Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • jo101
    • By jo101 6th Jul 10, 1:58 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    jo101
    • 6th Jul 10, 1:58 PM
    • 6th Jul 10, 1:58 PM
    Hi

I come up with some odd combos too when I am trying to use up what I have.

The other day I had such a mish mash on my plate that it reminded me of being on holiday where you pile everything on your plate at an all you can eat buffet.
    Jo
  • rachbc
    • 6th Jul 10, 2:05 PM
    • 6th Jul 10, 2:05 PM
    I have real hangups about this which I know I should get over but I can't! I'd never serve curry with pasta or bolognese with potatoes - I have no idea why as I know it makes no sense but I just can't. For what its worth I think its me who's odd not people who do!
  • longtermlurker
    • 6th Jul 10, 2:13 PM
    • 6th Jul 10, 2:13 PM
    I have real hangups about this which I know I should get over but I can't! I'd never serve curry with pasta or bolognese with potatoes - I have no idea why as I know it makes no sense but I just can't. For what its worth I think its me who's odd not people who do!
    Originally posted by rachbc
    I'm the same. I have to have the right mix of things. All my family love pasta salad made with mayo and salad cream and veg served cold. I just can't eat it as its not right.
    I can't drink water out of a mug either or drink soup out of a mug
    You learn to love to live
    You fight and you forgive
    You face the darkest night
    Just live before you die
    • midnightraven3
    • By midnightraven3 6th Jul 10, 2:27 PM
    • 2,755 Posts
    • 6,691 Thanks
    midnightraven3
    • 6th Jul 10, 2:27 PM
    • 6th Jul 10, 2:27 PM
    longtermlurker

i want to hug you!!!!

i have builders in
    about half an hour ago one went to take a mug and dispense water frm the fridge thingy
    i went "noooooooooooooo" and had a glass in his hand, mug in the dishwasher before he could blink

my daughter said "oh noooooooo you cant drink water from a mug, she wont let you"
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 6th Jul 10, 2:39 PM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 9,447 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    • 6th Jul 10, 2:39 PM
    • 6th Jul 10, 2:39 PM
    On more than one occassion I've found my DH sitting down to toast with Marmite, tuna, baked beans and cheese on it. I'd like to be able to say it was because he was starving and that was all he could find in the cupboard but sadly not - he actually likes that combination! Ewww it makes me feel ill just thinking about it...
  • longtermlurker
    • 6th Jul 10, 2:51 PM
    • 6th Jul 10, 2:51 PM
    longtermlurker

i want to hug you!!!!

i have builders in
    about half an hour ago one went to take a mug and dispense water frm the fridge thingy
    i went "noooooooooooooo" and had a glass in his hand, mug in the dishwasher before he could blink

my daughter said "oh noooooooo you cant drink water from a mug, she wont let you"
    Originally posted by midnightraven3
    Thank goodnes I'm not the only wierdo I can't drink bathroom water either it doesn't taste right

Sorry op for highjacking your thread.
    You learn to love to live
    You fight and you forgive
    You face the darkest night
    Just live before you die
  • debtdesperado
    • 6th Jul 10, 2:58 PM
    • 6th Jul 10, 2:58 PM
    Pre-MSE I used to follow recipes slavishly and that used to generate loads of leftovers... but I didn't have the knowledge to be able to do anything else with them. It was actually cheaper for me to buy ready meals and then there was no waste... (crackers, I know).

Now I am MSE, when I have a load of leftovers, I just think get one more meal out of it - it hasn't got to be delicious, it's just got to fill you up for a few hours and means that you can delay going to the shops for another day!

A complete turnaround!
    • Bronnie
    • By Bronnie 6th Jul 10, 3:04 PM
    • 4,089 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    Bronnie
    • 6th Jul 10, 3:04 PM
    • 6th Jul 10, 3:04 PM
    When you're using up bits and bobs in an MSE old-stylee way, do you ever eat some odd combinations? I often wind up with stuff I wouldn't serve to someone else but happily chow down on myself. E.g. currently eating my lunch - mashed potato, pasta sauce and a boiled kipper.
    Originally posted by wigglebeena
    No! Another one who can't do this either!

