Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 42
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 20th Dec 18, 5:22 PM
    • 7,181 Posts
    • 5,473 Thanks
    sheramber
    Afternoon MSErs!
    Hubby and I are off round the world for 5 weeks in Feb.
    I canít find a travel insurer who will insure us for all ours flights - all the big ones will only insure flights to/from the UK.
    Can anyone help with this? Iím at my wits end trying to find one!
    Thank you
    Originally posted by antsmusic1
    Would back packers insurance work?
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 20th Dec 18, 6:11 PM
    • 4,141 Posts
    • 3,021 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Try a broker.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • pantaiema
    • By pantaiema 21st Dec 18, 11:05 AM
    • 148 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    pantaiema
    Nationwide Travel insurance
    I ask again this question as I have not found the answer to my previous question.

I just happen to know that Nationwide is not issuing a hardcopy of travel insurance anymore. There is not any email or online confirmation either. They will only confirm over the phone when you call them.

What happen to the person who need to apply for a tourist visa to travel to a Schengen country (say). The embassy will need a confirmation in writing that you have a travel I insurance in place. So for this sort of people how could they prove that they have travel insurance in place?

If you are a British citizen and need to be hospitalised some hospitals will need evidence that you have a travel insurance in place before they allow you to be treated. You have no evidence to prove that.

My question
    "Could they legally do that they just inform people when you ask and they do not provide any written or email online confirmation?"

What happen if you are about to make a claim of huge amount of hospital bills and they say you are no longer insured to avoid the claim. Also normally if you buy any insurance you will always get confirmation in writing or online or the like. I wonder how many people out there want to get insurance where you do not get written confirmation?
    Last edited by pantaiema; 21-12-2018 at 2:06 PM.
    • mmunro2013
    • By mmunro2013 30th Aug 19, 2:55 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mmunro2013
    Insolvency of your scheduled airline or tour operator...
    Does anyone know of a cheap travel insurance that includes cover of an insolvency of a scheduled airline or tour operator (prior to or after departure)? We will be travelling to the Caribbean (Barbados) early next year.

• silvercar
    • By silvercar 30th Aug 19, 4:02 PM
    • 39,800 Posts
    • 164,135 Thanks
    silvercar
    Does anyone know of a cheap travel insurance that includes cover of an insolvency of a scheduled airline or tour operator (prior to or after departure)? We will be travelling to the Caribbean (Barbados) early next year.
    Originally posted by mmunro2013
    If you book an ABTA holiday then you should be covered without having to think of your travel insurance.
    • qbazdz
    • By qbazdz 21st Oct 19, 9:42 AM
    • 140 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    qbazdz
    Anyone knows how the current deals compare to the HolidaySafe annual family covers (Premier) these days?
    • SimonGA
    • By SimonGA 3rd Jan 20, 1:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SimonGA
    I used the "no frills" option here for a single trip (Leisure Guard Travel), and the quote was more than I get via Aviva for FAR better coverage. Is there something wrong with Aviva insurance?
    • hollydo1314
    • By hollydo1314 11th Jan 20, 2:14 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hollydo1314
    Booked trip 5 month ago, need advice
    I have booked a trip through Intrepid to visit Turkey in June this year. Given the recent political tension in Iran, I am concerned that when the time comes for my trip, it might be an inappropriate time to visit the country. Here is the bug bearer. I paid a deposit for the trip in September and I have not taken out any travel insurance. There are also flights in place, booked on behalf of Intrepid. Given it is now January, I would like someone to please highlight any insurance options that are available to me, and whether I can be covered for unrest or my own personal concern even though I have not booked insurance at the time of paying a deposit. The amount is to be paid by April. I was hoping there may be a policy out there that could cover me for any of these hiccups especially since I have only paid a deposit. Thank you in advance.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 12th Jan 20, 4:09 PM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 40,205 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Insurance will only cover you for specific things like: cancellation, loss of baggage, medical expenses, delayed flight- whatever is included in the 'small print'- as has already been said to you on your thread.

Insurance will not cover you for change of mind on your part- only if the Foreign Office advises that only essential journeys should be made would you be covered. To be honest most of the tourist areas are far far away from Iran. Turkey is a huge country.

At this stage you could just cancel your holiday and lose the deposit, and honestly if you are seriously worried that is what I would do. (and yes, I have done it- just once.)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

• koru
    • By koru 13th Jan 20, 1:36 PM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    koru
    I have booked a trip through Intrepid to visit Turkey in June this year. Given the recent political tension in Iran, I am concerned that when the time comes for my trip, it might be an inappropriate time to visit the country. Here is the bug bearer. I paid a deposit for the trip in September and I have not taken out any travel insurance. There are also flights in place, booked on behalf of Intrepid. Given it is now January, I would like someone to please highlight any insurance options that are available to me, and whether I can be covered for unrest or my own personal concern even though I have not booked insurance at the time of paying a deposit. The amount is to be paid by April. I was hoping there may be a policy out there that could cover me for any of these hiccups especially since I have only paid a deposit. Thank you in advance.
    Originally posted by hollydo1314
    Just to add to the previous reply: You have two problems.
    1. Most (perhaps all) policies will probably only pay cancellation caused by unrest if the Government advises you not to travel. I'm not aware of any that pay out just because you feel uneasy, regardless of how well founded that unease is. You could try a broker to see if they know of any. Or just hunt through policies.

