Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • af20001
    • By af20001 19th Apr 04, 8:43 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 6Thanks
    af20001
    Home energy grants
    • 19th Apr 04, 8:43 PM
    Home energy grants 19th Apr 04 at 8:43 PM
    Just recently got a grant of 140 for cavity wall insulation, which leaves us 219 to pay.

The great thing is the body dishing out the grants pays for all the work up front, and then gives you an interest free loan to pay back the balance - they have offered us an interest free loan of up to 36 months(!) to pay them the 219.

So we should save between 75 - 100 pounds a year on our gas bill, whilst earning interest on the money set aside to pay for the work.

I believe you get bigger grants if you are on benefits or are pensioners.
Page 1
    • Fran
    • By Fran 20th Apr 04, 1:25 AM
    • 11,017 Posts
    • 6,469 Thanks
    Fran
    • 20th Apr 04, 1:25 AM
    Re: Home energy grants
    • 20th Apr 04, 1:25 AM
    These two sites have info about the Home Energy Efficiency Schemes for Wales and England (don't know what happens elsewhere).

http://www.eaga.co.uk/Grants%20available/hees_wales.html

http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/energy/hees/
    • Woby_Tide
    • By Woby_Tide 20th Apr 04, 1:11 PM
    • 5,202 Posts
    • 1,965 Thanks
    Woby_Tide
    • 20th Apr 04, 1:11 PM
    • 20th Apr 04, 1:11 PM
    Grants only seem to be available if you are on certain benefits

Households, with children under the age of 16, in receipt of an income-related benefit;
    Pregnant women, who receive an income-related benefit and have a MAT B1 certificate provided by their doctor;
    Households who receive a disability benefit.
    Households who are over 60 and receive an income-related benefit.
    • mutley74
    • By mutley74 20th Apr 04, 2:21 PM
    • 3,835 Posts
    • 1,351 Thanks
    mutley74
    • 20th Apr 04, 2:21 PM
    • 20th Apr 04, 2:21 PM
    over a month ago we were offered a grant for cavity wall insulation, at a cost of 150 for a 3bed semi, with grant from british gas, and we are not on benefits.

try www.house.co.uk which i think is BG website for domestic. Plus ring a few local insulation people and ask them about grants, as energy providers have to provide grants to cut down energy usage as part of the CO2 reduction initiative ( think i am right, correct me if i am wrong)
    • mutley74
    • By mutley74 20th Apr 04, 2:24 PM
    • 3,835 Posts
    • 1,351 Thanks
    mutley74
    • 20th Apr 04, 2:24 PM
    • 20th Apr 04, 2:24 PM
    BG must have changed the offer but here is a link for free insulation if u buy a boiler from them...but pester your local insulation people about discounts & grants

click here
    • af20001
    • By af20001 20th Apr 04, 3:50 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    af20001
    • 20th Apr 04, 3:50 PM
    • 20th Apr 04, 3:50 PM
    You can search here for grants in your area:

http://www.saveenergy.co.uk/gid/

We do not get any benefits, but still received a 140 grant.
  • Darryl
    • 23rd Apr 04, 6:36 PM
    • 23rd Apr 04, 6:36 PM
    Have you also heard about the Big Green Boiler Scheme?

Details here: http://www.green-boilers.com

While the website seems to suggest this scheme is only available to those in the Thames Valley-ish area of the UK, it is in fact available across the UK!

If you are about to get a new boiler for your house, you can get a voucher for a high-efficiency boiler that typically makes it cost no more than a normal boiler! So, for the same cost, you'll get a boiler that is something like 90%+ efficient, rather than your typical 78%+; meaning that 90p in every pound you spend on energy (e.g. gas, etc) to power your boiler, gets converted into heat, rather than being blown out of the boiler flue!

You may also find that you have your own local energy saving advice centre that can also offer such discount vouchers. In fact, I've just found that my local centre (covering Cheshire and Merseyside) can discount the cost of the new boiler I want more than the Big Green Boiler Scheme! So, it's worth investigating if you have the time. My local energy advice centre details are at: http://www.epplus.org/main.htm

You can find yours at http://www.saveenergy.co.uk/howto/eeacs.cfm
    or by calling 0800 512 012.

Darryl.

P.S: You don't need to be eligible for a grant to qualify for this scheme. Anyone can get a discount voucher.
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 25th Apr 04, 10:12 AM
    • 5,751 Posts
    • 3,697 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    • 25th Apr 04, 10:12 AM
    • 25th Apr 04, 10:12 AM
    In Scotland, a company called "Everwarm" do grant jobs for central Heating and cavity wall insulation. If you contact them they may be able to advise on availability and form filling etc.
  • Spikey
    • 26th Apr 04, 2:24 AM
    • 26th Apr 04, 2:24 AM
    anybody know anything about grants to replace old windows?

Spikey
  • archived user
    Re: Home energy grants Windows
    Replacing windows from an energy efficiency viewpoint is rarely cost effective. The typical saving is aroung 10% of energy, and the payback period is measured in decades.
    If you do replace windows, they will probably be those that now have an emissivity coating, unless the property is listed etc.
    Sometimes, EAGA may install draftproofing, but not advisable on old Crittall windows, as they stick.
  • exmodel
    "While the website seems to suggest this scheme is only available to those in the Thames Valley-ish area of the UK, it is in fact available across the UK!"

Well, Daryl I went to the website you mentioned and it doesn't seems to cover where I live which is East Sussex? So how can I get one of these boiler grants?
  • raeble
    Go to the save energy website and see if there are any available in your area. They should also have the number for your local energy efficiency office which will be able to give you further information.
    http://www.saveenergy.co.uk/gid/
  • exmodel
    i did go to the site you suggested and still no outright boiler grants available. Only BG offering a discounted price match for their condenser boilers
  • Darryl
    Exmodel

1. I know the Green Boilers website is not up-to-date. So it only refers to the Thames Valley area, and not the UK as a whole. But the scheme is nationwide.

2. There are no boiler 'grants' available. But local energy advice centres do offer a discount voucher scheme for energy efficient boilers. You have to phone them to find out.

Your best bet is to call 0800 512 012 and you will be given details of your local energy advice centre (I think this number puts you straight though to them).

Ask if they operate a energy efficient boiler discount voucher scheme, like the Big Green Boilers scheme. This is not a grant, as such, just a discount scheme offered by local (usually council-linked) energy advice centres. The Green Boiler scheme is nationwide, so you will get the discounts it offers at the very least. And from my own experience, this will definitely be a lot cheaper than British Gas - especially when you also factor in their installation charge!

After a quick google search I found that East Sussex council supports the Green Boiler scheme (you can call the council !Energy Officer on 01273 474968 for more info)

The Surrey and East Sussex Energy Advice centre direct line number is 020 7922 1668.

Hope this helps

Darryl.
  • exmodel
    Thanks heaps Darryl...I will give them a call at some point today to find out what is best for me.
  • english-setter
    Does anyone know of an insulation grant if you HAVEN'T got a cavity wall (other than roof of course) :-[?
  • sasso
    Dear Darryl and exmodel,
    Thanks Darryl for the comprehensive summary.

I can confirm that the Big Green Boiler scheme

www.green-boilers.co.uk

is available nationally and it is a discount scheme not a grant and you can get a high effciency A Rated boiler at very substantial savings (up to 50% off list price depending upon model).

We are not for profit - we care about the environment -

also check out our sister scheme

www.green-insulation.co.uk

(half price insulation or free if you are on certain benefits - again its aimed at Thames Valley but is in fact avaiable nationally)

and also
    www.tvec.org.uk
    (thats us)

Sorry for referring Martin but as we're not for profit, we're saving the planet (we'll we are helping a bit anyway...) and its a direct answer to another question I thought it'd be OK.......
  • Sarahsaver
    Warm Front installed insulation around windows in my house, draught excluders etc. They told me that they DO install boilers or mend your boiler if it is serviceable, only IF THE BOILER IS BROKEN!!!!! :-[
    So if id have been dishonest and willing to freeze my kids and myself in the winter i could have got my 25 year old leaky boiler replaced!!! But in their opinion if it works at all they dont need to do anything.
    Spikey your local authority may offer grants for new windows, but i know that sort of thing has been cut back a lot. Get in touch with your council. Mine does household repairs at cost price or very reduced rate if you are on certain benefits, ask if your council does a similar scheme.
  • archived user
    Any information for the Scottish area ?
  • bridiej
    We had our cavity wall done last year (I think it was through London Electric?) and it only cost us 50.

AND we are not on any benefits etc, just normal, hardworking taxpayers.

Nice to get a cheap deal once in a while!

Anyway, I suggest you give them a try - they had an offer on loft insulation as well but ours is fine..

Good luck!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,238Posts Today

7,764Users online

Martin's Twitter