Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • mandragora
    • By mandragora 23rd Jun 10, 10:02 PM
    • 2,555 Posts
    • 4,751 Thanks
    mandragora
    • 23rd Jun 10, 10:02 PM
    • 23rd Jun 10, 10:02 PM
    Honest? If I'm here by myself?

Nope. Scrambled eggs on toast; a vat of veggie curry and eat it all week; lunch in the canteen and graze all evening; a M&S meal deal made to last three nights; wine and chocolate biscuits. All of these have served as tea whenever the rest of them are away.

I love it. Don't expect I'd live like it all the time if it was just me, but I couldn't guarantee it
    Last edited by mandragora; 24-06-2010 at 8:05 PM.
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • babs2008
    • 23rd Jun 10, 10:07 PM
    • 23rd Jun 10, 10:07 PM
    I dont meal plan. I find it hard to meal plan as I always fancy something different to eat depending on my mood, the weather, how hungry I am...

I try to plan my lunches to take to work, but that's as far as it goes really.

I do cook a lot from scratch though, and always have extra portions in my freezer. (I tend not to want to eat the same thing day after day.)
    Looking forward to the future.
  • velocitykid
    • 23rd Jun 10, 11:39 PM
    • 23rd Jun 10, 11:39 PM
    I should but I don't
  • elfen
    • 23rd Jun 10, 11:44 PM
    • 23rd Jun 10, 11:44 PM
    I do, I cook more up and freeze it. At the moment there's chicken korma, HM turkey burgers, HM beef burgers, gammon and pork waiting to be cooked (in the freezer) There's also a ton of veg and some chicken - I'll be mainly using the chicken and burgers as the basis for salad based meals.
    ** Total debt: 6950.82 May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
  • Material Girl
    • 23rd Jun 10, 11:45 PM
    • 23rd Jun 10, 11:45 PM
    I don't. I take lunches to work but I do have staple foods and always manage to throw something together with what I have or shop for food on my way home from work. Not sure if it's more expensive then meal planning but I'm not very good at meal planning and don't always rememeber to take food out of the freezer. So I just make it up as I go along and as long as I eat healthily enough, I don't worry about it.
  • GEEGEE8
    • 23rd Jun 10, 11:47 PM
    • 23rd Jun 10, 11:47 PM
    I never have the enthusiasm to do it.. I would love to, but it seems so pointless with no-one to do it with lol..
    • Kirri
    • By Kirri 23rd Jun 10, 11:58 PM
    • 6,124 Posts
    • 20,675 Thanks
    Kirri
    • 23rd Jun 10, 11:58 PM
    • 23rd Jun 10, 11:58 PM
    No, I just eat whatever I have grown veg wise and base a meal around it from store cupboard basics and frozen Quorn/tofu. If necessary I'll eat the same thing for multiple days in a row. I can't see what I'd gain from planning my meals a week in advance? I'd probably end up buying more if I was trying to do specific and varied recipes!
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 24th Jun 10, 8:49 AM
    • 1,453 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    • 24th Jun 10, 8:49 AM
    • 24th Jun 10, 8:49 AM
    I do, but don't always stick to it and find it hard to plan for weekends or days where I may be away.

If I really don't fancy what i've planned, it can usually be moved around as I tend to make things in advance and freeze them, so one more day won't make a lot of difference. The main problem I find is ending up with more food after i've planned as doing say, a simple pasta bake then creates 3-4 meals that I need to find space for!
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 24th Jun 10, 9:21 AM
    • 10,702 Posts
    • 9,563 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    I'd tend to cook up batches of stuff eg pasta sauces,paella,stews and freeze it in tupperware boxes. That way you get a good meal and dont eat sh%te.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • rmiller
    I do. I was curious at how much money I was spending by buying stuff each night for dinners. As I didn't meal plan I didn't bother gonig to the shop for a 'weekly shop' so didn't buy much for lunches either which meant I bought them nearly everyday.

I did a test and in Month 1 (where I didn't meal plan or go 'weekly' food shopping) I spent twice as much as I did than in Month 2 (when I did meal plan and do a weekly shop).

It was so easy. As I don't have a car, I had the food delivered.

I saved 350 over the last year by doing this so I'm off Switerzland as a treat!
    • Kirri
    • By Kirri 24th Jun 10, 12:56 PM
    • 6,124 Posts
    • 20,675 Thanks
    Kirri
    I do. I was curious at how much money I was spending by buying stuff each night for dinners. As I didn't meal plan I didn't bother gonig to the shop for a 'weekly shop' so didn't buy much for lunches either which meant I bought them nearly everyday.

