Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 26th May 10, 8:26 AM
    • 13,311Posts
    • 9,167Thanks
    Voyager2002
    0 WOW
    Would you take the risk (Afriqiyah airways)?
    • 26th May 10, 8:26 AM
    0 WOW
    Would you take the risk (Afriqiyah airways)? 26th May 10 at 8:26 AM
    I shall fly next month, and Afriqiyah airways would charge about two hundred pounds less for my journey than would Air France. Afriqihay are the Libya-based airline that suffered a catastrophic crash recently (all dead apart from one young boy). My journey would also involve landing at Tripoli early in the morning (which is when and where the crash happened) and some postings on the 'net indicate that Tripoli does not have adequate aircraft guidance systems. Of course the crash investigation will not report for months, so I don't really know what happened.
Page 1
  • james2005
    • 26th May 10, 8:33 AM
    • 26th May 10, 8:33 AM
    Lol I would give it a right miss, whats saving 200 if your dead and cant spend it?
  • Innys
    • 26th May 10, 8:49 AM
    • 26th May 10, 8:49 AM
    Lol I would give it a right miss, whats saving 200 if your dead and cant spend it?
    Originally posted by james2005
    He's not wrong, you know. There's "Moneysaving" and then there's "Moneysuicide".....you choose.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 26th May 10, 9:23 AM
    • 15,988 Posts
    • 22,365 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 26th May 10, 9:23 AM
    • 26th May 10, 9:23 AM
    I'd be inclined to go Air France, but doubt it makes much difference really...

• lilac_lady
    • 26th May 10, 9:29 AM
    • 26th May 10, 9:29 AM
    AAARRGGGGGHHHH! I hate flying.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• lfc321
    • By lfc321 26th May 10, 9:32 AM
    • 624 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    lfc321
    • 26th May 10, 9:32 AM
    • 26th May 10, 9:32 AM
    Afriquiya is not actually on the list of airlines banned from operating in the EU (http://ec.europa.eu/transport/air-ban/doc/list_en.pdf).

Even so, I'm not sure I'd be in a hurry to book.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 26th May 10, 9:40 AM
    • 15,988 Posts
    • 22,365 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 26th May 10, 9:40 AM
    • 26th May 10, 9:40 AM
    AAARRGGGGGHHHH! I hate flying.
    Originally posted by lilac_lady
    Flying isn't a problem. Like most modes of transport, it's coming to a sudden stop that spoils your day...

Last edited by Gloomendoom; 26-05-2010 at 9:43 AM.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 26th May 10, 4:19 PM
    • 3,073 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    bagand96
    • 26th May 10, 4:19 PM
    • 26th May 10, 4:19 PM
    I'm amused Air France are considered a safer alternative.

For a major European carrier their safety record is shoddy to say the least.
  • littlestar1981
    • 26th May 10, 10:20 PM
    • 26th May 10, 10:20 PM
    You're more likely to die in a car crash on the way to the airport (probably)

I'd be more inclined to go for Air France - bigger company, and check out Airline Quality site. But I had never heard of Afriqiyah prior to the crash.

Why don't you make your choice based on the safety record of the aircraft used rather than the company?
    OU Student! - ED209, SDK125, DSE212, SK124, DSE141, SD226, DXR222, DD303, DD307 = BSc Psychology
  • bigturnip
    Interestingly Afriqiyah Airways' planes are serviced at CDG, so probably the very same people who service the Air France planes. Afriqiyah's fleet are all new aircraft, probably a lot newer than many Air France planes. So from an equipment point of view I would have no qualms flying with them, I have no idea about pilots, but if they're allowed to fly into EU airspace they must meet some kind of standard.

Safety issues aside, they have very mixed reviews on service and Tripoli Airport is apparently not the nicest of places to transit through (make sure you use the loo on the plane before you get off if you have a long stopover).
    I've given up trying to get my signature to work with the new rules, if nobody knows what the rules are what hope do we have?
    • mad_rich
    • By mad_rich 27th May 10, 6:55 AM
    • 840 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    mad_rich
    Is flying in Africa a little bit seat-of-the-pants? Yes

