Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 22nd Aug 06, 3:16 PM
    • 10,561Posts
    • 15,223Thanks
    mrbadexample
    Chocolate yoghurt cake - microwave disaster!
    • 22nd Aug 06, 3:16 PM
    Chocolate yoghurt cake - microwave disaster! 22nd Aug 06 at 3:16 PM
    OSers!

I went to see me mum at the weekend, and she managed to find her recipe for chocolate yoghurt cake!

So, can someone please make this, so that when I have a go I've got back up for when things go wrong? :rolleyes: Apparently, you can microwave it too!

The recipe reads:

5 fluid ounces vegetable oil
    5 fluid ounces natural yoghurt
    4 level tablespoons golden syrup
    6 oz caster sugar
    3 eggs
    8 oz self-raising flour
    3 rounded tablespoons cocoa (edit: probably a bit better with 4!)
    level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
    level teaspoon salt
    6 sugar cubes, to decorate

1. Prepare a cool oven (325F, 160C, gas mark 3). Grease a round 8" cake tin. Line base and side with greaseproof paper; grease paper.

2. Place oil, yoghurt, syrup, caster sugar and eggs in a bowl; beat with a wooden spoon until well mixed. Sift flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and salt into bowl; mix well.

3. Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake in centre of oven for 1 hour 30 minutes to 1 hour 40 minutes. Test with the fingers. If cooked, cake should spring back and have begun to shrink from the side of the tin.

4. Leave cake to cool in tin, then turn out and remove paper. Crush sugar cubes with a rolling pin and sprinkle sugar over cake.

To store: wrap in foil; keep 2 to 3 days for full flavour, then up to 1 week in a tin.

Microwave instructions:
    Brush a deep 8" straight-sided casserole (about 4 pint capacity) with oil. Line base with greaseproof paper; grease paper. Cooking time: about 9 minutes on high.

So, I need one volunteer to bake it, and one to microwave it. Then I need a report on which way's best! All I can remember is that it's gorgeous!

Edit: Icing link.
    Last edited by mrbadexample; 08-02-2010 at 5:36 PM.
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
Page 1
    • thriftmonster
    • By thriftmonster 22nd Aug 06, 3:27 PM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 8,014 Thanks
    thriftmonster
    • 22nd Aug 06, 3:27 PM
    • 22nd Aug 06, 3:27 PM
    I'll have a go but I don't have a microwave so I can't volunteer for that bit.
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 22nd Aug 06, 3:47 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample
    • 22nd Aug 06, 3:47 PM
    • 22nd Aug 06, 3:47 PM
    I'll have a go but I don't have a microwave so I can't volunteer for that bit.
    by thriftmonster
    Ok, but you have to be on 24 hour call out for when I muck it up.
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • BrokeBrunette
    • 22nd Aug 06, 6:27 PM
    • 22nd Aug 06, 6:27 PM
    well well MrB, back on the OS board then. I thought you would have been too busy sending bottles

That cake looks interesting. I'm still waiting for a taste of the last one
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 22nd Aug 06, 6:38 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample
    • 22nd Aug 06, 6:38 PM
    • 22nd Aug 06, 6:38 PM
    well well MrB, back on the OS board then. I thought you would have been too busy sending bottles

That cake looks interesting. I'm still waiting for a taste of the last one
    by BrokeBrunette
    No time for bottles...haven't sent any or emptied any in days!

You forgot to send me delivery address for the last cake - none left now! Try this one and let me know if you think it's any good.
  • BrokeBrunette
    • 22nd Aug 06, 6:42 PM
    • 22nd Aug 06, 6:42 PM
    No time for bottles...haven't sent any or emptied any in days!

You forgot to send me delivery address for the last cake - none left now! Try this one and let me know if you think it's any good.
    by mrbadexample

I've got a bit bored with the bottles now, have given up

I probably have all the ingredients needed for the cake, other than the natural yogurt and sugar cubes. I might have a go when I next visit Tesco's. I'll report back if I do!