I did a test and in Month 1 (where I didn't meal plan or go 'weekly' food shopping) I spent twice as much as I did than in Month 2 (when I did meal plan and do a weekly shop).

It was so easy. As I don't have a car, I had the food delivered.

I saved 350 over the last year by doing this so I'm off Switerzland as a treat!
    Originally posted by rmiller
    That's quite an inspiring amount to have saved and nice to have a treat for it!

Although I don't do a set meal plan, I have changed over to one weekly shop at a set budget and that has saved me a lot of money over daily shopping/seeing things I might fancy, so in that respect I guess I do plan a bit as I have to decide before the weekly shop what I actually need (and not want!) ie to replace store cupboard ingredients for that week. I just don't plan the meals. Like you from early calculations, I was probably spending double before I changed to a weekly shop!
  • greenval
    I do't meal plan as such but do batch cook for the freezer so there's always a reasonable choice there and then just take things out as I need it.
  • GEEGEE8
    I need to start meal planning then it seems. I usually end up eating crap that I don't really enjoy.

I think if I had meals in the freezer I could take it out in the morning and let it defrost
    • alwaysonthego
    • By alwaysonthego 24th Jun 10, 5:38 PM
    • 7,915 Posts
    • 10,749 Thanks
    alwaysonthego
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • MrsE
    I should but I don't
    Originally posted by velocitykid
    DD has left home & its just the two of us. I still meal plan, but I don't think I would for one - what we all mean is we wouldn't "bother" if it was just for us. But on Sundays I think, do we really need a joint just for 2
    • nuttybabe
    • By nuttybabe 24th Jun 10, 8:51 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 20,755 Thanks
    nuttybabe
    When i first lived alone i didnt meal plan. I used to buy a big sack of potatos and a few loafs of bread (27p a loaf i believe!!!) and have chip buttys as that was all i could afford. if i had spare money i would buy junk for the freezer and just see what i fancied that night. BUT I am a changed person. If i was living alone now i think i would spend a day a month batch cooking different meals and freezing them so i could have a decent healthy meal every night. Maybe not meal plan but provide lots of choice and all made from scratch!!
    • CupOfChai
    • By CupOfChai 24th Jun 10, 9:12 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 7,295 Thanks
    CupOfChai
    I TOTALLY meal plan just for me, almost never have for anyone else! I struggle to function if I don't, as I end up staring at the cupboard unable to decide what to make, spending ages longer in the supermarket wondering what things to buy, forgetting to defrost things I want to use, wasting food as it's gone off before I got round to using it etc.

I too freeze the extra of things when you end up making more than you need for one meal, so I'm not eating the same thing for about four days, and I do batch cook and freeze. Don't really have the problem others talk about where you don't want what you've planned, but then I love my food and by mealtime will eat whatever I'm having, often I look forward to the meal I know I'm having that night or another day.

In fact, sometimes when I have guests I get a little bit annoyed that I have to see what they want and can't meal plan it in with the rest of my week!
    • CCP
    • By CCP 24th Jun 10, 9:51 PM
    • 4,599 Posts
    • 92,841 Thanks
    CCP
    I mealplan just for me, and always have - when I first started living on my own money was so tight that I had to do plans, so I could work out what I could afford to buy. I'm not nearly as short of money now but I still do meal plans, partly out of habit and partly because it stops me wasting food - if I buy an aubergine, for example, I plan several aubergine-based meals so I don't end up throwing part of it away.

I admire people who can eat the same thing several days in a row - I have a very low boredom threshold and could never do it myself! As I say, I will do several meals around one ingredient, or cook up a batch of something and freeze it for another time, and always allow myself a bit of flexibility so if I really don't fancy what I've planned I can have something else (usually made with the same main ingredient, though - if I've planned prawn stir-fry, for example, but fancy a curry, that's fine - it just has to be a prawn curry ).

I can understand why not everyone does this, but it suits me, and tbh I rather enjoy mealplanning.
    • dronid
    • By dronid 24th Jun 10, 10:04 PM
    • 581 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    dronid
    If you want to save money, yes. When I was single I did. If you do and batch cook for yourself you can save a lot. It's easier if you're on your own too. You don't have to plan with as much focus so long as you know what you can do with the ingredients. Now I meal plan in the sense that I say I have mince so I know a variety of things I can do with it. I do one of them and then have meals for the future. I do that a few times and then I have meals I can pick out of the freezer for a month.

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

Current debt 7000 - loan. And a 4000 pound overdraft. That didn't work, did it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,767Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin