Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    Use another house as mortgage collateral?
    • #1
    • 29th May 10, 11:09 AM
    Use another house as mortgage collateral? 29th May 10 at 11:09 AM
    I wonder if anyone could help.

    My wife and I own a mortgaged property work approx 100k we are trying to sell; both have good stable jobs so no issues getting a new mortgage.

    We also have a mortgage-free flat worth approx 70k which we have been trying to sell. Selling it would give us a great deposit towards our next house. However we are having difficulty selling it, especially as other properties have come on for sale at lower prices. I don't need advice on 'well lower your price etc' as that is not my point.

    I want to know if we can sell property A, taking a 5% despoit with us towards the new house, and somewhow tell the mortgage company about property B being a 70k-ish asset - gaining a better rate/mortgage based on this asset?

    In business terms I know there are instances of using a property as collateral - anyone advise on the situation in the residential market?
    Thanks in advance,
Page 1
    • somethingcorporate
    • By somethingcorporate 29th May 10, 11:14 AM
    • 8,868 Posts
    • 8,575 Thanks
    • #2
    • 29th May 10, 11:14 AM
    • #2
    • 29th May 10, 11:14 AM
    No, I wouldn't have thought so.

    Mortgage rates reflect the particular risk against a single asset (since most people only have one).

    You could certainly use the income rental (if you had any) against lending criteria from the mortgage but there is not a way you can use any of this 70k value from the flat unless you liquidate it and invest in your new house.

    Not ideal but it seems that you will simply have to wait until it sells, unless the 70k does not significantly change your LTV on your new house? If you are already going to be at 75% LTV you should have a good range of mortgages available to you and you should look for something flexible that will allow you to then invest the 70k penalty free when your flat does sell. If you would be buying at 90% without the proceeds of the flat then you have little choice but to wait if you want to secure a good deal.

    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • _Andy_
    • #3
    • 29th May 10, 11:15 AM
    • #3
    • 29th May 10, 11:15 AM
    You can't use it as 'collateral' as such - you need the actual money in hand
  • DarkKnight28
    • #4
    • 29th May 10, 11:18 AM
    • #4
    • 29th May 10, 11:18 AM
    Thanks peeps

    We have options of:
    -waiting (feel like i've been waiting forever)
    -reducing the price (not ideal)
    -buying a new build and exchanging the 70k place in return
    -selling to a '75%' value place

    But obviously none of them are first choices. Anyone know anything more than these good guys?
  • ManicMum
    • #5
    • 31st May 10, 10:20 PM
    • #5
    • 31st May 10, 10:20 PM
    just reduce the price. If it isn't selling, this will be why. Especially as you say others coming on for less. Easier and simpler!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,702Posts Today

7,039Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke?

  • No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr?

  • Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R?

  • Follow Martin