I definitely wouldn't want any of your cake now. It would be too old and dry
    • thriftmonster
    • By thriftmonster 23rd Aug 06, 7:42 AM
    • 1,656 Posts
    • 8,014 Thanks
    thriftmonster
    • 23rd Aug 06, 7:42 AM
    • 23rd Aug 06, 7:42 AM
    Well I made it - dead easy - but I didn't manage the mature for 2-3- days as dh spotted it cooling and insisted on trying it last night - so did our guests! It's very nice warm as well !!!!!
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 23rd Aug 06, 11:56 AM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample
    • 23rd Aug 06, 11:56 AM
    • 23rd Aug 06, 11:56 AM
    Well I made it - dead easy - but I didn't manage the mature for 2-3- days as dh spotted it cooling and insisted on trying it last night - so did our guests! It's very nice warm as well !!!!!
    by thriftmonster
    Did you make the oven version or the microwave version? :confused:

Edit...I've just read your first post so guess I know the answer.

I must admit, I was wondering how important the 2-3 days improving time was. I'm not sure I have the self control.
    Last edited by mrbadexample; 23-08-2006 at 12:06 PM.
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 24th Aug 06, 5:34 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample
    • 24th Aug 06, 5:34 PM
    • 24th Aug 06, 5:34 PM
    Right then, I'm about ready to have a bash at this, but need a little help.

(Oi! Who shouted: "surprise, surprise :rolleyes:"?)

The yoghurt I have is in a 150g pot. Any idea what that is in fluid ounces? :confused:

The recipe says to beat with a wooden spoon until well mixed. Can I use me electrickery whisk, or is there some reason I'm not allowed? :confused:

Please help, I need more cake!
    • twink
    • By twink 24th Aug 06, 5:57 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    5 fl ozs is 1/4 pint have you got a measuring jug you could pour it into?
  • point3
    Please help, I need more cake!
    by mrbadexample
    Now, well we can't be having that .

150g of yoghurt is about 5 fluid ounces.

You can use the whisk, but it may be easier to roughly mix the ingredients together first with a spoon.
    • newleaf
    • By newleaf 24th Aug 06, 6:14 PM
    • 3,009 Posts
    • 3,451 Thanks
    newleaf
    I don't think you'll need the electrickery whiskery for this one mr be, the oil won't be nearly so difficult to mix in as the butter in your other cake.
    Sounds good btw, I'll try it at the weekend - in the oven. I don't like microwave baking.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 24th Aug 06, 6:24 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample
    Now, well we can't be having that .

150g of yoghurt is about 5 fluid ounces.

You can use the whisk, but it may be easier to roughly mix the ingredients together first with a spoon.
    by point3
    So I just chuck the whole pot in then?

I'll probably use the whisk as I am extremely lazy.
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 24th Aug 06, 6:26 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample
    I don't think you'll need the electrickery whiskery for this one mr be, the oil won't be nearly so difficult to mix in as the butter in your other cake.
    Sounds good btw, I'll try it at the weekend - in the oven. I don't like microwave baking.
    by newleaf
    I agree. Mine's going in the oven, as I think cakes should be baked, not nuked. :rolleyes:

And I bought two pots of yoghurt in case one wasn't 5 fluid ounces. Alas, it means I'll have to make two cakes to prevent it going to waste.
  • janeawej
    going to try it tomorrow ds 1 &2 need a cake to take 2 cub camp this one will be at its best by sunday when they will be eating it!
  • point3
    <--------- is it ready yet?
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 24th Aug 06, 8:39 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample
    <--------- is it ready yet?
    by point3
    let me check the oven....

Nope.

I'm not doing it until tomorrow or Saturday. Sorry if I got your hopes up.
  • aurora borealis

Nope.

by mrbadexample
    please pm me before you start so I can get myself settled
    de do-do-do, de dar-dar-dar
    • Addiscomber
    • By Addiscomber 24th Aug 06, 8:44 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    Addiscomber
    I'll probably use the whisk as I am extremely lazy.
    by mrbadexample
    Having come across your slow cooker stew thread the other day quite by chance, and having nearly wet myself today reading your first cake thread, I think you are indulging in a little poetic licence and telling porkies here. A truly lazy person would have bought ready meals and a packaged cake.

I wholeheartedly applaud your determination to learn to cook, and hope to spot one of your threads early enough to contribute. However not if you are doing shortcrust pastry as it is not my strongest culinary point
  • point3

Nope.

by mrbadexample
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

600Posts Today

5,811Users online

Martin's Twitter