Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ksh123
    • By ksh123 21st May 05, 9:18 AM
    • 1,229Posts
    • 750Thanks
    ksh123
    brown (malt) vinegar will not stain your clothes!
    • 21st May 05, 9:18 AM
    brown (malt) vinegar will not stain your clothes! 21st May 05 at 9:18 AM
    I have read in lots of threads that people are afraid of using brown vinegar for the conditioning rinse in their washer - especially for white things.
    Well I find it almost impossible to buy white vinegar in money saving quantities and have always used brown. And, as I sit here in my sparkling whites a la soap powder advert, I can tell you that it certainly doesn't stain - not at 40 or 50 degrees anyway which are the hottest wash temps I use.
    So I just thought I would put your minds at rest on that score.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Deborah; 22-06-2010 at 9:03 PM.
Page 1
  • Queenie
    • 21st May 05, 10:19 AM
    • 21st May 05, 10:19 AM
    I've resorted to malt at times too - I always dilute it so never have any problems.
    I prefer to use white though ... especially as my youngest likes to have a bit of dinner with his vinegar! (Think it must be a family trait; my eldest brother used to have a swig at the malt vinegar bottle when he was a lad too :confused: )
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • catznine
    • By catznine 21st May 05, 10:28 AM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    • 21st May 05, 10:28 AM
    • 21st May 05, 10:28 AM
    I think I'm going to be brave and try this out today on my towels as they have lost their softness. Probably too much fabric conditioner and putting them on the radiators to dry over winter!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge 35.77/120
    • Chipps
    • By Chipps 21st May 05, 12:53 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,802 Thanks
    Chipps
    • 21st May 05, 12:53 PM
    • 21st May 05, 12:53 PM
    Hi, I use malt most of the time too, with no problems; neither stain nor vinegar smell.
    It's easier to get, and only 19p a bottle at Lidl, but I can only find sarsons white vinegar locally - can't remember how much that is, but more than 19p!
    • ksh123
    • By ksh123 21st May 05, 4:25 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    ksh123
    • 21st May 05, 4:25 PM
    made me laff
    • 21st May 05, 4:25 PM
    that made me smile Queenie - using vinegar in the wash and always diluting it - errr aren't the clothes in water anyway?? lol
    I buy my malt vinegar in bulk from Costco or Macro but I have never been able to get white in anything other than 1L bottles and its dear compared to brown. so I stick to brown and find it great. I shall always be grateful to the person who first mentioned the vinegar thing on here must be a couple of years ago now, but it sure has saved us all a lot of money!
    thanks
    ps catznine: I promise it won't hurt your whites.
  • Queenie
    • 21st May 05, 4:40 PM
    • 21st May 05, 4:40 PM
    that made me smile Queenie - using vinegar in the wash and always diluting it - errr aren't the clothes in water anyway?? lol
    by ksh123
    Yup, I know the clothes are in water anyway ... but, I want the vinegar to be on *all* the clothes, not just the first spot it hits!
    • ksh123
    • By ksh123 21st May 05, 4:52 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    ksh123
    • 21st May 05, 4:52 PM
    • 21st May 05, 4:52 PM
    hope you don't think I was being sarky? but I understand now, srt of makes sense in a backwards kind of way (oooer big storm here, mega lightening, dog shaking)
  • Queenie
    • 21st May 05, 5:10 PM
    • 21st May 05, 5:10 PM
    hope you don't think I was being sarky? but I understand now, srt of makes sense in a backwards kind of way (oooer big storm here, mega lightening, dog shaking)
    by ksh123
    Sarky? No way!!! I'm just not as green as I'm cabbage looking
    • ksh123
    • By ksh123 21st May 05, 5:13 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    ksh123
    • 21st May 05, 5:13 PM
    • 21st May 05, 5:13 PM
    I knew that! I read your other posts.........
  • Queenie
    How's the storm? Is your dog ok?
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 21st May 05, 7:00 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    So you mean I don't have to keep paying out for Sarson's distilled vinegar then :rolleyes:

We had thunder here a couple of hours ago but it's passed now and I can see blue skies and whispy clouds
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Bossyboots
    • By Bossyboots 22nd May 05, 8:34 AM
    • 6,547 Posts
    • 3,310 Thanks
    Bossyboots
    I bought both yesterday, white for clothes and brown for cleaning. The white is not particularly money saving, particularly compared to brown so I will try the brown on the towels I use for the dog just to double check it at a higher temperature than 50.
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 22nd May 05, 8:51 AM
    • 11,215 Posts
    • 48,844 Thanks
    Prudent
    I use brown vinegar from Lidl also. It is just so cheap and seems to do exactly the same job as white. I have had no problems with staining.I find it great because my daughter has sensitive skin and can react to other (more expensive) products, but she is okay with vinegar.
    • ksh123
    • By ksh123 22nd May 05, 4:28 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    ksh123
    Queenie: apologies for not replying yesterday (must have slunk off somewhere) storm passed pretty quickly resulting in happy dog again.
    Mind you, he's sulking now cos we have been out to a car boot sale and left him at home for hours.
    hope everyone happy with brown vinegar results......
    • bektoria
    • By bektoria 25th Sep 05, 3:13 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    bektoria
    How to use vinegar ?
    Hi

I am new to this site but I have seen a post somewhere that you can use vinegar to clean out a dishwasher. I have not used mine for some time and thought I could give this a go, but I can not now find the post !!

Please could some one help me and is there anything else I can use the vinegar for ? Oh yes, does it matter which type of vinegar ?!!!

Many thanks,
    Bek x
  • Ems*Honie
    I just pop the vinegar into the drawer where the tablet normally goes and run it through,, not sure how everyone else does it but this works for me

I use whichever I have handy between malt ans white/clear
  • Gingham Ribbon
    I'm sure someone will point you to a link to the millions of uses for vinegar! But here are some of my favourites:

A couple of capfuls instead of fabric softener.

Diluted and sprayed on worktops/dining table.

To clean the sink/hob/kettle (stainless steel.)

Diluted and sprayed on windows and wiped with old newspaper to clean and shine.

To clean the bathroom.

Mixed with a little washing up liquid and lots of water to clean the floors. (Depends on your floors I think.)

Added to wash when cleaning nappies.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 25th Sep 05, 3:57 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Hi

I am new to this site but I have seen a post somewhere that you can use vinegar to clean out a dishwasher. I have not used mine for some time and thought I could give this a go, but I can not now find the post !!

Please could some one help me and is there anything else I can use the vinegar for ? Oh yes, does it matter which type of vinegar ?!!!

Many thanks,
    Bek x
    by bektoria
    One way to use the vinegar is to half full a cup and then sit it upright on the top tray.

Another is that you can use vinegar as the rinse aid.

The right vinegar, sometimes called white, but in fact it's clear vinegar, this is distilled vinegar and is the preferred choice.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Murtle
    • By Murtle 25th Sep 05, 4:13 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Murtle
    or by me, the brown stuff cause I still can't find the white stuff!!! It doesn't stain your clothes!!!!
  • zeddy
    Since trying out Vinegar for washing our clothes I haven't looked back. Both me and my boyfriend started to itch in our clothes and bedding a few weeks back and I thought I would try using vinegar jut instead of conditioner at first. Although my clothes were softer, they weren't any less itchy so I did away with the washing powder as well. Now I was only in vinegar (clothes only - obviously) and wouldn't go back. Our clothes are softer, are keeping their colour and are easier to iron. (They are also clean - forgot to mention)!

I have been using white vinegar for fear of staining, but I've trusted you once (even though my boyfriend thought I was mad) so I'll trust you again. Malt vinegar here I come!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,659Posts Today

5,181Users online

Martin's Twitter