Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lazy&indebt
    • By lazy&indebt 11th Sep 06, 9:43 AM
    • 572Posts
    • 216Thanks
    lazy&indebt
    Clothes - Treat or Necessity?
    • 11th Sep 06, 9:43 AM
    Clothes - Treat or Necessity? 11th Sep 06 at 9:43 AM
    My question is about clothes Ė Do you guys see clothes as a treat or a necessity? Since my LBM, I have not bought any new clothes (apart from maybe the odd £3 top or something) because Iíd always classed them as treats. But Iíve come into work this morning looking like a right scruff! Iíve got a safety pin holding my trousers together, my zip up top now has a hole in the elbow Ė and donít even get me started on my work shoes!

Do you think itíd be Ďfalling off the DFW wagoní if I bought some new clothes (cash not CC!)? Where is the best place to buy them? The other problem I have is finding clothes to fit, Iím a size 8/10 with 34Ē legs and usually the only trousers that fit me are from River Island or Top Shop!

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 12-09-2006 at 4:28 PM.
    Was debt free... then went travelling!
Page 1
    • bobbadog
    • By bobbadog 11th Sep 06, 9:46 AM
    • 1,613 Posts
    • 4,415 Thanks
    bobbadog
    • 11th Sep 06, 9:46 AM
    • 11th Sep 06, 9:46 AM
    My question is about clothes – Do you guys see clothes as a treat or a necessity? Since my LBM, I have not bought any new clothes (apart from maybe the odd £3 top or something) because I’d always classed them as treats. But I’ve come into work this morning looking like a right scruff! I’ve got a safety pin holding my trousers together, my zip up top now has a hole in the elbow – and don’t even get me started on my work shoes!

Do you think it’d be ‘falling off the DFW wagon’ if I bought some new clothes (cash not CC!)? Where is the best place to buy them? The other problem I have is finding clothes to fit, I’m a size 8/10 with 34” legs and usually the only trousers that fit me are from River Island or Top Shop!
    by lazy&indebt
    Awww, all guilt is self inflicted my love, and you shouldn't feel guilty spending on yourself from time to time. It's evident you're getting right down and tackling your debts, I think some well selected clothing will make you feel better about yourself - priceless! If you can't face RI or Topshop prices, eBay eBay eBay! x

Incidentally, I know just how you feel. I'm having a group lunch with our new MD's Assistant in a posh soho restaurant, and i'm wearing jeans, converse (dead ones) and an old band t-shirt with bleach stains on. Lovely.
    Last edited by bobbadog; 11-09-2006 at 9:48 AM.

• spud30
    • 11th Sep 06, 9:52 AM
    • 11th Sep 06, 9:52 AM
    Hey Lazy

Clothes are only a treat if you have a wardrobe full and buy more.

If you've got none, I'd say they are a necessity.

I also have a safety pin in the trousers situation, so will have to buy some soon. Cant really be flashing at all the kids in school can I :rolleyes:
    Last edited by spud30; 11-09-2006 at 2:16 PM.
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches

Loves being a Wonderbra friend
  • loopyloulou
    • 11th Sep 06, 9:53 AM
    • 11th Sep 06, 9:53 AM
    I used to always get my clothes from Next. But now I go to their outlets and get the right leg length for half the price!

All my tops etc for work and casual come from primark! In fact i got a black and white spotty shirt dress for work from primark at the weekend reduced to £2!!

I spent £36 in primark and got 4 sets of underwear, a dress and 4 tops and a leopard print cardigan. Bargainous!!

Asda do lovely clothes and do different leg lengths too.

I see work clothes as a neccessity, as it is part of my job to look smart and presentable for clients, and if i came in looking scruffy i would get pulled up on it. as for casual clothes i hardly ever buy these (unless really cheap!)

Also if I do buy primark trousers that are too long, I take them up myself with the help of either my mother, or wonderweb!!
    • Little Miss Winner
    • By Little Miss Winner 11th Sep 06, 9:54 AM
    • 4,006 Posts
    • 136,050 Thanks
    Little Miss Winner
    • 11th Sep 06, 9:54 AM
    • 11th Sep 06, 9:54 AM
    Have you tried NEXT?

www.next.co.uk

Type in Sale, they have loads left from a £5. I say loads, loads in your size they always have tons of 8L in jeans/trousers.

hugs
    pot
    xx
  • mm2000
    • 11th Sep 06, 9:57 AM
    • 11th Sep 06, 9:57 AM
    I'd have to say Primark is a good bet. Seem well made and very cheap. I'd say treat yourself but that would be the wrong words. It's a neccessity. Now stop wasting time and get down there straight away.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 11th Sep 06, 9:58 AM
    • 4,318 Posts
    • 8,941 Thanks
    TallGirl
    • 11th Sep 06, 9:58 AM
    I have 36inch legs so I know your problem. I use Ebay you can get lots of Next and Long Tall Sally on there, never had a problem and clothes is as new and very very cheap. Got two Monsoon Dresses for £11 each must be at least £60 in the shop.
    • lil'H
    • By lil'H 11th Sep 06, 9:58 AM
    • 509 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    lil'H
    I'd say clothes are a treat, when you have lots, but once you are holding them together with safety pins a necessity! Now your a DFW you'll prob be more sensible anyway and find yourself the best deals. I am refusing to buy clothes at the moment, and also am actually going through some items, but still have plenty in my wardrobe so going to hold out a little longer!