2. Even if there is a policy that goes by your judgement of when cancellation is necessary, they generally only pay out if the cause of the cancellation happened after you bought the policy and after you booked the travel. So, you need a policy that counts the booking as taking place when you pay the balance, which seems unlikely. Perhaps there is one, but I'd be surprised.
    koru
    • bbungay
    • By bbungay 15th Jan 20, 9:26 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bbungay
    Don't understand
    Don't understand why insurance should be purchased upon booking? In my experience it has never covered the deposit so I have always waited until the final payment has been made (or alternatively interim payments) as these are covered. This isn't the first time I have made this point.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 15th Jan 20, 9:37 AM
    • 35,915 Posts
    • 42,068 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Because if you are taken seriously ill today you are not covered for the cancellation and it would be impossible to get travel insurance if you have an illness.

I've had to make a cancellation when one of the party was medically unfit to travel. The insurance company wanted copies of doctors records to prove that it was not pre existing before the insurance was taken out.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Bonbon
    • By Bonbon 15th Jan 20, 10:10 AM
    • 542 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    Bonbon
    Browntoa , perhaps you can help me. I've just booked my holiday for May and always get insurance straight away, but I am now wondering if the start date should be now or from the holiday date to cover any eventuality before I go. I'm presuming it's the holiday start date otherwise it would have to be cover for months and very expensive
    • katejo
    • By katejo 15th Jan 20, 12:46 PM
    • 3,183 Posts
    • 1,245 Thanks
    katejo
    Because if you are taken seriously ill today you are not covered for the cancellation and it would be impossible to get travel insurance if you have an illness.

I've had to make a cancellation when one of the party was medically unfit to travel. The insurance company wanted copies of doctors records to prove that it was not pre existing before the insurance was taken out.
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Or if you develop new symptoms and are waiting for tests as your holiday gets closer. You then wouldn't be able to buy a policy at all or get a refund for the cancelled trip.
    • katejo
    • By katejo 15th Jan 20, 12:53 PM
    • 3,183 Posts
    • 1,245 Thanks
    katejo
    Browntoa , perhaps you can help me. I've just booked my holiday for May and always get insurance straight away, but I am now wondering if the start date should be now or from the holiday date to cover any eventuality before I go. I'm presuming it's the holiday start date otherwise it would have to be cover for months and very expensive
    Originally posted by Bonbon
    Are you buying a single trip policy or an annual? A single trip would specify the starting date of the trip (but cover you for illness between now and then). An annual would give today's date to start.
    • KIRKIE
    • By KIRKIE 15th Jan 20, 2:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KIRKIE
    I have just received a letter?flyer from STAYSURE regarding keeping my info updated to them. Medical etc. Notified them of my wife's small fracture to wrist that happened in SEPT 19. The operator is amending the policy as we speak and says she is about to send me an email of the updated policy, then tells me that will be £10 for administration costs and the privilege of telling them the truth. Sorry but my vocabulary took a twist and had to end the call. What part of the administration needed payment when the operator was amending the policy as we spoke. STAYSURE and probably many others want to be informed of any change to your medical records including GOING TO YOUR DOCTOR IF YOU HAVE A COLD. I thought that was a joke, but no it isn't. How many times/visits have you made to your Doctor and not realized you could have an invalidated policy. Plus how many £10's would you have to pay in a year to them
    Last edited by KIRKIE; 15-01-2020 at 2:11 PM. Reason: Adding info.
    • katejo
    • By katejo 15th Jan 20, 3:40 PM
    • 3,183 Posts
    • 1,245 Thanks
    katejo
    I have just received a letter?flyer from STAYSURE regarding keeping my info updated to them. Medical etc. Notified them of my wife's small fracture to wrist that happened in SEPT 19. The operator is amending the policy as we speak and says she is about to send me an email of the updated policy, then tells me that will be £10 for administration costs and the privilege of telling them the truth. Sorry but my vocabulary took a twist and had to end the call. What part of the administration needed payment when the operator was amending the policy as we spoke. STAYSURE and probably many others want to be informed of any change to your medical records including GOING TO YOUR DOCTOR IF YOU HAVE A COLD. I thought that was a joke, but no it isn't. How many times/visits have you made to your Doctor and not realized you could have an invalidated policy. Plus how many £10's would you have to pay in a year to them
    Originally posted by KIRKIE
    I haven't used Staysure. I did once fracture a wrist while I had a policy with Insure & go. I declared it to them. I was told that they honoured bookings already made without further payment. However, if i booked another trip on that annual policy, I would be charged a supplement. Fortunately my policy was close to expiring (about 3-4 months) and i didn't book a further trip. Insure & Go only requires you to declare conditions which fall into certain categories or which result in a hospital referral (so not a cold).
    • koru
    • By koru 15th Jan 20, 5:39 PM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    koru
    Don't understand why insurance should be purchased upon booking? In my experience it has never covered the deposit so I have always waited until the final payment has been made (or alternatively interim payments) as these are covered. This isn't the first time I have made this point.
    Originally posted by bbungay
    Some certainly do cover deposits. eg, Nationwide Flex Plus.
    koru
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,195Posts Today

8,146Users online

Martin's Twitter