Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 22nd Jun 10, 10:58 AM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    Emergency Budget: tax cuts for low and middle income earners
    • 22nd Jun 10, 10:58 AM
    Emergency Budget: tax cuts for low and middle income earners 22nd Jun 10 at 10:58 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

Read the full story:

Last edited by MSE Guy; 22-06-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Page 1
    • blued
    • By blued 23rd Jun 10, 2:18 PM
    • 685 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    blued
    • 23rd Jun 10, 2:18 PM
    • 23rd Jun 10, 2:18 PM
    From next April, taxpayers will also pay an additional one percentage point in national insurance, which will cost someone earning 30,000 a year approximately 250. This was announced last year by the previous Labour administration.
    I thought they were scrapping this altogether?
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 23rd Jun 10, 3:33 PM
    • 4,381 Posts
    • 3,920 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 23rd Jun 10, 3:33 PM
    • 23rd Jun 10, 3:33 PM
    Despite Mr Cameron more or less saying so in the TV debates he then decided not to increase the employers contributions but left the increase to the employees contributions.
  • Captain Moonshine
    • 24th Jun 10, 12:15 PM
    Lowest paid hit hardest.
    • 24th Jun 10, 12:15 PM
    As usual, the lowest paid get hit the most. The rise in basic allowance will be almost wiped out by the increase in National Insurance, and the remainder will be taken up by the VAT increase.

I thought the Tories were opposed to Labour's increase in N.I. It seems they were only opposed to the employers having to pay more. Surprise, surprise!
    • blued
    • By blued 24th Jun 10, 1:19 PM
    • 685 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    blued
    • 24th Jun 10, 1:19 PM
    • 24th Jun 10, 1:19 PM
    Try the BBC Budget Calculator

I played about with various salaries and unless you are on more than 40k you will be better off.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10335476.stm

I'm sick of hearing that the lowest paid will be worse off to be honest. A 35 year old earning 10k will be 245 better off. If it was 20k then 216 better off, 30k would be 116 better off.

I have no gripe with the VAT increase, finally a tax rise that EVERYONE will have to pay for to help pay for the debt our last government left. Not just the motorist, or those who like an occasional drink, or the smokers (I dont smoke), etc.
    • THRIFTY GIRL
    • By THRIFTY GIRL 24th Jun 10, 1:48 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 688 Thanks
    THRIFTY GIRL
    • 24th Jun 10, 1:48 PM
    • 24th Jun 10, 1:48 PM
    As usual, the lowest paid get hit the most. The rise in basic allowance will be almost wiped out by the increase in National Insurance, and the remainder will be taken up by the VAT increase.

I thought the Tories were opposed to Labour's increase in N.I. It seems they were only opposed to the employers having to pay more. Surprise, surprise!
    Originally posted by Captain Moonshine
    NO, NO, NO, The lowest paid do not get hit the most. I too,like the previous poster am a little fed up with the emphasis on low earners whilst middle earners are being clobbered with everything that comes their way.

I am not in favour of the harsh cutbacks but please consider the average person/family in this situation and do not imply that the poorer sections of society are the only ones hard hit.

As the ConDem coalition has said 'we are in this together'. We have been ConDemmed. Bunch of jokers think they can do anything and still think its ok to blame the outgoing administration. Have they fogotten what happened in 1990?
    MFiT - T2 # 64start date: 1.7.09 MFW end date: 31.10.17
    Start balance: 205,746.51 Month 18/100..paid 13.50%
    Current balance: 177,977.07 (updated 18.12.10)
    Target 12.12.12: From 194,000 to 140,000
    MFI-3 reductions: 16,023/54,000 achieved (29.67%)
  • Captain Moonshine
    • 24th Jun 10, 4:26 PM
    • 24th Jun 10, 4:26 PM
    Unless I am reading it wrong, I will save 170 a year in income tax, but will pay an extra 125 a year in national insurance. That leaves me 45 a year better off. However, with the VAT increase the price of just about everything will rise considerably. The increase in VAT on road fuel alone will cost me an extra 13 a year assuming no price rises in the meantime, which is highly unlikely.

Like many others, I have had no increase in my pay since January 2007, but have seen my essentials (food, gas, electricity, rent, council tax, and water) increase by a total of over 150 a month since then, despite my efforts to cut back as much as possible.

Unlike most middle and higher income earners, I have no reserves to fall back on. I simply don't earn enough to put anything by.

I have debts that I cannot pay, from a time when I was better off. If I could get a job paying 30,000 a year I could clear them by Christmas, easily.

I work bl**dy hard for what little I do get, and I am fed up with people who already have more money than I can even dream about whinging about how badly off they will be. They can afford it, I can't! If any middle income earner wants to swap places with me for a year, I would be more than willing to give it a try. Any takers?
  • artha
    • 24th Jun 10, 7:28 PM
    • 24th Jun 10, 7:28 PM
    NO, NO, NO, The lowest paid do not get hit the most. I too,like the previous poster am a little fed up with the emphasis on low earners whilst middle earners are being clobbered with everything that comes their way.

I am not in favour of the harsh cutbacks but please consider the average person/family in this situation and do not imply that the poorer sections of society are the only ones hard hit.

As the ConDem coalition has said 'we are in this together'. We have been ConDemmed. Bunch of jokers think they can do anything and still think its ok to blame the outgoing administration. Have they fogotten what happened in 1990?
    Originally posted by THRIFTY GIRL
    I've been around long enough now to get used to every change in Government claiming that the "The nations finances are in a mess and it's the fault of the outgoing government. Blame them when we have to take immediate action that hurts"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

688Posts Today

6,046Users online

Martin's Twitter