Lil'H
    Riding out the receession.........
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 11th Sep 06, 9:59 AM
    • 7,768 Posts
    • 3,803 Thanks
    Stompa
    • 11th Sep 06, 9:59 AM
    • 11th Sep 06, 9:59 AM
    Simple - when something wears out I replace it!
    Stompa
    • lazy&indebt
    • By lazy&indebt 11th Sep 06, 10:03 AM
    • 572 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    lazy&indebt
    Cheers you lot! That was the right answer
    Definately going to check out the next website and will try and find out when Primark is open until to see if I can get there before it shuts - I do like their underwear..all my whites have gone grey
    • bobbadog
    • By bobbadog 11th Sep 06, 10:13 AM
    • 1,613 Posts
    • 4,415 Thanks
    bobbadog
    underwear..all my whites have gone grey
    by lazy&indebt
    Not sure if i'm over frugal, but I only wear black underwear for that reason

• MascaraMinx
    • By MascaraMinx 11th Sep 06, 10:19 AM
    • 339 Posts
    • 234 Thanks
    MascaraMinx
    Necessity for me - I would get commented on if I came to work in patched up clothes, and I would feel bad about myself.

However, I see them as a luxury when we're talking designer/ expensive makes or items I don't need.

I would recommend buying a couple of pairs of good quality trousers as these will see you through for months and months, better than buying a really cheap pair which will have a safety pin in them within a few weeks so is really false economy. With tops, you can afford to buy more quantity of perhaps slightly lower quality. Good shops I think are Primark, Peacocks, Tesco Florence& Fred, Asda George, Sainsbury's (if you have a clothes one near you), and H&M. And of course ebay!

Hth x
    • tanith
    • By tanith 11th Sep 06, 10:20 AM
    • 7,982 Posts
    • 8,589 Thanks
    tanith
    Regarding the white/grey underwear I have know friends who complain of the same thing and on asking have found that they just chuck all washing in the machine together.... dark coloureds and white...... I am presuming that you do separate whites from other and wash separately?

I find my white bras do stay whiter longer when I hand wash them ... but can't be bothered with other items so buy cheap and just replace them when they are beyond
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
    • saubryn
    • By saubryn 11th Sep 06, 10:24 AM
    • 600 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    saubryn
    I'd say a 50 quid brand name top just for the sake of it is a treat. Picking up some spare 3 quid tops and fiver trousers for work, or because your leisure gear is dropping to bits is a necessity.
    DFW Nerd No. 140
    Status as of 30/11/12
    Rent 2500 Council Tax 800 NlPower - 800 IF - 8000 British Gas - 112 - 102 Lloyds - 1123
    Barclays - 306 Barclaycard 1,123 HSBC - 200 Capital 1- 400 Barclayloan - 4500
  • Gemmzie
    Necessity - you can't walk around without them can ya?

In all seriousness though, I spend way too much on clothes so trying to be much more careful now. I have several items in my wardrobe with the tags still in Must ebay them

I also have the trouser length problem - I find Dorothy Perkins are very good for black trousers (last pair was £10 - get worn to death).

We don't have Primark or H&M But Plymouth will next month so will have to have a gander
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
    • lazy&indebt
    • By lazy&indebt 11th Sep 06, 11:01 AM
    • 572 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    lazy&indebt
    Regarding the white/grey underwear I have know friends who complain of the same thing and on asking have found that they just chuck all washing in the machine together.... dark coloureds and white...... I am presuming that you do separate whites from other and wash separately?

I find my white bras do stay whiter longer when I hand wash them ... but can't be bothered with other items so buy cheap and just replace them when they are beyond
    by tanith
    I wash all my coloureds seperately so not sure why they go like that. I might try some 'glo white' on them and see if that works!
    • lazy&indebt
    • By lazy&indebt 11th Sep 06, 11:07 AM
    • 572 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    lazy&indebt
    Necessity for me - I would get commented on if I came to work in patched up clothes, and I would feel bad about myself.

However, I see them as a luxury when we're talking designer/ expensive makes or items I don't need.

I would recommend buying a couple of pairs of good quality trousers as these will see you through for months and months, better than buying a really cheap pair which will have a safety pin in them within a few weeks so is really false economy. With tops, you can afford to buy more quantity of perhaps slightly lower quality. Good shops I think are Primark, Peacocks, Tesco Florence& Fred, Asda George, Sainsbury's (if you have a clothes one near you), and H&M. And of course ebay!

Hth x
    by MascaraMinx
    I work in an office and it's the same with me - I am suprised I haven't been pulled up on it yet! The black leather is coming away from my heels and you can see the white bits!! EEK!
  • spud30
    I work in an office and it's the same with me - I am suprised I haven't been pulled up on it yet! The black leather is coming away from my heels and you can see the white bits!! EEK!
    by lazy&indebt
    So get a permanent black marker and colour em in
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches

Loves being a Wonderbra friend
    • **purpleprincess**
    • By **purpleprincess** 11th Sep 06, 12:16 PM
    • 3,516 Posts
    • 3,845 Thanks
    **purpleprincess**
    My little mantra that I use is *need or want* and if your trousers are held together with a safety pin and your top has a hole then I would say you *need* them!! The thing that would distinguish between *old ways* and *new ways* is how you go about buying the stuff you need!! If you just went out and bought the first thing you saw and didn't even acknowledge the cost then that wouldn't be sensible, however if you shopped around and got the most for your money then that would be very MSE!! It *IS* ok to buy yourself clothes!!
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082!
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00
    Aims: clear debt, get married, buy a house ALL DONE!!
    • Quincifer
    • By Quincifer 11th Sep 06, 12:27 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Quincifer
    Agreed with all above, if you're holding your clothes together then its definitely a need but if you're buying because you saw and liked then its a want.
    Ebay is the way!!!And dotty p's for trousers.
    x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,614Posts Today

7,125Users online

Martin's Twitter