Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 12th Jul 10, 8:45 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 12th Jul 10, 8:45 PM
    • 12th Jul 10, 8:45 PM
    I cannot see how bread costs so much in the shops.
    Originally posted by zarazara
    Because it can Prices aren't to do with the cost of ingredients only, there's economics and what price the market will stand.
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • ginnyknit
    • By ginnyknit 13th Jul 10, 5:51 PM
    • 3,580 Posts
    • 42,299 Thanks
    ginnyknit
    • 13th Jul 10, 5:51 PM
    • 13th Jul 10, 5:51 PM
    Mainly because they can yes, and they pay a lot less for their flour and pack it full of other unnecessary stuff - people think they cannot live without it and wouldn't go to the trouble of making their own.
    Running on optimism
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z#3 camp fire coffee drinker
    Mantra for 2015 - Leave that purse shut.

• budgeteer
    • By budgeteer 13th Jul 10, 6:04 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 4,308 Thanks
    budgeteer
    • 13th Jul 10, 6:04 PM
    • 13th Jul 10, 6:04 PM
    I try and make four loaves in the oven every two weeks. I use the no knead method and the bread is moist and easy to slice and freeze. We did work it out not long ago, and batch baking them makes it cheaper than shop bought. The loaves are smaller, but my goodness they taste better. zarazara - I agree. What a cheek to charge so much for their rubbish bread.

Just found an interesting link about Industrial bread-making tricks:

http://www.allotment.org.uk/allotment_foods/bread-making/chorleywood-bread-process.php
  • paulwf
    • 13th Jul 10, 6:53 PM
    • 13th Jul 10, 6:53 PM
    Because it can Prices aren't to do with the cost of ingredients only, there's economics and what price the market will stand.
    Originally posted by Penelope Penguin
    Not only are there many and varied production costs but fresh bread will have a certain amount of wastage or yellow stickering (it's actually quite a high amount), plus some may get damaged in transit. Logistics are also different, bread has to be shipped daily and takes up a lot of space whereas flour can be moved around the warehouses as and when and wastage is next to zero.

Supermarket bakeries are sometimes reasonable value...Sainsburys charge 1 for an 800g freshly baked organic malted loaf which is lovely. Doves farm organic malthouse flour costs 1.39 a kilo, sure the 800g of fresh loaf contains water but OTOH by the time I've paid for yeast, sugar and oil plus gas the supermarket is fairly good value.
  • The Thrilla
    • 13th Jul 10, 11:19 PM
    • 13th Jul 10, 11:19 PM
    The price of bread in the supermarkets is an outrage. The French Revolution might not have happened if they had a few branches of Home Bargains in Paris. You can usually find cake in there that is cheaper than bread.
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 13th Jul 10, 11:33 PM
    • 16,678 Posts
    • 48,756 Thanks
    freyasmum
    • 13th Jul 10, 11:33 PM
    • 13th Jul 10, 11:33 PM
    Originally posted by Penelope Penguin
    And the price of all the fancy advertising campaigns
    • gailey
    • By gailey 14th Jul 10, 10:42 AM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 17,249 Thanks
    gailey
    • 14th Jul 10, 10:42 AM
    • 14th Jul 10, 10:42 AM
    I cheat and buy bread mixes lidls do ciabbatta mix for 99p makes 2loafs so 50p each , mix by hand and cook in oven in small bread tin.

I want to try from scratch is is just bread flour , yeast and water.

i think my lidls breadflour was 60p, yeast 37p for 2 7g packs which think pack per loaf but still works out at 50p roughly.

I do try buy bread reduced and freeze
    i prefer whomeal/granary hubby likes white farmhouse.

i do make a mess slicing.

Im intrigued by sourdough where they breed own yeast saw on river cottage
    Also the more artisan /speciality breads dont seem to use tins.

Im also torn on bread nicer cooked daily or batch and frozen.
    pad by xmas2010 14,636.65/20,000:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 15008.02/15,000

new grocery challenge 200/250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON,Onwards and upward2013
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 14th Jul 10, 11:14 AM
    • 6,332 Posts
    • 20,201 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    • 14th Jul 10, 11:14 AM
    • 14th Jul 10, 11:14 AM
    It's cheaper to buy large packs of yeast. I get the Doves Farm yeast which is about 99p. If you use 7g per loaf, there's enough in the pack for 17 loaves. A far sight cheaper than 37p for only two loaves!
    • Larumbelle
    • By Larumbelle 14th Jul 10, 11:48 AM
    • 2,108 Posts
    • 10,578 Thanks
    Larumbelle
    The price of bread in the supermarkets is an outrage. The French Revolution might not have happened if they had a few branches of Home Bargains in Paris. You can usually find cake in there that is cheaper than bread.
    Originally posted by The Thrilla
    Priceless. Thanks Thrilla you have made my day

• paulwf
    It's cheaper to buy large packs of yeast. I get the Doves Farm yeast which is about 99p. If you use 7g per loaf, there's enough in the pack for 17 loaves. A far sight cheaper than 37p for only two loaves!
    Originally posted by Gigervamp
    Agreed, much better than buying yeast in sachets which is much more expensive...taking a teaspoon of yeast from a packet isn't exactly difficult!

