Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    aviador
    0 WOW
    A Warning About FlyBe
    • 8th Jun 10, 11:29 AM
    0 WOW
    A Warning About FlyBe 8th Jun 10 at 11:29 AM
    I've recently found out (the hard way) that the dimensions of hand luggage you're allowed to take with FlyBe are smaller than that of most other budget airlines, so a trolly bag that you can take as cabin baggage with Easyjet has to be checked in with FlyBe at a cost of 36. Check the dimensions of your bags carefully (FlyBe check-in staff will).

They also deliberately seated me apart from my travelling companion on a half empty plane because I didn't pay 12 to select my own seats.
Page 1
    • alanrowell
    • By alanrowell 8th Jun 10, 1:06 PM
    • 5,298 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    alanrowell
    • 8th Jun 10, 1:06 PM
    • 8th Jun 10, 1:06 PM
    so a trolly bag that you can take as cabin baggage with Easyjet has to be checked in with FlyBe at a cost of 36.
    Originally posted by aviador
    It would also have to be checked with Ryanair and most other low costs airlines. Easyjet is about the only low costs airline that I know of that uses the IATA size of 56x45x25cm as it's hand luggage size
    • neilbond007
    • By neilbond007 8th Jun 10, 1:24 PM
    • 2,103 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    neilbond007
    • 8th Jun 10, 1:24 PM
    • 8th Jun 10, 1:24 PM
    They also deliberately seated me apart from my travelling companion on a half empty plane because I didn't pay 12 to select my own seats.
    Or maybe they put you in a different section to balance the aircraft?
  • aviador
    • 8th Jun 10, 1:47 PM
    • 8th Jun 10, 1:47 PM
    Or maybe they put you in a different section to balance the aircraft?
    Originally posted by neilbond007
    If that were the case how would paying for seat selection have balanced the aircraft? Perhaps the 12 in my pocket was weighing it down? I think it is more likely it's the books they are balancing, rather than the aircraft!
  • Inactive
    • 8th Jun 10, 2:32 PM
    • 8th Jun 10, 2:32 PM
    It would have been helpful if you had posted exactly what Flybe's hand baggage dimensions are.
  • aviador
    • 8th Jun 10, 2:35 PM
    • 8th Jun 10, 2:35 PM
    It would have been helpful if you had posted exactly what Flybe's hand baggage dimensions are.
    Originally posted by Inactive
    As these are liable to change so I'd recommend you check Flybe's website.
    • exel1966
    • By exel1966 8th Jun 10, 2:42 PM
    • 4,815 Posts
    • 11,861 Thanks
    exel1966
    • 8th Jun 10, 2:42 PM
    • 8th Jun 10, 2:42 PM
    Hardly much difference to similar carriers, but more than many charter carriers.

You may carry 1 piece of hand baggage on board the aircraft. The maximum permitted dimensions are 50 x 35 x 23cm. It should not exceed 10kg.

Perhaps the OP should have taken 2 seconds to read the requirements !! Also, if he had checked in as a pair then he would have more than likely been allocated seats together and not dispersed for weight and balance reasons.

Post just seems like a pointless rant from someone too lazy to check.
    • neilbond007
    • By neilbond007 8th Jun 10, 4:37 PM
    • 2,103 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    neilbond007
    • 8th Jun 10, 4:37 PM
    • 8th Jun 10, 4:37 PM
    If that were the case how would paying for seat selection have balanced the aircraft? Perhaps the 12 in my pocket was weighing it down? I think it is more likely it's the books they are balancing, rather than the aircraft!
    Perhaps everyone else on the flight paid the 12. You never, and are therefore required to sit where balances the plane.

If the plane was 1/2 empty surely you could have moved to an empty row and sat with your traveling companion too...
  • Inactive
    • 9th Jun 10, 12:39 AM
    • 9th Jun 10, 12:39 AM
    As these are liable to change so I'd recommend you check Flybe's website.
    I don't need to, I am not flying with them.

I always know the baggage size permitted by any airline that I use, I have never been charged any excess, unlike some.
  • Tony Andelbow
    This poor person looks like they ranted in the wrong place as the forum has turned. Pitchfolks away people.

I agree with you guys though, they should of read the sizes before booking. People who compain about the additional cost on their 99p rattle me too
    • cactusdust
    • By cactusdust 11th Jun 10, 9:51 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    cactusdust
    Try fitting a bag over those dimensions inside the overhead locker of a Dash 8, and you'll soon realise why they made you check it in.

• shoi
    • By shoi 16th Jun 10, 8:21 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    shoi
    My experience with Ryanair is that they let people get away with wildly oversize bags, in fact the only place that I have been which seems to enforce carry on bag size is Luton Airport.
    • slewis1985
    • By slewis1985 16th Jun 10, 9:21 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    slewis1985
    My experience with Ryanair is that they let people get away with wildly oversize bags, in fact the only place that I have been which seems to enforce carry on bag size is Luton Airport.
    Originally posted by shoi
    That's not what I found recently. Flew from Stansted and they were vigoursouly checking everyone who had a bag looking remotely like it may be too big. Between check in and getting on the aircraft mine was weighed once and I was asked to prove the dimensions by fitting it into their measuring racks TWICE!!!
    • Finishrich
    • By Finishrich 16th Jun 10, 9:38 AM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    Finishrich
    Easyjet is about the only low costs airline that I know of that uses the IATA size of 56x45x25cm as it's hand luggage size
    Originally posted by alanrowell
    That's interesting, Easyjet have obviously increased it as it was slightly less in early 2009.

My mum got caught out last year just like the OP with a bag she'd been using on other airlines - so I went through a number of airlines flying out of our local airport at the time to check what the sizes were and out of 8, 3 of them were the same all the others were different some larger like BA with the standard IATA size and the others were variations of that but smaller in one way or the other.

• Chester85
    If you'd bothered checking when you booked the flights you'd notice that FlyBe operate a Dash 8 Q400 aircraft which has much much smaller overhead lockers compared to the larger aircraft that Easy and Ryanair operate

The reason they are so strict is not because they like to make money out of you it's because the plane ain't big enough

As for sitting together...you sit where your told unless you pay and pick specific seats when booking
    • mertonwall
    • By mertonwall 16th Jun 10, 5:58 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mertonwall
    Use the self check-in terminals at the airport and you can choose where you sit for free. Including emergency exit and extra leg-room seats. otherwise just be pleasant to the check-in staff. It always works for me.

Trolley bags should be banned! They get in the way and make you look like an air hostess. Much easier to use a soft small hold-all or ruck sack which can easily be forced into the hand luggage gauge.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,595Posts Today

7,346Users online

Martin's Twitter