Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • furball
    • By furball 24th Jul 07, 5:06 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 3,761 Thanks
    furball
    • 24th Jul 07, 5:06 PM
    • 24th Jul 07, 5:06 PM
    can someone please tell me where i can get address of skipton mortgages. Thankyou
  • moz123
    • 4th Sep 07, 9:46 AM
    • 4th Sep 07, 9:46 AM
    my mortgage is going up .i was geting 4.6 fix for 5 years but it now come to the end of 5 years. were can i get the best rate of mortgage.
  • AjP
    • 6th Jan 08, 7:40 PM
    Site Down
    • 6th Jan 08, 7:40 PM
    The Site that the mortgage guide is on seems to be down. Will anyone email me a copy or is there another pllace I can download it?
  • Sev
    • 22nd Mar 08, 11:54 AM
    Self Build Mortgages
    • 22nd Mar 08, 11:54 AM
    We are looking into self build mortgages and have come accross an Accelerator Morgage from Buildstore, it would solve a lot of problems with bridging loans etc, but are we on to a good thing or not? We are first time buyers looking into building on land owned by family and have no experience of mortgages at all. Help!
    • jem16
    • By jem16 22nd Mar 08, 12:18 PM
    • 18,711 Posts
    • 11,522 Thanks
    jem16
    • 22nd Mar 08, 12:18 PM
    • 22nd Mar 08, 12:18 PM
    my mortgage is going up .i was geting 4.6 fix for 5 years but it now come to the end of 5 years. were can i get the best rate of mortgage.
    Originally posted by moz123
    Try using this site;

http://www.moneyfacts.co.uk/

or a broker.
  • homer_j
    • 22nd Mar 08, 1:12 PM
    • 22nd Mar 08, 1:12 PM
    can someone please tell me where i can get address of skipton mortgages. Thankyou
    Originally posted by furball
    Try the website or if you are lazy

The Bailey
    Skipton
    N Yorks
    BD23 1DN

Just downloaded it and you need to put your Name and Address - There is no verification so you can put anything in here if you do not want to submit your actual details.

Martin, well done for reiterating the Whole of Market loophole, However, by suggesting that people ask “Could you, right
    now, source a mortgage for me from any available UK mortgage lender?”

You need to ask "Can you access every lender that will do business with a mortgage intermediary?"
    Last edited by homer_j; 22-03-2008 at 1:51 PM.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • JayD
    • By JayD 25th Jun 08, 9:09 AM
    • 543 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    JayD
    • 25th Jun 08, 9:09 AM
    • 25th Jun 08, 9:09 AM
    I just want to say that I am NOT AT ALL HAPPY that in order to download the pdf version of this FREE mortgage guide I have to give my personal details.

Obviously it is necessary if you are requesting a printed copy to be sent to you but quite unnecessary if you only want to download the pdf.

I can see no reason why I would need to do this to download the pdf version.
    I have never been asked to provide these details when downloading other free pdfs and I don't intend to do so now.
    Last edited by JayD; 25-06-2008 at 9:10 AM. Reason: spelling error
  • _Andy_
    • 25th Jun 08, 9:15 AM
    • 25th Jun 08, 9:15 AM
    Just put in duff details then.
    • payless
    • By payless 25th Jun 08, 9:53 AM
    • 6,591 Posts
    • 2,348 Thanks
    payless
    Just put in duff details then.
    Originally posted by _Andy_

Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • Snazbaz
    Saved a packet!
    About 2 years ago I downloaded the Mortgage Guide as our 5 year fixed rate was soon coming to an end. After carefully reading it we decided to go for an offset savings account. We took out the offset over 15 years and our building society advised we would avoid paying any penalities as long as we did not pay off the mortgage within a year of taking out the offset.

We cashed in our savings, and a few shares (which weren't doing much anyway), and continued to put any spare cash we had (which we gained by following Martin's other tips) into our offset account. We also used the offset to 'store' money that we knew we would need to withdraw later.

By the end of 18 months we had paid off our mortgage entirely - 13 years early and with a saving of over £22,000 interest. This has happily had a huge impact on our finances, especially in the current financial climate. Thanks Martin!
    • SmileyG
    • By SmileyG 21st Jan 09, 7:04 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 957 Thanks
    SmileyG
    Bump this up the Mortgages and Endowments board
    Target acheived: Mortgage offset in June 2012!
    Mortgage = -£98
    Endowment = £0
    Investments = £40,247
    Deficit / Surplus = £40,149(at 22/09/2017)
    "Don't spend then save, save then spend!"
  • bazaoyaki
    Joining this forum for the first time, I'm rather confused about mortgage overpayment. I have a HSBC fixed rate mortage (5.95%) coming to an end in MArch, which will then switch to bank standard variable rate (currently 3.94%) automatically. It also means that I'll be free to make any amount of overpayment starting from April.
    Two questions:
    1.Should I make overpayment as much as I can afford after April, given the current climate (low savings rate), or is it better to put it in savings (about 4%) for a period a time and make lump sum payment later?
    2. In general, is it better to overpay mortgage when the mortgage is high or low? (not sure if it's a valid question, but I am just thinking whether I should save till the standard variable mortage rate goes up, and then pay a lump sum). Does that make sense?

Thanks!
  • Davofish
    It's not a case of how high or low interest rates are, it's the difference between the savings rate and the rate on your mortgage that is important.

In your example, it is neither here nor there as the two are practically the same, although you may have to pay tax on your savings remember.

If you can get hold of a savings rate which is higher than your mortgage rate then it might be appropriate to put your cash in the bank for a while.

If you have a reasonable amount to invest, consider an offset mortgage which is really tax efficient.
  • firsttimebuyer3117
    Afternoon,

This is my first time to the forum. I've just requested the mortgage guide but noticed now that from feb 2009 it won't be up-to-date. Is there a date scheduled for it's update?

Also - as a first time buyer I'm finding that I'm getting some conflicting advise and wondered if anyone could add some clarity for me. Myself and my partner are thinking of buying and were told most recently from a mortgage advisor that because of the way the mortgage marketing is working that we should actually put in an offer on a property (baring in mind what we could be lent) before we lock down a mortgage deal. Does this sound right?

Secondly because of the way the market is at the moment is there a better type of mortgage that we should be looking at? And as one of us is still in a probationary period at a new job will this affect are chances of getting a mortgage?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    • claralou
    • By claralou 5th May 09, 7:00 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    claralou
    If you have a reasonable amount to invest, consider an offset mortgage which is really tax efficient.
    Originally posted by Davofish
    We're considering an offset mortgage.... Regards your comment above, Davofish, do you have a rule of thumb amount that you would consider 'reasonable amount to invest' that makes an offset mortgage worth looking into?

Thanks
  • hawkinspete
    download not working
    Is anyone else having problems getting the PDF? I have been trying for the last few days and nothing happens. I am after the first time mortgage PDF. Does anyone already have this, is it of an emailable size ie less than 10Mb.

Many thanks
  • rodman
    cant see the link to download the pdf
  • beecher
    cant see the link to download the pdf
    Originally posted by rodman
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/mortgage-guide
  • Teggy100
    Some advice from those more intelligent than me!!?
    Hi guys.. my first post so please excuse me if I don't get the forum etiquette quite right.

I wanted some advice.. here is my situation.

I am currently living mortgage-free in a house worth approx. £170000
    I have just inherited £60000 from a relative

I have found a house that I really want to buy which is priced at £256000

Obviously there is a 26000 shortfall from being able to be totally mortgage free, but the bigger snag is this:
    The property I want to buy is a reposession and as such the bank want a quick contract exchange.. My house is not currently on the market and so selling quickly is impossible (and probably would be even if it were for sale in this market!!!).. so can anyone give me any options for raising the money quickly?

I have been lucky enough to reach 30 and be totally mortgage free so I know nothing about the process. Renting my house seemed like an option but again, takes quite a while and I don't know how mortgage companies view the financing on a rental property.. i'd prefer to raise a mortgage against my existing house rather than the new one.

What are bridging loans?

Sorry to sound dense.. but... well, in matters like this.. I am!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

41Posts Today

2,666Users online

Martin's Twitter