I prefer dried yeast that you activate in water with a little sugar first...that way you can check the yeast is working so there is no chance of wasting ingredients. Not that quick yeast has ever let me down yet
    • gailey
    • By gailey 14th Jul 10, 2:00 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 17,249 Thanks
    gailey
    Thanks for that do supermarkets sell it in huge packs.
    Like I say only made bread ready made bread mixes so no yeast required, I brought the sachets for my pizza base making which i find easy enough so want to give bread from scratch a go.

Anyone costed chepest possible cost for loaf of bread.
    pad by xmas2010 14,636.65/20,000:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 15008.02/15,000

new grocery challenge 200/250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON,Onwards and upward2013
    • Bitsy Beans
    • By Bitsy Beans 14th Jul 10, 2:14 PM
    • 9,433 Posts
    • 65,784 Thanks
    Bitsy Beans
    Agreed, much better than buying yeast in sachets which is much more expensive...taking a teaspoon of yeast from a packet isn't exactly difficult!

I prefer dried yeast that you activate in water with a little sugar first...that way you can check the yeast is working so there is no chance of wasting ingredients. Not that quick yeast has ever let me down yet
    Originally posted by paulwf
    Now I've tried the Doves farm yeast and couldn't get it to work. I did contact them and they suggested it could have been related to the fact that their product doesn't contain Vitamin C and the sachets do. Even bought Vit C powder and still couldn't get a decent loaf. For me the sachets are worth it and not because I can't be bothered to take a teaspoon out
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife Louise Brooks

All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.

Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 14th Jul 10, 4:03 PM
    • 5,023 Posts
    • 48,782 Thanks
    meanmarie
    I have recently found a bakery which sells a very nice small loaf for €1.50, would be an 18 mile round trip to get every second day, buy it on Monday as I am near, alternate that with making my own in bread maker....bread flour locally costs about €2.50 for 2 kg, doves farm yeast is about €2, at present my olive oil is free ( importers mix up) and I use 2 tbsps of dried milk powder which is around €4 a kilo....bread is still less than a euro per loaf, which is very good here.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • smileyt
    I'm currently reading a book called 'Bread Matters' by Andrew Whitley who runs his own artisan bakery in North Yorkshire. He tells you exactly what goes into industrialised bread and I can tell you it has certainly put me off!

He also tells you how to make your own sourdoughs to start your own bread off without relying on packet yeast.

I would really recommend this book to anyone who is interested in baking their own bread. I am going to start as soon as my Auntie Flo has been and gone and I have my energy levels back again!

For those of you who bake a lot, you can buy flour in bulk and much cheaper online - including Dove's Farm, I think. You can also buy your own grains and mill/grind them yourself, which apparently works out even cheaper.

Up the revolution!
    Aspire not to have more but to be more.
    Oscar Romero

Still trying to be frugal...
  • skypie123
    I have also just started baking my own bread in the oven and I love it!
    I did find though that plain flour produces better bread than the bread I make with bread-making bread. Which is great because plain flour is sooooo cheap compared to some bread-making flours.
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 14th Jul 10, 7:45 PM
    • 6,332 Posts
    • 20,201 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Thanks for that do supermarkets sell it in huge packs.
    Originally posted by gailey
    I buy mine from Tesco.

Bitsy Beans, never had a problem with Doves Farm yeast, my bread comes out lovely. I wonder what the problem was with yours.

smileyt, I've just bought a grain mill and intend to buy a 20kilo sack of wheat after the harvest because I'd rather store grain than flour (wouldn't want to find weevils in the flour after only using some of it!)

I was reading a blog by Andrew Whitley only last night, over on the Guardian website.
  • smileyt
    I buy mine from Tesco.

Bitsy Beans, never had a problem with Doves Farm yeast, my bread comes out lovely. I wonder what the problem was with yours.

smileyt, I've just bought a grain mill and intend to buy a 20kilo sack of wheat after the harvest because I'd rather store grain than flour (wouldn't want to find weevils in the flour after only using some of it!)

I was reading a blog by Andrew Whitley only last night, over on the Guardian website.
    Ha ha I've just bought a grain mill too! It wasn't the very reduced Lakeland one by any chance, was it? Mine should arrive tomorrow or Friday Can't wait to try it out, I shall be grinding anything I can lay my hands on
    Aspire not to have more but to be more.
    Oscar Romero

Still trying to be frugal...
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 14th Jul 10, 10:20 PM
    • 6,332 Posts
    • 20,201 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Haha, it was indeed that very one!
  • ceridwen
    I buy mine from Tesco.

Ooh...thats a brave lady there...takes hat off to....

I'd be interested to have a report of your progress on here about how to make bread all the way from scratch, ie first mill your own grains.

...goes off scratching head again thinking "I'm sure if I think hard enough I can work out how to store a sack of wheat SOMEWHERE in my little home....."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

1,392Users online

Martin's Twitter