Wouldn't waste them either, but would probably make a fishcake with the mash and kipper and the pasta sauce on plain spag with parmesan for another cheap meal.
    • taurusgb
    • By taurusgb 6th Jul 10, 3:32 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 7,366 Thanks
    taurusgb
    I had some left over boiled new potatoes and some left over cooked rice in the fridge last week, so I asked my teenagers who wanted the rice and who wanted the potatoes with salad for lunch? - they argued a bit over who should have what, so I stir fried the rice and potatoes together and they loved it.....and I frequently have whatever is left over from last nights dinner on toast for my lunch - no matter what it is!!
    People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
  • melli
    my lunch today leftover chickpea and chirzo tapas style dish and the last of my potato salad. Not mixed together though
    I'm always eating random left overs, want not waste not etc
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 6th Jul 10, 6:03 PM
    • 1,453 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    I took some macaroni cheese with gammon i've made out the freezer for my dinner tonight, but I still have some mashed carrot/swede/potato from Sunday in the fridge, so I sense a strange mix tonight to use it up. A bubble and squeaky pasta mix...could be quite nice.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
    • juliethemuse
    • By juliethemuse 6th Jul 10, 6:10 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 2,959 Thanks
    juliethemuse
    oh i love leftovers, waste not want not, i'll eat anything, have been known to eat vindaloo for breakfast
    • patchwork cat
    • By patchwork cat 6th Jul 10, 6:37 PM
    • 5,666 Posts
    • 8,762 Thanks
    patchwork cat
    Left over chinese for breakfast, umm. How I got through my childhood without getting food poisoning from the bacteria in the rice not refigerated, I'll never know. It stayed all night in my dad's hostess trolley! To someone who said they don't like bolognaise with potatoes ,that is my favourite way with bolognaise over jackets and chilli and actifry chips is a favourite here. I don't know if I could eat a boiled kipper and past asauce, though, but kudus to Bronnie on the fishcake idea, I hadn't spotted that one.
  • rachbc
    don't get me wrong I hate waste too and I do eat up all my left overs - but if I had spag bol left over I'd cook more pasta to go with it or freeze for another time rather than have it with rice or on toast! Feel a bit better that I'm not the only weirdo.

And so with you on the mugs thing too!!
    • kafkathecat
    • By kafkathecat 6th Jul 10, 8:45 PM
    • 507 Posts
    • 1,344 Thanks
    kafkathecat
    On Monday my friend made lunch from left over stir fried veg, pasta sauce and a bap. It was delicious! K.
    • niksyg
    • By niksyg 6th Jul 10, 8:50 PM
    • 675 Posts
    • 3,566 Thanks
    niksyg
    mmmmm leftover pasta in sauce sandwiches! Carb overload but seriously delicious!

I struggle to serve pasta as a side dish/potato substitute - as in I would really have to be broke with only this in the house to have a piece of meat with veg and then pasta. Pasta needs to be sauced up - even if it'sj ust olive oil, salt and pepper!

Generally I will eat anything though, especially if I am being uber frugal!
    Clearing debt to save for a simple wedding.
    Starting 2016 With debt of 7700
  • pollyskettle
    I make really strong mint jelly and it's lovely in a cheese sandwich or for dipping southern fried chicken in.

Must make some more, have run out and I fancy a cheese sandwich now!

I can't drink water from a mug either
    "A cat can have kittens in the oven, but that don't make them biscuits." - Mary Cooper
    "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" - William Morris
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
  • Caroline73
    Not because it was MSE but because my son (4) is gross - popcorn in marmite.
    Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.
    • Ladyhawk
    • By Ladyhawk 6th Jul 10, 9:42 PM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 13,467 Thanks
    Ladyhawk
    I have real hangups about this which I know I should get over but I can't! I'd never serve curry with pasta or bolognese with potatoes
    Originally posted by rachbc
    This is gorgeous with some cheese on top... go ahead... be daring! Think of it's like of like a decontructed cottage pie.

I can't drink water out of a mug either or drink soup out of a mug
    Originally posted by longtermlurker
    Water definitely tastes weird from a mug!

My strange dinner was paricularly odd tonight but so surprisingly yummy. It started as a chickpea and tomato stew. To which I added some diced tilapia fillet and prawns as I had these defrosted... then I threw in some quorn peices... then I topped with loads of mash from some soft potatoes that I had left in the cupboard.

I could never recreate it!
    Man plans and God laughs...

Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry. But by demonstrating that all people cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it introduces the idea that if we try to understand each other, we may even become friends.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,547Posts Today

9,571Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin