Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • googler
    • By googler 3rd Jul 10, 11:07 AM
    • 15,340Posts
    • 10,094Thanks
    googler
    SAAB CD player designed not to play CDRs?
    • 3rd Jul 10, 11:07 AM
    SAAB CD player designed not to play CDRs? 3rd Jul 10 at 11:07 AM
    I've got a SAAB 9-3 with the factory-fit CD player.

Also in the household are a Smart Car with Grundig CD changer, and a Beetle fitted with an Alpine CD changer.

In the SAAB audio manual, it warns against using home-made CDRs or CDRWs, because these 'may cause overheating' and other problems.

Sure enough, if I take a CDR burned on my PC, or on a stand-alone CD recorder, it will play for 30mins or so, then either fails to read, showing 'CD ERROR 02' on the display, or starts making crackling noises, rendering it unlistenable. Shop-bought, manufactured CDs all play fine.

Similar home-made CDs will play fine on all the home CD machines, the PCs, and on the CD changers in the other two cars

----

Why would this be so, other than SAAB deliberately designing their CD player this way? I've never encountered any other CD player which rejects a CDR in this way.

Thoughts, anyone?
Page 1
  • KillerWatt
    • 3rd Jul 10, 11:12 AM
    • 3rd Jul 10, 11:12 AM
    There are quite a few cars out there with CD players that struggle (or fail completely) to read CDR media, so it isn't just SAAB.

Use branded CDR media (eg, Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, etc) and burn at no more than 4x.
    • googler
    • By googler 3rd Jul 10, 11:25 AM
    • 15,340 Posts
    • 10,094 Thanks
    googler
    • 3rd Jul 10, 11:25 AM
    • 3rd Jul 10, 11:25 AM
    There are quite a few cars out there with CD players that struggle (or fail completely) to read CDR media, so it isn't just SAAB.

Use branded CDR media (eg, Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, etc) and burn at no more than 4x.
    Originally posted by KillerWatt
    I'm using Maxell - do they qualify as 'branded'?
    • HO87
    • By HO87 3rd Jul 10, 11:26 AM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 7,514 Thanks
    HO87
    • 3rd Jul 10, 11:26 AM
    • 3rd Jul 10, 11:26 AM
    Definitely poor quality media rather than anything else. I've been using MP3 discs for a couple of years now and found with my new car that it periodically spat out some of those discs - they were all cheapy unbranded discs. Swapped to Verbatim and TDK and had no problems since.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016).

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
    • googler
    • By googler 3rd Jul 10, 11:27 AM
    • 15,340 Posts
    • 10,094 Thanks
    googler
    • 3rd Jul 10, 11:27 AM
    • 3rd Jul 10, 11:27 AM
    well saab my husband used to work for and lol they are manufactured by ford so really it must be your car playing up hun
    xx
    Originally posted by Lara Tagliamonde
    If it's the car 'playing up' (i.e. a fault in the player), then how did the printed warning about this get into the maker's audio manual?
    • googler
    • By googler 3rd Jul 10, 11:29 AM
    • 15,340 Posts
    • 10,094 Thanks
    googler
    • 3rd Jul 10, 11:29 AM
    • 3rd Jul 10, 11:29 AM
    Definitely poor quality media rather than anything else. I've been using MP3 discs for a couple of years now and found with my new car that it periodically spat out some of those discs - they were all cheapy unbranded discs. Swapped to Verbatim and TDK and had no problems since.
    Originally posted by HO87
    As I say, I'm using Maxell - I would have thought they're on a par with TDK.....?
    • tronator
    • By tronator 3rd Jul 10, 11:38 AM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 1,528 Thanks
    tronator
    • 3rd Jul 10, 11:38 AM
    I'm using Maxell - do they qualify as 'branded'?
    Originally posted by googler
    NO, not in the sense KillerWatt meant. There are only a handfull of manufacturers in the world and all the "brands" like Maxell, TDK, Sony, ... buying from them. The important thing is what's written in the ATIP code of a CD/DVD, not what;s written on the box. You can't be sure that the Maxell you bought today is the same CDR you'll buy in one month. A good source for CDR/DVDR is svp.co.uk. They state the ATIP with every product they sell.

Taiyo Yuden are known as the best on the market, but they don't come cheap. Verbatim (MCC) are good as well.

Edit: Just checked at SVP and they don't seem to state the ATIP code anymore, only the manufacturer. Might be good enough for your purpose...
    Last edited by tronator; 03-07-2010 at 11:41 AM.
    • weegie.geek
    • By weegie.geek 3rd Jul 10, 11:38 AM
    • 3,148 Posts
    • 2,981 Thanks
    weegie.geek
    I'd class TDK as cheap discs too tbh. Verbs are cheap.
    They say it's genetic, they say he can't help it, they say you can catch it - but sometimes you're born with it
    • HO87
    • By HO87 3rd Jul 10, 11:47 AM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 7,514 Thanks
    HO87
    • 3rd Jul 10, 11:47 AM
    • 3rd Jul 10, 11:47 AM
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016).

