Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 29th Aug 06, 9:35 AM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    • 29th Aug 06, 9:35 AM
    • 29th Aug 06, 9:35 AM
    How do you make them properly?

The pastry on mine became all horrid and sticky, and the milk round the edges look very perculiar.

Any pointers?

Thankyou so much in advance!
    by pabs1903
    What were you using milk for? I make mine using rich shortcrust pastry (8oz flour, 4oz hard stork margarine, 1oz sugar) and I roll it out not tooo thin. I put a tsp of mincemeat in each pie and seal the lids on with just a little bit of water. I pierce the top of the pies with a fork and then bake without glazing them. When they come out of the oven I dust them with caster sugar (not icing).
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • pabs1903
    • 29th Aug 06, 9:51 AM
    • 29th Aug 06, 9:51 AM
    The BBC say to put milk on the edges.

I got the pastry from a packet.

They taste ok(ish), but they look like the oddest things I've ever seen!

I glazed them with egg.

How can I make them look and tast good?

Many thanks
  • fudgem
    • 29th Aug 06, 11:47 AM
    • 29th Aug 06, 11:47 AM
    I like my mince pies without a pastry top. Just let them cool down and drizzle some icing over the top. They look nice, and by golly they taste nice
  • rchddap1
    • 29th Aug 06, 11:49 AM
    • 29th Aug 06, 11:49 AM
    I don't glaze with egg...but use a bit of water and sprinkle some caster sugar on the top. This gives them a crusty sugar top that I like.

Have to admit though...would never use packet shortcrust pastry, but would make my own.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 Now seemingly a normal little monster.
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
    • Blairweech
    • By Blairweech 29th Aug 06, 1:59 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 16,273 Thanks
    Blairweech
    • 29th Aug 06, 1:59 PM
    • 29th Aug 06, 1:59 PM
    My shortcrust pastry always comes out quite tough. Which is a shame, because I love mince pies.
  • pabs1903
    • 29th Aug 06, 2:19 PM
    • 29th Aug 06, 2:19 PM
    They look very peculiar.
  • rchddap1
    • 29th Aug 06, 2:23 PM
    • 29th Aug 06, 2:23 PM
    For some reason I just seem to have a 'thing' with shortcrust pastry. Part of the trick is to handle it as little as possible.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 Now seemingly a normal little monster.
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
    • beachbeth
    • By beachbeth 29th Aug 06, 2:51 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 7,792 Thanks
    beachbeth
    • 29th Aug 06, 2:51 PM
    • 29th Aug 06, 2:51 PM
    Pastry can be difficult, but I would have a go at making it if I were you. Use half fat to flour, eg. 8oz plain flour, along with 2oz marg and 2oz fat/lard. Then just add only enough water to make it into a dough. You can always add more water but you can't take it out if you add too much!

A good tip is to put some water in a cup with ice in it to keep it as cold as possible and only use fingertips to work the dough because the palms of your hands are too warm. Once you have your dough, cover in clingfilm and put in the fridge for half an hour before rolling out because it makes it easier to roll too.
  • doddsy
    beachbeth - that's exactly how I make mine too!

Last year a friend gave me a tip. Dollop just a little knob of philadelphia cheese on top of the mince before you put the top on. You can't taste a cheese flavour, it's just like having a little lump of clotted cream INSIDE the pie. Very nice it was too.

doddsy
    We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee.
    Marian Wright Edelman
  • pabs1903
    Thankyou.

I shall try next week.
    • researcher
    • By researcher 26th Nov 06, 10:34 AM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 1,771 Thanks
    researcher
    Whats the best pastry for mince pies?
    Hi Folks,

I fancy doing a bit of baking and making the first mince pies of the season.

Usually I make a shortcrust pastry - but having eaten pies made by an (elderly) neighbour, I've got to reconsider - they were fantastic. I watched her and know she used only Trex, an egg and a little sugar - I don't know whether plain or SR flour.

The pastry was so delicious, melt in the mouth - and didn't go hard after a day as shortcrust tends to do.

I can't get the recipe from her - it's a closely guarded secret. Any ideas as to the recipe?
  • kathyd
    This sounds like a 'Rich' shortcrust pastry. I use a basic shortcrust pastry recipe and then add 1 oz of sugar and 1 egg yolk to mine. Don't handle the mix too much, very lightly and bring together with a knife when adding the egg. Only get in there with the hands to bind together. (run your hands under cold water to cool them first). Leave to rest for half hour. One thing I found useful was not to roll the pastry out too thin. Mine used to end up more like a biscuit type texture, however, rolling the pastry out a bit thicker they ended up more crumbly than crispy. Does that make sense?

If all that fails, maybe the Trex is the magic ingredient. I use butter.
    • researcher
    • By researcher 26th Nov 06, 11:01 AM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 1,771 Thanks
    researcher
    You make perfect sense - and I'll try with Trex as I have to be very careful eating dairy.
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 26th Nov 06, 11:02 AM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    my best mince pie pastry came from the Home and Freezer Digest (there are lots of OS fans of these booklets)

Makes about 30 mince pies
    4 oz butter
    4 oz marge
    1 oz lard (trex will be fine)
    1 lb SR flor
    1 egg - separated
    milk to mix

Either rub the fats and flour together or give them a wizz in a processor
    Add the egg yolk and enough milk to mix to a firm dough
    Shape into a block then chill for ages, overnight is good.
    Roll and use as you want to. Use the egg white to glaze
    The pastry will freeze raw or freeze the finished mince pies - Delias mincemeat is the only mincemeat worthy of this pastry
    Last edited by apprentice tycoon; 27-11-2006 at 6:03 AM.
    • DonnaP
    • By DonnaP 8th Dec 06, 12:09 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    DonnaP
    Mince Pies
    How do I get mince pies out of the baking tray without breaking them?

Thanks for any help!!

Donna
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 8th Dec 06, 12:13 PM
    • 3,990 Posts
    • 7,574 Thanks
    culpepper
    have you tried turning the whole tray upsidedown over a cooling tray and banging the bottom?
    Else weedling a knife in around the edge very carefully if they are well and truly stuck.
    • needaspirin
    • By needaspirin 8th Dec 06, 12:28 PM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 1,978 Thanks
    needaspirin
    If you have to ask, it's already too late.

Next time grease or line with parchment. Don't overfill as the resulting leakage sets better than superglue!

PS may I have the broken ones? I don't care what they look like.
    • DonnaP
    • By DonnaP 8th Dec 06, 12:35 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    DonnaP
    Mince Pies
    I did grease the tray and I did try turning them upside down - some came out and some stayed put! When I try to use a knife 'carefully' my careful obviously isn't careful enough and some break a bit!

Is it best to leave them to go cold before attempting to get them out? Or should they be warm.

Donna

P.S. I have scoffed the broken ones and now feel sick!!!!
    • needaspirin
    • By needaspirin 8th Dec 06, 12:59 PM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 1,978 Thanks
    needaspirin

Serves you right for not saving them for me!

I guess you'd be better off letting thm cool off now and try later (when you feel better).

Scrub the "glue" off the tins before next use and maybe use pastry cases. I must admit one or two of my jam tarts boil over and stick as I like to be generous with the filling.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

698Posts Today

6,128Users online

Martin's Twitter