Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 13
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 11th Apr 18, 1:20 AM
    • 9,230 Posts
    • 9,663 Thanks
    pogofish
    Hi, my daughter has a EHIC that is in date but she has recently turned 16 and has a new adult passport, will the card still be valid?
    Originally posted by amc27
    Did you read this?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74143848#1
    • ericthelobster
    • By ericthelobster 14th Sep 18, 8:14 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    ericthelobster
    I was involved in an accident in France about a month ago; I was blue-lighted to a hospital and treated for a broken collarbone. I used my EHIC card and wasn't charged anything else at the time.

I'm aware that foreign hospitals sometimes send invoices to foreign patients at home later on. I have an outstanding travel insurance claim to submit for other expenses, and am wondering how likely it is that I have yet to be sent a bill for medical expenses from France? Anyone know?
    • katejo
    • By katejo 14th Sep 18, 8:37 PM
    • 3,144 Posts
    • 1,233 Thanks
    katejo
    I was involved in an accident in France about a month ago; I was blue-lighted to a hospital and treated for a broken collarbone. I used my EHIC card and wasn't charged anything else at the time.

I'm aware that foreign hospitals sometimes send invoices to foreign patients at home later on. I have an outstanding travel insurance claim to submit for other expenses, and am wondering how likely it is that I have yet to be sent a bill for medical expenses from France? Anyone know?
    Originally posted by ericthelobster
    I would have thought that they would have charged you at the time. I had 1 night in an Italian hospital 3 years ago. I wasn't charged when there and no further bill followed it.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 14th Sep 18, 10:45 PM
    • 9,230 Posts
    • 9,663 Thanks
    pogofish

Did you read the OP - MSE have fingers in many pies but I don't think the French healthcare sector is one of them!
    • ericthelobster
    • By ericthelobster 15th Sep 18, 12:32 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    ericthelobster
    Did you read the OP - MSE have fingers in many pies but I don't think the French healthcare sector is one of them!
    Originally posted by pogofish
    Meaning ?
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 15th Sep 18, 9:04 AM
    • 19,990 Posts
    • 46,297 Thanks
    peachyprice

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/healthcare-when-travelling-abroad/healthcare-in-france/
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • cliffh
    • By cliffh 10th Jan 19, 3:18 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    cliffh
    Can't download iPhone App
    When I try to download the app mentioned, I get a message saying:

"App Not Available

This app is currently not available in your country region."
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Jan 19, 3:42 PM
    • 21,492 Posts
    • 58,137 Thanks
    Pollycat
    When I try to download the app mentioned, I get a message saying:

"App Not Available

This app is currently not available in your country region."
    Originally posted by cliffh
    Where was this app mentioned?
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 10th Jan 19, 3:46 PM
    • 5,303 Posts
    • 3,801 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    The only app link mentioned was spam which was deleted by the forum team.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • ericthelobster
    • By ericthelobster 10th Jan 19, 4:17 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    ericthelobster
    I would have thought that they would have charged you at the time
    Originally posted by katejo
    Well - for what it's worth, I was indeed finally sent my only bill from the French hospital (ie, after having presented my EHIC card); about 3 months after I was discharged. It amounted to about 29 Euros.

Although I had already put in my travel insurance claim by then, and received the payout, my insurers had no problem with adding on the extra and refunding that separately.
    • cliffh
    • By cliffh 10th Jan 19, 5:30 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    cliffh
    Where was this app mentioned?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    In the "Free EHIC" article.
    • cliffh
    • By cliffh 10th Jan 19, 5:32 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    cliffh
    The only app link mentioned was spam which was deleted by the forum team.
    Originally posted by heatherw_01
    Thanks.

@Mods - Please remove the link from the article then rather than leaving an invalid link in place - thanks.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Jan 19, 5:50 PM
    • 21,492 Posts
    • 58,137 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Thanks.

@Mods - Please remove the link from the article then rather than leaving an invalid link in place - thanks.
    Originally posted by cliffh
    Mods are unlikely to read this thread.
    You can flag it up:

SPOTTED OUT OF DATE INFO/BROKEN LINKS? EMAIL: BROKENLINK@MONEYSAVINGEXPERT.COM
    • Tania1
    • By Tania1 20th Jan 19, 11:00 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tania1
    EHIC Shyster sites
    Hi there, unfortunately I have been done by one of these EHIC shyster sites this week. It was later in the evening, tired and rushing. My husband was abroad and asked me to renew the cards because they had expired. The site I came to was the first one on Google...it looked the business. It did state at the top there is now a charge for EHIC cards so I assumed this was a new thing.. what with Brexit looming and all.... I know quite naive. So I inputted personal information for the whole family. I paid 32.99 for fast track. It was 29.99 for non-fast track.

