PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What to do with 4 pints of Double cream

Options
As the title says I have 4 pints of the stuff that goes out of date today - got it for 10p at my local makro - couldnt resist !!!! Dont have time to really make ice cream so any other suggestions would be great.

Hmmm, I also have four bags of frozen rhubarb ??? I wonder ???
If at first you don't succeed - destroy all evidence that you tried.

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi alictait,

If you whip the cream you can freeze it to use another time, or you could make your own butter....if you have a food processor it only takes minutes.

Pink
  • Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Options
    Ah - beat me to it PW, I was going to suggest butter too as I've been scanning the reduced shelves for weeks hoping to find some double cream for just that!
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
  • alictait
    alictait Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi alictait,

If you whip the cream you can freeze it to use another time, or you could make your own butter....if you have a food processor it only takes minutes.

Pink

thanks there - interested in both of these - only thing is do I have enough space in my freezer for all that whipped cream - would it keep like it is ?
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No it needs to be whipped, but when it's whipped it should fit back into it's carton.

Pink
  • alictait
    Options
    No it needs to be whipped, but when it's whipped it should fit back into it's carton.

Pink

I didnt know that - I thought when it was whipped it would have all the air in it aswell - hence taking up more mass !!!

Anyway - looking into this butter thing, Do you think id be better with a food processor with a blade - or my kenwood chef ?
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    alictait wrote:
    I didnt know that - I thought when it was whipped it would have all the air in it aswell - hence taking up more mass !!!

Anyway - looking into this butter thing, Do you think id be better with a food processor with a blade - or my kenwood chef ?

I used to think the same about the air in the cream until I tried it. I made butter in the food processor using a plastic blade, but I'm sure it would work equally well in the kenwood chef.

Pink
  • alictait
    Options
    Think illl give it a bash - did you let the cream get to room temperature first or do it whilst it was cold ? Im just worried that the cream turns before I use it, however I dont think that it will really matter anyway will it ?
  • Pink.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It won't turn....It was reduced double cream that I used and it was fine. I think it's important to let it get to room temperature.
  • alictait
    Options
    Thanks for your help - ill take it out last thing tonight then and use it when I get home from work tomorrow (about 1)

Cheers

Alictait
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rhubarb + cream = Rhubarb fool. Yum!

I just googled rhubarb fool & it came up with loads of recipes
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income