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
    • Spank
    • By Spank 3rd Jul 10, 11:58 AM
    • 914 Posts
    • 718 Thanks
    Spank
    I don't use CD's any more, but dvd identifier tells me the manufacturing info of my DVD's. This program CDR Media Code Identifier 1.63 1.6.3.0 seems to be the CD equivalent.
    • davester
    • By davester 3rd Jul 10, 12:11 PM
    • 3,842 Posts
    • 3,152 Thanks
    davester
    Apparantly if you link the CD player to the Smart car drive shaft it can travel at a faster speed.
    Survey earnings total 2009 417, 2010 875, 2011 574
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 3rd Jul 10, 12:15 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 2,200 Thanks
    S0litaire
    There's a difference between CDR's and CD's that you buy with music already on them.

CD Albums you buy in HMV are not "burned" but pressed like old Vinyl Records which means they do not react ot being in a CD player (Which gets hot with use)

But CDR's are effected by heat since they have slightly different meterials than the Pressed CDs. So the heat can slightly warm and cause the disk to expand a fraction of a 'mm' or 2, causing the laser to misread the disk, so it then throws up errors.

Usually the cheaper the brand, the more it expands.
    PC drives are usually in larger housings so are slightly cooler and have usually better mechanics in the drive, so they have less of a problem.
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
    • tronator
    • By tronator 3rd Jul 10, 12:34 PM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 1,528 Thanks
    tronator
    As I say, I'm using Maxell - I would have thought they're on a par with TDK.....?
    As written above, there could be anything in it...
    • penrhyn
    • By penrhyn 3rd Jul 10, 1:14 PM
    • 15,006 Posts
    • 8,056 Thanks
    penrhyn
    well saab my husband used to work for and lol they are manufactured by ford so really it must be your car playing up hun
    xx
    I think not, Saabs are rebodied Vauxhalls.
    Now flogged off by GM to Spyker
    OP You are not making MP3 by any chance by mistake.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
    • adouglasmhor
    • By adouglasmhor 3rd Jul 10, 1:21 PM
    • 14,571 Posts
    • 21,365 Thanks
    adouglasmhor
    xx
    They are manufactured by GM.

Beat me to it Penrhyn
    Last edited by adouglasmhor; 03-07-2010 at 1:23 PM.
    • adouglasmhor
    • By adouglasmhor 3rd Jul 10, 1:24 PM
    • 14,571 Posts
    • 21,365 Thanks
    adouglasmhor
    Stick a half decent aftermarket player in it and flog the old one on ebay.
    • googler
    • By googler 3rd Jul 10, 1:43 PM
    • 15,340 Posts
    • 10,094 Thanks
    googler
    But CDR's are effected by heat since they have slightly different meterials than the Pressed CDs. So the heat can slightly warm and cause the disk to expand a fraction of a 'mm' or 2, causing the laser to misread the disk, so it then throws up errors.

Usually the cheaper the brand, the more it expands.
    PC drives are usually in larger housings so are slightly cooler and have usually better mechanics in the drive, so they have less of a problem.
    Originally posted by S0litaire
    So, essentially, SAAB (or their badge-engineered audio manufacturer) has deliberately made the unit with less tolerance than any of the other CD players, and has specifically warned against using these discs in the player.

Wonder why they would do this?
    • googler
    • By googler 3rd Jul 10, 1:45 PM
    • 15,340 Posts
    • 10,094 Thanks
    googler
    OP You are not making MP3 by any chance by mistake.
    Originally posted by penrhyn
    Oh, please......

No. I'm not. I know the difference between a Red Book CD and an mp3 data disc, thank you very much.
    • googler
    • By googler 3rd Jul 10, 1:50 PM
    • 15,340 Posts
    • 10,094 Thanks
    googler
    Stick a half decent aftermarket player in it and flog the old one on ebay.
    Originally posted by adouglasmhor
    Not practical.

The audio unit is tied in to a separate display, and to the wheel-mounted controls, and seems to be unique to SAAB/GM.

Also, unless the audio unit is 'divorced' from the car with the workshop Tech 1 unit, it won't work in another 9-3, where it gets 'married' to the new car, again with Tech 1. So I'd need to visit the dealer to get it removed, and the buyer would need to do same to get it fitted.
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 3rd Jul 10, 2:07 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 2,200 Thanks
    S0litaire
    So, essentially, SAAB (or their badge-engineered audio manufacturer) has deliberately made the unit with less tolerance than any of the other CD players, and has specifically warned against using these discs in the player.

Wonder why they would do this?
    They didn't make it specifically to foul up CDRs it's just plain physics, heat generated by most players effects CDRs more than Pressed Album CDs. They are just covering their legal @$$'s ^_^
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

541Posts Today

6,117Users online

Martin's Twitter