Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KittyBoo
    • By KittyBoo 22nd Jul 10, 9:19 PM
    • 672Posts
    • 1,607Thanks
    KittyBoo
    Help, I can't stop spending.
    • 22nd Jul 10, 9:19 PM
    Help, I can't stop spending. 22nd Jul 10 at 9:19 PM
    I know this sounds crazy but although I don't have very much money, I still seem to be spending money that ought to be paying off my debts.
    It's always on groceries and not magazines or other stuff.
    I go shopping with a list but see things that I know we'll use in the future such as shampoos, washing up liquid and special offers on meat.
    I rationalise that I am saving money in the long run but realistically that is not going to happen.
    I know leaving your card at home sound like the sensible thing to do and to just take cash but I always overestimate what I might spend and then take a bit more money.
    I have been reading these posts for ages and feel such a failure that I can't get a grip on this.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 27-07-2010 at 4:52 PM.
    NSK Zombie # SFD 7/15 Food Bank £0/£5
    Food
    £73.57/£122 (incl. pet food)
    Petrol £20/£40
    Exercise 2/15 Outings 1/2
    Debt £18,917
Page 1
    • Angela84
    • By Angela84 22nd Jul 10, 9:33 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 975 Thanks
    Angela84
    • 22nd Jul 10, 9:33 PM
    Kitty, I do exactly the same. For some reason I don't see it as bad as buying clothes, other stuff etc, as I know it'll be used up eventually/eaten etc.
    Last week I did my first shop online, and it was so easy, and I didn't end up with 2 4 1 offers I didn't need, 3 loaves of reduced bread, an £8 air freshener, and some deli meats..... just the stuff I needed.
    To be fair this week has been boring in the snacks and goodies department, going to look in the cupboards at 9pm for a treat has left me cold, but I know I have saved money.

You also see it adding up as you put things in your 'basket' so you don't get that shock when your shop you worked out at coming in about £50 comes in at £85.

Otherwise I would just transfer the money into my current account just before I left. When you've had the embarrassment of having your card decline, and having to put things back with everyone watching will make you learn pretty quickly to add it up accurately.
    Last edited by Angela84; 22-07-2010 at 9:35 PM.
    LBM January 2017 £9850 debts /// Nov 2017 £4284 paid £5566 to go (42%) DFD June 18

Natwest C/C £250 Rbs O/D £1250 NatWest O/D £1600
    Barclaycard C/C £2050 £1200 Lloyds C/C £4750 £4366

Been in debt for 15yrs, trying to become debt free in 15 months
    • bottleofred
    • By bottleofred 22nd Jul 10, 9:33 PM
    • 2,876 Posts
    • 13,686 Thanks
    bottleofred
    Hi Kittyboo,

If you post your statement of affairs on the thread you will get help and assistance on how to save money.
    • KittyBoo
    • By KittyBoo 22nd Jul 10, 10:25 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    KittyBoo
    • 22nd Jul 10, 10:25 PM
    • 22nd Jul 10, 10:25 PM
    Kitty, I do exactly the same. For some reason I don't see it as bad as buying clothes, other stuff etc, as I know it'll be used up eventually/eaten etc.
    Last week I did my first shop online, and it was so easy, and I didn't end up with 2 4 1 offers I didn't need, 3 loaves of reduced bread, an £8 air freshener, and some deli meats..... just the stuff I needed.
    To be fair this week has been boring in the snacks and goodies department, going to look in the cupboards at 9pm for a treat has left me cold, but I know I have saved money.

You also see it adding up as you put things in your 'basket' so you don't get that shock when your shop you worked out at coming in about £50 comes in at £85.

Otherwise I would just transfer the money into my current account just before I left. When you've had the embarrassment of having your card decline, and having to put things back with everyone watching will make you learn pretty quickly to add it up accurately.
    Originally posted by Angela84
    Thankyou for your words of comfort.
    That is it exactly.
    I think the problem for me is that I do my shopping in the week in dribs and drabs because when I check what we have, I don't need that much so I nip in to Morrisons and pick the "basics" up.
    This ends up with the BOGOF's and othr bargains. = OVERSPEND.
    I then go to MR T's to take my Mum shopping and of course the same happens again = OVERSPEND.
    I'm sure it would work out cheaper if I ordered online and paid for the delivery.
    At least I wouldn't be tempted and then I could just take my Mum shopping and not even look for anything.
    It's all down to the planning, I know.
    Right, I am going to set myself a challenge and get this sorted and order it all online.
    Thanks for the inspiration.
    Food
    Petrol £20/£40
    Debt £18,917
    • KittyBoo
    • By KittyBoo 22nd Jul 10, 10:33 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    KittyBoo
    • 22nd Jul 10, 10:33 PM
    • 22nd Jul 10, 10:33 PM
    Hi Kittyboo,

If you post your statement of affairs on the thread you will get help and assistance on how to save money.
    Originally posted by bottleofred
    To be honest, I wouldn't dare post my SOA as it is a horror story.
    After a serious illness and not working for 2 years (and being on Incapacity benefit and full rate DLA), I am in a world that I don't even recognise.
    I have pared down my outgoings to the basics but still rob Peter to pay Paul.
    My mortgage has been interest only for 2 years and I have set up minimum payments for my debts.
    I will still be paying these off in 100 years.
    However, I need to grab the bull by the horns and tighten the purse strings and get it sorted.
    I have upped my minimum payments from £1.00 to £2.00 (not much but the creditors are happy) and agreed other payments to the Inland Revenue and for my water bill.
    If I can find money to do this extra shopping, then I should be able to put this to either my mortgage or to increase the debt payments.
    Thankyou for your comments.
    They are greatly appreciated and it does help to actually face up to it and share it with like minded people.
    Food
    Petrol £20/£40
    Debt £18,917
  • GEEGEE8
    • 22nd Jul 10, 10:36 PM
    • 22nd Jul 10, 10:36 PM
    I think it's a habit, and to some extent an addiction.. try to wean yourself off it gradually and don't be too hard on yourself.

x
    • KittyBoo
    • By KittyBoo 22nd Jul 10, 10:46 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    KittyBoo
    • 22nd Jul 10, 10:46 PM
    • 22nd Jul 10, 10:46 PM
    I think it's a habit, and to some extent an addiction.. try to wean yourself off it gradually and don't be too hard on yourself.

x
    Originally posted by GEEGEE8
    It is a habit.
    I kid myself I am stockpiling and saving money, which will keep me out of the supermarket but of course it doesn't.
    I think I will try the online shopping and hopefully be able to control myself and not get into the same situation of buying the BOGOF's and multi packs of essentials.
    Thanks
    Food
    Petrol £20/£40
    Debt £18,917
    • barbiedoll
    • By barbiedoll 23rd Jul 10, 12:43 AM
    • 4,914 Posts
    • 13,488 Thanks
    barbiedoll
    • 23rd Jul 10, 12:43 AM
    • 23rd Jul 10, 12:43 AM
    Sometimes, it's the obvious things which can help. Make a list when you go food shopping and stick to it. I've started doing that, I check the cupboards and realise that I really don't need 4 tins of baked beans, however cheap they are. (7 tins in the cupboard already )
    Also..and this is REALLY effective..always, always eat before you go. That way, you don't pick up things just because you fancy them, e.g hot sausage rolls, cakes, etc,etc. I make sure that everyone has breakfast before we go to the supermarket, it has stopped my OH and my kid from dropping cakes, biscuits and other rubbish into the trolley. My weekly supermarket spend used to be around £100, I've now got it down to an average of £65. I try to buy all the cleaning stuff in one week, tins and dried goods in the next, biscuits, crisps and drinks in the third week and the final week (payday!) is for tea, coffee and sugar, big packs to save money
    You can do this, it just means changing your habits. Good luck!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • andrea1968
    • 23rd Jul 10, 7:34 AM
    • 23rd Jul 10, 7:34 AM
    You say that you take your mum shopping as well as doing your own - depending if she's well enough why don't you swap lists - tell your mum to get only the things on your list and you do hers in the same way. You won't pick up the offers for her because its not your money that you're spending and she'll only get the things that you've put on your list.

Might be worth a try ?!
    Finally got the house we' ve worked so hard to get......now it's a life of diy and no money....couldn't be happier
    • tallyhoh
    • By tallyhoh 23rd Jul 10, 10:26 AM
    • 2,163 Posts
    • 2,235 Thanks
    tallyhoh
    I'm a bit guilty of food shopping for stuff I dont really need. I dont overspend a penny in other areas but I think my sub concious justifies it by saying that food is a basic requirement.

Having said that I just checked my grocery bill for the last 2 months & it averaged out at £160 a month for 2 adults, 2 teenagers & 2 dogs.
    Tallyhoh!

Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £21,840 so far!
    • KittyBoo
    • By KittyBoo 23rd Jul 10, 11:18 AM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    KittyBoo
    It's very strange to think I can't get my head around this.
    I do start with good intentions and write a list but it is the things like stocking up on beans, tinned tomatoes etc when they are on offer.
    I can't seem to decide how much needs to be in the pantry and whether to top it or make do with what we've got and make it last.
    Do I then just buy what we need for the following week or do I buy a few bits for the pantry?
    How do you do your shopping and do you keep a stock of things in?
    Thanks for replies.
    Food
    Petrol £20/£40
    Debt £18,917
    • josephine82
    • By josephine82 23rd Jul 10, 12:07 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    josephine82
    Hi Kitty

I have a separate account for groceries (in which I include household bits, and my few toiletries).
    I do a big shop once a month, usually online, and stock up the cupboards and freezer. I usually buy the 3 packs of meat for £10, and then divide them all up and freeze individual portions.
    Then on a Sunday I do a little shop for fruit and veg, bread and milk and sandwich stuff for the week. I don't go near Tesco at any other point- unless I actually need something specific.

It takes a while, but you get used to it. I check my 'groceries' account as part of my online banking, and when the money is gone, its gone. I eat up whats in my cupboards and freezer!

Another tip is to try some of the value/own brand stuff out there. Some of it is more than acceptable and some isn't, it takes time to try and sometimes you can find stuff you really like. (examples- Tesco value marmalade, rice crispies, fromage frais....erm...rice...)

Maybe you need to set yourself a challenge to record how much you spend on groceries and then try and reduce it bit by bit each week/month??

Good luck

Jo x
    Debt Free as of 2nd October 2009
    • Angela84
    • By Angela84 23rd Jul 10, 12:24 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 975 Thanks
    Angela84
    Hope the online thing works for you. The going shopping twice a week thing also doesn't help, I do that sometimes, 'pop' in for some bread and fruit, and end up with £35 quids worth.
    Its so tough, I automatically look for the brightly coloured tickets with the deals on, when actually some other the other things on the shleves might actually work out cheaper. Or I've got home and found I managed to buy 3 bottles of wine which were £3 each, but they were on the 3 bottles for a tenner. I just gave Tesco an extra £1 for nothing!

One thing I've done when I've got home and realised I already had 5 jars of pasta suace, and there just isn't room for any more in the cupboard is try and use up everything in the cupboard before buying new. And the freezer. Using that last tin of toms, or beans is a scary thing (ahh, what if someone comes over tomorrow and demands beans?!) but the empty cupboard will make shopping feel justified and not a guilty experience.

Or (this is naughty) wait until you are putting your things on the belt, take a deep breath, and put some of the stuff back you really do feel guilty about in a basket, and tell the check out person you don't want it anymore.

Also, actually look at the 2 for £2 deals etc, sometimes you are literally saving 3p, not even worth it if it makes you feel bad. Or start keeping jumpers in your cupboards, then they'll be no space for you shopping and with it all out on the surfaces you'll definately not want to buy anymore!

And make sure you look in all cupbaords before going shopping. Otherwise you can't remember what you have and end up buying stuff you don't need. Depending on the size of your family I reckon 2 tins of whatever is enough for the week, you don't need more.
    LBM January 2017 £9850 debts /// Nov 2017 £4284 paid £5566 to go (42%) DFD June 18

Natwest C/C £250 Rbs O/D £1250 NatWest O/D £1600
    Barclaycard C/C £2050 £1200 Lloyds C/C £4750 £4366

