Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    MoneySavingSapphire :D
    You know you can make flavoured vodka... can you do whisky??
    • 29th Jun 06, 9:17 PM
    You know you can make flavoured vodka... can you do whisky?? 29th Jun 06 at 9:17 PM
    By putting like dried fruit and things in it? Well - can you make funny whisky? I want to start thinking about making some yummy things like flavoured olive oils and spirits for Christmas (I know you lot won't mind me mentioning the C word this early (or not!) in the year, have been nosing @ the christmas thread!!) and my nan is, like me, a whisky drinker rather than vodka, and I'd love to make her something whisky related. Whisky and handmade by her favourite...oops, first grandchild - would be so nice!!
    Have a sneaky suspiscion this doesn't exist though....
    Thanks in advance!!
    PS - any tasty recipes for homemade vodkas, bath salts, oils, etc welcome too!
    PPS - sorry if this has been done before. I searched and found vodka, but no whisky!! Any alternative ideas welcome too!
    Returning MoneySaver, now furiously saving for a house deposit...
Page 1
  • Josiegirl
    • 29th Jun 06, 9:23 PM
    • 29th Jun 06, 9:23 PM
    You might find something for whisky on this site, lots of recipes.

http://www.guntheranderson.com/liqueurs/flavors.htm#Grand%20Marnier®

Good luck!
  • MoneySavingSapphire :D
    • 29th Jun 06, 9:34 PM
    • 29th Jun 06, 9:34 PM
    What a great list! Can't find whisky but I've got a million other ideas for things now... spiced rum, pomegranate liqueur, pear liqueur.. ooh, ginger - my mum would love that... thank you!!!!!
  • Josiegirl
    • 29th Jun 06, 9:38 PM
    • 29th Jun 06, 9:38 PM
    You're welcome. Just looked thru the list, Drambuie is one that's made from Whisky, also Baileys.

Cheers.
  • GUMPO
    • 29th Jun 06, 9:49 PM
    • 29th Jun 06, 9:49 PM
    Whiskey should just taste like whiskey. Not sweet like bourbon or smokey like scotch drink Irish!!
    FREE THE WM3
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 29th Jun 06, 9:56 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 29th Jun 06, 9:56 PM
    • 29th Jun 06, 9:56 PM
    Hi MoneySavingSapphire,

Have you seen this thread? make your own christmas booze!!

These other threads might help you too:

Home made Xmas gifts

home made beauty products

Oatmeal body scrub soap and more

Homemade Perfume

Pink
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 30th Jun 06, 6:25 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 30th Jun 06, 6:25 AM
    • 30th Jun 06, 6:25 AM
    Fruit flavoured spirits can be made with any spirits - whiskey, vodka, brandy,rum or gin.Basically you put fruit (berries are best-sloes,damsons,plums,raspberries,currants,blackberr ies etc), and sugar in the spirit and leave for as long as possible in a cool dark place,shaking the jar occasionally.

Good combinations are;raspberry brandy, blackberry whiskey, damson gin and quince vodka.
    • **purpleprincess**
    • By **purpleprincess** 30th Jun 06, 9:29 AM
    • 3,516 Posts
    • 3,845 Thanks
    **purpleprincess**
    • 30th Jun 06, 9:29 AM
    • 30th Jun 06, 9:29 AM
    Ginger whisky!!!! My boss at the pub makes this and it is lush!!!
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082!
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 16,956 Debt now: 0.00
    Aims: clear debt, get married, buy a house ALL DONE!!
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 30th Jun 06, 11:43 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 30th Jun 06, 11:43 AM
    • 30th Jun 06, 11:43 AM
    That sounds gorgeous Purpleprincess,I love ginger and whiskey.How does your boss make it?
    • **purpleprincess**
    • By **purpleprincess** 30th Jun 06, 11:57 AM
    • 3,516 Posts
    • 3,845 Thanks
    **purpleprincess**
    That sounds gorgeous Purpleprincess,I love ginger and whiskey.How does your boss make it?
    by thriftlady
    It is gorgeous!! He gets stem ginger and some sugar, puts it into a large bottle and pours over the whisky. Leaves it for quite a while to do its thing and ta da!! He is the king at making flavoured spirits!! Strawberry vodka, chilli vodka, horseradish vodka, mandarin brandy and ginger whisky all on the go at the mo!!! Horseradish and chilli are fab in a bloody mary! One shot of each. And the strawberry is especially devisilish with a bit of squirty cream on the top of it in a shot glass then down in one, mmmmm!!
    • djtonyb
    • By djtonyb 30th Jun 06, 3:51 PM
    • 590 Posts
    • 364 Thanks
    djtonyb
    sound really good

Does anyone have a recipe for Cola Cube Vodka?
    Fat and proud lol
    • **purpleprincess**
    • By **purpleprincess** 30th Jun 06, 4:20 PM
    • 3,516 Posts
    • 3,845 Thanks
    **purpleprincess**
    Do you mean as in the cola cube sweeties? I would just chuck a load into some vodka and see what happens!!! You could do it with anything really! Refreshers is a good one, jelly tots. And remember, you can eat the sweets that stay whole afterwards!!!!
    • **purpleprincess**
    • By **purpleprincess** 30th Jun 06, 4:21 PM
    • 3,516 Posts
    • 3,845 Thanks
    **purpleprincess**
    Refreshers don't if my memory serves me correctly!!
    • Aril
    • By Aril 1st Jul 06, 12:45 PM
    • 1,882 Posts
    • 16,753 Thanks
    Aril
    Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has a recipe for blackberry whisky. It's from his book about wild food cooking [pre River Cottage]. I borrowed from the library. Have a bottle of it in my cupboard and it's pretty decent
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • sallypurple
    I made the licorice vodka for the christmas alcohol thread and it was really popular, I have had loads of requests for it -MiL is a particular fan!

I think it is worth experimenting, I love the saound of the ginger whisky - I'm going to try and make that for my dad, I think you could also do a Festive one - try a little orange peel, a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg and sugar. We'll have to start now so we can sample them and perfect our recipes.
  • MoneySavingSapphire :D
    Wow, the ginger whisky sounds perfect - do you think if I started making them now that's a diddy bit soon? Maybe more september time? Or is longer better?
    Gin of some description for mum. Chilli vodka for brother. Ginger whisky for nan. Boyfriend makes his own wine already (I know, he's a good 'un )... Plan! Now just to find the cheapest place for booze!
    • betterbargains4u
    • By betterbargains4u 24th Aug 06, 10:25 PM
    • 1,432 Posts
    • 2,529 Thanks
    betterbargains4u
    flavoured vodka and other alcoholic drinks
    Have a glut of plums and would like to make something alcoholic.
    Does anyone know how to make flavoured vodka or gin with plums?
    Or maybe a simple plum wine recipe?
  • stuart264
    1 bottle of vodka
    450g Plums, halved and stoned
    225g Sugar

Method
    1. Place the vodka, plums and sugar in a large saucepan.

2. Bring to the boil and simmer until the sugar has dissolved. Allow to cool.

3. Transfer the vodka plum mixture into two bottles and store in a dark, cool place for 3 months.

4. Strain the plum vodka through muslin and bottle in 2 clean bottles.

Never had much luck with plum wine mine always came out hellishly dry and un-drinkable so someone elses recipe might work better.
    • mrs baggins
    • By mrs baggins 25th Aug 06, 6:52 AM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    mrs baggins
    if you bring it to the boil doesnt that evaporate all the alcohol??

i would do it a slightly different way,

pierce the damsons and drop into the half-empty bottle so that they displace the remaining gin/vodka to near the top.
    Add one goblet of sugar (approx 150g).
    All you have to do now is gently shake/turn the bottle daily for a week or so, then weekly for a while. can be used with sloes/plums/damsons gin or vodka/ I dont bother with buying expensive stuff just supermarkets own brand
  • ckerrd
    To be honset I have never considered putting my plums in Vodka.......
    We all evolve - get on with it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

937Posts Today

7,028Users online

Martin's Twitter