However, when I told colleagues and friends the next day they thought it'' fishy'' that i had paid. A good friend looked into it and notified me that I had indeed been done and signposted me to this website. I was very angry and sent the company a somewhat curt email asking for my money back as I felt they were misleading and that I had been miss sold. I mentioned that i would take this up with the credit card company dispute team and speak to Trading Standards when they open tomorrow. I recieved a reply this morning from the company( i was shocked at that) that was rather arrogant in tone saying not to try and hold payment since they win over 90% of disputes and have no reason to believe they would not win mine, which would cost me a legal fee of hundreds of pounds. They then forwarded me all their small print to say there had been no wrong doing. I have questions about the small print , so I said I would still leave it in the hands of Trading Standard as they are the experts.

I doubt I will see my money again but morally I will report them. Strangely enough their site after my first email has disappeared from the net but I feel they have just changed the name and look of the website. What bothers me more is that they have personal details about me and my family and the credit card... but I will cancel that. Oh and Google having them as the first link....not helpful at all !!!. The credit card company said they get so many calls about these sites on a daily basis and would not be able to help...surely they should be able to?

I would appreciate any advice from any other victims of this unethical practice.
    • ericthelobster
    • By ericthelobster 20th Jan 19, 12:22 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    ericthelobster
    Hi there, unfortunately I have been done by one of these EHIC shyster sites this week.
    Originally posted by Tania1
    Bad luck - those outfits make my blood boil. Have you read: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/free-ehic-card/#beware

A few thoughts...

First, don't waste your time chasing your credit card company; they would only (maybe) help if the transaction was over 100.

If you are possibly intending to follow this up with anybody else, eg Trading Standards or by going 'legal', make sure you save copies of the website and all the T&Cs, ensuring that the date is obvious; otherwise you run the risk of them changing the wording. If the website did indeed state unequivocally that "there is now a charge for EHIC cards" then that's a downright lie (though I wonder if in fact their actual wording covers them in some way).

I can't comment on whether you have a case or not, but I would certainly ignore all their pontificating about how they'd win any case and you'd lose hundreds - "they would say that, wouldn't they". I have to say though, for the sake of 32 it might be better for your sanity just to let it go rather than get involved in months of angst and legalities, although I know it would really grate to do so. Been there done that (both ways, so I know what I'm talking about!)
    Last edited by ericthelobster; Yesterday at 12:27 PM. Reason: extra info
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 20th Jan 19, 12:35 PM
    • 11,670 Posts
    • 7,618 Thanks
    Caz3121
    The site I came to was the first one on Google...
    Originally posted by Tania1
    it is worth keeping an eye out for Ads
    looking on google, searching EHIC, the first 2 sites are both paid Ads, the first non-advertisement link is the official site
    • gfplux
    • By gfplux 21st Jan 19, 7:57 AM
    • 4,516 Posts
    • 3,958 Thanks
    gfplux
    Many many people are caught by these sites.
    Beware when searching for Passport Office, EHIC, USA-ESTA.

There will be a new one in the future when it becomes mandatory to sign up for a Schengen area ETIAS in 2021, watch out!
    There will be no Brexit dividend. "Brexit Blight of Uncertainty" sums it all up.
    All the problems in Britain that caused many of the 52% to vote out are unchanged and the Government has no time or inclination to do anything but manage Brexit (badly)
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 21st Jan 19, 8:55 AM
    • 21,492 Posts
    • 58,137 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Many many people are caught by these sites.
    Beware when searching for Passport Office, EHIC, USA-ESTA.

There will be a new one in the future when it becomes mandatory to sign up for a Schengen area ETIAS in 2021, watch out!
    Originally posted by gfplux
    And lots more:
    I posted this 18 months ago - the first link I gave is for this thread.
    I think Government websites might have stopped some of these companies.

There are lots of threads on here about these websites.

Here's one started over 7 years ago which mentions fake websites that will charge you:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2497359&highlight=ehic

Here's another started 5 years ago that says you might be able to get refund. No idea if it's still relevant but maybe worth checking.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4031333&highlight=ehic

You should also be aware that these companies didn't just limit themselves to EHIC.

They popped up on searches for:
    Passport application/ renewal
    Booking driving theory test
    Booking driving test
    Submitting tax return
    EHIC
    ESTA
    Fishing licences

and probably more that I can't remember now.
    Originally posted by Pollycat

You really need to be savvy when using Google.
    I always check if a search result has 'Ad' in a little box at the left hand side of the link - as Caz3121 says.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,613Posts Today

10,356Users online

Martin's Twitter