    Chickpeas/garbanzo beans = Chana Dal
    Kidney beans = Rajma Dal
    Mung beans = Mung Dal
    Red split lentils = Masoor Dal
    Yellow split lentils = Toor Dal

Yellow split peas are not commonly used in India, but are by the Indian communities in Guyana and Trinidad, where the dish is just called dal.

Tadka (or baghar, chaunk or tarka) is the mix of fried spices and onion, etc. The ingredients in the tadka for each type of dal vary, but common tadka combinations include chilli powder, cumin and onion, or garlic and mustard seeds. Ground coriander and garam masala are also common ingredients.

Serve on its own with rice and naan bread or as a side dish with other Indian dishes.

TIPS

Dal is a good source of protein for a balanced diet without meat.

PS. I congratulate everyone for resisting the temptation to say that tarka dal is just like plain dal, but a little 'otter.
    Last edited by Stephen Leak; 09-08-2010 at 11:30 PM.
    • Emm-in-a-pickle
    • By Emm-in-a-pickle 9th Aug 10, 11:56 PM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 8,246 Thanks
    Emm-in-a-pickle
    We loved the Tarka Dahl from the takeaway, and tried many ways to reproduce it at home, none was quite right till we got the right LENTILS!
    You need `Chana Dahl`- yellow lentils, found them in Tesco. Pre-soak them, either overnight or from morning till suppertime when you intend to cook them. It`s NOT fast food, but well worth the prep time!
    Finally, I can make this dish as good as (my folks say better, actually) than the local takeaway.
    Ghee, olive oil, or olive oil/buter mix, doesn`t really matter.
    Get the butter/oil hot but keep it low, add in a scoop of onion seeds - grind them first if you can, then loads of crushed garlic, keep it low, brown but not to burn the butter - wait till it smells lovely then put it into a big pan with your pre-soaked dahl and a dissolved stock cube (veg or chicken Knorr), stir it up and simmer till the dahl goes mushy. Add a load of fresh chopped coriander at the last minute. It really does taste like the gorgeous stuff our local takeaway used to do.
    • ladylouise62
    • By ladylouise62 13th Aug 10, 1:03 PM
    • 726 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    ladylouise62
    Further to "Emm-in-a-pickles" recipe, if you do forget to soak them the night before, I've done it from lunchtime but with some bicarb of soda in the water - it softens it slightly, allowing the water uptake... and apparently if added to the dish when cooking will also help with the, ahem, less social results of beans
  • *Paris*
    I love dhal! This is the recipe I use from '330 Vegetarian Recipes for Health'

Ingredients:
    2 tbsp veg oil
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 carrot, diced
    2 tsp cumin seeds
    2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
    1 inch peice of fresh ginger, grated
    2 tsp ground turmeric
    1 tsp chilli powder
    1 tsp garam masala
    225g red split lentils
    400ml water
    400ml coconut milk
    5 chopped tomatoes
    juice of two fresh limes
    4 tbsp chopped coriander
    salt & pepper to season
    sprinkle of toasted almonds to serve

I usually serve this with naan bread. The recipe is for 4 people and takes about 1 hours cooking time.

Method:
    1. Heat the oil in a large pan, saute the onion for 5 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, carrot, cumin and mustard seeds and ginger. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring until the seeds begin to pop and the carrot softens slightly.

2. Stir in the groung turmeric, chilli powder, and garam masala, and cook for 1 minute until the flavours begin to mingle, stirring to prevent thespices burning.

3. Add the lentils, water, coconut milk and tomatoes, and season. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the lentils sticking.

4. Stir in the lime juice and 3 tbsp of the coriander. Cook for a further 15 minutes until the lentils become soft and tender. To serve, sprinkle the remaining coriander and the toasted almonds.

5. Enjoy!
  • jennieshrew
    rice and lentil dhal tastes of nothing - how can i rescue?
    I made a rice and lentil dhal in the slow cooker. Have tried feeding it to the kids but even the three year old has turned his nose up. It is tasteless. Tastes of too much turmeric and not a lot else. Has onions, chilli powder, cardamon, cloves and cumin in it but tasteless! Please help me rescue it!! What can I add quickly.

• spike7451
    Problem is Turmeric is a very hard spice to hide if you over did it,you could try a garam masala or teaspoonful of curry paste.
  • lizzyb1812
    Something with tomato in it - sauce, ketchup, tinned, puree, etc plus a pinch of sugar
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • jennieshrew
    Miracle! That's done it. I added a spoonful of harissa, a tin of tomatoes and some sugar. Yummy again. Thanks!! Hopefully DH will like it.

• FelinePrincess
    I see the problem has already been solved but for future reference, the way to add flavour to dhal is.. (taken from Madhur Jaffrey recipe book)

Just before serving heat 3 tbs vegetable oil in 4-5inch frying pan over medium-high heat. When very hot, put in a pinch of ground asafetida and 1/2 tsp whole cumin seeds. As soon as the asafetida begins to sizzle and expand, and the cumin seeds darken pour the contents of frying pan over lentils and stir.

HTH someone
  • Reverbe
    my lentil dhal i tried to make once was the same. didnt use asefoewhatsit but the ones in the local restaurant/takeaway seem to be creamier and more flavourful.. more garlic???
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

97Posts Today

2,756Users online

Martin's Twitter