Been in debt for 15yrs, trying to become debt free in 15 months
    • Marisco
    • By Marisco 23rd Jul 10, 12:38 PM
    • 33,060 Posts
    • 98,220 Thanks
    Marisco
    Hi Kitty, online shopping is a good idea, it keeps you in line when you see it mounting up at the bottom Another thing to watch out for is "economy" size packs!! A while back in Tesco they were selling Special K cereal bars in 12 packs - but working it out it was cheaper to buy two 6 packs!! That goes for a lot of items! The generic brands are usually just as good as named brands, the only thing I won't buy is cheap coffee I don't drink tea and I love my coffee (decaff of course) and I've tried cheap coffee and I can tell the difference. Still, a treat now and again keeps things going
    • KittyBoo
    • By KittyBoo 23rd Jul 10, 3:36 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    KittyBoo
    Thanks for your really useful suggestions.
    I'm sure I get the "pantry" thing from my Mum and also reading other sites that promote stockpiling.
    In all the years I have been running a home, I don't think I have ever got to to the last one of anything (and I'm 52 now!).
    I am going to have a good root through the pantry, freezer and cupbards and see what's what.
    Then I'll put an online order in and buy my bread and milk at the local shop.
    That will stop me wandering up and down Tesco's just looking for stuff that's on offer.
    When I take my Mum, I'm leaving my purse at home.
    I might even put that in the freezer and defrost it next week.
    Food
    Petrol £20/£40
    Debt £18,917
    • jwil
    • By jwil 23rd Jul 10, 3:57 PM
    • 9,227 Posts
    • 29,429 Thanks
    jwil
    I'm guilty of this too Kitty. One thing I have tried to remind myself is that the same things go on offer periodically, so don't buy them this time because you have a load already, and then next time you need it it is more than likely going to be on offer again so you can restock then.

Good luck with it!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 23rd Jul 10, 5:07 PM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 13,985 Thanks
    Verbatim
    I think it's mindset. It's hard to convince yourself (myself) that less is more. When in debt the best outcome is spending less NOW. Have you tried a store cupboard/freezer challenge? The idea is to buy nothing if possible and as little as you can if not and live for as long as you can on what you have. Obviously stay within healthy eating guidelines. It's likely to lead to some inventive meals! You could also look at old style for their threads on economical but healthy budgets. One woman lived on 50p a day I think, but always with her 5 a day etc.

I start with working out a meal plan for a month. You can substitute meals during the month but you then know that you have enough food to last a month so don't need to buy ANY, except fresh fruit and veg if you don't have enough frozen, dried, in the garden etc. I froze milk when it was on offer, 2 x 4 pint cartons for £2. I make my own bread and freeze most of the batch for later in the week/month.

If shopping online search for some free delivery codes. Or if shopping in person challenge yourself to stay within the list/sum you've set. I have got to know what the regular things I buy will cost so can work it out before I go. I've been improving my arithmetic by noting down each item and cost with the running total in next column too!

But at times I can drift around a supermarket picking up what looks nice with the best of them.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
    • KittyBoo
    • By KittyBoo 23rd Jul 10, 6:04 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    KittyBoo
    I've just had a good look through my freezer and it's amazing what's in there.
    Lots of veggies, meat from Sunday dinner that I stashed for a rainy day, yorkshire puds.
    I need to look at what needs to bought to get the most out of what I've got.
    Mince seems an obvious choice for chilli, spag bol and shepherds pie.
    I've plenty of onions and tins of tomatoes and beans.
    I'll go and have a look on the old style for some inspiration.
    It's great to have so many options on here.
    Food
    Petrol £20/£40
    Debt £18,917
  • zarazara
    Providing you are not throwing stuff away I cant see how its a problem. I find making my own stuff from scratch is money saving and enjoyavble and gives me satisfaction so I spend less. Try making your own bread,cakes,jam,soups etc.
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness"
    • carolinerunner
    • By carolinerunner 27th Jul 10, 11:15 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 6,188 Thanks
    carolinerunner
    Plan your food for the week!
    Hi,
    I have the same problem but one way I find to get round it is to write a full menu out for the week. Literally. Monday breakfast, Monday lunch (if you have to feed anyone, at home or out) Monday tea etc. Write down exactly what you'll have for each meal, like main course, veg, potatoes, pud, etc. Then you'll be more likely to buy only what you need - eg only a handful of potatoes if only needed for one meal, instead of a whole bag which is much more than you need. Or you'll notice ways you can make things work twice, eg if cooking mince for spag bol and cottage pie, and buy a big pack. Each week try to have a couple of banker meals that are cheap and everyone likes - worth taking some time to work out what these are. Mine are baked potatoes with cheese and beans, and rice with bacon, cheese and peas. Sound dull but my kids love them!

And all the comments are right, the more often you go into a shop, the more often you're getting tempted. Hey, I'm good at the talk, if only I was better at the walk ;-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,668Posts Today

9,756Users online

Martin's Twitter