Does one recent crash make Afriqiyah Airways unsafe? Not really

Does Air France have a poor safety record? Surprisingly, yes

Would I worry about it? No, I would worry about the car journeys instead

Would I spend 200 extra to go with Air France? Quite possibly, for comfort if anything (although AF is no luxury either)
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 27th May 10, 9:07 AM
    • 13,311 Posts
    • 9,167 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    On the safety issues, as someone has helpfully posted Afriqiyah use new aeroplanes and so their equipment is likely to be fine. Does one recent crash mean that they are unsafe? Probably not, unless it reveals something unsafe about the way they operate. And that is the essential point -- the reports that Tripoli airport does not have proper guidance systems, and a 'plane landing at sunrise has to fly into the sun and so there is a risk of the pilot being dazzled, while the pilot's eyes are the main way in which the 'plane is guided on to the runway. If that is still the case, then the safety of this journey is placed in doubt.
  • Moonchild
    Flying isn't a problem. Like most modes of transport, it's coming to a sudden stop that spoils your day...

Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    What a perfect username! Made me laugh!

I echo all the above, except I would pay 200 more to fly on anyone else except Air France. I can't stand them, or CDG airport, yuk, yuk, yuk. But you may get to fly their A380 which is a perk as it flies on that route.

Are there any other options? Afriqiyah has a good on-board reputation considering they are in essence a 'low cost Libyan airline' - not normally a crowd puller. But i'd hesitate before putting my family on board in light of the recent crash. JNB has a zillion and one airlines flying there - there must be some other options?!
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 27th May 10, 1:18 PM
    • 13,311 Posts
    • 9,167 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    What a perfect username! Made me laugh!

I echo all the above, except I would pay 200 more to fly on anyone else except Air France. I can't stand them, or CDG airport, yuk, yuk, yuk. But you may get to fly their A380 which is a perk as it flies on that route.

Are there any other options? Afriqiyah has a good on-board reputation considering they are in essence a 'low cost Libyan airline' - not normally a crowd puller. But i'd hesitate before putting my family on board in light of the recent crash. JNB has a zillion and one airlines flying there - there must be some other options?!
    Originally posted by Moonchild
    I am actually in Cotonou (Republic of Benin), and my main options seem to be Air France (via the dreadful CDG); Afriqiyah of course; or Royal Air Maroc with an uncomfortably long wait in Casablanca.
  • Moonchild
    I am actually in Cotonou (Republic of Benin), and my main options seem to be Air France (via the dreadful CDG); Afriqiyah of course; or Royal Air Maroc with an uncomfortably long wait in Casablanca.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    Whoops, sorry, I have no idea where my presumption came from it JNB! Benin looks amazing (well, in terms of different!).

Royal Air Maroc do a 65 minute connection to their Gatwick flight on certain days (Thu & Sat prior to Jul, Tues afterwards - very inconsistent timetabling, but...) - play around with them. Air Arik are ok to the UK, not in reverse (never heard of them though - it's via Lagos!).

Brussels Airways start flying 6th July (not daily), Kenyan Airlines have terrible connections. Erm. Yeh, bit of a rock and hard place thing really. Sorry couldn't be of more help.
  • Mr Lahey
    Anyone who would pay 200 to fly on another airline purely for safety reasons - when both airlines are licensed within the EU is a mug.

As for Air France - Not particularly well known for their safety themselves!
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 28th May 10, 6:42 PM
    • 3,073 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    bagand96
    Anyone who would pay 200 to fly on another airline purely for safety reasons - when both airlines are licensed within the EU is a mug.

As for Air France - Not particularly well known for their safety themselves!
    Originally posted by Mr Lahey
    Afriqiyah are not licensed in the EU they are licensed in Libya?
    • cactusdust
    • By cactusdust 28th May 10, 8:08 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    cactusdust
    Anything could have bought that plane down. I don't think its fair to assume its the airlines fault without first reading the report of any formal investigation. They have a modern fleet and good safety record.

I wouldn't have a problem flying them, but its up to you!
    • peterbaker
    • By peterbaker 5th Jun 10, 8:18 PM
    • 2,771 Posts
    • 1,393 Thanks
    peterbaker
    Personally I'd probably try to do some research on whether the rising sun is within 5 degrees of the runway direction for my flight. If it is, then being paranoid, I'd elect to fly at another time. Trying to land visually into low sun can be challenging

On the other hand, we are also entitled to think that Afriqiya may have learned a few things from that accident.
  • jammin
    I had never heard of Afriqiyah prior to the crash.
    Originally posted by littlestar1981
    See, no such thing as bad publicity.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,523Posts Today

5,724Users online

Martin's Twitter